Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Glad to see him get that goal, hopefully provides him with a massive confidence boost.

Litch

Good pre-season for fitness, injury free, run in team, scores first goal, positive feedback from manager.....if it doesn't work out now, it won't be because he's not had a good platform to.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As usual, another good performance from Shaw. Bar the 1st half against City in the league cup a couple of seasons ago where Navas had him on toast, he hasn't had a bad game.

Just give him a run of games.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As usual, another good performance from Shaw. Bar the 1st half against City in the league cup a couple of seasons ago where Navas had him on toast, he hasn't had a bad game.

Just give him a run of games.
:nervous:

Eric Edwards

Other than the tangle with Vardy an all round performance which was very high. The potential has always been clear; hopefully he can realise it this season. The interview showed someone who really wants to succeed at United - refreshing to hear. A great start.

Comments re his weight aren’t funny or inventive. Give it a rest.

Yagami

Good post resistant
For me, whenever he starts, he does well. He just never gets a run of games to build on said performances. I know that's not a popular opinion on here but it's what I think. :p

Silver

Encouraging start. He's had rotten luck with injuries but I really think he has the ability to fulfill his potential at United and more importantly it seems like he's determined to prove himself. I think we all forget that he's still only 23 and he came in to the club at a young age with massive expectations especially in this position which has been an iconic one with Evra and Irwin as his predecessors. It's a defining season for him... the signs are good but he has to prove he's up to the challenge.

Regardless of what he has to prove and accomplish himself, it's a shame that so many United fans go out of their way to scrutinize his body and need to fat shame him like they do... beyond pathetic considering majority of these people spend most of their times sitting behind a keyboard.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I haven't been this happy for a player who scored for a very long time, very well deserved and a good performance overall as well. Hope he can kick on from here.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
For me, whenever he starts, he does well. He just never gets a run of games to build on said performances. I know that's not a popular opinion on here but it's what I think. :p
Usually he makes fundamental mistakes in defense and in the past hadn't had the fitness to play regularly. The manager has a certain fitness standard for players which he has failed in the previous two seasons. This season, from watching this game and the friendlies, you can see that he's improved his condition and it was made noteworthy by reporters that he passed the fitness test for the season (something you'd expect from anyone not currently or recently injured).

He has often shown promise and had good performances, you're correct about that, but this was a good all-aroun performance where he made a good balance and timing of his attacking and defensive play.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This exactly.

This goes to the nub of the issue. He’s clearly got a big heart and wants to fight for the position at Utd rather than taking a step down in a mid tier club. However he’s also clearly a sensitive soul. That isn’t a bad thing - we’ve had many great players like this over the years.

Fergie was used to managing this sort of player just like all the other sorts of players. Some need a kick up the arse - some need an arm around them and some tlc. I’m not sure Jose has the same level of nuance in player management.

I really hope Luke finds the force this year.
I think Jose is the right coach for Luke though.

He pushes him on hard and Luke knows it's because Jose expects far more from him than what he showed last year and from all accounts , Luke appreciates it and want to prove Jose right.

jungledrums

It’s a game of opinions. I thought he was terrible. Gets forward less than Darmian and just as poor on the ball. Sloppy at times defensively. I don’t see how anyone can give him man of the match with a straight face. Probably wasn’t even the best left back on the pitch.
He bombed on all game, got into a good position during our first goal and scored the second. Defensively was solid, especially compared to the shit show happening on our right with darmian. Maybe you just don’t like the fella?

kundalini

Got the crucial goal and had a shot in the first half. A couple of alarming moments (like most of our players). Much better performance than we saw from him in pre-season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Usually he makes fundamental mistakes in defense and in the past hadn't had the fitness to play regularly. The manager has a certain fitness standard for players which he has failed in the previous two seasons. This season, from watching this game and the friendlies, you can see that he's improved his condition and it was made noteworthy by reporters that he passed the fitness test for the season (something you'd expect from anyone not currently or recently injured).
I honestly never have a problem with him defensively. I think that's where he's at his best. You're right about his fitness being an issue but even when he has been fit and played a good game without getting injured or anything, he's hasn't been given the chance to build on it with a run of games. Mainly because Young has done well for José which is fair enough, but I hope he gets a run of games now.
He has often shown promise and had good performances, you're correct about that, but this was a good all-aroun performance where he made a good balance and timing of his attacking and defensive play.
Yeah, I agree with that. Even though I said that I think he usually plays well, he still disappoints in the final 3rd in said games unlike today where, as you said, it was a good all round performance.

