Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nicol is literally one of the worst pundits across all sports. How ESPN employ this clown year after year is beyond me.
A lot of pundits we see today played the game in bygone eras and their thoughts and beliefs are still entrenched in the past. A short CB playing for a coach who attempts to exert control in and out of possession is a alien concept for the likes of Nicol and Souness.

It's why I don't listen to their shite, unless a short clip via YouTube/twitter is made available, which reminds me why I stopped listening to their rubbish in the first place.

Chief123

If your a kid, he’s the kind of player you go out on your local playing field and try to emulate. Your confidence and ego inflates 10 fold and you feel like a hard man who goes and sticks a vicious reducer on your best mate because you want to be the local butcher. Once you leave your mate in a body bag, you ping the ball left footed across the field to rapid Rory to run on to.

slored1

My player of the season. Apart from his first two games he played at least a 7/10 match in every other one. Best defender in the league.

Oranges038

Have to say I absolutely love everything about this guy as a player. His attitude to defending is top notch, his passing ability on the ball is superb. He's got such a presence in defence that's hard to quantify.

What I like most about him is how he just physically dominates people, no fuss, just does it an gets on with his game.

Holters

I guess he did
Ah, you're one of those smartasses that spend time digging through old posts reacting to a player's performance in a game? I doubt you even watched the game these comments were based on because Martinez wasn't playing well in that game. Life would be boring if it was full of opinionless people like only you that only dare to say something once you have the answer in hand.

Martinez is an excellent player and a forms a brilliant partnership with Varane. Absolute class.

Last edited:

There is a player in there. He reads the game well and looks very good on the ball. He didn't do much wrong other than the third goal, which was more a slip than a height issue. Any player could have done that.

He will be fine, as long as we get a true DM in front of him.

With all the hunting through old posts I'm glad I was spot on with this guy back in August.

Fast becoming my favourite player of the post Ferguson era. He's the kind of defender I wanted to be when i was playing.

georgipep

It has been said to death but needs to be reiterated; Martinez is the same height as Baresi ffs. Everyone who saw Baresi has him as a top five centre half of all time, most have him at the top of that list.
True but your statement seems to imply that that particular height is what made Baresi great, and it really wasn't :) Otherwise I'd be out there, raking millions as a top-level CB too :D

(jk, I'm a bit taller, so it wouldn't work)

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You have to wonder, why it was only us and Arsenal showed interest in him? I mean, he played for Ajax for years who was exposed to Europe, not just for some obscure team.
Look at how half the caf posted about Eredivisie players or achievements. Many clubs are really also not as smart as you'd expect them to be.

Mike Smalling

It has been said to death but needs to be reiterated; Martinez is the same height as Baresi ffs. Everyone who saw Baresi has him as a top five centre half of all time, most have him at the top of that list.
Well, Baresi is one of the greatest players to ever play the game, so it sort of just highlights the point. ETH had to be hugely confident in Martinez' ability, because if his aggression, anticipation, bravery, etc. were not to the level we are seeing, he could easily be found out in a relatively physical league. And as we have seen, there were plenty of pundits that were eager to jump on the "he's too small for the PL" train, but thankfully ETH was smarter than them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Posts after first 2 games are hilarious to read, declaring him as our worst ever signing, writing him off after 2 games even though he barley made a mistake.

Nothing has changed, same herd probably moved/camped in other player's thread to shit on.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Last season we lacked leaders, now we have many of them. Martinez, Varane, Casemiro is the core and everyone of them are leaders.

EtH also mentioned De Gea as the player who knows how to win when he mentioned Varane, Casemiro. Looks like he rates DDG very highly.

If not Bruno then Martinez should be our captain. He is a pitbull.

Unam333

Last season we lacked leaders, now we have many of them. Martinez, Varane, Casemiro is the core and everyone of them are leaders.

EtH also mentioned De Gea as the player who knows how to win when he mentioned Varane, Casemiro. Looks like he rates DDG very highly.

If not Bruno then Martinez should be our captain. He is a pitbull.
Varane or Casemiro for me. They ooze class and leadership qualities.

meamth

He has this standing with the ball style that looks very commanding and full of authority.

Every time he does that nobody is brave enough to press him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Been an absolute goliath, his passing, strength and leadership are second to none for a centre back and along with Casemiro is the main reason we have a chance to beat anybody, couldn't ask for anymore.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Martinez, Varane and Casemiro is the triangle that we need to build around in the defensive third imo. All three players are outstanding in both the defensive and offensive transition. And everything revolves around them because they control the half and centre spaces which is crucial in initiating attacks and to zone control against the opposition transition in rest defense.

A new keeper and creative CM that are a fit for the play style ten Hag wants to implement, then I believe the build up potential will be elite. EtH is compromising right now which allowed Newcastle to have 62% off the ball. We won't get away with that often against better teams, so I expect to see the build up play improve considerably in the first phase next season.

meamth

Martinez, Varane and Casemiro is the triangle that we need to build around in the defensive third imo. All three players are outstanding in both the defensive and offensive transition. And everything revolves around them because they control the half and centre spaces which is crucial in initiating attacks and to zone control against the opposition transition in rest defense.

