Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Shouldn't being versatile is even an advantage if Clubs saw him doing well in both positions?
Its certainly a good thing when you want to make sure you have enough cover in your squad, but it could also make people not sure that his ideal position is CB. So they might be looking for only a CB, they might see a player who Ajax used as a DM at first, then moved to CB still as a midfielder used at CB. So then he's not on their radar. And likewise the other way clubs might be looking for a DM but wait, Ajax have now decided to use him as a CB. So maybe he doesnt make the list of our DM targets.

Thats the only reason I can see why people who actually watched him play wouldnt be sure about him and be interested in signing him.

IFC 1905

It's interesting to me the difference between him and someone like Rojo. He has far more quality on the ball of course, but how he manages to temper his aggression and time it perfectly, and never get sent off so far for us, whereas Rojo had that fire but was a walking red card. He is clearly a very smart and disciplined player. He is going to be huge for us in the coming years.
I have just seen that he’s been sent off just once, in Argentinian football, season 2017/2018. Two yellow cards.
You can see his aggression is always related to his ability to read the game and anticipate, he gets in perfect time to win balls clearly. Even his tackles are aggressive but always to the ball, unlike IE Romero, who sometimes get the ball, the player, the grass and everything.
At the same time he has a cool head to walk out of any sort of trouble there might be, even if he’s the one involved at first place :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Its certainly a good thing when you want to make sure you have enough cover in your squad, but it could also make people not sure that his ideal position is CB. So they might be looking for only a CB, they might see a player who Ajax used as a DM at first, then moved to CB still as a midfielder used at CB. So then he's not on their radar. And likewise the other way clubs might be looking for a DM but wait, Ajax have now decided to use him as a CB. So maybe he doesnt make the list of our DM targets.

Thats the only reason I can see why people who actually watched him play wouldnt be sure about him and be interested in signing him.
Make sense. I'm just glad he's ours.

He's like a sane, consistent, and fully fit Bailly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's interesting to me the difference between him and someone like Rojo. He has far more quality on the ball of course, but how he manages to temper his aggression and time it perfectly, and never get sent off so far for us, whereas Rojo had that fire but was a walking red card. He is clearly a very smart and disciplined player. He is going to be huge for us in the coming years.
I think he’s just way more skilful. In every way. He’s even mastered the art of sneakily deliberately hurting opposition players without even VAR catching him out. Did it against Villa, against Leeds and again at the weekend. That’s quite the art form.

G97

This lad is an absolute diamond. What a signing! Being at the final yesterday and watching the passion and celebrations over a League Cup trophy, from himself, Varane and Casemiro who have multiple champions leagues and world cups between them was incredible.

Chairman Steve

Bobby Moore, a player the English media without hesitation deem ‘best defender ever’ was just about 5’10.

But a guy 3cm shorter than him? Nah it could never work! May as well have Warwick Davis at the back!

crossy1686

career ending
Love him, I just hope he can keep these levels of controlled aggression and desire to defend for as long as possible, I'd hate to see him drop off and have to hear those Liverpool gobshites come back out of the woodwork.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Have to say I had my reservations about signing him but feck me has he proved me wrong. The ultimate warrior CB. Our best signing since RVP.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Have to say I had my reservations about signing him but feck me has he proved me wrong. The ultimate warrior CB. Our best signing since RVP.
Yep. I was excited for all our signings and didn't mind Martinez but felt he wasn't needed and was just making the meme of ten hag only buying Ajax players true... So very wrong. Love him, just world class.

next_number_seven

Yep. I was excited for all our signings and didn't mind Martinez but felt he wasn't needed and was just making the meme of ten hag only buying Ajax players true... So very wrong. Love him, just world class.
We were lacking in CB and DM under Ole

poleglass red

what a player, in this modern era of central defenders needing to be comfortable on the ball, he is that, but he has that aggression also of an old fashioned stopper. Great signing. I know we slag the Carraghers etc of this world for saying he couldn't play in PL due to his height, I have to be honest, I was a bit sceptical, but he's been fantastic.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Yes. We're incredibly "lucky" to have ETH to make this happened, as I don't think he'd even in our previous scout radar. I just think that if he performed as good as he's now at United, more Clubs would take notice.
I also think it’s because bigger teams in smaller leagues are expected to dominate, their defenders (outside of attacking FBs) are marginalized as “oh he plays for Salzburg and their budget is 10x everyone else’s of course he should dominate,” which admittedly has a small amount of merit to it. But at the same time it really is difficult to translate defensive stats due to the noise, especially nowadays, because it’s so reliant on tactics and team defending. I’m on the record in this very thread of being a super fan, but the stats would tell you (at least on fbref) that he’s not good in the air, ranking in the bottom 20%, and that’s one of the few statistical categories for defenders that exist that is noise proof for the most part. What isn’t quantifiable is his heart, passion, fearlessness, shithousery.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Agbonlahor would try to eat him. After finishing all the pies.
Actual good strikers struggled against him, Martinez would have the easiest game of his career against someone like Agbonlahor.

Status
Not open for further replies.