6.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norris

if you're not mistaken, I am not sure if Fergie would play freshly seventeen striker upfront when he played barely two games for U21 before, he played there smaling and sheasy, wes brown as well, I think Vangle gave debuts to more academy players than Fergie did over his last 10 years, and more starts followed, I am not counting Ravel morrison/tunnincliffe.. one minute contribution in a cup game
That's because Fergie always had a bigger squad to choose from which I already mentioned. But even then, he gave debuts to the likes of Macheda, Giusspi Rossi, Pique, Wellbeck all of whom were still teenagers at that point. Pique even played a very important role in the two UCL Semifinal legs against Barcelona. How much more faith needs to be shown than that ? When he believes the time is right, he trusts those young players. He also listens to the coaching staff a lot and trusts their judgement. I liked Fergie's method to be honest. The idea of easing a young player into the highest level seems a lot more safer than just throwing them in and hoping they come good. Ofocurse, for van Gaal it has come good, but I do think Fergie deserves a lot of praise as well.

Wilson isn't as good with his back to goal as Rashford. He's stronger and has shown a goalscoring instinct that Wilson hasn't been able to transfer to the first team.

Wilson is a bit like Vardy. He needs space to run into.

Wilson was sick on the pitch in January and hasn't wormed his way back into their starting eleven since then. Only 3 starts since January 1st.
Hmm, but I think Rashford is also being helped by having someone like Martial next to him. They have such a telepathic understanding. When Wilson played, it was next to van Persie and Rooney, who were hardly ever on the same wavelength post Fergie.

One of Willo's main attributes is his hard work. He has even been criticized for running around too much and not knowing how to conserve his energy which leads to him gassing out too early.
You misunderstood my point. I mean to say from an attacking perspective, he doesn't really do much for most of the game like hold up the ball well, drag markers out wide etc. But when he suddenly decides to turn it up a notch, he just blazes through and leaves a mark.

Norris

Remember carrick at centreback? Not to mention that blackburn game, SAF got a lot more conservative w.r.t youth as he got older.
Remember Pique at CB against Barcelona in a UCL semifinal ? Both legs. I thought Pique would bottle it, but he was amazing. I don't think he got conservative. The reason for not giving Pogba a game is well documented. From that youth group, nobody else has really made it. I don't know what happened to Macheda. Then guys like Larnell Cole just never flourished (Was supposedly highly rated at the time). I just think he didn't really have that good a group of youth to work with. He even mentioned Lingard would come good by age 23 and he wasn't wrong was he ? He even handed Januzaj a jersey number before retiring.

Edit: He also preferred 18 year old Rafael to the veteran Gary Neville after his return from injury. Even sold guys like Wes Brown and O'shea shortly after that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Great point

Seriously though where has he came from? How long has he been playing under 21 football?
The U18 last season and the U21 this season, I believe. He was good with the U18 but it's hard to judge the attackers because they are always moving.

RedIke

His goal obviously speaks for itself.

But his pass to Lingaard that created that chance was such an impressive peice of play and gives me even more hope.

The kid can play though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Was that his 6th for us? In 11 games or something? He could easily have been our top scorer. I bet Will Keane is gutted though, this is all down to his injury.

m1y2

That's because Fergie always had a bigger squad to choose from which I already mentioned. But even then, he gave debuts to the likes of Macheda, Giusspi Rossi, Pique, Wellbeck all of whom were still teenagers at that point. Pique even played a very important role in the two UCL Semifinal legs against Barcelona. How much more faith needs to be shown than that ? When he believes the time is right, he trusts those young players. He also listens to the coaching staff a lot and trusts their judgement. I liked Fergie's method to be honest. The idea of easing a young player into the highest level seems a lot more safer than just throwing them in and hoping they come good. Ofocurse, for van Gaal it has come good, but I do think Fergie deserves a lot of praise as well.

Well of course Fergie deserves a lot of credit but the players you named feel like they debuted ages ago, Vangle past two seasons gave debut to 17 palyers, of course there is difference in squad sizes but the numbers are just there, okay I can give you Brown, Fletcher, O'shea as well but right now it just feels like that there doesn't need to be a strictly special talent to make it or like that we have so many talents there but until we give them chance we will not see if they can take the chance like Rashford, TFM, CBJ.. I think sometimes you may want to take the risk and Fergie at the end of his career wasn't risking much..

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm starting to think can Rashford save us a fortune in the summer rather than splashing out on a big name striker?

