Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I think its the other way around, people find it hard to get a full back that can be solid defensively and try to play more attacking wingers into those positions, other than Lahm, Zabaleta and Ashley Cole until recently there's rarely been good defensive fullbacks but when they do come, they are invaluable. You only need to see the issues Evra had dealing with wingers like Lennon and jeopardizing the defense to understand the value of Luke Shaw.
I strongly disagree with the notion that defensively stout fullbacks are hard to find. It's just symptomatic of the trend of putting greater emphasis on the attacking aspect from a younger age among modern fullbacks. I believe Gaz's recent article addressed part of this too, and it's being done for a reason. Top notch attacking fullback is more effective than one who's great defensively but about average going forward. It isn't an indictment of Shaw per se because I feel he hasn't displayed his full attacking armory at United yet. But I do feel the defensive part is easier to compensate for than the attacking aspect in a general sense. Someone like Evra might have had a torrid time at the back on the odd occasion but his overall dribbling and linkup ability more than made up for the relative frailties.

LvG is known for converting younger players as well, but I guess right now we can't even try it out as we have no LB cover with Rojo hurt and Blind much better as a DM than a LB where his lack of pace is really a detriment and his positional sense can't cover for it.

The other alternative is for Shaw to stay at LB and for us to buy Laporte for LCB. :drool:
Yeah, I reckon he could've tried Shaw in different positions were Evra still at United given his history with Alaba, Piggy etc. In a way I see a bit of Shaw's skillset in Blackett who's looked quite assured at the center.

Wouldn't mind Aymeric though. :D

Devil may care

Yeah, I reckon he could've tried Shaw in different positions were Evra still at United given his history with Alaba, Piggy etc. In a way I see a bit of Shaw's skillset in Blackett who's looked quite assured at the center.

Wouldn't mind Aymeric though. :D
It's interesting that you mention Blackett, he can play LB and maybe could be an option there if we wanted to try Shaw at LCB.

Of the LCB's around right now from the games I've seen Laporte ticks the most boxes for an LvG CB who also looks strong and tall enough for the PL.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
It's interesting that you mention Blackett, he can play LB and maybe could be an option there if we wanted to try Shaw at LCB.
Maybe LVG was of the mindset that Blackett didn't add enough offensively compared to his defensive proficiency. Dunno, it's all conjecture TBF.

Of the LCB's around right now from the games I've seen Laporte ticks the most boxes for an LvG CB who also looks strong and tall enough for the PL.
Yup, he's pretty much the ideal choice for Van Gaal - good presence, technique, comfortable on the ball and intelligent. Another very important aspect thing that some don't account for is the manager's adamance on having left footed defenders at LCB, which would rule out some alternate candidates. I really like Sokratis too and he might be available for the suitable amount of money. Him an Laporte backed up by McNair, Rojo, Jones (if he's around) and Blackett would solve almost all of our central defensive concerns.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Was pleased again with how he played yesterday. He's one of our consistently better players.

Jammydodger7

I'm not sure if there's a sarcastic tone to this post but what attacking ability is this? If anything his performances for Southampton and this season have shown his best asset is his defensive work and he really needs to develop an attacking instinct.
Not sarcastic at all, I agree he hasn't been great going forward for us but I think he was very good going forward for city.

Devil may care

Maybe LVG was of the mindset that Blackett didn't add enough offensively compared to his defensive proficiency. Dunno, it's all conjecture TBF.
That's possible, as you say it's guess work though as Blackett has only made one brief appearance in the senior side as a LB.

Yup, he's pretty much the ideal choice for Van Gaal - good presence, technique, comfortable on the ball and intelligent. Another very important aspect thing that some don't account for is the manager's adamance on having left footed defenders at LCB, which would rule out some alternate candidates. I really like Sokratis too and he might be available for the suitable amount of money. Him an Laporte backed up by McNair, Rojo, Jones (if he's around) and Blackett would solve almost all of our central defensive concerns.
We are on the same page although I'd favour Garay over Sokratis in truth....unless of course PSG are sick of having Thiago Silva. :angel:

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
He's probably our best player alongside DDG at the moment.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yup, he was excellent today. Did nothing wrong and made very good forward runs. Hopefully he keeps it up

Roboc7

Easily our best player, is looking better and better with each game.

Sam

Are there honestly still people that doubt this lads quality? I mean seriously?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's brilliant for someone so young.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just looks so polished in an absolute shambles of a back line.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Touch wood, we'll see him in the red shirt for a long, long time.

El-Manos

And people suggesting Rojo or Blind would be the starting left back not so long ago:lol:. The lad is quality, potential to be the best left back in the world one day. Already one of the best in the league at his age is impressive. He's been picking up some serious form since the Chelsea game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't think he's anywhere near being word class yet but I'd be amazed if he didn't get there in the next few years. The idea that Gibbs is better than him is just baffling...

Señor

Whoever's controlling the Twitter feed (@Damien?) has done something right in congratulating and tweeting Luke Shaw on his performances as he'll probably read it. He's a beast, especially for such a young age, and I hope he knows and recognises how much we United fans appreciate it.

Cro

Great performance from him today and I really love his energy, as he still went up and down in extra time. Unfit? My ass! MotM along with Carrick for me.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Whoever's controlling the Twitter feed (@Damien?) has done something right in congratulating and tweeting Luke Shaw on his performances as he'll probably read it. He's a beast, especially for such a young age, and I hope he knows and recognises how much we United fans appreciate it.
Last three tweets were by KM. I agree with you, though he'll most likely have been bombarded with so many tweets congratulating him that he wouldn't read it.

Señor

Last three tweets were by KM. I agree with you, though he'll most likely have been bombarded with so many tweets congratulating him that he wouldn't read it.
Are tweets sent to your account randomly organised or are they sorted in a specific order i.e. time sent, account with most amount of followers, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.