Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anyone who's played football at any level knows being bollocked by the manager when you make a mistake comes with the territory. There's no way that Shaw is such a delicate flower he'd have bruised emotions over this. The way the criticism is shared with the press might up the stakes a bit but so long as nothing is said in public that isn't also said in private then i can't see the problem. It's not like he called him a bad player, just someone who made a mistake.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Anyone who's played football at any level knows being bollocked by the manager when you make a mistake comes with the territory. There's no way that Shaw is such a delicate flower he'd have bruised emotions over this. The way the criticism is shared with the press might up the stakes a bit but so long as nothing is said in public that isn't also said in private then i can't see the problem. It's not like he called him a bad player, just someone who made a mistake.
Yep. Mourinho even said it was his job to fix it and in a few weeks, it'll be perfect... I really am at a loss over the big deal here. :confused:

devil in me

Bang on. I didnt know anything about Mourinho's comments until this morning and wrongly assumed, judging by media headlines etc, that he had said something ridiculous.
I was surprised to see his comments basically amounted to 'Shaw shouldve been closer to the ball'. Absolutely nothing harsh about it, and if Shaw is upset by that (which I highly doubt that he is) then he needs to man up.

Jacko21

From the BBC.

Manchester United and England defender Luke Shaw has a minor groin tear, a scan has revealed.

He will miss Wednesday's EFL Cup tie at Northampton and is 50-50 for Saturday's Premier League visit of Leicester.

izec

I wouldnt play him then against Leicester. Rojo time baby. Maybe Rojo will for once surprise us positively :)

Ixion

I'd rather have Blind at left back than Rojo and Baily/Smalling in the middle.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'd rather have Blind at left back than Rojo and Baily/Smalling in the middle.
Blind, Young, Darmian, Fosu Mensah, Rojo. Wouldn't mind Riley getting chances as he is a good attacker.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wouldn't be surprised if the players Mourinho has singled out publicly are the ones he refers to as not handling a negative result well.

Could be seen as poor man management if they shrink further but could also be a clever move to get them to man up a bit.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Has a minor torn groin apparently. Hopefully not out for too long
The worrying thing about this injury is that the Times article implies it's something he's struggled with for ages. Even before he broke his leg.

Fecking Rojo at LB will be a disaster. Makes me wish we'd sacked him off and kept CBJ (who seems to be doing very well on loan)

Sam M

Blind is a very capable stand in, much more so than Rojo at least. Let's not forget it was Blind's pinpoint crosses and laser passes from full back to Fellaini that had us firing in that mini run of 2014-1015

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The worrying thing about this injury is that the Times article implies it's something he's struggled with for ages. Even before he broke his leg.

Fecking Rojo at LB will be a disaster. Makes me wish we'd sacked him off and kept CBJ (who seems to be doing very well on loan)
Reckon Blind is first back up for Shaw, and then Darmian second, with Rojo last option. Not a disaster if Mourinho uses them as such, we actually have a good crop of full backs and back up guys. It's just Rojo who is pointless really

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's just a unfortunately side effect of his running gate changing after his leg break. We need to get a decent LB in january as cover for Shaw, I feel it'll be like this for most of his career now.

Let's hope he's back for Leicester as I can see Mahrez destroying anybody else.

SATA

Was this the injury he got during England duty and they had to send him back to United without wanting to aggravate it?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Rojo and Darmian at full back for the Northampton game and the one who plays better plays against Leicester if Shaw isn't fit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
#RojoIsNotRed Cannot believe the guy survived the summer.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If he's that sensitive, he's in the wrong business. He's a fecking man ffs.
I agree. If you feck up, you man up. Can you imagine that kind of behavior under Keano? It was open and direct. If true, we have too many softies in our squad and it shows on the pitch. I like if Jose starts to act tougher on them

Timdbro

Man, I expected the criticism to be really intense and personal after reading how players were "shocked over Mou's treatment of Shaw". Turns out it's just "he should have been pressing higher"...

