Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Tiredness is the latest excuse being made for him. He had an easy chance at the beginning of the game. Instead of using his left foot to bury it he decides to casually toe poke it. People really think he is good enough to be a starting striker for the team next season. Sadly, there are positions like CB, RB, DM, CM and RW to be improved before we get to improving strikers. Hopefully Lukaku starts upfront for the remainder of the season because Rashford is far behind in link up play, finishing, decision making and movement. Had enough of the excuses for academy players. The same was done for Welbeck. Actually Lingard has made a career out of it.
People who are fine with him as our main number 9 next season have accepted mediocrity and are fine with another "struggling to finish 4th" season.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I'm more than prepared to stick the boot in after performances like wolves psg and the utter embarrassment thst was last week vs barca. But today he was one of our best players, didn't lose the ball got in behind on occasion. Finishing could be better but there aren't any strikers that ruthlessly dispatch every chance. Our squad had much bigger problems than rashford today. Centre backs not good enough on the ball and easily pressured. Fred regressing giving the ball away too often. Pogba just lost all drive at 2 - 0 and became invisible and ineffective.

I don't know I'd he can improve and be consistent enough to succeed here long term, but it's obvious that some people will criticise rashford, regardless of how he plays.

Despite all of that if he wasn't so fexking terrible in the last game we would have had a much a better crack at this tie. Barca were there for the taking last week.

Irwin99

I think he's a good player that will get better but my biggest worry is that he doesn't seem to fit either as a winger or a striker. He now looks to be the first choice centre forward which is kind of worrying for a team with our ambitions. We need a 25-30 goal striker, especially if Ole doesn't want Lukaku. Not sure if he's anywhere near ready for that.

SouthPredators4

We will need to sell Lukaku, use the funds for either Jovic, Werner or Piatek. Then have Rashford competing while Greenwood as a 3rd choice striker.

Sp00ks11

Welbeck 2.0, he has his moments but is much more often than not wasteful. He has been massively overrated by the english press. Rooney at his age was 10x the player. Hopefully he doesn’t go into next season being our main man up top.

Shejkus

Swap positions on him and Martial he is a waste off central space hasn't got the ability on the ball as an Augero, RVP, or Suarez.

NoPace

Better runs in behind this year, but we really need a couple of attackers who can drop deeper and hold up the ball and link up, and leave him and Martial to more of Mane or Richarlison type roles (at this stage of their career) where pace and shooting ability are basically all we're asking of them.

Martial/Rashford-Striker-------
----------------------------RightWinger

and one of Martial or Rashford is the main bench option when they don't start. 4 guys for 3 spots is the right amount, Rashford can play anywhere across the front 3 and Martial is so bad positionally and so good at dribbling that I'm not sure it matters where he plays, or have any real idea if he's a 9 or an LW (RW seems less likely but I wouldn't rule it out either such is his enigmatic nature).

Sancho seems like an obvious choice at RW, but the right 9 is tougher. A real target on the ground by virtue of their strength, mobility, intelligence and link up play like Firmino, Suarez and Tadic give their teams.

Someone in the 40M range like a Volland (German fans would know better how he's doing week to week, but I liked him before his move) who I think plays this style, or a midfielder with an eye for goal who could almost double their tally by becoming a 9 while providing a ton of other things, like Firmino or Tadic have done. That's tougher to identify, but maybe Fekir, or Van Der Beek at Ajax or Maddison. I always thought Ross Barkley would make a good false 9, but he was always hurt and that ship sailed anyways.

TLDR: We need 2 attackers who can link up like midfielders, I reckon, since Rashford and Martial are so vertical.

Mylock

Rashford maybe in a few years can become the the number 9 we hope, but he's along way off what we need at the moment. Rashford is a very poor finisher. We need someone like Jovic who is a fox in the box. We should we be go all out for jovic if we need to get anywhere next season. The last 2 months should have proven we have no forwards up to the level we need to get to.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We will need to sell Lukaku, use the funds for either Jovic, Werner or Piatek. Then have Rashford competing while Greenwood as a 3rd choice striker.
Sell lukaku? No thanks. He's the only one I think can put a ball in the back of the net 20 times a season.

