6.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

I'm surprised by Rashford, I thought that he was good with the u18 but I never thought that he would adapt that easily to professional football, that's not easy, the game is different at that level, the rhythm, the intensity, the physicality are very different and he looks like a fish in the water, he plays like a PL striker. That's a good surprise.
Some players make the jump easier than others.

What he has had on his side is a Van Gaal who trusted him to start 8 matches in a row. And Rooney being out making it easier to start him.

Ji_Maria

This kid is the real deal. He's got pace, power, guile, skill, and that killer instinct.

suheilsworld

He is such a naturally gifted striker and that pace is absolutely electrifying. Relishing the idea of him and Martial up front. He has not been fazed by anything. Him and Martial really are cool as ice and matured for their age. Thank feck Rooney is injured and hoe he ain't back till end of season and offloaded to China.

Starting to look like the real deal. When the team is playing well and creating chances he isn't missing much at all.

Ji_Maria

I really hope it doesn't become a matter of playing either Rashford or Martial, once Rooney is fit. The two should be starting together every game they are fit. They are the future.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
No. Why the no love for the Welbeck? He would have fallen over hitting the ball. I don't know why such a big lad can't keep his balance. Even Chadwick could keep his balance.
Generally, taller people have a higher centre of gravity and lesser balance.

Ji_Maria

Generally, taller people have a higher centre of gravity and lesser balance.
Yeah, people don't seem to realize that the top footballers aren't actually tall. Aguero is like 174cm, Silva is like 170cm, Messi about the same.

CR7 and his type are truly the exception, and even CR7 is fairly short compared to other top athletes of other sports. In fact, football may be the "shortest" mainstream sport in the world. Much easier to change direction and maintain balance when you have a low center of gravity.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Would like to see Martial and Rashford play as the two strikers in a 4411 with Lingard on the left and Januzaj on the right.

NK86

I'm surprised by Rashford, I thought that he was good with the u18 but I never thought that he would adapt that easily to professional football, that's not easy, the game is different at that level, the rhythm, the intensity, the physicality are very different and he looks like a fish in the water, he plays like a PL striker. That's a good surprise.
Just goes to show that youth football is not really a great indicator of who will make it. Sometimes the most unlikely ones do. Don't know too much about Harry Kane but he did have rather poor loan spells and he is perhaps the best PL striker now. Now Rashford making big strides as well. Amazing really.

Norris

Just goes to show that youth football is not really a great indicator of who will make it. Sometimes the most unlikely ones do. Don't know too much about Harry Kane but he did have rather poor loan spells and he is perhaps the best PL striker now. Now Rashford making big strides as well. Amazing really.
It has a lot to do with a player's psychological toughness as well. That's why you see players who were never deemed "good enough" go and make a mark and those with all the potential in the world, built of glass. But Rashford as far as I know was always heavily touted to be a very good footballer. Even Ashley Fletcher is quite highly rated along with Mitchell from his age group.

Edit: But those two have really had stop start developments, especially Mitchell.

Last edited:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Great performance from him yesterday. Besides the composure and presence of mind to take his goal so well, the work rate, and tracking back, as well as working the channels, he's got it all. Him and Martial are the future.

I was thinking about all the 'Losing our identity' threads we had on here after the last two summers; Ironic that we ended up depending on our academy after all.

Smores

I think we have to thank the gods for Rooneys injury really. It'll be interesting to see what happens on his return.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
People need to give up this comparing every attacker came through the academy with Macheda.
Good point. Rashford, CBJ and others have done well. It's a shame some people live in the past. The kids haven't let us down.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He's been the highlight of a shite season for me. I know Demichelis is an absolute donkey but that goal yesterday was top class. Hopefully Jose gives him plenty of chances next season and Rooney fecks off.

Robbie Boy

I find it hard to get excited by some of the youngsters that some have gotten excited about over the years; Cleverley, Welbeck & McNair all immediately spring to mind. But Rashford has definitely got me excited, he looks such a talented player and is only 18!

pacifictheme

Genuinely hopeful that he will be our harry kane. If he can get another 3 or 4 this season it'll be remarkable. High hopes for him, plus he clearly loves the club which is great. Would be nice to not have to worry about the striker position as well. Could focus more on cb, cm and a winger then.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Yeah, Kane wasn't too hot, but Pochettino gave him some Europa games rather than Soldado or whoever was starting for them, and he just kept scoring until he couldn't be left out of the starting 11.

Player Red

Great performance from him yesterday. Besides the composure and presence of mind to take his goal so well, the work rate, and tracking back, as well as working the channels, he's got it all. Him and Martial are the future.

