Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

Pearl.Jam

Shouldn’t even be a debate, Messi is head and shoulders above Ronalod which ever way you look at it, plus he’s not a narcissistic, egocentric, absolute shithead of a person either

nickm

The hell he is, as they didn't get to the final because of him unlike Maradona, has levels of protection from refs, to be expected given he's fifa's/uefa's love child, plays on pristine pitches with better players around him to do his running, gets a rub and goes down like William Defoe, tax cheat who has tens of millions in his bank, a bully who suffers massively from Napoleon syndrome, so "goat" me arse.
You badly need to read a maradona bio if those are your criteria.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I see you Dave.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Say hello to Mbappe vs Haaland threads
Well I rarely posted in the Ronaldo vs Messi debate because I appreciate both even though I'm portuguese.

I doubt he will do it because of his personality but Ronaldo has to appreciate the fact that this was actually a debate for while although now it's completely settled. For me Messi is without any doubt the GOAT in front of my favorite player of all time Maradona. I actually saw Maradona play live for Napoli against Sporting at the Old José Alvalade.

I don't care about the Mbappe VS Haaland because it's completely one sided. Haaland has no chance being Norwegian.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He is the best.

And I will take Angel di Maria becoming a world champion if it means Messi getting one up on Ronaldo.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
As a massive Ronaldo/United fan I can't deny that Messi is the goat.
The international argument was stupid to begin with.Anyone with an ounce of intellect would realize that smallest % of players ever win anything with their nations. Many phenomenal players have no international honours. It’s simply the “Maradona” effect but he was literally a one off.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well I rarely posted in the Ronaldo vs Messi debate because I appreciate both even though I'm portuguese.

I doubt he will do it because of his personality but Ronaldo has to appreciate the fact that this was actually a debate for while although now it's completely settled. For me Messi is without any doubt the GOAT in front of my favorite player of all time Maradona. I actually saw Maradona play live for Napoli against Sporting at the Old José Alvalade.

I don't care about the Mbappe VS Haaland because it's completely one sided. Haaland has no chance being Norwegian.
Fun thing regarding that Sporting/Napoli UEFA Cup Match at Alvalade was that Maradona barely played on the first leg If I am not wrong, he missed the entire pre season because he was forcing a transfer with Luciano Moggi who at the time was at Napoli (before the Juventus saga) but he had to come back, don't remember how he played on the second leg but it was the first time he missed a penalty vs Ivkovic, before Italy 90 match against Yugoslavia. In the end he missed and his teams won, but that's another matter.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Until this World Cup I wasn't sure and preferred Ronaldo. Had Him, Messi or Maradona as goat, but it's clear and obvious now.

The one thing I had against Messi was that he had it "easy" at Barcelona, but the pressure on him has never been as big as during this WC and he delivered big time. Messi is the goat, no debate.

Zen

The international argument was stupid to begin with.Anyone with an ounce of intellect would realize that smallest % of players ever win anything with their nations. Many phenomenal players have no international honours. It’s simply the “Maradona” effect but he was literally a one off.
Yet... almost every elite player since Pele 58 has answered the international argument. So it's not stupid, the players know it matters.

Rustyspider13

No question now. The debate was over long ago tbh but even Messi's most vocal detractors have to admit it now. A fairy tale ending to an incredible career.

tjb

He is the greatest of all time. It's not close.

Messi was already a better player than Maradona, Pele or Ronaldo. He has produced at such a high level for such a long time with such a high level of consistency. His focus was always on the game and he gave the game all he had. People didn't use to evaluate and pick apart Maradona's weekly performances like they did with Messi/Ronaldo. Yet on a weekly basis for such a long time, both were basically faultless, more effective than any players before them. Messi has been providing this level of quality since at least 2008, winning and dominating both his domestic league and the champions league.

The world cup was the only excuse people had to deny that he was indeed the greatest. He's achieved far more than anyone else has and in a far more consistent manner.

Luke1995

I think it's certainly fair to consider him the best ever.

The only person I would rank ahead of him is Pelé because he scored more than 1000 career goals. Although not oficially because teams played way more friendlies back then.

Remember that in Pelé's time, the cameras did not caught every single thing he did. Many games and touches were not recorded.

But with this World Cup win, Messi should be ahead of the likes of C.Ronaldo and Maradona. It's tough to make the Pelé comparison due to being such different moments in time.

Joel Miller

I feel sorry for anyone still trying to make a case for CR7, it’s just embarrassing at this point.

It’s too difficult to compare players of different eras, Maradona and Messi are probably the two greatest. But doing it at a World Cup in that fashion, at 35 years old, with the pressure of everyone constantly going on about Diego and the social media age. If forced to try and pick I’d give the edge to Messi based on that. He also has a Copa America so actually went one better than Diego for his country.

Rememeber the days when people used to say he wouldn’t do anything without Xavi and Iniesta. Those claims really do seem ludicrous now.

FriedClams

not sure what else the guy can do to be the best ever. Longevity has to play a part, regardless of era.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I feel sorry for anyone still trying to make a case for CR7, it’s just embarrassing at this point.