saivet

Anyone else feel Shaw is nothing special offensively?
Depends what you mean buy 'nothing special'. Even though he scored a screamer tonight, it would be guys like Azpi who I'd say are nothing special offensively. I don't think Shaw is excellent going forward (not sure anyone does right now), and his delivery is iffy at times, but I certainly think he adds an attacking dimension to our team.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I agree. If you feck up, you man up. Can you imagine that kind of behavior under Keano? It was open and direct. If true, we have too many softies in our squad and it shows on the pitch. I like if Jose starts to act tougher on them
Well, he did take a pic of his 6 pack and post it online, when LvG and others called him fat....Maybe he is sensitive.

If that's the case, I fear for us

Bwuk

Depends what you mean buy 'nothing special'. Even though he scored a screamer tonight, it would be guys like Azpi who I'd say are nothing special offensively. I don't think Shaw is excellent going forward (not sure anyone does right now), and his delivery is iffy at times, but I certainly think he adds an attacking dimension to our team.
For me Azpi is a much better full back than Luke Shaw. If he had Shaws athleticism it'd be a no brainier.

saivet

For me Azpi is a much better full back than Luke Shaw. If he had Shaws athleticism it'd be a no brainier.
Maybe so, but Azpi doesn't really offer much going forward, and in the current state of this forum, if he was a United play I imagine he'd be slaughtered for it. Defensively largely excellent though.

Bwuk

Maybe so, but Azpi doesn't really offer much going forward, and in the current state of this forum, if he was a United play I imagine he'd be slaughtered for it. Defensively largely excellent though.
And Shaw does? On my phone so not going to google it, but willing to bet he has more goals/assists than Shaw does since he joined United.

saivet

And Shaw does? On my phone so not going to google it, but willing to bet he has more goals/assists than Shaw does since he joined United.
I'm almost certain he does, mainly because Shaw will have played much less games and hasn't had many assists for us.

I think Shaw's link up play closer to goal is better, provides a better option on the overlap and is also a better dribbler/capable of driving runs. Stats wise, it may not add much, but I do think it adds a greater attacking dimension.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Well, he did take a pic of his 6 pack and post it online, when LvG and others called him fat....Maybe he is sensitive.

If that's the case, I fear for us
He can be sensitive but at one point you're a professional footballer and need to get used to that. You need to be ready and tough mentally to play for a top club

Born2Lose

He can be sensitive but at one point you're a professional footballer and need to get used to that. You need to be ready and tough mentally to play for a top club
Who at our club currently is tough mentally? Carrick? Rooney? Maybe if we had some senior players worthy of the role our younger players might be a bit more confident.

Sam M

Shaw is better, certainly, Azpi has had the benefit of being part of a competently coached team with cutting edge up front.
Kind of crazy how question marks are being raised against the lad while he's back from a season long injury, into a side in flux, while still being one of our better performers. Best of all, he easily has another 3 gears to find

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Who at our club currently is tough mentally? Carrick? Rooney? Maybe if we had some senior players worthy of the role our younger players might be a bit more confident.
I believe that there are some, yes. You sometimes dont need too many, just a few, who can instill that mentality. Zlatan, Pogba, Valencia maybe. From the younger ones, Rashford and TFM seem strong as well

kundalini

Anyone else feel Shaw is nothing special offensively?
To date, his attacking contribution, both for Southampton and United, has been minimal so I tend to agree with you. It didn't take long to notice that CBJ's crosses were far superior to anything we'd seen from Shaw. Best thing about Shaw is his ability to surge forward in possession. In some matches he will do this several times, other games almost nothing.

Darmian, who is considered by most people to be poor offensively, managed a goal and an assist last season, both in the same match.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Shaw being nothing special offensively is of no concern to me. He can actually defend. How many young LBs can you say that about?

Status
Not open for further replies.