Television Leaving Neverland....Harrowing Michael Jackson Documentary

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Plus, there's the 'he makes us money' angle:
Guardian said:
Last week, the Atlantic published a lengthy investigation, relying on more than 50 sources, alleging the X-Men director’s predatory and abusive behaviour – including rape – towards young men and underage boys. Many of the teenagers were vulnerable and without family support. The magazine builds a powerful case that friends, associates and ultimately his industry aided and abetted Bryan Singer.

Yet Avi Lerner, whose Millennium Films is the studio producing Red Sonja, this week dismissed it as “fake news”. He added that, “the over $800m Bohemian Rhapsody has grossed, making it the highest grossing drama in film history, is testament to [Bryan Singer’s] remarkable vision and acumen”.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why, if Jackson innocently craved the company of children, did he not simply adopt some? A person of his means should've been able to...so why didn't he do so instead of 'borrowing' an ever-changing cast of other people's kids? Hmm...

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Why, if Jackson innocently craved the company of children, did he not simply adopt some? A person of his means should've been able to...so why didn't he do so instead of 'borrowing' an ever-changing cast of other people's kids? Hmm...
Because he was a massive nonce

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There was something about him supposedly wanting to help kids, so it could be argued he wanted to interact with and help as many as possible. It's probably because he's a massive nonce though.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I watched and I thought the two guys were believable. I understand the uproar about the money side of things but there was just way too much questionable behaviour from Jackson for me which makes me think they were telling the truth.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just watched the first episode and feel physically ill.
This personally pushes me towards the "he's innocent" bracket.
Have you never listened to any of the catholic priests talk about how they perceived the children and their relationship with them? You should listen to Joaquín Benítez in Examination of Conscience and Oliver Grady in Deliver Us From Evil. Love, compassion, kindness. That's what they felt they were sharing. Just to be clear, they confessed to their crimes. In the latter case, a truly sickening number.

If you want to look at this in the most sympathetic way possible towards MJ, that's cool, you do you. But you're doing a disservice to these people if you don't challenge the assumptions that sympathy is founded upon. That's not looking at things from another perspective. That's active ignorance for selfish reasons.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Just watched the first episode and feel physically ill.

Have you never listened to any of the catholic priests talk about how they perceived the children and their relationship with them? You should listen to Joaquín Benítez in Examination of Conscience and Oliver Grady in Deliver Us From Evil. Love, compassion, kindness. That's what they felt. Just to be clear, they confessed to their crimes. In the latter case, a truly sickening number.

If you want to look at this in the most sympathetic way possible, that's cool, you do you. But you're doing a disservice to these people if you don't challenge the assumptions that sympathy is founded upon. That's not looking at things from another perspective. That's active ignorance for selfish reasons.
First of all, I was only saying that in that instance MJ is providing an alibi.

Secondly, it goes both ways. I am not denying what MJ has done or accepting it because I am in no position to know whether or not something happened or not. All I can do is have faith that a proper investigation team would figure it out.

If you truly believe that a few documentaries and "weirdness" of a person is enough to accept he did it then do you also think we should get rid of courts for "obvious" cases? Good on you if you believe this but if there is even a 1 percent chance MJ is innocent, then labelling an innocent man to have been guilty of all these crimes would be quite sickening.

Like I said, I simply don't believe I have the information. I think it's quite possible it did happen but also probable it didn't. How can I take a stance with this information. Investigation units exist for a reason.

Brwned

First of all, I was only saying that in that instance MJ is providing an alibi.

Secondly, it goes both ways. I am not denying what MJ has done or accepting it because I am in no position to know whether or not something happened or not. All I can do is have faith that a proper investigation team would figure it out.

If you truly believe that a few documentaries and "weirdness" of a person is enough to accept he did it then do you also think we should get rid of courts for "obvious" cases? Good on you if you believe this but if there is even a 1 percent chance MJ is innocent, then labelling an innocent man to have been guilty of all these crimes would be quite sickening.

Like I said, I simply don't believe I have the information. I think it's quite possible it did happen but also probable it didn't. How can I take a stance with this information. Investigation units exist for a reason.
Yes, but the point you seem to be wilfully ignoring is the people who use this reasoning so freely, are the people who also do these things. For you to believe this is a plausible "alibi" would suggest you know other people who would say this, but don't mean "sexually exploit" when they say "show love". Because you do know people who would say this and have allied it sexual exploitation. Or at least you can, if you want to. MJ is not unique in having a lost childhood, and an unusual perception of children in his adult life.

