g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

7.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDwyr

Commentator on the stream I was watching seemed to be criticising him for leaving some space in behind. I thought it was a valid point too, but he still played well overall. Is just an absolute beast physically. Great run down the right also. Is going to be a great player for the next decade.

Raw

An absolute beast, well worth the money from his current performances + his potential. How is he only 20 years old :lol:

criticalanalysis

One thing for him to improve upon, he tries to be almost too precise with his crosses when he gets past the fullback, especially when he's right by the byline. Rooney made a few good runs in there tonight and sometimes he just needs to whip it in between the defence and the goalkeeper. He always seems to try and pick someone out, ends up getting blocked/pulled back too far and we are hit on the counter quite easily. It will come with experience though.
Yes, he's shown that trait of being 'too' calm and measured more than a few times in the game last season against Chelsea and in pre-season. It's weird you would hope he actually learns something from Ashley 'fire it first time across the 6 yard box' Young.

Hopefully, the team can integrate him more into an attacking asset and he has the confidence to attack the box more with regards shooting/creating more promising angles other than his runs from deep. It's quite similar to how much of an attacking outlet Evra's runs was but we never really used him as the attacking force (he was more than capable of).

It was quite funny how he was the last man when we've taking a corner or free kick :lol:.

"Luke you're last man, just make sure no one runs past you".

Baxter

He's an absolute brute. Built like a brick shithouse and absolutely rapid.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Genuinely think he's faster then Bale... Incredible pace on show today from him

Trizy

Roadrunner! it was like playing as Ronaldo in fifa against novice CPU.

Will be no 1 fullback in the world, he's got the lot.

Agreed. One of his best attributes that gets overlooked is his first touch, he can take the ball down on his foot like he's Berbatov.

criticalanalysis

He's going to turn into Bale MKII, isn't he?
On his current showing? Highly unlikely.

People say Bale is a flat track bully but he has brilliant dribbling technique and abilty. He showed that as a full back for Southampton and Spurs. The move to push him further up the field was like a flicker switched turned on and it all came together.

I'm not saying Shaw doesn't have the ability but I don't think it's winger/forward attacking level (or rather hasn't been developed). His attacking forays are mostly deep runs and overlaps. Until we see more situations where he is facing one and one with a player and is able to regularly beat them with skill and dribbling moves, it's wishful thinking to think we have a potentially world class attacking forward. Not to mention those situations would be quite high risk moves for a full back and one whose manager demands defending first.

Would Coleman, Alaba, Alves, Alba etc be able to produce what they do when they are mostly in the final third of the pitch with 30 yards of operating space compared to the 60 yards (and a supporting player) ahead of them right now? Probably but I doubt it would be elite level. Saying that Shaw could easily become a become winger than someone like Young, so yeah he could be very good/useful if his career goes down that path but I can't see Bale level yet.

Unlikely lad

On his current showing? Highly unlikely.

People say Bale is a flat track bully but he has brilliant dribbling technique and abilty. He showed that as a full back for Southampton and Spurs. The move to push him further up the field was like a flicker switched turned on and it all came together.

I'm not saying Shaw doesn't have the ability but I don't think it's winger/forward attacking level (or rather hasn't been developed). His attacking forays are mostly deep runs and overlaps. Until we see more situations where he is facing one and one with a player and is able to regularly beat them with skill and dribbling moves, it's wishful thinking to think we have a potentially world class attacking forward. Not to mention those situations would be quite high risk moves for a full back and one whose manager demands defending first.

Would Coleman, Alaba, Alves, Alba etc be able to produce what they do when they are mostly in the final third of the pitch with 30 yards of operating space compared to the 60 yards (and a supporting player) ahead of them right now? Probably but I doubt it would be elite level. Saying that Shaw could easily become a become winger than someone like Young, so yeah he could be very good/useful if his career goes down that path but I can't see Bale level yet.
I agree with all you've said, was more tongue in cheek than anything.

