Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not convinced football works like this.

For a start, our captain would be at his hypothetical peak right now.
Oh it's not a given, but generally it's the case.

SirAF

Ageist
Oh it's not a given, but generally it's the case.
Absolutely. However, although it is very likely that Shaw will continue to improve significantly he doesn't need to. If he were to just maintain his current level for the next 10 years then he will go down as a fantastic servant for the club.

Stadjer

Just not true. Yeah he was out of position because we got smashed on the counter after just launching our own counter attack for the second. He can't see the future, he didn't know Rooney would piss possession away
100% agree. That goal was 100% Rooney his fault. No way anybody would expect Rooney (who is considered one of our best players) to give the ball away that simple.

pacifictheme

Just not true. Yeah he was out of position because we got smashed on the counter after just launching our own counter attack for the second. He can't see the future, he didn't know Rooney would piss possession away
I'm glad you're one of those people who can't see a players limitations.

Unless its Rooney.

Sereques

Football does work like that, he not improve in terms of ability but at that age his experience will do the talking. Our captain is coming to the end of the peak period and he had shown bags of experience.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Football does work like that, he not improve in terms of ability but at that age his experience will do the talking. Our captain is coming to the end of the peak period and he had shown bags of experience.
More often than not, I suppose. But I also think that once he turns 28, people will just start referring to his 'experience' because it will be logical to do so, and imply that he's just become mature of late. His game at the moment is not that of an immature defender for me.

Ryan Giggs was carelessly ceding possession with silly and unecessary backheels well into his late 30s - acts which would be categorised as him showing his 'inexperience' if he were 21.

Just me, and probably an argument for another thread - but I think experience is often overstated. I think more than anything, there is a physical maturity or experience that comes with age, and then becoming an older man may help you deel with pressure and the like. But, while I know that pro football is tough, I think the fact that even a 19 year old footballer has been playing football all of his life is often overlooked. The implication is that he just started kicking a ball last week on his debut. While he may not be able to physically cope, or mentally with the occasion - from a football perspective, I don't necessarily think this is the case.

Personally, I think I always had good decision making on the pitch from a youngster, and I played at a very good level. In front of goal, for instance, just from lots of practise and watching top finishers - I'd naturally pick my spot, or try and put it through the keepers legs if possible, or give the keeper the eyes etc. However, they would say that a Danny Welbeck will 'learn that once he's older'. Yea, he may have been playing at youth level before, but I don't see why he cannot be composed in front of goal as a young player.

Bit of a detour, I know. Perhaps I'll make a thread and discuss.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Not relly, he's outside the norm. The hypothetical peak you speak of is based on an average and the average is that players start playing proper first team football at around 19-21, sometimes even later. Rooney started at 16. He's probably past his physical peak which means he's probably past his best.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not relly, he's outside the norm. The hypothetical peak you speak of is based on an average and the average is that players start playing proper first team football at around 19-21, sometimes even later. Rooney started at 16. He's probably past his physical peak which means he's probably past his best.
And Shaw has been playing from a similarly young age, which is partly why I made the point in the first place.

Glanville95

He really is an excellent player. If he's anything like Cole was for Chelsea in terms of longevity, peak performances and consistency we have made an absolute coup.

It's the year of Luke Shaw, fellas.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
And Shaw has been playing from a similarly young age, which is partly why I made the point in the first place.
Then his peak is probably 6-7 years away. However Rooney isn't known for taking care of himself as carefully as many other athletes. With him much of his strength and stamina is natural. It's a matter of years how at the top how well you take care of yourself.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He has been immense this season, our best player so far IMO. I was a little critical of him earlier in the season because despite being immaculate defensively I felt he was being wasteful going forward. 3 assists in his last 3 for club/country so he seems to be addressing that.

RedStarUnited

I find it hard to believe that Luke Shaw, a LB seems to have more 'freedom' to do things with a ball than a Wayne Rooney. Shaw attacks at will. carries the ball a lot and takes chances. So LVG gives him special privileges? or maybe he is just good and playing well?

Trizy

I find it hard to believe that Luke Shaw, a LB seems to have more 'freedom' to do things with a ball than a Wayne Rooney. Shaw attacks at will. carries the ball a lot and takes chances. So LVG gives him special privileges? or maybe he is just good and playing well?

Probably because of our defense minded midfield offers protection for full backs to wander OR Shaw is so fast it doesn't matter if he loses the ball, he'll make it back even with a 20 yard disadvantage :D

RedStarUnited

Probably because of our defense minded midfield offers protection for full backs to wander OR Shaw is so fast it doesn't matter if he loses the ball, he'll make it back even with a 20 yard disadvantage :D
Rooney plays all the way at the top, he should be even less worried about losing the ball then shouldnt he?

Brightonian

Love that England's best three players against Switzerland were the United men, Smalling, Shaw and Rooney. Been a while since we've been able to say that (although to be fair Welbeck's always been excellent under Hodgson, and Carrick would've been a consistent top performer for England if he actually played with any regularity.)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's awesome. United has that LB-position sorted out for the coming 10 years at the least.

Brightonian

:drool:

I know the season's not got off to the best start, but I'm still so pleased with so many of our players, Shaw and Smalling foremost amongst them.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Get the impression that him and Darmian will form the best fullback pairing we've had in a while. Shaw's attacking game has been superb this season, after being a little rusty in the last. Darmian needs some work on his delivery, as was the case in Torino, but he'll find his groove soon enough. Genuinely excited by the prospects of our defense between these two, and Smalling.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This team will ruin him.

He's a lightning quick full back who is capable of beating players with pace and dribbling but when he gets into dangerous areas or looking to create something, he's presented with slow, ponderous shit in front of him.

He'll be infected soon.

Brophs

The One and Only
Please stay fit. He was bloody brilliant again. He has a shout of having been MOTM in almost every game this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.