In Rainbows

Neither of them really make sense to me mate, more unproven players, Jovic is about the same age as Rashford and has had one good season, Sancho just turned 19 and has had one good season. I've been saying this for a while now, the last thing this attack needs is more kids, it needs some proven, in their prime quality to lead the way and I think you'll see Rashford and Martial benefit more from having some experience with them in attack.
You look at age far too much.

So you wouldn't take de Ligt? What players are acceptable to you? We just had Mkhitaryan and he was crap for us. We bought Lukaku and he's pretty much crap for us.

What players would you like? They need to have had better seasons than Jovic and Sancho.

Martial/Rashford ---Jovic/Greenwood/Rashford ---- Sancho/Greenwood

That would be ideal to me. Young guys fight it out so they don't get complacent. Jovic and Sancho help us improve technically and creatively.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep, the academy obssession is infuriating, now it's we shouldn't by another forward because he might get in Greenwood's way, and lets not buy a holding midfielder because Garner needs to be given the chance. This is not how top clubs are run, if they are good enough they will force their way in, that is how it works, Look at Mctominay now getting into the team. People forget we had Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez when Fergie went and spent near £30M on an aging RvP because he knew you don't pass up that type of class just because he might get in Hernandez and Welbeck's way, it's up to them to raise their game, same should go for Rashford and Martial.
I don't think I've seen anyone advocate the inclusion of a youngster over a clear upgrade. The issue on here is simple, players like Ruben Neves who have been underwhelming for Wolves and was absoulte dire in his last game have become must buy signings. When in reality he wouldn't even be much of a upgrade on our current DM Matic from what he's shown at Wolves. I also shared the thoughts of the Wolves faithful in the transfer forum. I would chance it with Gomes or Garner rather than waste £70m on a player that hasn't impressed in the EPL.

Rashford has never been good enough as a striker. He just doesn't have the killer instinct of a #9. Next season people will say he's only 22 and still learning. The season after he's still 23 etc.. Jovic is a killer in front of goal and is a far superior goal getter to Rashford. If we have a chance to sign him we should..

Giggs86

He's the one i'm the least worried about. Class player who gained a lot of experience under his belt from those CL matches.

Devil may care

You look at age far too much.

So you wouldn't take de Ligt? What players are acceptable to you? We just had Mkhitaryan and he was crap for us. We bought Lukaku and he's pretty much crap for us.

What players would you like? They need to have had better seasons than Jovic and Sancho.

Martial/Rashford ---Jovic/Greenwood/Rashford ---- Sancho/Greenwood

That would be ideal to me. Young guys fight it out so they don't get complacent. Jovic and Sancho help us improve technically and creatively.
It's not the age it's the experience, young players are inconsistent, this is just a fact and always will be, the frontline you have there would struggle to get top 4, they'd be of no threat to City and Liverpool.

Look at the top sides in Europe and show me a single one feilding a bunch of youngsters as their frontline, there aren't any as you need a blend, you need a couple of proven, experienced, in their prime forwards to help the younger one out, to let them develop alongside forwards that are ready to carry the load.

You mentioned de Ligt, I'd say he is an exception, Captainining his club at 19, that's rare, but it's also a different position, scoring goals week in and week out at the top level is a different task. On Mkhitaryan and Lukaku, one lacks the mentality and the other was never good enough, the fact we bought them isn't an argument against quality experience, it's just another check in the column of why we need a DOF, so the right experienced players are bought, not ones like Lukaku and Sanchez.

I don't think I've seen anyone advocate the inclusion of a youngster over a clear upgrade. The issue on here is simple, players like Ruben Neves who have been underwhelming for Wolves and was absoulte dire in his last game have become must buy signings. When in reality he wouldn't even be much of a upgrade on our current DM Matic from what he's shown at Wolves. I also shared the thoughts of the Wolves faithful in the transfer forum. I would chance it with Gomes or Garner rather than waste £70m on a player that hasn't impressed in the EPL.