Don't forget Bale was always great at striking the ball as well.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's a different entity to Bale.. much more of a defender first, but he is a beast

Cypriot

Seems a completely different and better player so far since the start of Pre-Season. Hope he can keep up the good work because he is looking fantastic at the moment.

ZDwyr

Agreed. One of his best attributes that gets overlooked is his first touch, he can take the ball down on his foot like he's Berbatov.
Good point. His first touch would be up there with the best in the squad.

FujiVice

Its great to have debates over who the man of the match is again. You could have your pick from tonight. If it wasnt for Memphis being Memphis and Smalling being a rock, I'd have said Shaw. He was unreal.

Shurou

I hope we'll get to see Memphis and Shaw link up more in the future, too. It seemed like Shaw was being found by our midfielders more whenever he got forward. Memphis and Shaw could be a serious partnership on that left side.

beergod

he does seem to have found an extra yard or two of pace from somewhere - seems that extra training has paid off
I just hope Giggs schools him on not always hitting the afterburners like that. We need those hamstrings in one piece.

fatboy

Scary thing is, Memphis and Shaw have not yet formed a proper partnership, but they're already doing pretty well on that left side. Once they learn to play off each other, they'll be very difficult to stop.

But happy to finally see a bit of what we paid 27mil for.

Shimo

Very good performance and the right side run was brilliant but, stemmed from a wtf pass that put us in real trouble were it not for an errant touch by the Brugge player.

Wish him and Darmian though would put in some more dangerous balls, they are the two providing the width most of the time, so our balls from out wide depend upon them a lot.

suheilsworld

A fullback we have been so craving for! He is lightning fast and will form a great partnership with Memphis.

I like what he did last season, despite his share of injuries he concentrated on defending and now that it looks like that is sorted, he is going full beast mode on attacking. Blind has been covering well for him too!

I knew he was fast, but when he raced the Brugge defender for a seemingly impossible ball yesterday, I realize that I hadn't really seen him at full speed until then. Christ, he is fast.

Man-United

He should get a new contract soon. I know we signed him last year, but according to transfermarkt his contract will end already in 2018 and I don't want a situation where other clubs show interest next summer with him only having 2 years left.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
That speed of his is something else.

Also he's one of us (how do I embed Facebook posts properly?):

Riz

He should get a new contract soon. I know we signed him last year, but according to transfermarkt his contract will end already in 2018 and I don't want a situation where other clubs show interest next summer with him only having 2 years left.
We probably have an option to extend it a further year to 2019, that being said I wouldn't worry about him with stuff like that. De Gea was always obvious but can see Shaw staying here for the rest of his career injuries permitting.

Parma Dewol

I don't think that gif at the top of the page does his run justice. Didn't he start by running back the whole length of the field the other direction to win the ball? That was before running back the entire length the other way and creating a golden opportunity for Memphis to get his third.

Louis said this could be "the season of Luke Shaw." He might be onto something.

SambaBoy

Was brilliant last night and has been for the previous two games. Always knew he was quite fast but he looks absolutely rapid in these last few games. The main thing is keeping himself fit over the season and producing consistent performances. He's rock solid defensively and won't be beaten 1 v 1. In an attacking sense, I would like to see him have more confidence because he can beat a man and put a good ball in there's no doubt about that. When he receives the ball higher up the touchline, his first touch seems to come back rather than opening up his body ready to attack the full-back and from there it's most difficult as the space is closed down and he normally has to pass it back or infield.

ChrisNelson

Very encouraged by the progress Shaw appears to have made. He genuinely looks like the prospect we signed from Southampton.
His decision to take a personal trainer on holiday with him has to be admired and he really appears to have taken seriously his efforts to get as fit as possible for the new season.
I think that has shown in all 3 games we have played now, and in particular last night where he looked really sharp and even ended up on the right wing crossing for Rooney's flick back which should really have resulted in goal of the season! I'm happy now that Shaw has this position nailed down long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.