6.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

khoazany

Willo needs to improve his fitness and playing with his back to the goal.His finishing is good even at senior level though, as he shown on his loan move.His ability to run with the ball at pace is very useful but he needs to be in those position to get more of the ball.Rashford's all-round game is better and he has an incredible touch.

Baxter

Think he's got a bit of the Aguero skill set. The burst of pace to take out a couple of defenders and the awareness of what's around him. When he's fully physically developed he'll be absolutely brilliant.

Just watched the goal back and in Martin Tyler's commentary he called him Lingard :lol:

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm actually very skeptical about his chances here (not rational, just feel like it), but he does his best to prove me wrong. Hopefully he'll continue to improve

RedStarUnited

All I'll say on that is Fosu-Mensah is a unfair example as strikers are judged much more harshly than players in any other position, Wilson's all round game wasn't bad when he got opportunities he just didn't score many, and it's not as though he was missing sitters or something. I also don't think it's wrong as someone who's seen both thoroughly to say that Wilson matches Rashford's attributes as it's not as though he's shown nothing at all at first team level, there was definitely promise shown.

Thanks a lot mate. Think some will be surprised to see this as their memory of Wilson's chances last season seem distorted. Pretty much exactly as I thought it'd be, more appearances but all pretty much brief cameos in which he wasn't able to do much. Yet some say Wilson's had ample opportunity already...
The biggest benefactor of Rooney's injury and LVG's 'lack' of planning for the injury. Wilson had to challenge with RVP, Rooney and Falcao. Its really not fair.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All I'll say on that is Fosu-Mensah is a unfair example as strikers are judged much more harshly than players in any other position, Wilson's all round game wasn't bad when he got opportunities he just didn't score many, and it's not as though he was missing sitters or something. I also don't think it's wrong as someone who's seen both thoroughly to say that Wilson matches Rashford's attributes as it's not as though he's shown nothing at all at first team level, there was definitely promise shown.

Thanks a lot mate. Think some will be surprised to see this as their memory of Wilson's chances last season seem distorted. Pretty much exactly as I thought it'd be, more appearances but all pretty much brief cameos in which he wasn't able to do much. Yet some say Wilson's had ample opportunity already...
I don't agree that Wilson's all round game was impressive in his games with us. My impression was generally that of a headless chicken, and he looked nervous and uncoordinated most of the time. He just didn't look a special talent. Rashford has done. That’s not to say Wilson will not still look special for us, but I am pointing out that at this point t, we are discussing one player who has done and one who has not. My issue is how often Wilson is discussed on here as of he already is a player who has shown these capabilities with the team.

Rashford has shown what a young striker with great potential should look like here. Martial showed it. Rooney showed it at 18. That is the standard. Wilson also has designs on being g our main striker like them. Why should he be I the argument if he cannot reach the levels for us that others have?

prath92

Wilson though rarely pushed for anything more than that. Had he shown more promise or something we would have played them more as lingard, CBJ and all have shown. I think Wilson started for us ahead of falcao against Liverpool last season but did very little. In contrast rashford led the line vs city and scored a goal. Rashford has got more chance because he earned it. Imo Wilson is yet to show anything at senior level (his debut aside). And I don't mean goals. Just general play. I can remember the QPR away game last year when he had a run against them (not the goal but before that) but that's about it iirc.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Rashford certainly seems to have a sense of occasion from what we've seen so far. I know it's a bit of cliche but he just looks like a United player, fearless and tireless, he just looks likes he's having fun out there and it was a terrific response to the reported bollocking he reportedly got on Sunday.

