Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

United again!

So you can guarantee then that conversation happened between LvG and Shaw, even though there's no fecking way you could absolutely know that it happened or not?

Excellent stuff.
So if he rarely gets forward for the first half of the season can we assume that conversation transpired? If you want to be literal of course.

MDFC Manager

So if he rarely gets forward for the first half of the season can we assume that conversation transpired? If you want to be literal of course.
Not sure what you're on about. Whenever the ball went out to our left side, Shaw was there.

Jacob

I freaking love Shaw. Barring injuries, he is equipped to become one of the three best left backs in the world.

LR7

Shaw was ok. I seem to remember him letting a couple of players get past him a bit too easily but he wasn't poor overall. Still one I'm excited about this season.

m1y2

was decent overall , still can't get how he is possibly that fast with that fat ass. Pacey fecker.

do9

I see all those comments about shaw. " excellent", "very good", etc... And attacks on me because i trashed shaw after this game.
People, we are talking about full back of manchester united. Not full back of luton or preston.
Full back on top stage in top club must be flawless in defence and provide something in attack. Did you see darmian yesterday.? He controled his space, tackled fantastic, in attack he had runs, crosses, etc...
Luke shaw didn't do anything like that. Performance like his can do any full back in league. And couple of times he lost his man and was out of position also. In attack his game was to pass ball to first player near him.
And that excuse ' "he is young and talented" is bullshit. He will be young player next season and season after that also so when we will start to see him as a grown player who must live with his price and standards of man utd?

United again!

Did you watch Darmian's performance? Got forward loads and singled out by the manager for praise afterwards. How does that fit with your theory?
I am trying to get the 442 Stat Zone maps but for some reason I can on my phone but not on my browser. Neither really got forward a lot, that was my point. Shaw's lack of support for Young seemed calculated. Mata naturally drifts inside for Darmian which in my opinion leaves a lot more room for Darmian to make runs. However, the way he cuts inside leaves a lot of execution on the timing of the runs so as not to be caught up field which I can see LVG clearly doesn't want each fullback to be.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I am trying to get the 442 Stat Zone maps but for some reason I can on my phone but not on my browser. Neither really got forward a lot, that was my point. Shaw's lack of support for Young seemed calculated. Mata naturally drifts inside for Darmian which in my opinion leaves a lot more room for Darmian to make runs. However, the way he cuts inside leaves a lot of execution on the timing of the runs so as not to be caught up field which I can see LVG clearly doesn't want each fullback to be.
LVG specifically mentioned attacking fullbacks when we signed Darmian

United again!

LVG specifically mentioned attacking fullbacks when we signed Darmian
I'm not talking about Darmian in this instance, I'm talking about Shaw. They mirrored in influence, Shaw seemed a lot more eager to get on the ball, take it forward and link up with Young in pre-season and it looked odd to me, in this game he had no intention of even carrying the ball at all under any pressure. That was my original point, in this game it seemed he did not want to carry the ball at all. It seemed calculated.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm not talking about Darmian in this instance, I'm talking about Shaw. They mirrored in influence, Shaw seemed a lot more eager to get on the ball, take it forward and link up with Young in pre-season and it looked odd to me, in this game he had no intention of even carrying the ball at all under any pressure. That was my original point, in this game it seemed he did not want to carry the ball at all. It seemed calculated.
He carried the ball the whole way from left back to centre forward at one point. You're not making sense with stuff about Darmian either.

It's quite possible that Shaw played a little bit more conservatively in his first big PL of the season than he did in a pre-season friendly. The massive leap you're making is deciding this is under instructions. This would mean he was ignoring those instructions in pre-season. Do you think Van Gaal would pick a player who ignores instructions?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He carried the ball the whole way from left back to centre forward at one point. You're not making sense with stuff about Darmian either.

It's quite possible that Shaw played a little bit more conservatively in his first big PL of the season than he did in a pre-season friendly. The massive leap you're making is deciding this is under instructions. This would mean he was ignoring those instructions in pre-season. Do you think Van Gaal would pick a player who ignores instructions?
Just ask ADM :nervous:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It's called adjusting to circumstances of the game when it's appropriate to help out in the attacking third. Yesterday was likely not appropriate. You're jumping to conclusions it was a game plan.

Last edited:

United again!

It's called adjusting to circumstances of the game when it's appropriate to help out in the attacking third. Yesterday was likely not appropriate. You're jumping to conclusions it was a game plan.
Having thought about it, yes it is a fair point. I may have had that round in the chamber and fired it off half cocked.

Forget Darmian. I only used him as an example of the more conservative and measured buildup and overlapping play (in pre-season) in contrast to Shaw's pre-season more adventurous endeavour to link up and provide overlap and creativity with Young. As Sultan said, it was probably a tactical decision individually to support the back line as opposed to leaving it open. Rather than a word from the manager. We'll re-visit this when I can better explain my point.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I see all those comments about shaw. " excellent", "very good", etc... And attacks on me because i trashed shaw after this game.
People, we are talking about full back of manchester united. Not full back of luton or preston.
Full back on top stage in top club must be flawless in defence and provide something in attack. Did you see darmian yesterday.? He controled his space, tackled fantastic, in attack he had runs, crosses, etc...
Luke shaw didn't do anything like that. Performance like his can do any full back in league. And couple of times he lost his man and was out of position also. In attack his game was to pass ball to first player near him.
And that excuse ' "he is young and talented" is bullshit. He will be young player next season and season after that also so when we will start to see him as a grown player who must live with his price and standards of man utd?
Hey hey hey my parents live there leave it out! :nono:

Drifter

American
Beginning to grow in his role .Rojo as some healthy competition. Unless LVG sees him as a CB.

westlife4ever

Love the way he dribbles at full pace. And defensively solid. If him and Darmian stay fit, I think we may have the best pair of full backs in the league.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Seems like his fitness levels are finally up! Run up and down all the time and was solid when defending and good going forward. I hope people realized that we paid 30mln for top potential

Sparky Rhiwabon

My man of the match tonight. Looks bigger, fitter and much better going forward - a beast in the making.

Raw

He just looks so much fitter now! I think back to last season when he first came on in pre-season, he was a chunky lad that sweated his arse off after 5 minutes.

Cro

Great display today. Absolutely rock solid and even though he is already performing at a very high level, you just feel that there still is much more to come from him.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
How fecking fit is this guy? Absolutely fantastic, he'll be immense for us if he stays injury free.

FromTheBench

He stayed back more when Delay was playing there but again pushed forward more when young came on.

Class performance though.

Devil may care

Great attitude and does his job so well, love how him and Darmian cover their CB's effortlessly if needed.

vodrake

I've been really confused over the summer looking at "Biggest flops" threads on other forums and seeing Shaw's name in there, the guy's an absolute beast and is only going to get better.

matt23

Almost like a new signing if he stays fit. He could be the best LB in the league by the end of the season and he's only 20 :drool:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Impressive today. Stays on his feet, positions himself reasonably well and is an asset going forward. probably should have an assist when he could have put it across goal rather than passing to a villa player on the pano spot. Still developing but carries all the good traits to be a top player for us.

El-Manos

He's feckin class. Our defense looks a lot more solid and himself and Darmian are the 2 main reasons behind that. Still a lot more to come from him and that's a scary thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.