Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

The amount of under-hit, mis-placed passes from him today was concerning. He gets high enough up the field, however, he doesn't aggressively attack the left hand side. If Pogba drops out left to pick it up, Shaw often chooses not to overlap/underlap, and instead stands behind and slightly inside the channel, which forces the play to recirculate right to the other side of the field.

I don't think Shaw will ever be that top class left-back we're hoping he'll become. He looks unconvincing when he gets into good areas, doesn't possess a good cross. Occasionally he plays a pass or two between the lines, but it's not enough if you're trying to stand out amongst six top teams in the EPL.

ash_86

I don't think he's had the worst game. He was missing his partner in Martial with whom he's had a good understanding. He makes a few mistakes but he has enough pace to make a recovery. His deliveries needs to be better. I don't think he's a serious problem at this point.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He's had the run in the team that we've all been calling here for the last couple of years, and he's not really done enough IMO.

Canagel

First time I've actually clocked that he's not quick anymore. Mata spread the ball out wide to him ,it was just infront of him not too far ahead but he was too slow to get there.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The amount of under-hit, mis-placed passes from him today was concerning. He gets high enough up the field, however, he doesn't aggressively attack the left hand side. If Pogba drops out left to pick it up, Shaw often chooses not to overlap/underlap, and instead stands behind and slightly inside the channel, which forces the play to recirculate right to the other side of the field.

I don't think Shaw will ever be that top class left-back we're hoping he'll become. He looks unconvincing when he gets into good areas, doesn't possess a good cross. Occasionally he plays a pass or two between the lines, but it's not enough if you're trying to stand out amongst six top teams in the EPL.
Agree with this. He did some things well I thought and waited for him to really get involved in the game but for some reason (maybe lack of stamina?) he just started to dwell on the ball, feck up simple passes and arrive late to everything that was happening from that point on. Just doing totally unnecessary things. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he gets tired fast, and that it has a direct effect on his decision making.

I think he is solid enough for a top 6 team but just wished he could build on his performances after getting the contract but I have big doubts he'll ever improve that much. We definitely need competition for him, unsure if we should go for an expensive signing right away or let him fight it out a couple of years with a cheaper signing like Tierney or someone like that.

Georgan

He's good enough to be here, probably the best english left back atm too. I also agree we need to bring someone to challange/rotate him with as soon as the market opens. Mendy from Lyon for me.

AR87

First time I've actually clocked that he's not quick anymore. Mata spread the ball out wide to him ,it was just infront of him not too far ahead but he was too slow to get there.
Actually, I think the main issue there is that he was expecting the ball to feet, not to be played ahead of him to run on to. The same thing happened earlier in the match when he made an overlapping run and slowed down before the ball was played ahead of him.

sam147

Our fans are really happy with Shaw because we had to endure dross at LB. The fact is Shaw isn't good enough and he most certainly should not be relied on as the sole LB going into a new season. He has a great first touch, passing ability and great in the air. But defensively he looks suspect. And attacking wise he is mediocre from what he has shown so far. Nothing wrong with competition. We should go for Alex Telles from Porto, in this system he would be brilliant. Better engine than Shaw, better crosses, much more agile and he can stay fit.

Kostov

I’m one of his biggest fans on here, but he must do better than what he showed today. I’m slightly worried, since I’m convinced that he can do better ability wise, but he must stay focused and motivated.

POF

Agree with this. He did some things well I thought and waited for him to really get involved in the game but for some reason (maybe lack of stamina?) he just started to dwell on the ball, feck up simple passes and arrive late to everything that was happening from that point on. Just doing totally unnecessary things. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he gets tired fast, and that it has a direct effect on his decision making.

I think he is solid enough for a top 6 team but just wished he could build on his performances after getting the contract but I have big doubts he'll ever improve that much. We definitely need competition for him, unsure if we should go for an expensive signing right away or let him fight it out a couple of years with a cheaper signing like Tierney or someone like that.
I agree with this. He looked gassed in the second half and seemed reluctant to overlap in behind, most likely so he wouldn't have the long sprint back.

Full back is a position in the modern game that needs great conditioning to be able to get up and down the line. I worry that Shaw will never be able to do that.

He also plays far too narrow and doesn't hold the width, which is a problem when United's wide forwards also play narrow.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Our whole back 4 needs upgrading if we want to challenge at the top again. Shaw is lucky that the other positions are more urgent.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I agree with this. He looked gassed in the second half and seemed reluctant to overlap in behind, most likely so he wouldn't have the long sprint back.