Parry Gallister

Rashford certainly seems to have a sense of occasion from what we've seen so far. I know it's a bit of cliche but he just looks like a United player, fearless and tireless, he just looks likes he's having fun out there and it was a terrific response to the reported bollocking he reportedly got on Sunday.
Yep, when he's on song, beating people and moving well and quickly it reminds me of watching Giggs when he was a kid (different kind of player I know) and what Ferguson said about him - '(he) floated over the ground like a cocker spaniel chasing a piece of silver paper in the wind' just the sheer joy and abandon of it is great to watch. Really hope he makes it here, there's never any guarantees.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Goal of the season for us, fecking ledge moment! Love it :drool:
Says more about how few we've scored that there hasn't really been any "great" goals that I can think of, that this one, though it was a really good goal, is our best this season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All of his goals have come in huge games for us... Not a bad start to his senior career at all. It hasn't been by luck either, he has good movement, knows how to go past players with some skill and use his pace brilliantly, and showed today how good of a finisher he can be. We'll see if he truly develops into a good player or if this is just a good patch of form, but with his height and pace, if he bulks up, he can really develop into a beast of a striker. Just think of him, but with a lot more muscle so he can hold off defenders hold up the ball really well along with still be so good. He's really thin right now but that's because he's so young. Give him a couple of seasons to bulk up, which isn't needed for everyone but in his case would really make a difference I think.

Spock

Holy Mother of God. Just now watching the game...Rashford's goal is pure class. That's the kind of goal talk about when we discuss "chances created" in other threads. Did Rashford really have a "chance" before he squared himself up for the shot? No. It was a nice pass to feed him but Rashford did all the work to create something out of nothing. THAT is what we've been missing all season.

Norris

Eh?? He didn't play in either game

:lol:
No he didn't. We moved our first choice RB that season, Wes Brown to CB and played Owen Hargreaves at RB.
Explain please.

Sorry my bad. For some weird reason I was so certain he played in the semifinal. Then was it the previous round ? Coz I remember Fergie specifically saying he would play since one of our CBs was not available. He was still good though. :angel:

Norris

Well of course Fergie deserves a lot of credit but the players you named feel like they debuted ages ago, Vangle past two seasons gave debut to 17 palyers, of course there is difference in squad sizes but the numbers are just there, okay I can give you Brown, Fletcher, O'shea as well but right now it just feels like that there doesn't need to be a strictly special talent to make it or like that we have so many talents there but until we give them chance we will not see if they can take the chance like Rashford, TFM, CBJ.. I think sometimes you may want to take the risk and Fergie at the end of his career wasn't risking much..
Yeah, but his method is also a little frightening to be honest. Last year after McNair's performance against West Ham, people were hailing him. Then van Gaal said he could be our RB for the next 10 years and many agreed. He had one awful half that year and hasn't even been talked about since. People here suggested he is Championship material. Blackett, whilst possesing zero intelligence atleast had the physique of a half decent centreback. No news of him. Varela was already spoken of as our first choice RB alongside Darmian/Valencia for next season. One bad game and he's nowhere to be seen. Same goes for Januzaj, Wilson etc. Whilst, I do give a lot of credit to van Gaal for how much opportunities he has given youth, he has been a hypocrite as well. He has mentioned it countless times that young players will be inconsistent and that we (fans i.e.) need to bepatient with them. But he seems to be the one showing the least patience for some players. I am sure Fergie would never do that.

This looks like more of the unwarranted extreme lobbying for James Wilson I have seen for a while. Rashford had scored 4 of his 6 goals before he had even played a minute with Martial, so that point doesn't wash. Wilson hasn't really done it. But let's not imply that Rashford has come into a perfectly settled team and attack. He came in when we were at our thinnest, and even carried the attack for a while.

There is absolutely no basis at all for Wilson to be considered ahead of him. He's older and has not shown himself to be a Premier League centre forward yet in my opinion, let alone a United one. Rashford is on the brink of the England squad you would think, Wilson has never gotten close, and even despite Marcus recent run, has probably still played more games for us out of the two.