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think the idea should be to bin Rooney and get another striker if possible.
Agree on Rooney but if we bring in a first choice striker, say Lukaku, where does that leave Rashford? On the bench or on loan. I wouldn't mind a short term player like Ibra

Skills

Snitch
No he didn't. We moved our first choice RB that season, Wes Brown to CB and played Owen Hargreaves at RB.

binary bot
Was great leading the line but can't help but feel that he's no Ashley Young

Bwuk

We will have three first choice strikers next year hopefully. Someone new, Rashford and Martial. Plenty of games for all as Martial and Rashford can both play wide.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Hmm, but I think Rashford is also being helped by having someone like Martial next to him. They have such a telepathic understanding. When Wilson played, it was next to van Persie and Rooney, who were hardly ever on the same wavelength post Fergie.

You misunderstood my point. I mean to say from an attacking perspective, he doesn't really do much for most of the game like hold up the ball well, drag markers out wide etc. But when he suddenly decides to turn it up a notch, he just blazes through and leaves a mark.
This looks like more of the unwarranted extreme lobbying for James Wilson I have seen for a while. Rashford had scored 4 of his 6 goals before he had even played a minute with Martial, so that point doesn't wash. Wilson hasn't really done it. But let's not imply that Rashford has come into a perfectly settled team and attack. He came in when we were at our thinnest, and even carried the attack for a while.

There is absolutely no basis at all for Wilson to be considered ahead of him. He's older and has not shown himself to be a Premier League centre forward yet in my opinion, let alone a United one. Rashford is on the brink of the England squad you would think, Wilson has never gotten close, and even despite Marcus recent run, has probably still played more games for us out of the two.

Keane, for me, should not be in the conversation at all. I accept he was once looking a major talent but that was 4 years ago or more. He hasn't shown he can cut it as a Championship striker after about 4 attempts, yet people are still seeing a a United player in him, at almost 23. He'll be gone in the summer, as he should be.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Agree on Rooney but if we bring in a first choice striker, say Lukaku, where does that leave Rashford? On the bench or on loan. I wouldn't mind a short term player like Ibra
Me neither. Maybe that's why we're interested in him (if the reports are to be believed).

RedStarUnited

Remember Pique at CB against Barcelona in a UCL semifinal ? Both legs. I thought Pique would bottle it, but he was amazing. I don't think he got conservative. The reason for not giving Pogba a game is well documented. From that youth group, nobody else has really made it. I don't know what happened to Macheda. Then guys like Larnell Cole just never flourished (Was supposedly highly rated at the time). I just think he didn't really have that good a group of youth to work with. He even mentioned Lingard would come good by age 23 and he wasn't wrong was he ? He even handed Januzaj a jersey number before retiring.

Edit: He also preferred 18 year old Rafael to the veteran Gary Neville after his return from injury. Even sold guys like Wes Brown and O'shea shortly after that.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7368730.stm

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsle...108/match=301911/postmatch/lineups/index.html

Didnt play...

prath92

Hope Mourinho uses him. To be fair, he does use young players if they show quality. Zouma played a lot for instance. Hopefully he puts TFM and Rashford as part of first team.

Sylar

He has no fear. He will be hit and miss, but hes more hit than anything. Hope we do right by him. It would be great to get an experienced striker for him to learn from though. Somebody like how we got Larrson.

spenzo

When it comes to the comparison between Rashford and Wilson, as much as I like Marcus you have to take note of the amount of starts he's got compared to Wilson. Wilson was restricted to a lot of five and ten minute cameos and it's hard to expect much in that scenario. Even Rashford hasn't proven he can come on for a few minutes and score, although he doesn't need to as he's been able to start games and get accustomed to the match pace, something Wilson often wasn't allowed to do.

I rate both and believe they both have big futures at United as Wilson matches Rashford in most attributes, if not betters him in some. If Rashford next season was to have an indifferent spell on loan at a Championship club would he all of a sudden be deemed not good enough? Some on here are way too quick to write people off. What a goal by Marcus though, as @jb8521 mentioned on twitter he's scored a near identical goal to that at under 18 level so it's been in his locker. Great to see and I love how unfazed he is in his performances, almost as though he's unaware/not fussed by how much rides on some of these matches which is great.

WhoDaGOAT

When it comes to the comparison between Rashford and Wilson, as much as I like Marcus you have to take note of the amount of starts he's got compared to Wilson. Wilson was restricted to a lot of five and ten minute cameos and it's hard to expect much in that scenario. Even Rashford hasn't proven he can come on for a few minutes and score, although he doesn't need to as he's been able to start games and get accustomed to the match pace, something Wilson often wasn't allowed to do.

