Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Sadly I make you right. There's no science in it and if we are honest, not really seen the 30m lad we hoped he'd be. I know people talk about 'the next LB' for 10 years but footballs no longer like that and no too many variables to crystal ball players careers anymore.

Shaw needs to step up significantly as the world turned significantly since we signed him and defensively he's behind Blind for me.
I think he's a bit better defensively than Blind, as Blind is too vulnerable physically, but in possession and attackingly he's so much worse than Blind, it surprises me that so many people want him to start, whilst he is clearly our 2nd best LB imo.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some people wouldn't see the truth about Shaw if it hit them in the face. The fatass hasn't done anything worth mentioning when he featured and obviously is not impressing in training either since he doesnt even make it to the fecking game squad. If he was ready, if he made some progress he would be on the bench.

FFS
I was a big Shaw fan but this is the truth. You can't just endlessly wait for players to come good or you're forever looking into the future for something that has a very reasonable chance of not happening. So many people on the caf hold on to a few games where someone played well. I'm all for giving someone a chance but you've got to take the opportunities sooner or later. Hoping someone might be an alright player for us in 3 years isn't what we need right now.

I would normally say that someone like Shaw is a perfect candidate for staying at the club and improving/being brought in slowly with a more immediate player brought in for now and seeing how they progress, but that doesn't fly with players/agents any more.
Maybe a buy-back is the best option here.

dove

Look guys, Mourinho sees Shaw every single day in training so I think he knows better than we do. If he performs well in training I am sure he will get a chance. So far he has been a flop for us, costing a crazy amount of money for a 18 years old full back and getting ridiculous wages. He is useless in attack and is constantly being caught out of position in defence and had some really terrible performances like against Man City in EFL cup where he was seriously troubled by Navas and looked like Buttner... For the price we paid we could have got a lot better full back but that's how it works with English players, 20% real value + 80% English tax.

pascell

I honestly feel like we're preparing him for next season, making sure his fitness is spot on and there's no pressure on him. He'll play games this season I'm sure of that and I can't see us selling him, as we'd make a loss as he's barely played this season.

RedMaestro

I honestly feel like we're preparing him for next season, making sure his fitness is spot on and there's no pressure on him. He'll play games this season I'm sure of that and I can't see us selling him, as we'd make a loss as he's barely played this season.
I'm wondering why he hasn't had a loan move after being match-ready? If he's not going to be used wouldn't it be better that he get's match time? Or is he lacking a lot tactically that Mourinho has to "teach him"?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm wondering why he hasn't had a loan move after being match-ready? If he's not going to be used wouldn't it be better that he get's match time? Or is he lacking a lot tactically that Mourinho has to "teach him"?
He's not even playing with the reserves so I don't think he is "match ready".

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
So what do people think? Will he become a top class left back?

Two arguments I see:

1; Yes, he is young and played exceptionally well for someone his age. Got a big injury, and just need to get back to where he was.

2; No, he doesn't seem to have the right mentality to become a top class professional player. He has a purple patch, but doesn't seem able to put in the work to establish himself as a top player.

MadMike

So what do people think? Will he become a top class left back?
He's very very, very far from that place. That'd like asking will Fosu-Mensah be the next Vieira? It's not a question to be even asking at the moment.

Shaw needs to become a left back first, before we even talk about him becoming a top one. He has played like, 10 games in 3 years. He needs to kickstart his career as a footballer and find the focus and work ethic required.

When he manages that and gets a full season under his belt, then we can start talking about how far he can go. He had the type of injury that ends careers or seriously curtails development. We don't know what his new, post-injury ceiling will be. We don't know if he'll ever be the same player again.

MrPooni

Nigel Adkins on Luke Shaw
"We had to spend a lot of time looking after Luke because he was very young and there were the off-field things that go with that. It was a case of trying to integrate them and educate them. With Luke, we had to put a special group together just to help him develop his all-round lifestyle and give him an opportunity to deal with the situations that arose.

"You have to remember that he was 16 going on 17 at that stage. It's a big step and it's about maturity levels. All of a sudden, it's about eating right, how you conduct yourself and how you spend your time away from the training ground."

Mauricio Pochettino on Luke Shaw

"Luke is still learning how to be an experienced player and it is taking him time to mature," he said. "He is growing, maturing and needs to develop psychologically, mentally and tactically."
Louis van Gaal on Luke Shaw
"Luke needs to be fit and he’s not very fit and can’t perform how I want. He needs to be fit and to train individually. I can’t judge why. I see what I see. I have spoken with him and we have made a programme with him.
Luke Shaw on the pressure of his price tag (2015)
Luke Shaw admitted he has struggled to cope with the demands of playing for Manchester United after he returned to the team against Chelsea.

