Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaford RED

You just have to watch our games to see how often Valencia was out of position defensively. It was our main issue last season, him and Young not supporting the defense and other players having to cover their positions all the time
last season Gary Neville said Valencia was by far the best full back in the premier league.

Slaford RED

He also doesnt think Mourinho should leave
No ex pro footballer/pundit ever publicly calls for a managers head, I reckon in private he wants Mourinho gone.

I also reckon Neville, will think Shaw is not good enough but publicly states he's a mega talent because his brother scouted him.

I think we were lucky Shaw was injured against Arsenal because Darmian had a very good defensive game, we would of been wide open down the left, like we have been all season with Shaw playing there.

Mickson

You just have to watch our games to see how often Valencia was out of position defensively. It was our main issue last season, him and Young not supporting the defense and other players having to cover their positions all the time
Again, I don't agree at all. Think he's been rock solid for the past seasons. Can't remember ONE mistake which caused a goal either?

Ekeke

No ex pro footballer/pundit ever publicly calls for a managers head, I reckon in private he wants Mourinho gone.

I also reckon Neville, will think Shaw is not good enough but publicly states he's a mega talent because his brother scouted him.

I think we were lucky Shaw was injured against Arsenal because Darmian had a very good defensive game, we would of been wide open down the left, like we have been all season with Shaw playing there.
Neville was also a shit manager at Valencia, a club I watch semi-regularly.

Can you guess what their weakness was? Conceding goals/defense

Slaford RED

Any word on his injury? Back for the Liverpool game?
He's not injured he was on the bench against Fulham, I doubt he will displace Young after that performance. Unless Moanrinho decides to park the bus and not play Dalot, then put Young at right back.

Irwin99

He's not injured he was on the bench against Fulham, I doubt he will displace Young after that performance. Unless Moanrinho decides to park the bus and not play Dalot, then put Young at right back.
That's weird, I thought the commentator said he was originally on the bench for Fulham but picked up an injury in early warm up and was replaced on the bench.

I will be surprised if Dalot plays because its at Anfield against a deadly front three but you never know.

Edit, yeah it says he was injured https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ball-news/man-utd-shaw-fulham-injury-15525093

Stepney73

With the run of games he's had we've seen Luke give his best shot. Unfortunately he's mediocre and nothing more, which means we need a new LB.
This.

He gets caught out of position far to often to be a top defender plus his overlapping and crossing its up to much either.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I used to be a big fan, but I see now that he is quite average and tbh I don't think he wants to be anything more than just decent enough. He signed a contract and while that may be fine, especially if he improves, we do need a very strong competitor for him.

sam147

Great in the air, decent passing between the lines, average defensively and not great end product. We need another LB for competition, Alex Sandro should be a priority alongside a RW/CB. Alex Telles from Porto is also a decent option.

marktan

He's very good on the ball but he's not running as smoothly as he once used to.. I don't know what is is, maybe being too bulky? If he had the figure of someone like Robertson or Evra I think it'd help, would most likely be less injuries too.

Hoof the ball

He doesn't have the natural instincts of an attacking full-back. Case in point, at one time down the left, Pogba and Martial, were interchanging, which pulled the right-back in, leaving a wide open space down the side of the 18 yard box to run into. Not noticing this, Martial had to physically point to him to tell him where to run, which Shaw then did but took a heavy touch and got tackled. He does this quite often. He has the defensive instincts, but he's going to need some encouragement and coaching to get him to do things automatically.

Red_toad

He's very good on the ball but he's not running as smoothly as he once used to.. I don't know what is is, maybe being too bulky? If he had the figure of someone like Robertson or Evra I think it'd help, would most likely be less injuries too.
So you're expecting him to lose height and width? Big ask that for anyone :lol:.

As he's just back in the team, obviously needs a run of games, he's our best option at leftback.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Can’t believe there are people down playing what he did today. Been out for a while steps back in and I thought played very well. Obviously there are still things to improve on but he was solid defensively and he got forward and joined the attack and worked some lovely stuff with Martial and Pogba. Back to what they were building on before Jose threw his wobbler benched Pogba and Shaw.

marktan

So you're expecting him to lose height and width? Big as that for anyone :lol:.

As he's just back in the team, obviously needs a run of games, he's our best option at leftback.
He is, I'm a big fan of is, just think he doesn't dribble or run forward quite as well as he used to. Maybe due to the leg break and being scared to attack as much.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Pushed up higher today. Even when we were 4-1 up he was still attacking which is good to see.