I rate both and believe they both have big futures at United as Wilson matches Rashford in most attributes, if not betters him in some. If Rashford next season was to have an indifferent spell on loan at a Championship club would he all of a sudden be deemed not good enough? Some on here are way too quick to write people off. What a goal by Marcus though, as @jb8521 mentioned on twitter he's scored a near identical goal to that at under 18 level so it's been in his locker. Great to see and I love how unfazed he is in his performances, almost as though he's unaware/not fussed by how much rides on some of these matches which is great.
Wilson played with some very creative players though, and there was a higher optimism back then.

Rashford came in during a time of crisis and lifted the team. It's not like he was playing with van persie, di María and in form players like Young and Herrera who were playing really well this time last year. He came into a mess and thrived in a pile of shit, which is what impresses me the most.

Imagine him in a settled side with more creativity.

I just hope he stays grounded and doesn't act the fool during the summer break. The fame, money, sponsors, women and following are headed his way.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Amazing he keeps scoring from the very few chances we actually create per game.

spenzo

Wilson played with some very creative players though, and there was a higher optimism back then.

Rashford came in during a time of crisis and lifted the team. It's not like he was playing with van persie, di María and in form players like Young and Herrera who were playing really well this time last year. He came into a mess and thrived in a pile of shit, which is what impresses me the most.

Imagine him in a settled side with more creativity.

I just hope he stays grounded and doesn't act the fool during the summer break. The fame, money, sponsors, women and following are headed his way.
I get what you're saying but it'd be really interesting to see how many actual minutes Rashford has compared to Wilson. Also the side Wilson was in last season was only marginally better than our team now, as far as performances go. I rate both of them I just think people have not been very understanding with Wilson, unfair to assume he might not have done what Rashford's been doing given the same opportunities, because Wilson hasn't been given anywhere near the same level of opportunity Marcus has. I just hope he gets another opportunity. Not one to overhype young players but I really foresaw Rooney breaking Sir Bobby's record and Wilson going and breaking himself years down the line. Obviously not likely now but he has it in him no doubt to be a really top player. I know people like to play down the significance of youth football but most that have watched him previously believe he has what it takes so we'll see if he gets the chance, time will tell though.

As far as Marcus staying grounded, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Seems to have good people around him and several coaches have noted his humility even after his crazy breakthrough. Of course you never know but I think he'll be fine.

itso 7

At this level starts for the likes of Wilson and Rashford are at a premium so from the little chances one gets its imperative that they utilize them to earn the manager's trust. Rashford did and Wilson didn't meaning that Rashford now has some credit in the bank which would come handy when the tough times inevitably come. I have no doubt that Wilson will get another chance and when it comes he must take it inorder for him to bring himself back into the reckoning otherwise he will be confined to Rashford's shadow for the foreseeable future.

WhoDaGOAT

I get what you're saying but it'd be really interesting to see how many actual minutes Rashford has compared to Wilson. Also the side Wilson was in last season was only marginally better than our team now, as far as performances go. I rate both of them I just think people have not been very understanding with Wilson, unfair to assume he might not have done what Rashford's been doing given the same opportunities, because Wilson hasn't been given anywhere near the same level of opportunity Marcus has. I just hope he gets another opportunity. Not one to overhype young players but I really foresaw Rooney breaking Sir Bobby's record and Wilson going and breaking himself years down the line. Obviously not likely now but he has it in him no doubt to be a really top player. I know people like to play down the significance of youth football but most that have watched him previously believe he has what it takes so we'll see if he gets the chance, time will tell though.

As far as Marcus staying grounded, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Seems to have good people around him and several coaches have noted his humility even after his crazy breakthrough. Of course you never know but I think he'll be fine.
Man, I thought Wilson was going to become a goalscoring sensation like Messi and Ronaldo. :lol: He was so clinical and sharp at U21, U19 and U18 level. He could glide with the ball and finish from nearly any angle once inside the box.

So I'm genuinely shocked to see how his career is turning out. The perfect debut. He's still young though. A different system would suit him at United. We're playing with more width than we did last season when Young was our only outlet. Martial and Lingard have improved things.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I wonder why Rashford got more starts tha Wilson? There is a clear difference in how their first-team performances have gone. Wilson, despite being the older, has looked like a young kid who is u der cooked and not ready. And if Rashford is indifferent on loan next season, it will not be the same as Wilson, simply because we will remember that he has already shown he can play to an extremely high level in the United first team.

I also think it's wrong to be putting Wilson attributes above Rashford as on the large, we are basing it on youth games. Wilson has not been a youth team player for about two years, these attributes that are often championed are still things he has rarely shown in first team footy.