A new keeper and creative CM that are a fit for the play style ten Hag wants to implement, then I believe the build up potential will be elite. EtH is compromising right now which allowed Newcastle to have 62% off the ball. We won't get away with that often against better teams, so I expect to see the build up play improve considerably in the first phase next season.
We have like 2 seasons max with Casemiro and Varane ageing well into 30s.

We have to win the title next season, no excuses. New owners have to pull on the trigger and sign whatever players for United to dominate the next 2 seasons.

Remember the geese

I'm not sure where the limit is for this guy. I have no doubts that he can be a United legend. I think he could go on to be one of the best centre backs I've ever seen. He reminds me of guys like Rafael Marquez and Cannavaro. So lucky to have him!

Castia

Had my doubts with his size and most of his experience coming from the Dutch league….boy was I wrong he’s absolutely class. I love his fight and character as well, key player for us going forward.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We have like 2 seasons max with Casemiro and Varane ageing well into 30s.

We have to win the title next season, no excuses. New owners have to pull on the trigger and sign whatever players for United to dominate the next 2 seasons.
I'm talking about building around Casemiro, Varane and Martinez for next season. And I agree both Varane and Casemiro will probably decline in the next 2 years, so I hope we get rid of any player that is a detriment to us being a imposing front foot team from back to front.

I think if we bring in 3 or 4 new players next season that help us connect the dots as far as how ten Hag wants to dominate the opponent. Then I think we will genuinely challenge for the league and hit a points tally that will be in the mid to high 90s. I honestly think we're that close, and I haven't felt like that since Fergie.

meamth

I'm talking about building around Casemiro, Varane and Martinez for next season. And I agree both Varane and Casemiro will probably decline in the next 2 years, so I hope we get rid of any player that is a detriment to us being a imposing front foot team from back to front.

I think if we bring in 3 or 4 new players next season that help us connect the dots as far as how ten Hag wants to dominate the opponent. Then I think we will genuinely challenge for the league and hit a points tally that will be in the mid to high 90s. I honestly think we're that close, and I haven't felt like that since Fergie.
Exactly. Honestly thinking about this, I was against signing Kane, but now I think signing Kane is pivotal for us to achieve great things in the next 2-3 years.
Imagine the core of players we have with Kane, unstoppable. He will fit right in with that age together with Case and Varane.

Of course, depending on who purchased United will decide that fate of whether we will be successful next season.

Lisandro will carry on and will be the spine for years to come.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Exactly. Honestly thinking about this, I was against signing Kane, but now I think signing Kane is pivotal for us to achieve great things in the next 2-3 years.
Imagine the core of players we have with Kane, unstoppable. He will fit right in with that age together with Case and Varane.

Of course, depending on who purchased United will decide that fate of whether we will be successful next season.

Agreed.

gajender

Agreed Ideally we need starting Midfielder , Striker and a Keeper minimum to genuinely challenge on all fronts next year as well as truly go toe to toe against Elite opposition and depending on sales a young Casemiro's understudy along with Center Back would be a nice bonus.

Rossa

Best signing in ages. He may be our most important player alongside Casemiro, and then I'd put Varane and Rashford pretty much alongside the two of them. His aggression coupled with his silky smooth technique, vision, tenacity, grit, combativeness, agility and speed of thought is almost unprecedented. I'd argue his stature provides him with more positive abilities than being a little short to combat a handful of players in the air. Absolutely brilliant player and character on the pitch.

Rossa

Why would Varane necessarily decline in two years? He's 29? Casemiro perhaps, but not if we bring in someone who can rotate with him. It's as if people think you are physically shot after 25 these days. Look at Modric. Ronaldo was pretty phenomenal up until at least 35-36. Giggs. Robben was better after 30 than he ever was before. To suffer a serious decline at 30-33, I'd argue it requires poor training and/or a serious injury. Casemiro is fit as a fiddle, and Varane looks great physically - he seems to not go full pelt to avoid muscle injuries, which I think is wise - save it for the one time you might need it (still blew Lewa out of the water, mind).

meamth

Why would Varane necessarily decline in two years? He's 29? Casemiro perhaps, but not if we bring in someone who can rotate with him. It's as if people think you are physically shot after 25 these days. Look at Modric. Ronaldo was pretty phenomenal up until at least 35-36. Giggs. Robben was better after 30 than he ever was before. To suffer a serious decline at 30-33, I'd argue it requires poor training and/or a serious injury. Casemiro is fit as a fiddle, and Varane looks great physically - he seems to not go full pelt to avoid muscle injuries, which I think is wise - save it for the one time you might need it (still blew Lewa out of the water, mind).
Varane relies on pace, Casemiro relies on robust tackles and challenges, both are relying most on their physical abilities.

Giggs wasn't starting games every week, Robben we're playing in lesser league, and steadily declined after 32. When we said dominating, meaning we win and going to the finals more often in that period.