I find it weird that you're focusing on these documentaries. These inanimate objects. It's not the documentaries that communicate the message. It's the people. You're making a choice to believe MJ, when you say it's probable it didn't happen. Other people who think it's "probable" it did happen are also making a choice to believe people. They're not being misled by some dramatic narrative. They're not following a crowd of opinions. They're doing exactly what you're doing.

entropy

When children are being groomed to be sexually abused or exploited they are often told that the acts the most natural thing in the world and it's a sign of love. Pedophiles don't molest every child they see. They target children and families who are susceptible, they can then manipulate and create situations that give them time with a victim. It's very rarely an act of opportunity especially with long periods of abuse.
Not only that but they end up blaming themselves for most of their lives. Especially in the face of public scrutiny when everyone questions their motives and agendas. It takes years and years of therapy to come to terms with what happened to them or even forgive their parents.

shamans

Yes, but the point you seem to be wilfully ignoring is the people who use this reasoning so freely, are the people who also do these things. For you to believe this is a plausible "alibi" would suggest you know other people who would say this, but don't mean "sexually exploit" when they say "show love". Because you do know people who would say this and have allied it sexual exploitation. Or at least you can, if you want to. MJ is not unique in having a lost childhood, and an unusual perception of children in his adult life.

I find it weird that you're focusing on these documentaries. These inanimate objects. It's not the documentaries that communicate the message. It's the people. You're making a choice to believe MJ, when you say it's probable it didn't happen. Other people who think it's "probable" it did happen are also making a choice to believe people. They're not being misled by some dramatic narrative. They're not following a crowd of opinions. They're doing exactly what you're doing.

So what should I focus on if not documentaries? What all do we have right now to be able to make a judgement? It's the only way we can make one. That or wikipedia articles.

And yes it's a plausible alibi because not everyone who sleeps with children would have abused them. Maybe there's a very high chance they would have but like I said, not everyone. For instance, it seems very possible Macauly Culkin was not abused and they spent a fair amount of time together as well. Are you saying anyone who sleeps with a child MUST be punished because that is proof enough for the abuse?

Okay, the argument I'm coming across may also be used by the people who do this but what have I got to do with them? Just because they abuse this form of reasoning for their own power doesn't mean I can't use it myself to make a fair judgement.

As for your last point, I am making a choice to abstain from making a judgement. I can't say for sure MJ was innocent and vice versa. I simply do not have access to all that information to make a judgement.

I disagree about not being misled by dramatic narrative. The main selling point of this latest documentary is the vivid detail and emotions portrayed by the alleged victims. It is what makes it possible to believe that they indeed may have been victims of MJ.

Also, if they were abused it is extremely sad and depressing. However, you can't do much now. They had the chance to testify I believe. The FBI couldn't find much. I mean, admitting to all the stuff that happened and releasing a documentary after the death of MJ unfortunately cannot be conclusive evidence.

Unless someone of authority actually decides to reinvestigate this and come to a conclusion, I can't say for sure that MJ did this. I also am not gonna go around defending him for obvious reasons.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'm not really a fan of Joe Rogan's show, but I'm kind of in the same place as him with this topic - it's weird, it's sad, it isn't normal, he isn't alive to defend himself properly, when he was alive he was tried (unlike many of the recent celeb cases that've come to light - Jim'll Fix It, politicians etc who were actively protected by the authorities until they died...) and was found innocent in a trial that seemed very thorough and also seemed to take a great deal out of him...

Rogan and co also mention that Jackson was apparently chemically castrated? I didn't know this previously, not sure it challenges the allegations anyway, but yeah.

Jackson was obviously a very odd, and I think quite seriously mentally ill person. His openness about his connection with children is very unique - I can't think of any other cases like this where the person flat out advertised that they slept in the same bed as children... Which I guess might suggest that if he was guilty he was approaching criminally insane - unable to actually know the difference between right and wrong?

He just seemed like he was from another planet in a way. And I'm not comfortable either way - I'm not comfortable condemning a man that was tried and found innocent in his lifetime, and I'm also not comfortable dismissing the words of these men.

