Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja

I thought he was very good, good anticipation and aggression. There were just one or two moments where he looked doubtful (shoulder to shoulder with Vardy and one one aerial ball, don't recall the context).

Vardy was tussling with Varane for the most part for some strange reason. I thought most sides were putting their CF towards our left and making things difficult for us. Even last game Che Adams had a lot of joy against Malacia / Martinez.

Mike Smalling

I really appreciate his ability to pick a precise forward pass through the lines. Our CBs look so much more assured on the ball this season compared to last.

He's been excellent. His positioning is good, he is never rushed on the ball, he reads the game well and he knows to at least make a nuisance of himself if he can't get to the ball. I loved his yellow card, I don't think any of our other defenders would have done that. He also seems to work well with Varane though that could just be that we are not used to seeing two competent defenders together.

I only hope it's not another Bailly situation where he looked like Alessandro Nesta when he first arrived.

IFC 1905

There was a moment in the first half where he turned back to the keeper, instead of passing back he just turner back and made a brilliant pass to Scott who was open in midfield. That alone won my heart that he is not afraid to play. Been long since we had such a CB

I think you mean this one

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
With special I mean something extra compared to the other CBs. Yesterday I thought Varane was the better passer.

Downplay? Could you give me a couple of examples from yesterday where you thought his passing was fantastic and a level above the other CBs?
I don’t think you understand what you were watching and I don’t even think it’s subjective since everyone else think the same thing while you are the only person in here had something different. The ability to be able to play first touch progressive passing and being calm on the ball is what Martinez has been showing constantly so far. This allows the team to be very good in build up play from the back.

Sylar

Would love for him (And varane) to play 90+% of games together inthe league. Would finally give us consistency and a good balance.

Hes been a great signing (so far) and hope he continues to improve on that too.

A-man

I don’t think you understand what you were watching and I don’t even think it’s subjective since everyone else think the same thing while you are the only person in here had something different. The ability to be able to play first touch progressive passing and being calm on the ball is what Martinez has been showing constantly so far. This allows the team to be very good in build up play from the back.
Agree with you that Martinez is calmer on the ball than Varane, but wouldn’t say his passing has been anything special in the five games he’s played so far. He’s had a few nice passes through the line but so has everybody else. And I still think Varane was the better passer last game. Looking at stats for progressive play also supports my observations.

JuriM

Would love for him (And varane) to play 90+% of games together inthe league. Would finally give us consistency and a good balance.

Hes been a great signing (so far) and hope he continues to improve on that too.
Ye, but both men are expected to be part of squads that might go even til the Final in the World Cup as well, so expecting them to have a 60 games season is kind of insane. There will be more rotation after the International break for everyone that's why we still kept quite a bloated squad and everyone else did the same.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
Ever since he came to play at Ajax, he always reminded my of the invincible knight “none shall pass”. He has that flow to me

criticalanalysis

With special I mean something extra compared to the other CBs. Yesterday I thought Varane was the better passer.

Downplay? Could you give me a couple of examples from yesterday where you thought his passing was fantastic and a level above the other CBs?
Agree with you that Martinez is calmer on the ball than Varane, but wouldn’t say his passing has been anything special in the five games he’s played so far. He’s had a few nice passes through the line but so has everybody else. And I still think Varane was the better passer last game. Looking at stats for progressive play also supports my observations.
There's plenty of touch compilations.

He's not been perfect and all praise may be magnified after only a few games but you're trying to put him on a pedestal and then expect to blown away or rather use it as a point to downplay and criticise the player who has taken Lindelof's place. Anybody with a pair of eyes can tell he's been a breath of fresh air with his intent to play the ball, pass through the lines, pace on the ball, press resistance, willingness to hold onto it more (to look for a more progressive pass) and not automatically go back to De Gea/his full back to pass off the responsibility ala Lindelof. Your whole initial post was basically 'Varane did all the defending and I've yet to see great passing from him'. As have your other posts in this thread saying he was awful in the first two games, the same as the other mindless 'fans' following the media narrative that he is weak and slow.

If you had this level of criticism for Lindelof, a few here including myself would not take issue with your bias takes.

