Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedorDead21

He’s been really, really poor.

I’m just hoping that it’s because he’s rusty due to barely playing over the last few seasons. Hopefully he’s able to stay fit and keep getting minutes while Young comes back to play himself into form.

I never thought he was an amazing attacking LB anyway, but he used to have good pace and acceleration and would provide with, even if his crossing and overall output was poor. Now, he just looks all over the place from a defensive and attacking standpoint. Can’t really stop crosses coming in, gets beaten easily by his winger and doesn’t really get up that often to provide width on the flank anyway.

Just sort of ambles around being a nothing player.
If there was any chance to replace I'd be selling him he's had so many opportunities it should not take game time to keep him on the straight and narrow off the pitch.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I've been championing him, but his decision making in the final third is shocking. And his positional awareness and man-marking defensively, is non-existent.

Kostov

I haven't seen a complete game from this preseason, has he been that bad?

All the comments looking concerning, I expected of him to at least show those solid performances from the winter period, it seems he is far from that.

Andersons Dietician

I haven't seen a complete game from this preseason, has he been that bad?

All the comments looking concerning, I expected of him to at least show those solid performances from the winter period, it seems he is far from that.
Meh, he has done little things here and there were you’re like ok great, he’s made some runs that are good that aren’t picked out but for the most part he’s just been quite average. He’s not by any means been terrible, he’s just probably more so not hit the heights people were expecting him to get to.
He hasn’t performed anywhere near the level of the mythical 6/7 games before the break.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Him and Fosu Mensah are of the same breed. Both have the physical capabilities but just no brain for the game and that can't be taught in my opinion

AP88

Supports
Man City
I think Jose’s killed him, mentally. He’s too scared to be instinctive on the field.

If he sees out his contract, and the 3-5-2 becomes the default, Shaw should only be considered a left sided centreback - he’s terrible going forward. Borthwick-Jackson is probably the last decent crosser United have had in either fullback role....

MadMike

I think Jose’s killed him, mentally. He’s too scared to be instinctive on the field.

If he sees out his contract, and the 3-5-2 becomes the default, Shaw should only be considered a left sided centreback - he’s terrible going forward. Borthwick-Jackson is probably the last decent crosser United have had in either fullback role....
As bad as he is going forward he's even worse at positional awareness. He'd make a very poor LCB and be a constant liability. And if we were planning to play 3 at the back and include a left footed LCB we might as well have kept Blind, he's far better at that particular role than Shaw is likely to ever be.

I think he knows he's done here and he knows no one will offer him even half of the 100k per week he's currently on, so he's just seeing out his contract and milking it for all it's worth. He might also pick up a larger sign-on fee if he leaves on a free, which might bump his total package and compensate him somewhat for the salary loss.

Roboc7

He looks a very ordinary player and no idea why he hasn’t been moved on or hasn’t left himself. Dont see what good it does anyone involved letting him spend another season mostly on the bench or sat in the stands.

Would much rather we get rid now and bring in Tierney but seems like Shaw will be able to run his contract down.

Minimalist

Haven't really seen much quality (or even just adventure) in him this pre-season, for all his big talk.

Chalk it up to flawed scouting and move on I think.

SteveW

I know nobody wants to hear this but we might as well tell it as it is. He doesn't look fit at all. Heavy and slow.

Nick7

Haven't really seen much quality (or even just adventure) in him this pre-season, for all his big talk.

Chalk it up to flawed scouting and move on I think.
Wouldn't say flawed scouting. I'd put the blame squarely on Shaw. He was a great young player at Southampton, came with a lot of promise. But failed to live up to that promise.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know nobody wants to hear this but we might as well tell it as it is. He doesn't look fit at all. Heavy and slow.
Fitness not the issue here, for me. He’s just poor at football at this point.

ash_86

His delivery is so bad that he might as well put out the ball directly. When he gets to key positions, he either hits the first defender or gives a cross that goes behind the far post. Was he ever good at crossing when he burst out initially?

kps88

Yup. I doubt his fitness is at such low levels that even his final ball and general positioning go to shit.

SteveW

They go hand in hand. It's hard to play nice football when you're not fit enough. He's still a nice footballer. He's neat and tidy, passes the ball well. He just doesn't have the burst of pace to open up good crossing angles anymore. Watching him amble up and down the line is frustrating these days. He shouldn't be like that at 23.

Minimalist

Wouldn't say flawed scouting. I'd put the blame squarely on Shaw. He was a great young player at Southampton, came with a lot of promise. But failed to live up to that promise.
Well to be fair there’s more to a player than their on field performances (especially at a young age) over a certain time period. I’m referring to his mentality which has been said to have been known even then. Ferguson famously looked into everything about a player (family etc) to see what they were like as people. Not saying he wasn’t highly rated - just ultimately it’s a poor fit.

Minimalist

I know we're not supposed to comment on his weight but he seriously looks chunky for a full-back.

acnumber9

His weight is the least of the problem. He’s just not a very good player.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He's so sloppy. He plays the kind of casual 5 and 10 yard passes that I do. Overhit, 1 yard wife of their target, wrong footing his team mate. It's pub level at times.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The way Lewandowski just walked past him there :lol:

Devil81

Doesn't look sharp enough to me, having said that it's preseason. They could be told to hold back a little.

Minimalist

Agree. Not the best defensively, offers nothing in attack. Pointless.
That's the part that disappoints me the most. He's really poor at providing support. These days that's not good enough for any PL side with ambitions.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Doesn't look sharp enough to me, having said that it's preseason. They could be told to hold back a little.
It’s pre season for everyone. He’s not been very good, and has all the minutes he could want and failed to impress.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
His weight is the least of the problem. He’s just not a very good player.
yep, even if he gets to his best fitness levels, his first touch is shit, he can't play a pass or cross, non-existent dribbling, and generally attacking wise he's poor and hardly rock solid going back, sell him so someone can take a punt on him

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s trying a lot harder today, obviously seems a lot fitter cardiovascular. Still absolutely useless positioning, technical ability and overall concentration. Those won’t come if the fat gets shredded off...

Minimalist

yep, even if he gets to his best fitness levels, his first touch is shit, he can't play a pass or cross, non-existent dribbling, and generally attacking wise he's poor and hardly rock solid going back, sell him so someone can take a punt on him
I'd be delighted if we get 10-15m for him. Think he'll just see out his contract though.

AKDevil

That's the part that disappoints me the most. He's really poor at providing support. These days that's not good enough for any PL side with ambitions.
I remember watching him aged 16 run a game from left back at St Mary’s. Shame, for whatever reason, that he won’t be that player, certainly not for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.