I do not intend to write Wilson off, but I do think people are too quick to count his achievements or credentials before he has shown it at a proper level. The fact is, even if he is kept this summer, if he plays next season as he has played for the last two, he will likely be sold as not good enough, so he has a lot to prove, more so than Rashford at this stage. No matter how you play for the youth, top flight is sink or swim, nobody is promised it. At the moment, Wilson can't possibly be considered to be swimming at the level required at United. Of course, it is too early to call time, but soon it won't be, and if he is still a United player at the time, it would be down to him having started to play much better than he has done over the last few seasons, not because he used to be prolific in the reserves years ago. Fosu Mensah won't play our next game because he was good for our reserves 6 more the ago, it will be because he was good for the first team in the last game. That’s how it works, players need to take their chances, but over the years, I have generally just seen posters making various excuses for players they like.

spenzo

At this level starts for the likes of Wilson and Rashford are at a premium so from the little chances one gets its imperative that they utilize them to earn the manager's trust. Rashford did and Wilson didn't meaning that Rashford now has some credit in the bank which would come handy when the tough times inevitably come. I have no doubt that Wilson will get another chance and when it comes he must take it inorder for him to bring himself back into the reckoning otherwise he will be confined to Rashford's shadow for the foreseeable future.
Yeah I agree, it's all about timing, and it was perfect for Rashford. I understand why Wilson didn't start as many games as Rashford has but I think last season we could all see RVP was on the wane and Wilson was consistently showing more in his brief appearances than Van Persie was in the preceding 80/85 mins which led to many calling for James to start but it never happened unfortunately. Next season is no doubt crucial for him and we'll have to see what he does.

Man, I thought Wilson was going to become a goalscoring sensation like Messi and Ronaldo. :lol: He was so clinical and sharp at U21, U19 and U18 level. He could glide with the ball and finish from nearly any angle once inside the box.

So I'm genuinely shocked to see how his career is turning out. The perfect debut. He's still young though. A different system would suit him at United. We're playing with more width than we did last season when Young was our only outlet. Martial and Lingard have improved things.
It's crazy to think Wilson's debut was two seasons ago now. I'd really like to see Wilson return to us amongst a better team. I genuinely believe there's enough room for both him and Rashford and that they could save us a truckload of money (not that we have a need to save really) for the foreseeable future.

spenzo

I wonder why Rashford got more starts tha Wilson? There is a clear difference in how their first-team performances have gone. Wilson, despite being the older, has looked like a young kid who is u der cooked and not ready. And if Rashford is indifferent on loan next season, it will not be the same as Wilson, simply because we will remember that he has already shown he can play to an extremely high level in the United first team.

I also think it's wrong to be putting Wilson attributes above Rashford as on the large, we are basing it on youth games. Wilson has not been a youth team player for about two years, these attributes that are often championed are still things he has rarely shown in first team footy.

I do not intend to write Wilson off, but I do think people are too quick to count his achievements or credentials before he has shown it at a proper level. The fact is, even if he is kept this summer, if he plays next season as he has played for the last two, he will likely be sold as not good enough, so he has a lot to prove, more so than Rashford at this stage. No matter how you play for the youth, top flight is sink or swim, nobody is promised it. At the moment, Wilson can't possibly be considered to be swimming at the level required at United. Of course, it is too early to call time, but soon it won't be, and if he is still a United player at the time, it would be down to him having started to play much better than he has done over the last few seasons, not because he used to be prolific in the reserves years ago. Fosu Mensah won't play our next game because he was good for our reserves 6 more the ago, it will be because he was good for the first team in the last game. That’s how it works, players need to take their chances, but over the years, I have generally just seen posters making various excuses for players they like.
All I'll say on that is Fosu-Mensah is a unfair example as strikers are judged much more harshly than players in any other position, Wilson's all round game wasn't bad when he got opportunities he just didn't score many, and it's not as though he was missing sitters or something. I also don't think it's wrong as someone who's seen both thoroughly to say that Wilson matches Rashford's attributes as it's not as though he's shown nothing at all at first team level, there was definitely promise shown.

Willo: 677 minutes over 20 appearances, 4 goals
Rashford: 861 minutes over 11 apps, 6 goals
Thanks a lot mate. Think some will be surprised to see this as their memory of Wilson's chances last season seem distorted. Pretty much exactly as I thought it'd be, more appearances but all pretty much brief cameos in which he wasn't able to do much. Yet some say Wilson's had ample opportunity already...

Status
Not open for further replies.