Shaw has started seeing a psychologist in recent weeks as he comes to terms with his £28million move from Southampton to Old Trafford in the summer.

The left back, who had a decent game on his return to the team at Stamford Bridge, said: 'I am still young and coming to the biggest club in the world hasn't been easy for me."
Luke Shaw on Louis van Gaal on Luke Shaw
"I only had myself to blame. I didn’t arrive at the club in the correct shape and things didn’t go to plan. The manager told me his feelings and I totally accepted that"
Jose Mourinho on Luke Shaw:
September 2016 (after our 3-1 defeat to Watford)
"The second goal was a mistake that goes against our plan and training because our intention was for their wing-backs to be pressed," said Mourinho. Shaw had been "25 metres away" from Amrabat, according to the United manager. "It is a tactical but also a mental attitude," he added.
November 2016 (before the 3-1 win over Swansea)
"Smalling doesn't feel that he can play 100% with his pain. Shaw told me this morning that he was not able to play."

"For the team, you have to do anything. There is a difference between the brave, who want to play at any cost, and the ones for whom a little pain can make a difference. If I were to speak with the many great football people of this team, they will say they played many times without being 100%.

"We have players on the pitch with problems. In every sport, how many times do you play and you're not 100%?"
January 2017
"In Luke Shaw’s case, even in the [FA Cup] game against Reading, when he could have started the game and had 90 minutes, in the morning of the game he was ill and not ready to play,” Mourinho said. “So even in that match, which could have been good for him, he was not able to play, so he’s having a difficult period"
February 2017
Luke has to wait for his chance and work better knowing that I give nothing for free. When I give something to the players it's expensive for them, they have to work really hard every day."
The lack of context probably makes these look worse than they are but there's an undeniable pattern here.

settembrini

Not to single you out but I have seen people post similar things in this thread and it doesn't make any sense to me. You build up a player's fitness for the season in pre-season, that's what every manager always says when talking about pre-season. It would make no sense to devote the entire second half of one season to building up fitness for next year when the player will be going off on holiday for a couple of months.

Shaw isn't playing because Mourinho has three other options he rates higher at the moment. I don't like it either but that's what Mourinho has said and it seems to be the reality.

SSSSnake

I do honestly hope he gets one last chance to prove himself before we think about selling him off.

He just needs to put hours in the gym & training pitch and prove he's ready. Do whatever it takes and listen to the coaches around him instead of the media.

Our LB postion is so lacking right now so i hope we have this positon sorted for next season.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I was a big Shaw fan but this is the truth. You can't just endlessly wait for players to come good or you're forever looking into the future for something that has a very reasonable chance of not happening. So many people on the caf hold on to a few games where someone played well. I'm all for giving someone a chance but you've got to take the opportunities sooner or later. Hoping someone might be an alright player for us in 3 years isn't what we need right now.
On the top of that, people say the poor fella is depressed like we're some kind of nursery or something. It's Manchester United ffs, they are running a very successful football club. If he's depressed he doesn't belong in a club like this. I mean strikers like Rashford aren't guaranteed a start because people like Zlatan are still eager to rule the field at 35 and he's depressed? We should wait on that?

A year has passed since he is able to train and the guy doesn't even make the bench. What the feck?

MrPooni

On the top of that, people say the poor fella is depressed like we're some kind of nursery or something. It's Manchester United ffs, they are running a very successful football club. If he's depressed he doesn't belong in a club like this. I mean strikers like Rashford aren't guaranteed a start because people like Zlatan are still eager to rule the field at 35 and he's depressed? We should wait on that?

A year has passed since he is able to train and the guy doesn't even make the bench. What the feck?
Promise me you won't procreate.

MrPooni

The biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK is suicide :lol:
Ignorant off the cuff comments like the ones I highlighted from your previous post only exacerbate the problem :lol:

Last edited:

JeffBoomTetris

Why are you saying unkind stuff like that? It has been a very disappointing season for him so far. Yes, he hasn't been very good. But, Shaw is young. And he can improve. We shouldn't be so trigger happy with the sell option.

He's depressed. So? Some people have different body chemistry than others. Quite simple. Besides, Shaw isn't even being given chances for an extended period of time like Rashford. He has a right to be aggrieved. However, all these media leaks are a bit sad. He should work hard. But, the manager should also give him chances. Especially when Rojo, Blind and Darmian have been far from convincing.