Keane, for me, should not be in the conversation at all. I accept he was once looking a major talent but that was 4 years ago or more. He hasn't shown he can cut it as a Championship striker after about 4 attempts, yet people are still seeing a a United player in him, at almost 23. He'll be gone in the summer, as he should be.
It isn't really lobbying. Whilst you have a point about Rashford's goals, I think he have found it easier playing in a team like he has compared to what Willo had to contend with. There was little pressure on him, compared to how much there was on Willo.
Even though I have been a Rashford fan boy for over a year now, I still think Willo is the more naturally gifted of the two. He's faster, excellent close control, very good technique and a usually ruthless and calm finisher. He just needs to sort himself out mentally.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Holy Mother of God. Just now watching the game...Rashford's goal is pure class. That's the kind of goal talk about when we discuss "chances created" in other threads. Did Rashford really have a "chance" before he squared himself up for the shot? No. It was a nice pass to feed him but Rashford did all the work to create something out of nothing. THAT is what we've been missing all season.
Well said. Good post.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I cant see Wilson doing the same, even though he's probably as talented. He just didnt look ready, very weak and fragile, lost more battles. On the bal, their dribbling, speed, explosivity is probably similar, with Wilson being a better finisher normally.

MJJ

Remember Pique at CB against Barcelona in a UCL semifinal ? Both legs. I thought Pique would bottle it, but he was amazing. I don't think he got conservative. The reason for not giving Pogba a game is well documented. From that youth group, nobody else has really made it. I don't know what happened to Macheda. Then guys like Larnell Cole just never flourished (Was supposedly highly rated at the time). I just think he didn't really have that good a group of youth to work with. He even mentioned Lingard would come good by age 23 and he wasn't wrong was he ? He even handed Januzaj a jersey number before retiring.

Edit: He also preferred 18 year old Rafael to the veteran Gary Neville after his return from injury. Even sold guys like Wes Brown and O'shea shortly after that.
That was in 2007/2008 I believe. Am talking about his last few years, its pretty disappointing when your reserve team captain for two/three years cant get a look in at CB over the likes of carrick,fletcher and berba.

I also remember him playing dross like diouf and obertan over the youngsters, maybe some of them could have gone on to become good squad players but werent given a chance. Alternatively, if the quality is poor then thats on him as well as he was in charge of recruiting and we did sign a lot of foreign youth players at that time. Am still disappointed petrucci never made it here, kid had serious talent but injuries ruined his career.

MJJ

Sorry my bad. For some weird reason I was so certain he played in the semifinal. Then was it the previous round ? Coz I remember Fergie specifically saying he would play since one of our CBs was not available. He was still good though. :angel:
That was the group stages I believe when he played and scored from a corner.

Norris

That was in 2007/2008 I believe. Am talking about his last few years, its pretty disappointing when your reserve team captain for two/three years cant get a look in at CB over the likes of carrick,fletcher and berba.

I also remember him playing dross like diouf and obertan over the youngsters, maybe some of them could have gone on to become good squad players but werent given a chance. Alternatively, if the quality is poor then thats on him as well as he was in charge of recruiting and we did sign a lot of foreign youth players at that time. Am still disappointed petrucci never made it here, kid had serious talent but injuries ruined his career.
Are you talking about Tom Thorpe ? I am not so sure he was that highly rated anyway. Petrucci and Possebon as well were very highly rated and another midfielder whose name I can't remember but didn't progress too well due to injuries. Maybe it is a little true towards his later years (after 2009), but SAF never usually puts in a youngster into the first team right from the off anyways, unless they are truly special. Even the class of 92 were slowly introduced into the first team if I am not mistaken (I never watched them, just read about it, but those who did might corroborate). I do think that the group in the latter years was a little low on quality though. Simpson, Gibson are not exactly world class, but I don't know if that blame goes to him since he delegated the scouting for the youth team to Paul McGuiness ?

Fwiw, I actually like Diouf. He's been doing great at Stoke. Power, pace, he has a lot of great attributes. Obertan was always a gamble.

Norris

That I recall. He scored on his UCL debut did he not against some German or Russian team. But I meant another high profile game where I think Vidic was injured/suspended and Pique came in and did really well. Usually SAF is very tight lipped about his team selections, but he said well in advance that Pique would play in the game(s).