I suppose all I know is that I hope he was innocent - which is possible. But I have genuinely no clue what happened, none of us do.

Brwned

So what should I focus on if not documentaries? What all do we have right now to be able to make a judgement? It's the only way we can make one. That or wikipedia articles.

And yes it's a plausible alibi because not everyone who sleeps with children would have abused them. Maybe there's a very high chance they would have but like I said, not everyone. For instance, it seems very possible Macauly Culkin was not abused and they spent a fair amount of time together as well. Are you saying anyone who sleeps with a child MUST be punished because that is proof enough for the abuse?

Okay, the argument I'm coming across may also be used by the people who do this but what have I got to do with them? Just because they abuse this form of reasoning for their own power doesn't mean I can't use it myself to make a fair judgement.

As for your last point, I am making a choice to abstain from making a judgement. I can't say for sure MJ was innocent and vice versa. I simply do not have access to all that information to make a judgement.

I disagree about not being misled by dramatic narrative. The main selling point of this latest documentary is the vivid detail and emotions portrayed by the alleged victims. It is what makes it possible to believe that they indeed may have been victims of MJ.

Also, if they were abused it is extremely sad and depressing. However, you can't do much now. They had the chance to testify I believe. The FBI couldn't find much. I mean, admitting to all the stuff that happened and releasing a documentary after the death of MJ unfortunately cannot be conclusive evidence.

Unless someone of authority actually decides to reinvestigate this and come to a conclusion, I can't say for sure that MJ did this. I also am not gonna go around defending him for obvious reasons.
You have made a judgment. You said he's probably innocent just minutes ago. The cognitive dissonance is there for you to see.

I don't think anyone that sleeps with children is a child molester. I think anyone that speaks about it openly in that way is telling you something about themselves, though. After settling the civil case. Then buying this other woman a house.

Seriously, listen to those two priests if you really want to understand what that means. Or show me an example of it meaning anything else. Likewise @Rhyme Animal. It is not a unique way to describe precisely that situation.

shamans

You have made a judgment. You said he's probably innocent just minutes ago. The cognitive dissonance is there for you to see.

I don't think anyone that sleeps with children is a child molester. I think anyone that speaks about it openly in that way is telling you something about themselves, though. After settling the civil case. Then buying this other woman a house.

Seriously, listen to those two priests if you really want to understand what that means. Or show me an example of it meaning anything else. Likewise @Rhyme Animal. It is not a unique way to describe precisely that situation.
I didn't say he's probably innocent. I said (or at least meant) that his innocence is also a probability = the fact that he is innocent is also probable. The fact that he is guilty may be more possible but that doesn't change that.

shamans

I'm not really a fan of Joe Rogan's show, but I'm kind of in the same place as him with this topic - it's weird, it's sad, it isn't normal, he isn't alive to defend himself properly, when he was alive he was tried (unlike many of the recent celeb cases that've come to light - Jim'll Fix It, politicians etc who were actively protected by the authorities until they died...) and was found innocent in a trial that seemed very thorough and also seemed to take a great deal out of him...

Rogan and co also mention that Jackson was apparently chemically castrated? I didn't know this previously, not sure it challenges the allegations anyway, but yeah.

Jackson was obviously a very odd, and I think quite seriously mentally ill person. His openness about his connection with children is very unique - I can't think of any other cases like this where the person flat out advertised that they slept in the same bed as children... Which I guess might suggest that if he was guilty he was approaching criminally insane - unable to actually know the difference between right and wrong?

He just seemed like he was from another planet in a way. And I'm not comfortable either way - I'm not comfortable condemning a man that was tried and found innocent in his lifetime, and I'm also not comfortable dismissing the words of these men.

I suppose all I know is that I hope he was innocent - which is possible. But I have genuinely no clue what happened, none of us do.
This basically.

Brwned

I didn't say he's probably innocent. I said (or at least meant) that his innocence is also a probability = the fact that he is innocent is also probable. The fact that he is guilty may be more possible but that doesn't change that.
What you said was that it was possible he was guilty and probable he wasn't. I don't know why you used the words in that order if the opposite is a true representation of your assessment, but let's not confuse things here - probable means it is likely that is the case.

Big Andy

Bloke
I’m watching episode 1 tonight, does anything mention about the kids testifying at the trial that he was innocent?

