Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Not sure why you're completely ignoring his defensive play. At his peak he'll be a far better defender than Evra ever was and that should count equally as much as attacking play.
Because that would be looking at it positively and this is the CAF.

marlowe78

Was it Jones who said in an interview that he thinks Shaw is the fastest player he's had to run against? I've been stunned at how much ground he can cover.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I'm being harsh but Evra used to add huge amounts of creativity and was always a player who could go past defenders and get to the byline. Shaw very rarely seems to do this. He gets played in a lot and will take the ball into the box but doesn't often seem to actually do much of note with it. I just expected for the price tag a little more going forward.

For me Darmian at £13 million looks the by far the better buy at the moment.
Hardly surprising at the moment given Darmian is 5 years older.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I wouldn't expect him to become incredible as an attacker. I just don't think there's much of the attacking game that can be taught/developed to a great extent, at this age/stage.
I think the full backs who tend to be brilliant offensively (especially dribbling) usually played as wingers/midfielders in the past. I can't think of many full backs who were that good offensively/had that bit of flair who didn't start off in different positions.

Baines is one, but it's his crossing and set pieces mostly.

But it's not a big deal anyway. His defending is already exceptional. I actually never expect him to get dribbled or turned.

Last edited:

Sam

:lol: Where are them haters from pre-season?
I really don't understand how anyone has doubted Shaw tbh.

He's looked fantastic pretty much everytime he's played for us. The only issue last season was his injuries.

SirAF

Ageist
I really don't understand how anyone has doubted Shaw tbh.

He's looked fantastic pretty much everytime he's played for us. The only issue last season was his injuries.
Yup. He didn't display his blistering pace that much last season, but he was as safe as they come defensively and I thought it was obvious he was going to be brilliant as soon as he would get a rest and return to full fitness.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Loved that move when he played the one two and had a shot on goal. Would have been some goal for a fullback to score.

It's quite incredible how complete he is given how young he is.

DarkXaero

He's going to be a beast. I think the rest of the world will recognise his talent soon enough, at which point the likes of Barca and Madrid will probably take an interest.
With him being English and already at the biggest club in England, I'm not worried about that.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Also the fact he found the move to Manchester hard enough I can't see him upping sticks and heading to Spain.
He's still fairly young and inexperienced though, which is why a major move to a club like us would've probably been quite hard. Give him a few years here, and hopefully travelling across Europe for CL games, and the idea of going abroad won't be too strange for him.

Of course, hopefully it won't matter since he's the type of player who's crucial to hold on to.

Robbie Boy

It's hard to believe that he only turned 20 this summer! He's really starting to show his class after an injury plagued first season. If he stays injury free, he will nail down a starting place for club and country. He looks absolute class.

Tarrou

In terms of defending he's incredible for his age, for any age really. Couldn't be happier with that. People seem to forget how vulnerable we were down that side in Evra's last few years. It was a pretty big issue imo, and Shaw has solved it.

Going forward, he's growing in confidence and making some good runs beyond the opposition defence which is required to create space for Memphis. Shaw seems to have decent ball striking technique so I'm hoping he works on his crossing and adds a decent whipped cross to his game. We're a bit too predictable on the left now with Shaw reluctant to cross and Memphis always wanting to cut inside and shoot. Him and Memphis seem to have a decent understand already, so if they can continue developing that and add a bit more variation, the partnership could become something special.

criticalanalysis

That seems to differ from different people, some say Valencia, other say Smalling.
I think it would depend on the length of the sprint and what kind of start i.e a proper athletic track, from standing etc. Smalling covers a lot of ground in his typical defending situations of 1-10m spurts (where he's usually shielded or made a tackle by that point) and he's absolutely rapid there.

However, in a pure race it would have to be Valencia imo; he has the physique, lateral strength and endurance for a sprint anything more than 15m+. Sigh this made me think of Nani and would could have been.

With the ball (in game situation i.e dribbling with good control, not just kick and run) = Shaw?

ricky-romeo

defensively he is fantastic for his young age, going forward he is good considering the pace he got but he needs to improve with his crossings or final deliveries.

same goes for darmian in this aspect. both seems to be a bit slow with their act once they enter the final third of the opponents half.

RedDevil@84

His final delivery is pi** poor IMO.. He is dreadful with crosses.
Even on the ground, most of the time he can't pick a pass quick enough and loses the ball or passes to opponent..

I am hoping to see him improve vastly on the final delivery by end of season.

United again!

I'm being harsh but Evra used to add huge amounts of creativity and was always a player who could go past defenders and get to the byline. Shaw very rarely seems to do this. He gets played in a lot and will take the ball into the box but doesn't often seem to actually do much of note with it. I just expected for the price tag a little more going forward.
It is definitely a directive. I don't think you can hold it against him that you could expect more attacking from him. Van Gaal pretty clearly favours the fullback to pick their moment to go forward and join the attack. Right now the front three are unbalanced and thus they don't want to bomb on and leave the flanks open.

Van Gaal would have dropped Evra in an instant. (Of course if he wasn't captain etc etc.) Patrice had an attacking mind of his own and would sometimes just get the ball and run all the way up the pitch just to get something started. There is no way he'd have survived under LVG.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
People will look back on his transfer fee and say what a bargain.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I love as soon as they play that lofted pass over Depay to to the right back Shaw is charging him down, he's won so many balls like that.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
What a player we have on our hands. Only needs to keep himself fit and he could be England and United's left back for the next 10-15 years.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Our best player so far, IMO. Can't wait to see how dominant he becomes when he adds some real creativity to his game. With his technique it'd be a tremendous shame if he didn't add that extra dimension.

m1y2

got my MOTM, even Rooney would win it normally with hattrick on points but I was impressed by Shaw's performance again, wonderful player.

That left hand side :drool:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
And mine. Rooney did great but two of them were tap ins. Shaw was superb, relentless, quick, used the ball well, completely dominated. Fantastic to see and great credit to him that he is in this shape.

thepolice123

It is definitely a directive. I don't think you can hold it against him that you could expect more attacking from him. Van Gaal pretty clearly favours the fullback to pick their moment to go forward and join the attack. Right now the front three are unbalanced and thus they don't want to bomb on and leave the flanks open.

Van Gaal would have dropped Evra in an instant. (Of course if he wasn't captain etc etc.) Patrice had an attacking mind of his own and would sometimes just get the ball and run all the way up the pitch just to get something started. There is no way he'd have survived under LVG.
Pure garbage. Evra was a beast for us and probably our greatest leftback ever, even over Irwin. He was so good in his peak that the caf were labelling him a God or something. Shaw still has a long way to go before he can reach Evra's level.

That being said, both of them are shite at delivering crosses. However, Evra was our main attacking outlet on the left because his dribbling and ball control was world class. We haven't seen any of that from Shaw.

Robbie Boy

He's been one of, if not our best player so far this season. The guy is just brilliant, plain and simple.

Leg-End

How on earth is he only 20? Built like a tank and doesn't really have any of the weaknesses you expect a young fullback to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.