Full back is a position in the modern game that needs great conditioning to be able to get up and down the line. I worry that Shaw will never be able to do that.

He also plays far too narrow and doesn't hold the width, which is a problem when United's wide forwards also play narrow.
Exactly. I have to admit it really pissed me off this game, because I really like Shaw but the little twat just refuse to improve:lol: He has all the conditions in place to succeed: Great talent, the backing from the club, no competition for his place, world-class players to play with. He seems to be functioning in the team, then suddenly in game he just stops playing and becomes the weakest link. So fecking annoying.

POF

Exactly. I have to admit it really pissed me off this game, because I really like Shaw but the little twat just refuse to improve:lol: He has all the conditions in place to succeed: Great talent, the backing from the club, no competition for his place, world-class players to play with. He seems to be functioning in the team, then suddenly in game he just stops playing and becomes the weakest link. So fecking annoying.
I agree. He needs to be much more aggressive with his runs, both with and without the ball. He doesn't really pose a threat down the outside which allows teams to defend narrow against United.

My biggest concern is the reason he's not more aggressive in his running is necessity rather than choice because he doesn't have the fitness levels to do it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His gigantic salary for someone who's done so little has somehow annoys me, but he's better than Walker at his age. So, if Shaw stays healthy/fit, we'll have a very good fullback.

And I think he may surpass Gary Neville also, who was good enough to be part of United golden era.

Mickson

The hype around him is so bizarre. I just checked, Lucas Digne has more points for Everton this season than Luke Shaw has ever managed for Manchester United. It annoys me that he got a new five-year contract for literally doing nothing. It's not like he's great at defending either.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Why is he not bombing forward more? I see no reason why he couldn't play like Robertson. It's not like Robertson is super skilled, it's pace and power all the way. Fitness issue? Sort it out then.

That being said, Shaw's touch, close control and passing is very good, it's Valencia-esque in the sense that if you give him the ball he will not give it away, he will always find a way to pass to a team mate.

JohnnyLaw

The hype around him is so bizarre. I just checked, Lucas Digne has more points for Everton this season than Luke Shaw has ever managed for Manchester United. It annoys me that he got a new five-year contract for literally doing nothing. It's not like he's great at defending either.
What hype?

And to be fair, I believe it’s the most that Digne himself has ever managed in a season.

Shaw is a good left back and he’s still young enough to improve, there’s still a slot to bring someone in alongside him so there’s no need to bank on him but either way you’d be mad to count him out.

haram

Not good enough going forwards especially considering we have little width to begin with. We need to sign a LB.

Wayne's World

I'd still be looking at Kieran Tierney If i was in charge. I like Shaw and he's improved alot but he's just still missing something to be a top level left back

izec

Why is he not bombing forward more? I see no reason why he couldn't play like Robertson. It's not like Robertson is super skilled, it's pace and power all the way. Fitness issue? Sort it out then.

That being said, Shaw's touch, close control and passing is very good, it's Valencia-esque in the sense that if you give him the ball he will not give it away, he will always find a way to pass to a team mate.
Needs more competition to up his game and effort. Plenty of good LBs are available, and they are all better offensively than Shaw. The likes of Telles, Tierney, Chilwell or Philipp Max would be great here to offer something else, a more attacking threat.

Ekeke

Can anyone actually tell me where the hype about Tierney comes from?

It cant be from this season as Celtic failed in the champions league qualification rounds and have played small teams in the Europa league as well. The SPL is less competitive than the championship.

So what did he do last season against good opposition? I know hes good in football manager but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here that he's done something to create the hype in real life too.

Meanwhile Luke Shaw is playing against much higher quality opposition on a weekly basis and doing well. I could understand talk of Digne because he's playing against the same opposition and has been the best attacking fullback in the league whilst still doing well with his defensive numbers, even though he probably isnt as strong as Shaw defensively overall. But Tierney? What am I missing?

Ekeke

Because Robertson gets played in. Shaw still gets forward, like his run to allow space for the 3rd goal we scored yesterday. He was still making those runs 80 mins in. Its just whether its Martial, Rashford, or Lingard, whoever we play on the left comes inside and uses his outside run to create space every time. They never play the pass to put him down the side. Thats what Robertson and the rest get.