Celestiale

Lots of people in this thread are a disgrace. Probably fat couch potatoes that only know sports from TV.
I wonder how many in here had a serious injury in their life, and had to live with the consequences for a few years, especially in a sporting environment. I wonder how many people in this thread know what serious pain is, i guess not too many. Otherwise you would't read those bullshit comments ala "doesn't belong to a club like this", "bad mentality", "fat ass guy" etc.
People should just shut up about topics they have no idea about.

I am pretty sure if Shaw becomes 100% healthy again, we will have our top class defender. It's a big if. The kind of injury he had can drag for many years..can kill your self-confidence, no matter how strong your mentality is/was before

dichinero

This one is probably a FIFA pro

Pace Abuser

Reading the quotes from the managers' he's worked under and in light of recent events of this season. I think he's just a bit of a soft arse. Not his fault or anything, just not a tough cookie and his transfer fee, coupled with the injury, has resulted in him just imploding.

I'd be very surprised to see him resurrect his united career.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob

The thing is, depression is a real illness that can't just be treated by talking someone out of it, if he is indeed depressed.

Like when a poster is just stupid and keeps repeating his meaningless, hateful jibes on the internet to come across as some sort of non nonsense hard man but continuously sounds like a cnut. You can't just make them stop by pointing it out. That's just who they are. They are best ignored.

I'm sure you must've seen them around here. :)

Sepukku

The biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK is suicide :lol:
Ignorant off the cuff comments like the ones I highlighted from your previous post only exacerbate the problem :lol:
This is the football section mate. Procreation or suicide is discussed in the general. :nono:

Jacko21

Some on here need to treat Shaw like a human being, and not an 'asset'.

On here, it's as if mental health issues or a chronic lack of self-confidence can't possibly manifest themselves within football players - the assumption being, that because they're paid a fortune and get to fulfil their dreams, that they are somehow immune to such issues.

Luke is 21 years of age and has suffered an injury that some players never fully recover from.

Manchester United have long held pastoral care as an important totem in how the club is run - Ferguson in particular ensured his playing staff were cared for on a human level.

More than ever, Shaw needs pastoral care from the club. And we as supporters, need to be patient.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Wow the amount of abuse this guy is getting in this thread is quite simply astounding. Fair enough if people feel he's yet to step up and need to work very hard but are all the abuses and obscenities hurled at him that come along really necessary?

Reading this thread one get this feeling that some people vehemently hate the lade and quite simply can't stand him which is odd considering we're not even talking about someone who's disrespected the club or anything outrageous.

Are we sure we're still talking about a young lad being asked to work hard by his manager? If so this doesn't warrant the amount of vitriol written about the guy.

This thread is a bit sad.

MadMike

Wow the amount of abuse this guy is getting in this thread is quite simply astounding. Fair enough if people feel he's yet to step up and need to work very hard but are all the abuses and obscenities hurled at him that come along really necessary?

Reading this thread one get this feeling that some people vehemently hate the lade and quite simply can't stand him which is odd considering we're not even talking about someone who's disrespected the club or anything outrageous.

Are we sure we're still talking about a young lad being asked to work hard by his manager? If so this doesn't warrant the amount of vitriol written about the guy.

This thread is a bit sad.
Amount of abuse? You're exaggerating. There's maybe one or two posters that have gone over the top in the last 10 pages. The rest are just applying a normal amount of scrutiny to a guy that cost £30m is on a reported £120kpw, but for various reasons has not played enough for us and has come under fire from current and previous managers for his application.

You can be critical and still wanting the lad to succeed. I don't see how criticism or scrutiny equals abuse.

Sepukku

Nobody "hates" a teenager from England who doesn't perform mate. We're just saying he's obviously not ready to play here unlike the idiots who are saying i shouldn't procreate - something that has no relation to Luke Shaw Performances or Manchester United whatsoever.. Again, in case some of you forget, this is the football section.

We can discuss mental illnesses, diseases, people we like or Donald Trump in the general section. Here you state an opinion and prove it with facts. I think I've done that. Make an effort and do that too.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I can honestly say that the majority of the time I've seen Shaw play I've been happy with his performances. A lot of the time I'm actually really impressed. It's really bizarre.. I feel like I'm watching a different game to everyone else. Does no one else think he's actually been at least decent when he's played?

Having said that, I get that he may have off the field issues and I don't find it hard to believe that he's not been training well enough so I can see why he hasn't featured and I can easily envisage us selling him this summer. But I still think his performances have actually been absolutely fine since joining us.

MrPooni

We can discuss mental illnesses, diseases, people we like or Donald Trump in the general section. Here you state an opinion and prove it with facts. I think I've done that. Make an effort and do that too.
Is this what you call "making an effort?"