It’s all a bit fishy to me

UncleBob

I’m watching episode 1 tonight, does anything mention about the kids testifying at the trial that he was innocent?

Yeah, they try to explain it

Given that people are happy to lie in low profile cases just to hurt someone else on the basis of being pissed off, I'm happy to believe that there are people that will lie about abuse in high profile cases where money, and lots of it, is involved.

My problem with the documentary, is that there's no attempts of providing evidence of anything, it's their story and that's it. I find it difficult to believe, from a personal point of view, that given what Robson claims in the documentary about the 2005 trial, he manages to get though cross examinations and testify without anyone picking up on it. The timeline, for me, just doesn't make sense. So he didn't want to testify and he says he worked up the courage to tell Michael but he was convinced to testify, yet he keeps praising Michael in the years to come. Robson says it all started to come down after he became a father in 2010, his realization that he was abused by Michael etc and him finally confronting the truth. Yet in 2011 he's begging for a part in the Cirque du Soleil in Vegas, wanting to make the show fantastic in memory of Michael, and in 2012 he's interviewed talking about his love for Michael Jackson, still dancing to his music etc, praising him as a person, the same year that he's trying to find someone willing to publish a book about him being sexually abused by Michael Jackson, in 2013, a month before the premiere of the Cirque du Soleil show, he launches a lawsuit where he wants $1.3-1.6 billion.

Show this thread - read the fragments from the lawsuit

It's interesting to read the timeline surrounding the lawsuit, and not to mention the stuff about how he's redacted a shitload of emails between him and his family.

https://www.scribd.com/document/341877298/Order-on-MJ-Estate-Motion-to-Compel-Robson

I just find it insanely difficult to have faith in Robson telling the truth.
Last edited: Yesterday at 18:50

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Can't find the piece I read on this the other day, but it was my understanding that Robson/Chandler have been discredited on many occasions and shown to be completely untrustworthy. Still trying to find it.

Last edited:

Brwned

If you think that kids have never defended their abusers before then that's only because you haven't looked at abuse cases before. The idea that from your vantage point you can judge their actions is kinda mad, if you give it any serious thought.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Nah, chemical castration is non permanent so even if his dad did that to him, Jackson would have had to maintain it throughout his life every 3-5 years.

Tarrou

finished this last night, that bit when Wade described telling his family was heartbreaking :(

shamans

What you said was that it was possible he was guilty and probable he wasn't. I don't know why you used the words in that order if the opposite is a true representation of your assessment, but let's not confuse things here - probable means it is likely that is the case.
Im using the mathematic probable. Its probable too that he was innocent.

Brwned

Yeah, they try to explain it

Given that people are happy to lie in low profile cases just to hurt someone else on the basis of being pissed off, I'm happy to believe that there are people that will lie about abuse in high profile cases where money, and lots of it, is involved.

My problem with the documentary, is that there's no attempts of providing evidence of anything, it's their story and that's it. I find it difficult to believe, from a personal point of view, that given what Robson claims in the documentary about the 2005 trial, he manages to get though cross examinations and testify without anyone picking up on it. The timeline, for me, just doesn't make sense. So he didn't want to testify and he says he worked up the courage to tell Michael but he was convinced to testify, yet he keeps praising Michael in the years to come. Robson says it all started to come down after he became a father in 2010, his realization that he was abused by Michael etc and him finally confronting the truth. Yet in 2011 he's begging for a part in the Cirque du Soleil in Vegas, wanting to make the show fantastic in memory of Michael, and in 2012 he's interviewed talking about his love for Michael Jackson, still dancing to his music etc, praising him as a person, the same year that he's trying to find someone willing to publish a book about him being sexually abused by Michael Jackson, in 2013, a month before the premiere of the Cirque du Soleil show, he launches a lawsuit where he wants $1.3-1.6 billion.

Show this thread - read the fragments from the lawsuit

It's interesting to read the timeline surrounding the lawsuit, and not to mention the stuff about how he's redacted a shitload of emails between him and his family.

https://www.scribd.com/document/341877298/Order-on-MJ-Estate-Motion-to-Compel-Robson

I just find it insanely difficult to have faith in Robson telling the truth.
Last edited: Yesterday at 18:50
Are you suggesting here that a person can't possibly love someone that abused them, that did something they now find despicable? Or is it a narrower point that you can't possibly want to hurt someone that you love (even if it's in response to them hurting you)? I'm really struggling here why love enters into your mind at all as contradictory evidence.