Rashford has never been good enough as a striker. He just doesn't have the killer instinct of a #9. Next season people will say he's only 22 and still learning. The season after he's still 23 etc.. Jovic is a killer in front of goal and is a far superior goal getter to Rashford. If we have a chance to sign him we should..
Man you hate Neves almost as much as you like Milenkovic. :D I wouldn't chance it on either of those over him personally, but he's not a holding midfielder right now, he plays in a double pivot with a back 3 behind him, if he played here it would be more as a #8 with someone else holding IMO. The thing is I think we do see a lot of posters being against signing quality because it might get in the way of a 17 year old who hasn't played a second of senior football, we are already seeing it with people not wanting to buy a holding midfielder because of Garner, it's part of the Academy obssession that the class of '92 bred into people, but people forget to look at the quality we had for them to lean on when they came in, the club is not at the point right now where we can accomodate a bunch of kids that just don't have the experience or nous to take us where we need to go.

Jovic has had one good season, he looks good from the games I've seen however he does come with one of the same issues as Rashford in that he needs a system that doesn't require him to hold the ball up, as that is a weakness in his game, he can run with it but the link play isn't great from what I've seen.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't know why you want to build around him being the main striker? Have you guys looked at his goalscoring? It's 37 goals in the past 147 games. Basically the same numbers as Martial but Martial exclusively plays on the left. That's simply not good enough to be a focus. He cannot be relied on to score clinically. He's better off fighting for the left winger spot with Martial.

SER19

Should be a sub. Not a criticism, very few strokes his age are ready to lead a line. Should be a sub and be happy with that while he develops

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Isn't a CF at Utd level. Should be nowhere near the first choice CF here.

Comparing this guy to Aguero or Kane is obviously laughable - but even comparing him to Lacazette, Vardy, Jiménez, Aubameyang, Firmino and he's still less of a CF currently.

ash_86

If Rashford is our main striker next season then we're in big trouble. Trouble is there are no great strikers out there that are attainable. Only solution i see is get a false 9 and play two forwards left and right of the false 9. Fortunately there are quite a few players who can play false 9 effectively.

meamth

He thought he is so quick, but in reality he is not.

That's the main problem. He needs to sort out this thoughts of beating people with pace, it's not working for him.

He needs to learn when to beat with pace or skill. That is the kind of improvement I want to see from him next season.

parkthebuslads

He's been handled so poorly. From the initial ridiculous build up that has become standard from the media for English players, to the apparent lack of guidance from anyone associated with the club, I can't help but feel sorry for the guy.

In truth, I personally don't see anything that he offers to suggest to me that he belongs with us, but the manner in which he's been allowed to stink up the place week in, week out is tough to watch. From being classed as unstoppable to being indulged as he constantly attempts to do things he has no business considering, he has been allowed to completely regress at a time in his career when he should be being protected and guided.

Fortunately (perhaps) the media are currently more than happy to ignore just how terrible he generally is but sooner or later that will inevitably change.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I genuinely don’t understand why the rest of our quite proficient dead ball players, keep letting him take literally all our free kicks?

It’s achieving almost absolutely nothing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's not the age it's the experience, young players are inconsistent, this is just a fact and always will be, the frontline you have there would struggle to get top 4, they'd be of no threat to City and Liverpool.

Look at the top sides in Europe and show me a single one feilding a bunch of youngsters as their frontline, there aren't any as you need a blend, you need a couple of proven, experienced, in their prime forwards to help the younger one out, to let them develop alongside forwards that are ready to carry the load.

You mentioned de Ligt, I'd say he is an exception, Captainining his club at 19, that's rare, but it's also a different position, scoring goals week in and week out at the top level is a different task. On Mkhitaryan and Lukaku, one lacks the mentality and the other was never good enough, the fact we bought them isn't an argument against quality experience, it's just another check in the column of why we need a DOF, so the right experienced players are bought, not ones like Lukaku and Sanchez.

Man you hate Neves almost as much as you like Milenkovic. :D I wouldn't chance it on either of those over him personally, but he's not a holding midfielder right now, he plays in a double pivot with a back 3 behind him, if he played here it would be more as a #8 with someone else holding IMO. The thing is I think we do see a lot of posters being against signing quality because it might get in the way of a 17 year old who hasn't played a second of senior football, we are already seeing it with people not wanting to buy a holding midfielder because of Garner, it's part of the Academy obssession that the class of '92 bred into people, but people forget to look at the quality we had for them to lean on when they came in, the club is not at the point right now where we can accomodate a bunch of kids that just don't have the experience or nous to take us where we need to go.