I was thinking about all the 'Losing our identity' threads we had on here after the last two summers; Ironic that we ended up depending on our academy after all.
He must have won the ball about three times doing this, nipping in when their players thought they had time, great to see.

RedRevongge

Yeah, Kane wasn't too hot, but Pochettino gave him some Europa games rather than Soldado or whoever was starting for them, and he just kept scoring until he couldn't be left out of the starting 11.
True. But Harry Kane was 21(I think) and had some loan experience and playing for a club with lower expectations.

For Rashford to come in and score goals against the likes of Man City and Arsenal at 18 for a team massively struggling but with sky high expectations is phenomenal really. Obviously he needs to maintain his level and improve but he seems like he could be a great player (potentially)

Not knocking Kane as he has done phenomenally too and would love him here

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
True. But Harry Kane was 21(I think) and had some loan experience and playing for a club with lower expectations.

For Rashford to come in and score goals against the likes of Man City and Arsenal at 18 for a team massively struggling but with sky high expectations is phenomenal really. Obviously he needs to maintain his level and improve but he seems like he could be a great player (potentially)

Not knocking Kane as he has done phenomenally too and would love him here
Definitely, what Rashford is doing is incredible. Something out of Roy of the Rovers, or FM.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think we have to thank the gods for Rooneys injury really. It'll be interesting to see what happens on his return.
We already know what's going to happen on his return, sadly.

Dr. J

Was Rashford considered one of the next big things coming out the academy, or has he just seized the opportunity he's been given?

Dr. J

He was actually, one of the best attacking talents for the last u18 group, along with Mitchell who is more of a pure winger and suffered some injuries.
Yeah, I remember seeing a tweet awhile back when Welbeck was sold saying that no one would remember him once Rashford broke through. Still seemed like he was comfortably behind Keane and Wilson in the pecking order, though.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Yeah, I remember seeing a tweet awhile back when Welbeck was sold saying that no one would remember him once Rashford broke through. Still seemed like he was comfortably behind Keane and Wilson in the pecking order, though.
He's younger than they are, he is in a different age group. Furthermore, he has also just been transformed to a striker, he used to play on the wing. So they werent really comparable.

jb8521

He's 5 years younger than Keane and 2 younger than Wilson, Keane and Wilson were both more impressive as goalscorers in the underage setup but Rashford has always been very highly rated by the staff and was given 1 of the highest paying contracts that we've ever given to an u18 player. Up until last year he was playing as a winger or 2nd striker so he has a lot of attributes which some strikers don't have that are helping him with the step up such as dribbling ability, link up play and ability to be effective on the wings. 2 things he's had over Keane and Wilson which have been partly due to circumstances and partly due to how well he's taken his chance have been that he's gotten a proper run of games in the first team and that he's managed to stay fit when his opportunity arose

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Kane was pretty much as likely as can be. He was scoring about a goal a game for the u18s and has 11 goals and 10 assists in 14 u21 matches. He also has an impressive record at youth international level and won Millwall's young player of the year. He was also pretty good for Leyton Orient, averaging a goal every 180 minutes. The only thing it shows it that you shouldn't judge young players on loans where they never get to play bar some 10-20 minute cameos off the bench.

jb8521

It has a lot to do with a player's psychological toughness as well. That's why you see players who were never deemed "good enough" go and make a mark and those with all the potential in the world, built of glass. But Rashford as far as I know was always heavily touted to be a very good footballer. Even Ashley Fletcher is quite highly rated along with Mitchell from his age group.

Edit: But those two have really had stop start developments, especially Mitchell.
Fletcher has never been particularly highly rated partly because he was in the same age group as Wilson who was always miles ahead of him and he is 2 years older than Rashford, they only played in the same age group when Rashford was playing u18 as an u16 player. Mitchell's injury problems and lack of growth physically have made the past 18 months a write off for him which is a pity because he has plenty of talent.

Norris

Fletcher has never been particularly highly rated partly because he was in the same age group as Wilson who was always miles ahead of him and he is 2 years older than Rashford, they only played in the same age group when Rashford was playing u18 as an u16 player. Mitchell's injury problems and lack of growth physically have made the past 18 months a write off for him which is a pity because he has plenty of talent.
Yes, I am aware that Fletcher was in Wilson's group, but I thought he was fairly highly rated. He seems to be doing decent at his loan spell if I am not mistaken.

Shame about Mitchell though, thought we would have a proper genuine winger in him. Hope he still makes it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
feck Kane, he's gonna be Rashmàrio. Hopefully without the smoking and shagging instead of training thing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.