Last edited:

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Holy shit i actually just shed a tear for this wade guy when he finally tells his family. fecking mental.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I'm struggling to watch this. Started it before and I'm considering turning it off.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was going to post a link to Kyle Dunnigan's MJ impression but thought better of it (don't want to get banned).

Google it if you like your comedy darker than a black hole.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I was going to post a link to Kyle Dunnigan's MJ impression but thought better of it (don't want to get banned).

I’m intrigued :lol:

Edit: Not up there with “Michael Jackson’s Children’s Hospital” but it was okay

JonDahl

He was a fecking scumbag nonce.

The absolute state of people defending him and his actions as well.

Tarrou

Just started watching the Oprah special, fecking hell James looks like he hasn’t slept for a week

UncleBob

Are you suggesting here that a person can't possibly love someone that abused them, that something they now find despicable?
No ?

Or narrower point that you can't possibly want to hurt someone that you love (even if it's in response to them hurting you)?
No ?

I'm really struggling here why love enters into your mind at all as contradictory evidence.
As far as i'm aware, i haven't focused on love specifically as a contradictory evidence, not entirely sure why this is what you choose to focus on.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Is that enough to get you banned? I've seen and it's brilliant by the way.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
He’s right. He 100% had some sort of sexual interest in children and is by definition a paedophile. Whether he actually acted upon it is a different question.
Course he did, it was blatantly obvious watching that documentary, did you watch it? I genuinely think he was a boy in a mans body who fell in love with other kids . When you hear some of the confessions of convicted paedophiles alot of them profess their genuine love for the kids they abused. Its totally fecked up.

Brwned

No ?

No ?

As far as i'm aware, i haven't focused on love specifically as a contradictory evidence, not entirely sure why this is what you choose to focus on.
Yay. Debating games. I suggest rather than dragging out the discussion by questioning and deflecting questions, you just jump straight to what your point was. I'll start by clarifying my question.

The timeline, for me, just doesn't make sense. So he didn't want to testify and he says he worked up the courage to tell Michael but he was convinced to testify, yet he keeps praising Michael in the years to come. Robson says it all started to come down after he became a father in 2010, his realization that he was abused by Michael etc and him finally confronting the truth. Yet in 2011 he's begging for a part in the Cirque du Soleil in Vegas, wanting to make the show fantastic in memory of Michael, and in 2012 he's interviewed talking about his love for Michael Jackson, still dancing to his music etc, praising him as a person, the same year that he's trying to find someone willing to publish a book about him being sexually abused by Michael Jackson, in 2013, a month before the premiere of the Cirque du Soleil show, he launches a lawsuit where he wants $1.3-1.6 billion.
Here's how I read this. The timeline doesn't make sense, because the way some of the evidence you've outlined lines up, doesn't quite fit. Something about that series of events is contradictory, which makes you suspicious. Let's break it down into those different elements:
  • In 2010 he "confronted the truth"
  • In the next couple of years he wanted to celebrate MJ's legacy at the Cirque du Soleil, said he loved him, talked about him fondly
  • During that time he also looked into writing a book about the abuse and sought to profit from it
The disconnect, as I understand it, is that middle part. How could he want to celebrate his legacy, how could he love him, how could he talk about him fondly, if he had "confronted the truth" and decided what MJ did to him was heinous. That seems a pretty straightforward interpretation of what you've said.

If so, what part of that doesn't make sense to you? Do you believe that he couldn't possibly have loved him, while at the same time thought what he did was heinous?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Course he did, it was blatantly obvious watching that documentary, did you watch it? I genuinely think he was a boy in a mans body who fell in love with other kids . When you hear some of the confessions of convicted paedophiles alot of them profess their genuine love for the kids they abused. Its totally fecked up.
Yeah I’ve watched it, I’m of the opinion he is absolutely guilty.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Michael Jackson literally went to great length to ensure that he won the trust of young children and their parents in order for them to share a bed with him unsupervised and on as many occasions as possible. This is not a disputed fact. This is not attacking the character of someone who is now deceased. Jackson himself admitted this. It's baffling that, as Theroux said in his tweet, how many people want to allow themselves to be wilfully blind on the reality of the depravity of the entire situation.