It’s too difficult to compare players of different eras, Maradona and Messi are probably the two greatest. But doing it at a World Cup in that fashion, at 35 years old, with the pressure of everyone constantly going on about Diego and the social media age. If forced to try and pick I’d give the edge to Messi based on that. He also has a Copa America so actually went one better than Diego for his country.

Rememeber the days when people used to say he wouldn’t do anything without Xavi and Iniesta. Those claims really do seem ludicrous now.
I never understood that. He just needed a functional team and these last few years of multiple successes show that. He was managed by Diego Maradona for one WC ffs. Shows how poorly Argentina NT was run.

MalcolmTucker

To perform as he has at nearly 36 years old at a world cup is unprecedented.

No one has performed at his level for as long as he has and he's won it all now.

You can watch Maradona game highlights on YouTube for Napoli, as great as he was, Messi has hundreds of analogous games.

He's the greatest who has ever played football

Pocho

Ronaldo is, was and always will be better. The fact that Messi had better players around him for whole career doesn't change that fact.
you are really having a bad time. Be strong.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think Maradona and Pele did it in Premierleague though. Messi did score a lot against English teams even though he hasn't faced Stoke City tbf
No PL back then and let’s face it in the back of minds we all want to see the best and how they would do in the best league. Honestly if Messi played in the PL and had the stats he does this debate would have been done already. As it stands on Ronaldo tested his talent in the PL and he came out as one of the greats and I’m sure Messi would have done just as well but we’ll never know.

BorisManUtd

He's the best player I've ever seen and most probably best ever, too. Don't think any other player we compare to him had the longevity like he did, playing this good for 15+ years is amazing.

Tarrou

The hell he is, as they didn't get to the final because of him unlike Maradona, has levels of protection from refs, to be expected given he's fifa's/uefa's love child, plays on pristine pitches with better players around him to do his running, gets a rub and goes down like William Defoe, tax cheat who has tens of millions in his bank, a bully who suffers massively from Napoleon syndrome, so "goat" me arse.
well you sound totally reasonable and sane

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Terrible post, could you cry any louder?

Renegade

No PL back then and let’s face it in the back of minds we all want to see the best and how they would do in the best league. Honestly if Messi played in the PL and had the stats he does this debate would have been done already. As it stands on Ronaldo tested his talent in the PL and he came out as one of the greats and I’m sure Messi would have done just as well but we’ll never know.
Zidane, R9 & Ronaldinho didn’t bother with the EPL either. Aguero & Tevez tore the Prem to shreds but Messi has to prove hismelf Vs Stoke & West Ham?

Nonsense.

hobbers

Never in doubt. Even the Ronaldo stans know the dream is over. They've wasted their time idolising the second best. How embarrassing.

youngrell

Find it so bizarre how a football fan can dislike this guy because he’s better than their favourite player.

How can you watch this guy’s career and not enjoy it as a football fan? His talent should be cherished for as long as possible.

BSSM

The debate is over. This will be a very short and cordial thread with everyone just agreeing.

Form an orderly queue, one post per person. Thank you and goodnight.
There was never a debate the great man always stood alone, and at this World Cup put any argument to bed. Long live the goat

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Zidane, R9 & Ronaldinho didn’t bother with the EPL either. Aguero & Tevez tore the Prem to shreds but Messi has to prove hismelf Vs Stoke & West Ham?

Nonsense.
Messi has also played PL teams numerous times in the CL. Who could forget the 2 finals against Man Utd.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is this even a debate anymore?
It is, still. That's the nature of the beast, I suppose. The margins are soo fine and unquantifiable at the very top that you can have a preference for one or other while maintaining an air of reasonability. But someone who reckons Messi is the absolute greatest can now make exceptionally strong and objective arguments for practically every metric of greatness (maybe the strongest of all). Personally speaking, yes — he is the greatest and the best, by a slight but poignant margin. Just so complete in that he could score at a similar rate to Müller or Cristiano, dribble at a comparable level to Maradona or Best when they were on song, and slice open opposition defenses with an offensive passing range that rivaled the likes of Laudrup or Zico. No one else was as mindbogglingly good when you combine all three aspects of attacking play. When you consider that component with his legacy as the leading edge of one of the most fearsome and iconic teams of all time, personal and collective accomplishments (with this World Cup and the Golden Ball being the cherries on top), and staggering longevity (the wee fella has been the best or one of the very best for 15 years now), it's as close as you can get to an ironclad case. Then you have Mr. Pelé, the former “greatest footballer of all time” — the unsurpassed benchmark for half-a-century. Followed by Maradona, another “greatest footballer of all time” candidate and arguably the most profound talent in the history of the sport. And finally the duo of Beckenbauer and Di Stéfano to round off the subjective Top 5.

P.S. Cristiano is thereabouts too. Ditto Cruyff. Didn't mean to disparage him (or them). All of these were era-defining titans, no doubt about that — just ahead of Puskás, Platini, Baresi, Zico, Fenômeno, Xavi, Meazza, Best, Müller, Garrincha, Eusébio, van Basten, Zidane, Maldini, Charlton, Matthäus and other wonderful, wonderful masters of football.

sherrinford

Messi played in the best league. For most of a decade.