MJJ

Are you talking about Tom Thorpe ? I am not so sure he was that highly rated anyway. Petrucci and Possebon as well were very highly rated and another midfielder whose name I can't remember but didn't progress too well due to injuries. Maybe it is a little true towards his later years (after 2009), but SAF never usually puts in a youngster into the first team right from the off anyways, unless they are truly special. Even the class of 92 were slowly introduced into the first team if I am not mistaken (I never watched them, just read about it, but those who did might corroborate). I do think that the group in the latter years was a little low on quality though. Simpson, Gibson are not exactly world class, but I don't know if that blame goes to him since he delegated the scouting for the youth team to Paul McGuiness ?

Fwiw, I actually like Diouf. He's been doing great at Stoke. Power, pace, he has a lot of great attributes. Obertan was always a gamble.
Tunnicliffe? Always thought he was average but was rated very well here. Yeah tom thorpe, for me, was the best CB prospect out of that group and was weird midfidlers/forwards starting in defense over him which was weakening us all over the pitch. Thats one thing I do like about LVG, he actually plays a youngster in the position rather than moving all first teamers around(which he just does for lolz anyway :lol:).

That I recall. He scored on his UCL debut did he not against some German or Russian team. But I meant another high profile game where I think Vidic was injured/suspended and Pique came in and did really well. Usually SAF is very tight lipped about his team selections, but he said well in advance that Pique would play in the game(s).
Wasnt that against roma?

Norris

Tunnicliffe? Always thought he was average but was rated very well here. Yeah tom thorpe, for me, was the best CB prospect out of that group and was weird midfidlers/forwards starting in defense over him which was weakening us all over the pitch. Thats one thing I do like about LVG, he actually plays a youngster in the position rather than moving all first teamers around(which he just does for lolz anyway :lol:).
Think it was Eikrem. Admittedly, I din't rate Thorpe too highly, so wasn't too overly fussed that he didn't get much game time.
Lol, he actually doesn't :p. Borthwick Jackson is mostly a CB, so is TFM. Lingard was a No 10 I believe (Atleast I have been told so), but I get your point. Problem is now the one's that have been given a chance and not really done well at some point are nowhere to be seen. McNair, Varela, Blackett (Don't scowl, just an example), Januzaj, Pereira. So his method has its caveats unfortunately.

Wasnt that against roma?
Yeah, maybe that one. Dunno why I was so certain I thought it was against Barca. :|

Treble

This lad is such a nice surprise. 6 crucial goals over just two months. Fantastic.

Norris

Would people rate Rashford better than an 18 year old Welbeck ?

I had high hopes for Danny but he didnt make it,hope its not another false dawn with Rashford.
That's a difficult comparison isn't it? Two very different footballers. Danny can still make it to be honest. He's only 25 and he's looked sharp since his long injury lay-off.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I had high hopes for Danny but he didnt make it,hope its not another false dawn with Rashford.
Interesting comparison. IIRC fergie said that Welbeck would mature physically and then you'd see a better player. But I don't think we ever did.His link up play is good but what still lets him down is his finishing;he scores some great and vital goals but still misses the bread and butter strikers goals.

Rashford has made a a greater immediate impact.He doesn't really need to bulk up as he's already very quick an agile and he will develop more into the Vardy,Neymar type physique rather than the heavier set Welbeck who took a longer time to physically mature. In terms of who has made that transition and taken the responsibility I'd say Rashford but there's such a long way to go.

Drainy

Yes. Welbeck is a player who chips in but generally puts in the work that helps others throughout the match. Rashford is a more decisive player and has been at all levels, I think.

Wilson seems to have issues with his strength and stamina as well as niggling injuries. He is every bit as talented as Rashford but looks like he needs to build his way up, similar to Kane at Spurs. No guarantees, but he is a special talent as well

Ixion

A little late on this but what a goal. Amazing.

