La Liga - 2015/2016

Needham

I doubt it, the premier league is at an all time low. We'll never know though and it's been/being covered in another thread anyway.
Agree about the Premier League but I was speaking specifically about just these two Spanish teams I'm watching now in terms of...
Valencia have been complete garbage
and
Valencia look terrible. Every pass goes astray when they get near the box, every shot fluffed etc
...look about right to me. Everton, a lower half Prem team for example, would, on their day, absolutely smash them out of sight.
I'll find that other thread you mention.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
It's incredible how poor Neville is doing overall, a few good results here and there, but overall he must be the worst Valencia manager for years.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It's incredible how poor Neville is doing overall, a few good results here and there, but overall he must be the worst Valencia manager for years.
Some competition to be Valencia's worst manager :lol:

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Valencia I seem to remember playing quite well under the last manager at the begining of the season. How it's all going incredibly wrong.

What is Lim's takeover all about?

Skorenzy

I don't think this was the most unexpected result in the world considering the context of how poorly Valencia have been doing this season, the fact that they had a tough away game to Athletic just 3 days ago in the EL and that this Levante side at home are always capable of dragging their opponents down to their level in niggly, foul-laden and, above all, scrappy games. Losing 3-0 at the Mestalla to Athletic a couple of weeks ago was a lot worse, in my opinion, though obviously a 0-0 or 1-1 draw would've been the minimum here. Also, the fact that Levante have been doing okay since Rossi joined them in the winter window. Him, Deyverson and especially Morales are carrying them - I'm kinda hoping they can avoid relegation.

Everton, a lower half Prem team for example, would, on their day, absolutely smash them out of sight.
I'll find that other thread you mention.
See now, that's the second time today someone mentions Everton as some sort of pillar of the PL's mid-table might... because they beat Chelsea in a brilliant FA Cup victory? They also managed to turn wins against Bournemouth and Stoke into last-minute defeats in unbelievable fashion. If anything they're incredibly comparable to this season's Valencia -- some impressive results here and there; draws with Barça and RM, scoring 3 on Málaga, thrashing Celta 5-1, thrashing Rapid Wien 10-0 on agg., but mostly throwing away points at home against lesser sides in pitiful displays of defending. Everton's saving grace has been their firepower in away games, which Valencia just don't have under Gary.

For what it's worth, at this point I'd back Everton to beat Valencia thorougly as well, but under Nuno with this same squad earlier in the season I'd call it even or slightly in favor of Valencia.

Skorenzy

Sevilla: Sergio Rico; Mariano, Rami, Carriço, Trémoulinas; N'Zonzi, Iborra; Konoplyanka, Éver Banega, Krohn-Dehli; y Gameiro.
Villarreal: Areola; Mario, Bonera, Víctor Ruiz, Bailly; Bruno, Pina, Rukavina, Denis Suárez; Adrián y Bakambu.

Sevilla-Villarreal kicked off, already two great chances to open the scoring missed by a spirited Sevilla side - Vitolo out injured for them, Soldado missing for Villarreal through suspension. Good to see Konoplyanka starting for once, one of Emery's weirder decisions that as he's looked impressive most times he's on the pitch.

prarek

He's a little better than Koeman (who won the cup though), Valdano and a guy called Antonio Lopez, but that's it over the last 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Valencia_CF_managers
Aside from the cup win i remember Koeman being a complete disaster in the league and CL. And he had a much better team. He took a CL team to the bottom half of La Liga for much of the season. This is definitely the worst season i can remember since Koeman in terms of performances.

Skorenzy

1-0 Iborra, very unselfish set-up play by Gameiro... rocketting away from Víctor Ruíz and squaring for the tap-in.

Skorenzy

Gameiro is imo Sevilla´s best players this season.
Yeah maybe, Krychowiak was marvellous pre-injury and Mariano has been excellent all season but rotated a lot. Vitolo too, but not enough end product. Krohn-Dehli not up to his Celta level yet and Konoplyanka not given enough confidence by Emery in my opinion, because at his best he's easily the most talented player in this side apart from perhaps only Banega. Speaking of the devil, it'd still put him ahead of Gameiro for this season, simply because despite his inconsistency he's been so important to them (they usually struggle without him).

