6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlyn

He's been infuriating recently. Constant safety first option and from the guy who is playing with a defensive minded fullback behind him. Why he is so reluctant to have a go is beyond me. I refuse to believe that Jose is asking his only true winger on the pitch to play it safe.
Who is not an actual winger

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've never been a fan of having clear CFs being placed on the wing. With a player like Rashford the key skill he's missing is hold up play with his back to goal, to me anyway.

Playing out wide as a winger won't improve his ability to receive passes facing away from goal and bringing others in to play. He'll be making many runs in behind the full back, but in tight areas where he can only really pass back or whip the ball in.

Some minutes is better than no minutes I suppose, but a player like Martial who seems to look more malleable as an attacker would be better suited to the wing than Rashford is.

superdry

touched by a genius
If he must be played on the wing then switch him to the right wing. He never uses his left foot, always cuts back to his right foot before he crosses the ball.
This seams like the logical thing to do, has he been played on the right before? I can't remember if he has.
The other problem being his crossing is pretty poor, not accurate, lacks height and curve.

djdhrubs

I surprised none of the Caf body/ facial language experts haven't picked up on this, but I was a bit worried by his reaction to missing that chance in the 1st half. His expression was one of resignation, fairly timid and submissive, which basically means his confidence is shot. He wasn't expecting to put the chance away. If he'd been in any kind of confidence he'd have shouted out in frustration or gotten angry with himself like Mkhi did when he missed a good chance at the end of the game.

Or maybe he's just always like that.

Roboc7

Looks bit lost on the wing, if there isn't space to run into he doesn't seem to know what to do. If he is to be usded there it should be as impact player off the bench.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I surprised none of the Caf body/ facial language experts haven't picked up on this, but I was a bit worried by his reaction to missing that chance in the 1st half. His expression was one of resignation, fairly timid and submissive, which basically means his confidence is shot. He wasn't expecting to put the chance away. If he'd been in any kind of confidence he'd have shouted out in frustration or gotten angry with himself like Mkhi did when he missed a good chance at the end of the game.

I think he's always been like that actually. Also, a player can react differently to similiar situations based on a number of things, so I wouldn't read to much into it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Hes been missing quite a bit lately and its getting to him. Once he gets a few goals he'll be fine. It was a bit of a things are not going my way sort of expression.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

He's always like that. After that first chance he had a snap shot that was well saved. I think he just needs momentum. He's not a typical winger and that hasn't helped but the good thing is that it's perhaps lowered the 'hype'. He's only 19 and played 30 games this season? That's great. He's got a great chance long term but people need to expect these kind of things. In a normal reality, he would be in the reserves or loaned out. Him and Martial will be better for this experience.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Young player getting games and people are upset.

arnie_ni

Annoys me on the wing. Never looks to get behind the full back. Always coming short looking the ball at feet.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Further proof he's not productive enough to start for us yet.

http://www.football365.com/news/five-pl-players-who-curse-their-clubs

Marcus Rashford (Man United)
Now this we weren’t expecting. Rashford has started ten Premier League games this season and Manchester United have won just two. Yes, that does say two. And they were both against a woeful Leicester side. Across all competitions, United have won just 35% of their games when Rashford has started; that rises to 81% without him.

Last edited:

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Further proof he's not productive enough to start for us yet.

http://www.football365.com/news/five-pl-players-who-curse-their-clubs
I wouldn't read too much into that.
I think we all know our league position would/should be about 5 to 7 points better, and isn't due mainly to some abysmal finishing & in a couple of instances, brilliant goal-keeping. Rashford started in some of those matches and may have missed a couple of chances but there have been several other guilty parties on that account, not just him.

As for when he starts, it looks like Mourinho seems to think both Rashford & Martial are future candidates for the CF/main striker role, and many here on the caf would agree with that?

To that end Mourinho started Martial up top against Hull for example before he switched him to the left side where he prospered (as he clearly struggled as the spearhead in the first 45) and we saw the same against Leicester only this time it was Rashford up front (to no avail) before being sent back to the wing.

I don't agree with those saying these kids can't or shouldn't be playing on the wing; or that they are so much better as a central striker. They're both young, can run like feck and both need as many minutes on the park as possible. I don't care where they play as long as its up front of course and as long as they work hard, learn from their mistakes and from the wealth of experience around them.

Of the two, I get the impression Rashford wants it more and tries harder in games and probably in practice. And that's why he's getting a few more chances than Martial.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Crazy how the hype has died down so quickly & everyone including United fans have cooled down on him. Gabriel Jesus is now the new flavour of the month.

LargePea

Think the kid has a great head on his shoulders ! I still feel he is a tad over-rated and if we keep playing him all over the place, I can see his career pan out like Rooney (not a bad thing - but definitely unfulfilled potential).

The only times he has looked like a world beater are when he was an unknown quantity (debut) and when playing as a striker when defences did not sit deep. Needs to learn certain traits from Zlatan like holding the ball up and getting others into play. Seems to have a lot of creativity, tricks and flicks as can be observed from LVG's last season and hopefully he can develop that skill set as well as build up his physicality. I might be among the minority, but don't think he can make it as a winger. Seems like a raw limited dribbler there. Striker is his position definitely !

