Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copa Mundial

Ridiculous that people are knocking Shaw after yesterday's game. He's quite clearly a confidence player and a decent run of games will do him the world of good.

Personally I thought he was excellent yesterday and there were some superb triangles with him, Pogba and Martial yesterday.

It would be very unwise to write Shaw off this early, the lad has talent.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's a decent option. I'd hope we sign another left back to compete with him for the place in the summer.

el3mel

He does the bare minimum as a left back but can't see how anyone looks at him and decides he's our long term option for the spot.

Needs a top left back with some output in summer.

Steven7290

He's not that good attacking wise and concedes many unnecessary fouls. Hope he can improve but chances are we would want a left back with better output to compete in Europe

Skills

Snitch
He's not that good attacking wise and concedes many unnecessary fouls. Hope he can improve but chances are we would want a left back with better output to compete in Europe
Interestingly enough what kind of output are you expecting from a full back?

pascell

He has so many areas which he needs to improve in, unfortunately I can't see him doing so. He was a massive weak link in our team today against Huddersfield who are Championship level team.

Ace of Spades

Need a new LB to compete with him. Needs to be better in attack. He is solid in defense, which is good.

Last edited:

Ekeke

He needs better quality in attacking positions. At this point he could be upgraded on.
He makes runs but doesnt get played in. All of our options on the left just use him as a dummy run and come inside again. Young could make it work because he'd get the ball to feet, check inside himself and cross. No left footed left back will attack well for us if the ball isnt played to them when they make runs. Unless they're the converted-winger type who should be playing in midfield and can beat 1 or 2 players alone in order to get free on the left. Shaw isnt that type, he's balanced good defensively and in attack he's decent.

For the record though he attacked and got further forward than Dalot on the other side. Shaw's average position was just past the half way line, Dalot's was just inside our own half.

marktan

Why so much hate for him? Think our RB is a bigger concern for us than Shaw. He's not attacking as well as when he was younger, but he is getting forward and imo he's really good on the ball which is very important for us. Very hard to dispose and rarely misplaces a pass which makes him a very useful outlet.

Steven7290

Interestingly enough what kind of output are you expecting from a full back?
I'm talking about the quality of his cross, they are not as good as someone like Dalot even. His ball playing in dangerous area could add more diversity as well. I'm aware if we go for one class above him we're looking at world class full backs and there arent many of them around but thats where we need to aim.

Needless to say I'm happy with him but not overly content

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like I said post Cardiff, we need a technical LB to compete with him.

el3mel

We don't need a LB to compete with him. We need someone to replace him. A top left back and Shaw as the direct sub for him is the best for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Still think signing Tierney could be one of the smartest pieces of business we could do. Obviously we need a right winger and center back before a left back, but Tierney probably wouldn't cost 50m like the others and he would be perfect competition with Shaw and probably fully replace him too in time.

El Jefe

I used to think he'd be a world beater but nowadays he just seems like a solid option at left back. He'll do a job but compared to fullbacks at our rivals he lacks so much quality in the final third and he's not all that defensively either.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not too sure what people want. Was highly involved in all of our attacks today. Made the second most touches (105) after Pogba.

With Pogba, Lingard and Rashford all drifting too the wing, we don't need Shaw bombing down the wing all the time. Can't find the quote, but after the Cardiff game, Ole said due to the directness of Martial (I know he wasn't playing today), Shaw had more of a support role, whereas Young had the attacking, bombing on role.

I think for the way we're playing - so overloading the left hand side, he's a perfect fit. Not the best attacker in the world, but doesn't have to be due to having running down the left channel.

Ekeke

I'm talking about the quality of his cross, they are not as good as someone like Dalot even. His ball playing in dangerous area could add more diversity as well. I'm aware if we go for one class above him we're looking at world class full backs and there arent many of them around but thats where we need to aim.

Needless to say I'm happy with him but not overly content
I mean its true his final ball isnt the best. Its okay but an attacking fullback like Digne would provide more going forward. But he's also the fullback with the most end product in the league this season

manutddjw

Best word to describe him is adequate. He’s good enough to be here and start games, but he’s not a player that if he’s out for whatever reason our team massively suffers like other defenders we’ve had in the past.

Andersons Dietician

Not too sure what people want. Was highly involved in all of our attacks today. Made the second most touches (105) after Pogba.

With Pogba, Lingard and Rashford all drifting too the wing, we don't need Shaw bombing down the wing all the time. Can't find the quote, but after the Cardiff game, Ole said due to the directness of Martial (I know he wasn't playing today), Shaw had more of a support role, whereas Young had the attacking, bombing on role.

I think for the way we're playing - so overloading the left hand side, he's a perfect fit. Not the best attacker in the world, but doesn't have to be due to having running down the left channel.
It’s madness isn’t it, personally thought he was really good today and did a lot of really good things, he’s a proper ball player and he needs to take more shots with that left as it’s a cannon but I have no idea what people are wanting from him and then I see people mention Tiernay. He’s a decent talent but sorry he is nowhere near the quality of Shaw and when people actually sit down to watch him they are going to be in for a nasty surprise.

I guess when it comes to fullbacks and the CAF unless you’re doing a Marcelo and playing as a winger and constantly whipping in crosses then you’re rubbish.

For the life of me I’ll never understand some people and we still have people going on about his god damn weight!

Steven7290

I mean its true his final ball isnt the best. Its okay but an attacking fullback like Digne would provide more going forward. But he's also the fullback with the most end product in the league this season
When I was typing that Patrice Evra was the player I was thinking about. His crossing was not great, below average even but his other attacking qualities such as dribbling and linking up play with his partner to build our attack was superb.

Litch

In this new system, the full backs could add another dimension but we need better attacking qualities than we have at the club. Luke just reminds me of the traditional LB and that position has moved on more than his skill set can offer....

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Without being an outstanding individual, I do think he links together the left side quite well.

Give him a commanding LCB to his right, and any so called defensive flaws will be minimised.

His attacking game can improve, particularly his delivery and the timing...And I'm sure he will steadily get better playing with Pogba, Martial and Rashford.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I have no idea how can you claim he's one of the first to be upgraded on but whad do I know. The guy screams solid imo and this wasn't even his better game. Was really good last time, though. There are literally 4 or 5 positions that need upgrading before him I'd say and a couple of decent attacking showings shouldn't change that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No white text? Shaw is a unit in defense to be fair to him, always has been. His attacking game was always lacking, though.
‘Always been’ is not the best term to use for a young player who is ever changing, especially one who has been through as much as he has over the years.

I think he used to be defensively better, but of late he looks easy to beat, and was allowing average players to get crosses in all day today, due to positioning himself about 10 yards away, just as he infamously did away to Watford 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.