Jovic has had one good season, he looks good from the games I've seen however he does come with one of the same issues as Rashford in that he needs a system that doesn't require him to hold the ball up, as that is a weakness in his game, he can run with it but the link play isn't great from what I've seen.
I don't hate him at all. I just can't understand how anyone who's watched Neves dissapoint on many occasions in the EPL would want him at United with our current issues.

But I do agree with signing top notch players, and if the youngsters are good enough they'll break through regardless.

Fracture90

His nonchalant way of taking good scoring chances infuriates me. He's so half-arsed in those moments like he'll have one every goddamn minute! He needs to take them as if his life's depending on them.

Mrdan1709

I love our Danny Welbeck MK2
Honestly i preferred Welbeck. I thought his techincal ability and passing skills were very impressive. If not for injuries he could have been a success here. Genuinely miss the guy!

I have a lot of time for rashford but we won't challenge for top honours with him as a main starter

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I genuinely don’t understand why the rest of our quite proficient dead ball players, keep letting him take literally all our free kicks?

It’s achieving almost absolutely nothing.
Same. His free kicks do my head in.

Stacks

I have a lot of time for rashford but we won't challenge for top honours with him as a main starter
the Rashford as our number 9 thread is ageing like sour milk, once again. I think we all get carried away, especially with young English talent. Hudson Odoi is another one. let him play 20 1st team games for Chelsea in the EPL not Europa.
Still think Marcus is useful and would keep him over the other attackers as he has the hunger and aggression.

the Rashford as our number 9 thread is ageing like sour milk, once again. I think we all get carried away, especially with young English talent. Hudson Odoi is another one. let him play 20 1st team games for Chelsea in the EPL not Europa.
Still think Marcus is useful and would keep him over the other attackers as he has the hunger and aggression.
I agree, we need a consistent goalscorer x

OneLoveMUFC

How good must Rashford's free kicks be in training? They are terrible when it comes to matches and begs the question why he seems to be taking them week in week out.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How good must Rashford's free kicks be in training? They are terrible when it comes to matches and begs the question why he seems to be taking them week in week out.
Defending and attacking set pieces is one of the things that gives you a direct insight into the coaching. We are horrible at both and so its a strong indication that we don't work on it that much.

AndersB

Honestly i preferred Welbeck. I thought his techincal ability and passing skills were very impressive. If not for injuries he could have been a success here. Genuinely miss the guy!
Hm, your white text is missing for some reason

Mylock

If Rashford is our main striker next season then we're in big trouble. Trouble is there are no great strikers out there that are attainable. Only solution i see is get a false 9 and play two forwards left and right of the false 9. Fortunately there are quite a few players who can play false 9 effectively.
Jovic will be the next great striker, if we have any chance in signing him we should. If you watch him play live his movement in the box is unbelievable, he can finish with both feet and is a great header of the ball, the next sure thing in my opinion.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Everyone said when Mourinho came in, he would hinder his progress. I argued the point a young footballer like that should not have the pressure of leading the line for a club of our stature. I was shot down.

When Ibrahimovic signed, everyone said he would stifle Rashford's progress and that he should be the striker. I again argued the point it was too much pressure for young shoulders. I was shot down.
Same thing when Lukaku joined....I was shot down again...

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
How the The Mirror gave him a 7 I'll never understand. Pointless again, People slag Lukakus touch but Rashfords is shocking and he challenges nothing

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He obviously wasn't pointless, he repeatedly got in behind with good runs, his free kicks were poor but he wasn't too bad other than that.
He's had a good season this year, he's definitely progressed.
Hopefully he scores a few goals towards the end of the season.

ash_86

Jovic will be the next great striker, if we have any chance in signing him we should. If you watch him play live his movement in the box is unbelievable, he can finish with both feet and is a great header of the ball, the next sure thing in my opinion.
Yes, but he's courted by likes of Real and Barca. Not sure if we are going to land him with heavy competition.

L1nk

Came in here to mention the freekicks, they are garbage, he tries to strike them like Ronaldo but they end up hitting the wall most of the time, and not even very high up. Why is he on freekicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.