I'm basing on basic knowledge that footballers decline well after 32-33, not saying for sure they will decline, but the most of how many seasons of top level left if we use logic.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not saying he will decline for certain but he could decline. He's a player that is very important in rest defense where his speed and athleticism helps us control the defensive transition in large spaces. And if he starts losing pace, then imo you lose quite a bit of Varane. Casemiro on the other hand doesn't really really on pace as much, and has a good passing range. So I can see Casemiro possibly outlasting
Varane at the top and the Brazilian doesn't miss as many games through injury either.

But my original point was that we should leave no stone unturned and add to the strong elements in the first 11 via the transfer market, which will correlate to the play style Erik ten Hag wants to implement.

georgipep

Sorry to disagree with you on this too :)

I think Kane will clash stylistically with the majority of our offensive players. Bruno, Sancho, Antony are all creators. As well as Pellistri and Amad.

Only Rashford and Garnacho are actual runners and scorers. We need a striker who will stretch defences and will consume the chances created.

Kane likes to drop deep, orchestrate and then get back to the box. We don't need that. If anything, it will slow things down for us. He plays like a Lampard, late arriving midfielder. We have Bruno and Fred doing that.

Osimhen, or someone with a similar profile, is a much better fit. To be the focal point on the end of passes and crosses.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I think Kane will clash stylistically with the majority of our offensive players. Bruno, Sancho, Antony are all creators. As well as Pellistri and Amad.

Only Rashford and Garnacho are actual runners and scorers. We need a striker who will stretch defences and will consume the chances created.

Kane likes to drop deep, orchestrate and then get back to the box. We don't need that. If anything, it will slow things down for us. He plays like a Lampard, late arriving midfielder. We have Bruno and Fred doing that.

Osimhen, or someone with a similar profile, is a much better fit. To be the focal point on the end of passes and crosses.
That’s exactly how ETH has been using Wout recently.

meamth

I think getting a striker like Kane who can score difficult chances and playmaking for Rashford and Garnacho would be immense. He is also very good shooting from outside, so we have more "weapons". I would also think he will link up very very well with Sancho.

As this is Lisandro's thread, I think a deep lying forward like Kane will feed off well with Lisandro's accurate passes from the back.

ETH likes his forward to link up well, and having Kane who can do that will be great for our side.

georgipep

I think getting a striker like Kane who can score difficult chances and playmaking for Rashford and Garnacho would be immense. He is also very good shooting from outside, so we have more "weapons". I would also think he will link up very very well with Sancho.

As this is Lisandro's thread, I think a deep lying forward like Kane will feed off well with Lisandro's accurate passes from the back.

ETH likes his forward to link up well, and having Kane who can do that will be great for our side.
I agree that it would be great for Rashford if we want to play predominantly on transitions.

I think Ten Hag will evolve the team to dominate possession and in that scenario Rashford and Garnacho running in space will be plan B, not plan A.

That's why I feel he will go for someone who will be the tip of the spear.

meamth

I agree that it would be great for Rashford if we want to play predominantly on transitions.

I think Ten Hag will evolve the team to dominate possession and in that scenario Rashford and Garnacho running in space will be plan B, not plan A.

That's why I feel he will go for someone who will be the tip of the spear.
I mean how many weak final through balls we have wasted this season? With Kane, can you imagine?

georgipep

I mean how many weak final through balls we have wasted this season? With Kane, can you imagine?
Again, Kane in Manchester United of season 2022/2023 - sure. He'd fit great.

Kane in Manchester United in the next few seasons under Ten Hag? I don't think so.

El Jefe

Varane relies on pace, Casemiro relies on robust tackles and challenges, both are relying most on their physical abilities.

Giggs wasn't starting games every week, Robben we're playing in lesser league, and steadily declined after 32. When we said dominating, meaning we win and going to the finals more often in that period.

I'm basing on basic knowledge that footballers decline well after 32-33, not saying for sure they will decline, but the most of how many seasons of top level left if we use logic.
I wouldn't necessarily say Varane relies on pace, he was an absolute speed demon at Madrid and doesn't have anywhere near the same level of speed and he's still a top defender. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Casemiro bossing games at 34 injuries permitting. Fernandinho was still delivering top performances at that age. I can see Cas giving us three more good seasons.

InfiniteBoredom

A lot of pundits we see today played the game in bygone eras and their thoughts and beliefs are still entrenched in the past. A short CB playing for a coach who attempts to exert control in and out of possession is a alien concept for the likes of Nicol and Souness.

It's why I don't listen to their shite, unless a short clip via YouTube/twitter is made available, which reminds me why I stopped listening to their rubbish in the first place.
tbf in the case of Nicol he's not even watching us and just talk out of his backside. In that very clip the guy said Licha has played half the games. Dude literally played 34/39 games and the only games he missed were after WC where he needed to get his fitness back up, or is rested for a big game.

meamth

Again, Kane in Manchester United of season 2022/2023 - sure. He'd fit great.

Kane in Manchester United in the next few seasons under Ten Hag? I don't think so.
Ten Hag's philosophy is not possession, he said he wants Man Utd to not play boring football.

What that means he prioritise more on rotations, play with aggression, and transition on play. I don't think we're going to see tiki taka United in the league next season.

Possession of the ball is the opposite of entertaining football, he wants fast attacking football.

Status
Not open for further replies.