For Villarreal, Bruno Soriano and Mario have shone all season (again I'd place both among the top-5 La Liga MF & DF respectively)... Bakambu with the goals and Soldado with the set-ups usually, Dennis Suárez the main creative force looks to be developping nicely as well.

prarek

Great chance for Villareal. Rico saves Baptistaos header from close range and cleared off the line.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Today's the day the Valencians have their derby. This year it's bottom of La Liga Vs mid-table.

Now the thing is, the Noon kickoff could have some really odd effects today. Traditionally, because Las Fallas is just getting rolling in earnest, the fans and the players will arrive with hangovers. Serious partygoers will have taken the 8am Desperta (wake up fireworks) as an instruction to go to bed. So don't be surprised if the atmosphere is a little odd. Or indeed if the stadium empties at halftime if the score isn't looking too good - they're heading to the town hall square for the Mascleta show. Claro.

Levante start with:
Mariño; Lerma, Medjani, Feddal, Juanfran; Verdú, Simao, Verza, Morales; Rossi y Deyverson
V
Valencia's
Alves; Cancelo, Mustafi, Abdennour, Siqueira; Javi Fuego, Parejo, André Gomes; Feghouli, Piatti y Alcácer

Bon Festes.
@jojojo , will you be in Valencia? It´s too late, if not perhaps Neville could get his own ninot :lol: . A video of Mascletá this year, for who doesn´t know what is, the valencians love firecrackers

prarek

Oh wow what a chance for Villareal! Rico was well beaten outside the box. Great defending from Rami. Madness.

Skorenzy

Second vital clearance to prevent Villarreal equalising, this time Bakambu looked nailed on to complete his hat-trick, what a block tackle by Rami.

prarek

What a game, what an ending. Was a must win game for Sevilla. 4th place is far from over.

Skorenzy

OOOOooooooooOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh *Gary Neville* 4-2 Reyes!
Hah, quite unlucky Villarreal not to get anything from this game... but just shows once again how much firepower Emery's Sevilla have at the Sánchez Pizjuán. First time anyone's scored 4 on Villarreal this season.

prarek

Hah, quite unlucky Villarreal not to get anything from this game... but just shows once again how much firepower Emery's Sevilla have at the Sánchez Pizjuán. First time anyone's scored 4 on Villarreal this season.
Indeed Villareal had enough chances. I must admit i did want Sevilla to win. I want it to be a dramatic finale like last season.

Skorenzy

Indeed Villareal had enough chances. I must admit i did want Sevilla to win. I want it to be a dramatic finale like last season.
I'm really hoping Celta can finally make it into Europe this season.. for the past two they've steamed ahead impressively in the first part of the season only to be undone by loss of form and/or injuries to key players in the second. Nolito's injury this season hurt them badly, especially as their squad is so small. This time they should be alright as long as they finish in the top-7 (with Sevilla and Barça being in the cup final). Would love to see them in the EL (or CL but that's looking out of reach honestly).

That 4th CL spot is currently looking like a nice battle again (like last season's) with Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic (if they win today) and Celta (long-shot) all still in contention. And Sevilla & Athletic look like picking up momentum, while Villarreal are on a relatively poor run of form right now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
@jojojo , will you be in Valencia? It´s too late, if not perhaps Neville could get his own ninot :lol: . A video of Mascletá this year, for who doesn´t know what is, the valencians love firecrackers
I'm expecting to at least one Neville ninot - the fallas will all be in place on Wednesday, so we'll see. :D A friend of mine is a director with a firework company in Valencia and this year it will be his turn to do the 19th March mascleta and the big Nit de Focs. Unfortunately I can't go, but it will be live on regional TV - not the same, but...

Meanwhile Sevilla win 4-2. Wow.

Athletic are leading Betis 2-0, second half has just started.