No, he's just shite.
And why is that mate? Have you ever watch him play? Didn't our current manager say he did not want him at Chelsea because he was not value for money, even if the fatass was a boyhood Chelsea fan? Is he worth 30 million pounds? Do you find it normal to be overweight as a teenager when you are an "athlete"?

And one last question to fit in into your profile. Are you an avid virtual soccer manager player ? :lol:
Gutted for him. To be so good and not get a chance in a match like that, especially after that horrific injury it must be tough. No wonder depression crept in.
I hear he's also depressed. The poor fella...
Some people wouldn't see the truth about Shaw if it hit them in the face. The fatass hasn't done anything worth mentioning when he featured and obviously is not impressing in training either since he doesnt even make it to the fecking game squad. If he was ready, if he made some progress he would be on the bench.

FFS

Have a word with yourself. And please don't bother replying, you've been added to my ignore list.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Is this what you call "making an effort?"

Have a word with yourself. And please don't bother replying, you've been added to my ignore list.
I think I should do the same too. Ignoring the guy seems the much easier option to take.

Shady

I just hope Mourinho is not planning on rotating Blind, Darmian and Rojo as LBs next season. Neither of them are good enough to be first choice there (Darmian and Rojo probably not even as back-up). Either play Shaw or go get a top class LB.

Timdbro

I just hope Mourinho is not planning on rotating Blind, Darmian and Rojo as LBs next season. Neither of them are good enough to be first choice there (Darmian and Rojo probably not even as back-up). Either play Shaw or go get a top class LB.
Based on how he's picked his teams both in past jobs and in this one, it seems pretty clear that he doesn't really like to rotate unless he has to. I mean look at the positions where he regularly rotates this season: LB, CB and the wings. I'd say it's a near certainty he'll try to address the first two positions.

The wings might be a bit different, he's said before that he has too many options there, so it might not be that they're not good enough for him. But the Griezman situation still makes the picture pretty blurry.

Alabaster Codify7

Proper gutted by this.

Before the leg-break, Shaw looked like a future great - he was in serious form, and improving every week. Looked like £30m would be a bargain for a LB that would be a mainstay in our starting 11 for about 10yrs.

Fast forward, and his Utd career is done, in my opinion. Jose clearly has absolutely no faith in him and it speaks volumes when he isn't getting a sniff ahead of Blind (hot and cold), Rojo (shocking LB) and Darmian (shockingly average player in general).

We'll be selling him this summer, I reckon - probably for like £10-15million to a team along the lines of West Ham or something. We're probably gonna need two new full-backs this summer, and damn good ones too.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Proper gutted by this.

Before the leg-break, Shaw looked like a future great - he was in serious form, and improving every week. Looked like £30m would be a bargain for a LB that would be a mainstay in our starting 11 for about 10yrs.

Fast forward, and his Utd career is done, in my opinion. Jose clearly has absolutely no faith in him and it speaks volumes when he isn't getting a sniff ahead of Blind (hot and cold), Rojo (shocking LB) and Darmian (shockingly average player in general).

We'll be selling him this summer, I reckon - probably for like £10-15million to a team along the lines of West Ham or something. We're probably gonna need two new full-backs this summer, and damn good ones too.
It's hard to see anything other than his Utd career being over I agree with you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Indeed. It's not hard to read between the lines. He looked excellent in that brief run before he broke his leg but it's hard not to worry that's yet another example of the reckless spending since Fergie retired. When you're taking a punt on a kid who may or may not have the mental chops to succeed at the highest level then spending £30m on a left back is utter madness.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Indeed. It's not hard to read between the lines. He looked excellent in that brief run before he broke his leg but it's hard not to worry that's yet another example of the reckless spending since Fergie retired. When you're taking a punt on a kid who may or may not have the mental chops to succeed at the highest level then spending £30m on a left back is utter madness.
Yep I thought it was a bonkers amount to spend on him when you bought him but I guess if he had worked out it might have been good business but it's a hell of a lot to pay for a kid with potential, especially when that kid is a left-back. He wouldn't be worth half that now. You are going to have one hell of a hard time shifting him if you do decide to sell him given his injury record, lack of good performances in last few seasons and the wages I assume he is on.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He's not even playing with the reserves so I don't think he is "match ready".
Apart from Bailly for one game, Mourinho has not put any players in the reserves for game time. Think he just keeps players in the first team squad instead of giving the players lacking game time chance in the reserves.

AgentP

I think Shaw and Darmian will both leave this summer and we'll sign a new LB and RB. Get Mendy and Semedo. We'll be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.