I don't think he's bad on the ball - he's very good in the buildup with some nice passes and overlaps, but his final ball and decision making is severely lacking. I hope, with consistent playing time, he'll improve on this. I think Alexis has helped him since joining because he demands those overlaps.

Hawks2008

Happy for him but what even was that goal? Looked like something out of Rocket League. Hopefully he can kick on and finally have strong season.

Red_toad

Needs a run of games. I’d like to see how good he could be after playing 10 league games straight.
Given a run of games will do him the word of good. He’s one of those players who needs to be played all the time. Hope he can earn a new contract this season and establish himself. Just needs a touch of luck and not pick up injuries.

sherrinford

A very good performance which kind of came out of nowhere given his pre-season form. He showed his intent from the off with his contribution to the penalty - in all the friendlies his forward runs have been nothing but a token effort, but yesterday he was very purposeful on the overlap. He spoke after the game about being disappointed in his attacking contributions last season and performances in pre-season, which I like. Defensively solid too.

He should have the jersey, needs to stay fit and show the same intent going forward.

spiriticon

Excited to see him reincarnated! Have to give him kudos for still wanting to give his United career another good go.

Most would have packed it in by now.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I hope this gives him the confidence he needs. I’ve never forgotten how brilliant he was until he broke his leg and I will only ever judge him on a decent run, which he hasn’t had. Never been so thrilled to see a player score and it gave me a few tears . And how nice was he in the interview after. Also loved the reaction of the other players

SpyLuke10

I thought he played pretty well. 7/10 performance imo I don't really think he was great like some do. I just thought he was solid. The goal though was very important good on him. I was super glad when we scored that 2nd goal. Time to kick on from here though Luke!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Not his biggest cheerleader but if he could nail that spot it would save us a lot of trouble. Also think he's one of those that needs a lot of games.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
How could a goal affect the performance in people's mind right?:yawn: he was shaky defensively most of the game, struggles to do anything with the ball at his feet. He was very lucky with his first touch to get the goal. Nice effort and finish though so I am happy for him but there's a lot of things to improve on. if he can maintain fitness he could be a good back up for young though until we find finally someone better to upgrade on both

crossy1686

career ending
He was alright yesterday. My only concerns with Shaw is how quickly he fades, he started great and in the second half it took a bollocking from Pogba to get him to start bombing forward again, which ultimately got him his goal. Can only be either a fitness or confidence issue though, which is an easy fix.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Couldn’t be happier for him after last night. Whether he makes it here or not, he more than deserves that experience.

His post-match interview was really sweet too, clearly meant the world to him. I know this gets chucked around a lot, but a confident and fit Shaw really would be like a new signing!

Giggsyking

How could a goal affect the performance in people's mind right?:yawn: he was shaky defensively most of the game, struggles to do anything with the ball at his feet. He was very lucky with his first touch to get the goal. Nice effort and finish though so I am happy for him but there's a lot of things to improve on. if he can maintain fitness he could be a good back up for young though until we find finally someone better to upgrade on both
He was not shaky defensively he made one mistake. He was lucky with the first touch ok, but he was great with the shot from that angle with a volley.

King.of.Red

Glad he proves me wrong. And I like it that he is always positive about things that happen between him and Jose. Yup, work hard and always give 100% on the pitch.
Hopefully he can be better and better. He has big talent to be top class LB. Congrats for his 1st goal.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He’s had as good as a start to the season as he could have hoped:

- The only available LB at the club because his competition was either sold (Blind), injures (Dalot), unavailable (Young) or required at RB (Darmian)
- He had a full preseason (albeit with some poor performances)
- Started the season with a positive performance and his first career goal, which should lift his spirits up.

This is it, he just HAS to push on now and claim that spot. He won’t ever have a better opportunity.

CM

I'm very pleased for Shaw. There's always a lot of rubhish thrown his way from armchair critics and the level of scrutiny placed on him means he has to go above and beyond to receive any faint praise for his performances. I'm sure the goal would've done his confidence a world of good and hopefully Mourinho's praise of him means he finally gets given a run of games in the team.

Devil81

Much improved last night, hopefully with a run of games we get the Luke Shaw pre-broken leg back.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Nice to see him perform how we know he can. Thought he looked solid in defence and got forward when possible. Worked hard and looked fit and healthy.

jmaggio

I was delighted for Luke Shaw to get his first goal in senior football.

Mourinho has been critical of Shaw in the past but he was full of praise for him afterwards, and rightly so.

Luke made one mistake - towards the end of the game when he was caught in possession inside his own area by Vardy - but he will not need to be told about it.

He is the best left-back at the club when he is fit and flying so I am glad he has got his goal, because it should take a bit of pressure off him.

Status
Not open for further replies.