Young doesnt get that pass in behind either when he plays left back, but he really doesnt want it. Because hes right footed, he wants a pass to his feet so he can come inside and cross just like whoever we have on the left. Its a bad dynamic with our left sided players not appreciating the runs by mixing it up and actually playing the pass. It makes us more predictable because every single time, our left sided player comes back into the crowd centrally.

Kag

Can anyone actually tell me where the hype about Tierney comes from?

It cant be from this season as Celtic failed in the champions league qualification rounds and have played small teams in the Europa league as well. The SPL is less competitive than the championship.

So what did he do last season against good opposition? I know hes good in football manager but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here that he's done something to create the hype in real life too.

Meanwhile Luke Shaw is playing against much higher quality opposition on a weekly basis and doing well. I could understand talk of Digne because he's playing against the same opposition and has been the best attacking fullback in the league whilst still doing well with his defensive numbers, even though he probably isnt as strong as Shaw defensively overall. But Tierney? What am I missing?
This comment reads as if you’ve never watched Tierney play? Instead you’ve merely used Celtic’s position in football to make conclusions about his ability to play football, which is a little strange.

Tierney is good player. His delivery, by any measure, is excellent. Having a left back that can cross is certainly something we lack at the club, so this is why he’s so often mentioned.

Kag

Shaw is coming in for some bizarre (albeit I’m not surprised) criticism. He’s defending well and his link up play is excellent. He’ll only get better, too. His crossing needs to improve, and I think the club needs to invest in a left back with a wicked delivery, but Shaw is the least of our worries.

He needs cover and competition, mind. We’re an injury away from playing Young, Rojo or Darmian at left back and that’s unforgivable.

Ekeke

This comment reads as if you’ve never watched Tierney play? Instead you’ve merely used Celtic’s position in football to make conclusions about his ability to play football, which is a little strange.

Tierney is good player. His delivery, by any measure, is excellent. Having a left back that can cross is certainly something we lack at the club, so this is why he’s so often mentioned.
I havent seen him play. Thats why I'm asking.

He must have done more than play against minnows in the SPL, Champions league qualification rounds and europa league to convince people he's a top leftback

Right?

Kag

He must have done more than play against minnows in the SPL, Champions league qualification rounds and europa league to convince people he's a top leftback

Right?
He’s a talented young player, irrespective of the opposition he’s playing against.

What more can he do? His mother squeezed him out in Glasgow. He can’t really alter that.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Right?
He's played over 100 matches for Celtic, captained Scotland, and in 2017 was named in the uefa champions league breakthrough XI. I'm pretty sure Celtic got into the group stage at that point and did well in a really tough group but I'm not certain.
He's obviously a very talented player, whether or not he could make the step up to the premier league is something we can't know unless he gets an opportunity.

haram

Right?
Well he can only play against the teams put in front of him.

Ekeke

He's played over 100 matches for Celtic, captained Scotland, and in 2017 was named in the uefa champions league breakthrough XI. I'm pretty sure Celtic got into the group stage at that point and did well in a really tough group but I'm not certain.
He's obviously a very talented player, whether or not he could make the step up to the premier league is something we can't know unless he gets an opportunity.
Okay thankyou

Ekeke

He’s a talented young player, irrespective of the opposition he’s playing against.

What more can he do? His mother squeezed him out in Glasgow. He can’t really alter that.
He's not the one hyping himself up.

Regardless of how good he is, it wouldnt be his fault if people make him out to be something he isnt.

Kag

We'll see. But right now making out that Tierney is better than Shaw when Tierney hasnt played at premier league level is just a guess
It’s impossible to determine whether he’s better all round (I personally don’t think so) but it’s certain he has better delivery into the box. Tierney’s crossing is very good, in fairness.

And we lack a left back that can whip in a ball. Having two good options would be great for us.

Ekeke

It’s impossible to determine whether he’s better all round (I personally don’t think so) but it’s certain he has better delivery into the box. Tierney’s crossing is very good, in fairness.

And we lack a left back that can whip in a ball. Having two good options would be great for us.
Fair points

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve noticed the theme seems to be the questioning of his attacking contribution, which is perhaps fair, but my concerns with him are just as much defensive.

Yesterday, crosses were coming in too easily. He’s easy to beat 1v1 and yesterday he was typically hanging about 10 yards away from his winger allowing him to cross unchallenged. He did this against Watford a couple years back and everyone had a pop at Mourinho for having a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.