@roonster09 said it best:

Dude you argue as if Lindelof is some Maldini, calm down.

A-man

There's plenty of touch compilations.

He's not been perfect and all praise may be magnified after only a few games but you're trying to put him on a pedestal and then expect to blown away or rather use it as a point to downplay and criticise the player who has taken Lindelof's place. Anybody with a pair of eyes can tell he's been a breath of fresh air with his intent to play the ball, pass through the lines, pace on the ball, press resistance, willingness to hold onto it more (to look for a more progressive pass) and not automatically go back to De Gea/his full back to pass off the responsibility ala Lindelof. Your whole initial post was basically 'Varane did all the defending and I've yet to see great passing from him'. As have your other posts in this thread saying he was awful in the first two games, the same as the other mindless 'fans' following the media narrative that he is weak and slow.

If you had this level of criticism for Lindelof, a few here including myself would not take issue with your bias takes.

@roonster09 said it best:
Give me some examples of his great passing against Leicester, preferably with time stamp, so I can understand what you mean. Much better than all your talk about a Lindelof all the time.

Remember the geese

Give me some examples of his great passing against Leicester, preferably with time stamp, so I can understand what you mean. Much better than all your talk about a Lindelof all the time.
Are you arguing that Martinez isn't a good passer of the ball, or that he hasn't been a good passer of the ball for us?

criticalanalysis

Show me examples of where you thought he could have played great passes as opposed to what he had did in that situation, preferably with time stamp, so I can understand what you mean.

I personally think he has very good passing ability and done well in context to the hand he's dealt with i.e a team learning about organisation with PTSD about playing from the back (with keeper included) and one that doesn't dominate possession so there are not many clear and obvious passing angles. Any expectation more than that is just asking to be disappointed, dumb takes or agenda driven imo.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whoever better is not and should not be the argument whether it’s Varane or Lisandro doesnt matter. Lisandro’s passing has been very good and you couldn’t see it because you failed to understand the influence of his ability to make forward passing through the line on his first touch passing. This influence critically in the team’s build up play from the back.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Show me examples of where you thought he could have played great passes as opposed to what he had did in that situation, preferably with time stamp, so I can understand what you mean.

I personally think he has very good passing ability and done well in context to the hand he's dealt with i.e a team learning about organisation with PTSD about playing from the back (with keeper included) and one that doesn't dominate possession so there are not many clear and obvious passing angles. Any expectation more than that is just asking to be disappointed, dumb takes or agenda driven imo.
I think his definition of very good passer from centre back is passing the ball backward or sideways most of the time like Lindelof the master of it. He doesn’t rate CB to play forward through the line more.

NLunited

Martinez had a solid game on the back of two man of the match performances. And wins almost every aerial duel.

Feck Souness. A-man is clueless.

MUnchies

You guys hold our players to some crazy high standards sometimes I don't understand. You think VVD, Rudiger, Koulibaly and all these other defenders are making some crazy through ball passes and some killer passes? Martinez was constantly passing to the middle, wings and finding spaces to make pass through the lines. Add his defending, tenacity, controlled aggression and that's almost a perfect defender. What else do you want from a defender?

Reactions: Cheimoon

A-man

Are you arguing that Martinez isn't a good passer of the ball, or that he hasn't been a good passer of the ball for us?
I wrote that he hasn’t been an amazing passer for us, and that I think he’s been same level as the others CBs so far. In the last game I thought Varane was better. But it was more my observation the first 5 games and then this seemed sensitive so it was blown out of proportion by the usual guys.

Ok no examples.

Whoever better is not and should not be the argument whether it’s Varane or Lisandro doesnt matter. Lisandro’s passing has been very good and you couldn’t see it because you failed to understand the influence of his ability to make forward passing through the line on his first touch passing. This influence critically in the team’s build up play from the back.
Why not just give me some examples from the last game where his abilities were critical in building up our play. I really haven’t seen much of this you talk about.

Martinez had a solid game on the back of two man of the match performances. And wins almost every aerial duel.

Feck Souness. A-man is clueless.
Was that directed to me? He has won 5 aerial duels of 8 in his first 5 games. Don’t see how that makes me clueless?