Has to maintain this work ethic, which is hard to do.

Granted they all seemed to get tired about the 80th minute.

arthurka

Can’t believe there are people down playing what he did today. Been out for a while steps back in and I thought played very well. Obviously there are still things to improve on but he was solid defensively and he got forward and joined the attack and worked some lovely stuff with Martial and Pogba. Back to what they were building on before Jose threw his wobbler benched Pogba and Shaw.
This. The left side had much better attacking outlet than the right, hence Young being more attacking than Shaw. Thought he did very well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Touch was poor. Got into several positions to put in a cross but allowed his marker block it by not acting fast enough.
Would like to see a technical LB compete with him.

Andersons Dietician

This. The left side had much better attacking outlet than the right, hence Young being more attacking than Shaw. Thought he did very well.
Very true, it’ll be great if the right hand side can also become a threat as we are quite one sided in that all the good stuff is mostly done down the left.
I was just really impressed with his overall game, he had 1 bad touch in the game and I Imagine that will be all many see but he had a fantastic touch when he was working all those tight triangles with Pogba and Martial then there was that one where he killed it dead from a Pogba cross field pass like it was nothing. Can’t wait to see how this develops.

Trizy

Touch was poor. Got into several positions to put in a cross but allowed his marker block it by not acting fast enough.
Would like to see a technical LB compete with him.
Clearly a bad game then, he probably has one of the best first touches in the squad behind Mata.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Great in the air, decent passing between the lines, average defensively and not great end product. We need another LB for competition, Alex Sandro should be a priority alongside a RW/CB. Alex Telles from Porto is also a decent option.
My weekly echo of Shaw needing to play at center back; his technical and physical attributes dictate that now. He’s an upgrade on Jones next to Lindelof or Smalling.

Ben Davies has just made the same transition for Spurs and looks fantastic.

sam147

My weekly echo of Shaw needing to play at center back; his technical and physical attributes dictate that now. He’s an upgrade on Jones next to Lindelof or Smalling.

Ben Davies has just made the same transition for Spurs and looks fantastic.
Maybe in a back 3 but in a back 2 we need a real top quality CB. Shaw has always been a bulky strong lad. I heard a story about how he surprised team mates in the gym when he first joined with his natural strength. His bulky physique makes it really difficult for him to handle wingers changing direction. Dalot is also a unit, but he has more athleticism. Rooney was on BT sport talking about how players will play for managers but sometimes might say they took a knock to get out of the limelight and mentioned Shaw specifically. Hopefully he grows in confidence and develops better as a fullback till the end of the season. Come summer we need a LB.

meamth

Yeh. But people actually want a better LB than Shaw. Those two are not (yet).
These people has high standards. They want Marcelo level of LB then they will be okay with it.

People forgot that Evra wasn't at Marcelo level either.

Frank Grimes

Get Wan-Bissaka in and swap Dalot to left back. Alternatively even Ben Chilwell looks a classier player. Shaw doesn't have the minerals imo. He was out for 3 weeks and it looks like he is a stone heavier, same problem with him over and over again.

Bwuk

Get Tierney in the summer.

He’s a similar personality and player to Robertson. Shaw is too laid back mentally to ever be a top class player, doesn’t have the heart or passion.

Red_toad

Clearly a bad game then, he probably has one of the best first touches in the squad behind Mata.
I'd like the next manager to try convert him to a left sided centre half. Surprised no one has tried it, he has the desired attributes pace, height, very comfortable on the ball. Would need to work on aspects of the game, but with good coaching he'd be very good imo.

Bwuk

I'd like the next manager to try convert him to a left sided centre half. Surprised no one has tried it, he has the desired attributes pace, height, very comfortable on the ball. Would need to work on aspects of the game, but with good coaching he'd be very good imo.
Lazy and switches off too frequently, he’d be dreadful as a CB. Maybe get away with it in a 3, but not a 2.

Fracture90

He was very good yesterday, was more involved defensively but was still going forward a lot. He's fresh from the injury so I expect him to be better in coming games.

Trizy

I always thought this myself but there must be a reason no one has tried it.

The White Pele

Thought he was positive yesterday. He’ll be chipping in with goals and assists if he keeps getting in the positions he was yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.