Philadelphian

He shouldn't be playing so much. Too young and not quite good enough and now he's got a ton of pressure on himself to match his magical start. Whole club is under a ton of pressure to be better than they currently are and he's right in the middle of it. They feel that pressure from the supporters with every poor performance. And god forbid he had a peak at message boards after a meh performance. Takes seasoned pros to handle that but maybe he has it in him.

He's gotta have some head on his shoulders to cope with all that. Because raw talent alone isn't doing the trick this season.

hn4manunited

Think the kid has a great head on his shoulders ! I still feel he is a tad over-rated and if we keep playing him all over the place, I can see his career pan out like Rooney (not a bad thing - but definitely unfulfilled potential).

The only times he has looked like a world beater are when he was an unknown quantity (debut) and when playing as a striker when defences did not sit deep. Needs to learn certain traits from Zlatan like holding the ball up and getting others into play. Seems to have a lot of creativity, tricks and flicks as can be observed from LVG's last season and hopefully he can develop that skill set as well as build up his physicality. I might be among the minority, but don't think he can make it as a winger. Seems like a raw limited dribbler there. Striker is his position definitely !
I agree. This kid definitely has a great head on his shoulders. Looks to have the desire and hunger to do well. He might be trying a little too hard sometimes. We can't fault his work rate for sure.

TheSweeper

Crazy how the hype has died down so quickly & everyone including United fans have cooled down on him. Gabriel Jesus is now the new flavour of the month.
To be fair it has little to do with Rashford. You can't ask a fairly average winger turned in to a promising striker to play in the wings & expect anything different.

I mean schweinsteiger was a winger turned midfielder - I wouldn't expect him to have teared things up on the wing all those years ago.

There was something scary about Rashford & it would eventually come to the time defenders understand him more & adapt there game to stop him. Then comes the real growth where the striker out thinks the defenders. He is kind of bypassing all of that right now to the point where I worry about his predatory instincts.

surf

Lee Dixon, one of the better commentators, talks of him in glowing terms and seems to think he will develop into a great player. He particularly likes his movement and running off the ball.

Footyislife

Just hasn't been played in his best position. Rashford is a decent striker, an okay RW, and a below average LW. Being played wide has definitely hurt his sharpness in front of the goal. Missed a couple chances he'd have bagged last year.

CG1010

I am also in the camp of play him as a striker camp. He is not particularly suited to be a winger. A bit like Welbeck actually, with the difference that Welbeck was shit in front of the goal too, so wasn't much better playing as a striker.

LouisDanGaal

I know your post isn't an attack post but I'd be astonished if he has a career anywhere near Rooney has had. The more I see of him the less I am convinced of him at the minute, I think he needs a spell out of the starting line up for a while, get used to doing a job as an impact sub regularly.

CG1010

I know your post isn't an attack post but I'd be astonished if he has a career anywhere near Rooney has had. The more I see of him the less I am convinced of him at the minute, I think he needs a spell out of the starting line up for a while, get used to doing a job as an impact sub regularly.
I am impressed by his ability to get past opposition players and his movement. He has potential but a lot to improve upon otherwise.

LouisDanGaal

I am impressed by his ability to get past opposition players and his movement. He has potential but a lot to improve upon otherwise.
Sometimes, I'm getting a bit used to him running it out of play or kicking it against another players legs with minimal pressure currently, his technique is a long way away from Martial's silky dribbling.

Man Utd 2:0 Watford

Sylar

Much better used as a sub imo. I do wish he would be more confident on his left foot. When he came on he was cutting back in soo much. In fact not meant as a slight against him, but I think he would have done that for our first goal whereas Martial used his left foot for the cross (getting down the byline).

BlahRules

He needs to attack the fullback, the amount of times he would stop and pass it back or side way pass is so fustrating.

I hope Jose has seen the difference with Martial and Rashford.

Sylar

He needs to attack the fullback, the amount of times he would stop and pass it back or side way pass is so fustrating.

I hope Jose has seen the difference with Martial and Rashford.
I agree, but I dont fully blame Rashford. Hes clearly not confident on his left foot and thus always comes back to the safety of his right. I would say id like to see him started on the right, but I still think that was his worst game (when he was on the right against Liverpool at Anfield in the Europa League).

DatGuyRich

Ignore this 'exclusive' article about Rashford stalling on a new contract. Pure shite from the Times who haven't been a credible source in many months

tocitus

If you see it's a Matt Hughes article, you know it's going to be negative.

cyberman

He is playing though? He may as well report DDG wants to leave for game time while he's at it

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ignore this 'exclusive' article about Rashford stalling on a new contract. Pure shite from the Times who haven't been a credible source in many months
19 year old academy lad whos been with us since he was 7 years old and already is just about to notch up his 50th appearance for us... stalling over lack of playing time.

These journalists get paid to come up with this stuff?

Tonjo

After last season hype, Rashford has been acting like a big star. He has been lazy, gutless and now wants to force United to play him by stalling on his contract. Sell him and bring in Lukaku.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
After last season hype, Rashford has been acting like a big star. He has been lazy, gutless and now wants to force United to play him by stalling on his contract. Sell him and bring in Lukaku.
feck sakes lad :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.