Last edited:

VanGaalEra

I really don't want us to sign a striker who will hinder his progress. This guy, along with Martial, Shaw, Immensah and fingers crossed Renato Sanchez are our future.

Best case scenario, saw off Rooney and get Ibra in for a season or two rotating with Rashford and then this kid when 20 will be ripe and ready to rip the league to shreds.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he can work on his off the ball movement/positioning in the box from crosses he will be absolutely lethal.

The way he slows the ball down then accelerates is as good as anybody I have seen, and I love the little step overs/body faints he does to create that yard of space and unbalance the defenders. He completely threw Tomkins doing that.

When he's in the mood he is always a danger, 1 part that impressed me the most though was when he dropped off, got the ball into feet with the defender up his back and rolled him, shrugged off another and played a neat little through ball to Lingard. That sort of link up play show's he is more than just a fast runner/dribbler. IF he can keep that sort of agility when he's still 25/26 he will be 1 of the worlds best.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Wilson though rarely pushed for anything more than that. Had he shown more promise or something we would have played them more as lingard, CBJ and all have shown. I think Wilson started for us ahead of falcao against Liverpool last season but did very little. In contrast rashford led the line vs city and scored a goal. Rashford has got more chance because he earned it. Imo Wilson is yet to show anything at senior level (his debut aside). And I don't mean goals. Just general play. I can remember the QPR away game last year when he had a run against them (not the goal but before that) but that's about it iirc.
I just think when it comes to Wilson - we didn't offer the play around him. For the goal, Martial plays a nice pass and he can attack the defender. People forget, last season - we barely played the ball forward. We are a bit more stable this season and Rashford will benefit from that service. Wilson can be quiet and then BANG...but as he get's stronger he will be alright. We just need quicker/better service and get these kids in positions to score but when everyone else is negative it's not going to happen.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It isn't really lobbying. Whilst you have a point about Rashford's goals, I think he have found it easier playing in a team like he has compared to what Willo had to contend with. There was little pressure on him, compared to how much there was on Willo.
Even though I have been a Rashford fan boy for over a year now, I still think Willo is the more naturally gifted of the two. He's faster, excellent close control, very good technique and a usually ruthless and calm finisher. He just needs to sort himself out mentally.
Again, I don't buy this. It would have been perfectly fine, and even expected, if Rashford had performed like Wilson did over the last year, instead of how he has actually played. Nobody would have criticised him for not performing despite seemingly having some sort of ideal conditions to do so. Likewise, no reason why Wilson could not have turned in Rashford like performances. If he had done, the conversation old be different.

Also, I still also disagree with these assertions of their respective abilities. Players are to be judged on what they show, not hypotheticals. And Wilson is not faster than Rashford in my opinion either. From your description, Wilson is basically the better player, where's in reality, he isn't. They are both young players, so no absolutes, it isn't like he's proven it already and is just off form. He's yet to prove it at any real level. It's like insisting Quaresma is 'better than Ronaldo', or 'Fabio is the better twin'. If they were, then they would be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I just think when it comes to Wilson - we didn't offer the play around him. For the goal, Martial plays a nice pass and he can attack the defender. People forget, last season - we barely played the ball forward. We are a bit more stable this season and Rashford will benefit from that service. Wilson can be quiet and then BANG...but as he get's stronger he will be alright. We just need quicker/better service and get these kids in positions to score but when everyone else is negative it's not going to happen.
So basically, Wilson came into a struggling attack, while Rashford had ideal conditions? This is making excuses for him. We haven't been a great attacking side for years. Players need to step up. Januzaj stepped into a struggling attack and didn't make excuses for himself. Even players like Iwobi came in and lifted Arsenal's attack when they were struggling to score.

If Wilson is the player all are claiming he is, then he should be impacting like Adnan or Rashford did. We can't keep saying that unless we turn into Barcelona, these kids are all excused.

Status
Not open for further replies.