You guys hold our players to some crazy high standards sometimes I don't understand. You think VVD, Rudiger, Koulibaly and all these other defenders are making some crazy through ball passes and some killer passes? Martinez was constantly passing to the middle, wings and finding spaces to make pass through the lines. Add his defending, tenacity, controlled aggression and that's almost a perfect defender. What else do you want from a defender?
His passing has been totally ok, not saying anything else. Just that I expected even more from his passing, but it was based on rumours so guess it was my own fault.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why not just give me some examples from the last game where his abilities were critical in building up our play. I really haven’t seen much of this you talk about.
Progressive type, quick, first touch passing, and critical in building up our play.

Pronewbie

Peep
United fans have been too used to slow, plodding passes that rarely lack penetration in the build-up. You can see the difference Martinez, Eriksen and Casemiro bring in that regard. There’s a noticeable uptick in fast, zippy passes, with some through the opposition lines. These are the kinds of passes that open up plays and put the opponent on the back-foot. Right now, much of the breakdown is because of our attackers (and Bruno’s carelessness).

My mind keeps going back to the video comparing the speed of our passing and build-up vs Ajax. I’m so glad that Martinez is a clear upgrade on Maguire in that regard, and that most of the players Ten Hag have brought in display the same attribute. Even Casemiro!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Progressive type, quick, first touch passing, and critical in building up our play.

Glad you posted that as it was the exact sequence I wanted to pick out but wasn’t sure when it happened in the game. How many of our previous CBs could play a first time pass twice directly into midfield and onto the wing with their left foot? The answer is zero and that goes for many other CBs out there. It doesn’t take a genius to see that Martinez has brilliant ability on the ball.

A-man

That’s a nice sequence (from many players). If we would see much of that kind, I would agree with you. And hopefully we’ll get there but I can’t say we are there yet.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That’s a nice sequence (from many players). If we would see much of that kind, I would agree with you. And hopefully we’ll get there but I can’t say we are there yet.
Lisandro involved on that sequence twice and what you didn't notice that he is the only player in that video who actually made the progressive passess, while most of the others involved with quick short passing. Lisandro does it many time like that ever since he joined us. Even the Sancho goal vs Liverpool also came from his first touch passing. And yet, you claimed that you haven't seen it, may be you should start pay attention more.

3vra

Last year i decided that from now on at the end of each season i should buy some United kits with players name on it, because i am really mad that i did not done that before and i am not having any Ferdinand's Vidic's Evra's and other great players shirts. But I want to choose the best players for each season. Last year it was two kits with Ronaldo, because i did not like anyone else. This season i am really looking forward having White Martinez#6 shirt. But we will see.

My bet right now is Red Martial, White Martinez, Green Antony...

Glorio

Lisandro involved on that sequence twice and what you didn't notice that he is the only player in that video who actually made the progressive passess, while most of the others involved with quick short passing. Lisandro does it many time like that ever since he joined us. Even the Sancho goal vs Liverpool also came from his first touch passing. And yet, you claimed that you haven't seen it, may be you should start pay attention more.
Geez, you're on fire today - sharp as a razor :eek:;)

A-man

No as I wrote I’ve seen a few good passes from him but expect more. Not really sure how that can be so sensitive.

Edit: let’s leave it here. I expect more from him, and you are satisfied. Don’t really see how we must agree on that.

NLunited

United fans have been too used to slow, plodding passes that rarely lack penetration in the build-up. You can see the difference Martinez, Eriksen and Casemiro bring in that regard. There’s a noticeable uptick in fast, zippy passes, with some through the opposition lines. These are the kinds of passes that open up plays and put the opponent on the back-foot. Right now, much of the breakdown is because of our attackers (and Bruno’s carelessness).

My mind keeps going back to the video comparing the speed of our passing and build-up vs Ajax. I’m so glad that Martinez is a clear upgrade on Maguire in that regard, and that most of the players Ten Hag have brought in display the same attribute. Even Casemiro!
It’s as if Casemiro was brought in with that in mind as well, he is going to fit in beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.