Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not that it matters but I do wonder why we went for Timber before him. He's been incredible so far and has the perfect attitude. Future captain material.
Yup. Though he looks a terrific prospect himself, I definitely think Martinez' partner needs to be taller like Varane. I could see Ten Hag going back in for him, but I'm not sure it'd be the right choice even though all he lacks potential wise is height. Martinez though... Just the perfect fit for us. He's a brilliant CB.

Edwards6

But most of the Cafe was taking the piss out of his height too?
Maybe a few of the usual overreactions after the bad results at the start but he's proving them wrong if they seriously thought his height would stop him being a good CB for us.
Also people like Carragher and Souness are supposed to be professionals getting paid for there opinions and analysis they're not fans reacting after a poor result.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You know he’s winning pundits over when Garth fecking Crooks praises him

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe a few of the usual overreactions after the bad results at the start but he's proving them wrong if they seriously thought his height would stop him being a good CB for us.
Also people like Carragher and Souness are supposed to be professionals getting paid for there opinions and analysis they're not fans reacting after a poor result.
Yeah true. I like him, great little player he is.

NLunited

We're playing the deepest defensive line in the league and the wins have been very narrow. It's far too early to be making claims like that. He's been impressive, particularly on the ball these last few games but the hype is going overboard.
Surely that is about to change. We were much higher today. Yes, we need to score more, we are all aware.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I just can't believe we've signed a CB who made such a big impact and so good performances immediately like he is here for years. I mean, even players like Varane struggled in the beggining, but this guy couldn't give a feck.

twitter thread suggester
How is he perceived now by the English media/commentators? Does he get the plaudits he deserve?

Here in Denmark they still ignore his class during games. They don’t criticize him anymore but they also don’t give any credit or acknowledge how class he has been.

ash_86

He adds right amount of tenacity to his tackles and always seem to win the ball. Perfect defender!

Thom Merrilin

Played very well today. It's almost like he's a cross between Rojo and Blind combining that aggression with composure and technique. Long may it continue!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So much talk about his height. Dealt with Kane with ease (as did Varane).

Top signing.

Real Name

He makes up for his height with good positioning and jumping for the ball in time. Yesreday he won a couple headers like that. While attacker is still thinking weather to head the ball and when Lisandro is already on it.

Jules_T

Lovely interview especially the last 40sec of the interview. He always seems to keep his feet on the ground; with those little legs of his, remembering what got him there.
Just a beautiful interview. That level of vulnerability is rare in a TV interview. Love him

Rossa

What really stands out about him are two things - his passing and his aggression. The latter got me a bit nervous the first matches when defending inside his own box because of said aggressive defending. However, he has that perfect timing where he is aggressive, but he stands his ground and is patient enough not to commit. It was evident last night a couple of times against Kane, where you could see Kane looking for the contact, but Martinez only used his upper body and is in such control of his legs. I actually think his size benefits him in those positions - he is extremely agile for a centre back. Looks quite quick as well.

Kostov

I love how he made the job of handling Kane go under the radar. That is the biggest praise I could give to Martinez. Loved that he kept his cool and both him and Varane swept things with ease. Great game and long may it continue.

UpWithRivers

The Butcher is such a sht nickname for him. I get where it came from but he' so much more than the name implies

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
How is he perceived now by the English media/commentators? Does he get the plaudits he deserve?

Here in Denmark they still ignore his class during games. They don’t criticize him anymore but they also don’t give any credit or acknowledge how class he has been.
pretty much the same, it seems only United fans actually give him the credit he deserves.

the pundits just ignore the fact he’s been the best defender in the league so far this season.

UpWithRivers

Nah I love it. Butchers are skilled and clinical
In real life maybe but when you refer to someone as a butcher you think hard man, hard tackles, takes no sht. You dont think skilled and clinical. When they call a murderer a butcher they are not referring to his/her excellent surgical knife skills

redcucumber

In real life maybe but when you refer to someone as a butcher you think hard man, hard tackles, takes no sht. You dont think skilled and clinical. When they call a murderer a butcher they are not referring to his/her excellent surgical knife skills
That's how mega he is, he's redefining words in the English language

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax

Relfy

He's been a revelation. I can't lie and say I didn't have concerns, based on height and coming over from Ajax - it's a step up in pace, power and ability in the PL compared with the Eredivisie (no offense to any Dutch posters here). He has taken to it like a duck to water. Fantastic ability on the ball, good tackler as well as being tough with it when it is needed, great anticipation, his height has not been an issue for him - even if he doesn't win the ball and he sure as hell makes sure the opponent has to fight to get to it. He's paired excellently with Varane, and the longer the pair stay in the team, the more confidence that will breed throughout the players in front of them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
What a player. He embodies everything that I want to see in the club. Playing on the front foot, fighting every battle, and showing passion, leadership and determination. Is he the best of the summer signings? He's just excellent.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just a beautiful interview. That level of vulnerability is rare in a TV interview. Love him
Yeap. I thought he was going to tear up. You could see his eyes swelling up. Great player and likeable. Rare combination in this day n age

Pass and Move

This talk of his height is so tiresome and incredibly short sighted (stop it). Sure, against a 6'+ defender he is likely to get out-jumped in the box, but his lower center of gravity gives him the exact same advantages it does Messi. His first few yards will be quicker than a traditional CB, he's less likely to get turned by attackers than a John Terry type. For all the Haalands and Drogbas we've seen over the years, there are as many Agueros and Suarezes who would run rings around Maguire that would have a far harder time picking on someone their own size. So yes, he may get beaten in the air a few times a game, but he makes up for it, not by being capable in other aspects, but specifically because his lack of height can be advantageous too. That's the long and the short of it.

Ekeke

Kept Kane in his pocket. Although let's be fair, Spurs front two were never able to get into the game with Spurs approach. Feeding on scraps that are meat and drink for defenders like Varane and Martinez in this form.

I think he epitomises why it's so key to get in the right characters. When you get one or two like him it makes a massive difference to fan engagement with the team and it lifts everybody.
Not just the fans. When Ander was playing in his final few seasons the team was noticably more determined and aggressive with their own play around him, started off by him going hard on tackles and challenges and the team trying to match his energy. Thats what those aggressive players can do, bring out the aggression in other players who are usually too tame

MUnchies

He is the sort of player that rarely has a bad game. He is atleast 7/10 and up in every single game.

Mike Smalling

Love him. Wonderful to have a bit more steel in the team.

Also, massive plaudits go to Ten Hag for picking up players from the Eredivisie that have slotted in seamlessly in the PL. Jury may still be out on Malacia, but Antony and Martinez are gems.

jesperjaap

Very early days, but I think he could be the best signing we have made since Ferguson retired. Knew little about him at all before signing him. Bar the obvious height, he has it all to be a top top player here though. Tenacity, work ethic, technique, intelligence and most of all, leadership abilities. See the type of captain we havent had in a long time in him

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Love him. Wonderful to have a bit more steel in the team.

Also, massive plaudits go to Ten Hag for picking up players from the Eredivisie that have slotted in seamlessly in the PL. Jury may still be out on Malacia, but Antony and Martinez are gems.
Malacia has been way better than Telles already so that's a start. If he keeps Shaw on his toes and in top form then that's worth the money paid already.

SoCross

Has quickly become one of my favourite players in the squad.

Composure on the ball, aggression off it. Just wonderful to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.