Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsy92

It looked pretty malicious to me, he and McShane had words with each other like a minute before (about Fellaini's elbows I think).

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
That's the thing, we've been absolutely ugly, from week one. The game against Hull epitomises our entire season.

We don't need 11 brilliantly technical footballers to be a great team. Look at Mascherano for Barcelona; hardly the prettiest footballer (football wise) yet integral to their success.
Mascherano is a centreback. Them not being fantastic technically isn't that big of a deal. It's different for players where Fellaini plays

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's the thing, we've been absolutely ugly, from week one. The game against Hull epitomises our entire season.

We don't need 11 brilliantly technical footballers to be a great team. Look at Mascherano for Barcelona; hardly the prettiest footballer (football wise) yet integral to their success.
Mascherano is still a technically sound player, very physical but so much more intelligent than Fellaini with his decisions. He makes fouls when he has to, Fellaini makes them needlessly over and over again. Besides you're taking what I said way to the other extreme, never talked about the team's style and having 11 brilliantly technical players. Fellaini is an ugly player to watch, no matter how good he can be is what I'm saying, nothing more, nothing less.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Mascherano is a centreback. Them not being fantastic technically isn't that big of a deal. It's different for players where Fellaini plays
We beat City, Tottenham and Liverpool with Fellaini playing as a midfielder. He was an absolute nuisance and almost impossible to handle, yet he's clumsy and not good enough for United? This place is incredibly bi-polar.

I can just imagine what the Young thread would like if he plays bad for a few games, next season; or the di Maria thread, if he's able to start on fire.

NK86

You dont compare a #10 to a CB and then claim not all players need to be technically gifted.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
We beat City, Tottenham and Liverpool with Fellaini playing as a midfielder. He was an absolute nuisance and almost impossible to handle, yet he's clumsy and not good enough for United? This place is incredibly bi-polar.

I can just imagine what the Young thread would like if he plays bad for a few games, next season; or the di Maria thread, if he's able to start on fire.
I never even said he wasn't good enough for United? I'm happy with his contribution but I can see why people think he's terrible to watch and wouldn't mind a higher calibre of player in that position.

Anyway I wouldn't say he's impossible to handle as he can be taken out of a game when people stick a big defender on him

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Disgraceful from him, but the comments in the match thread were just pathetic.
Those comments condemning him for a disgraceful challenge?

I'll tell you what's really pathetic in that thread...people who can't see beyond their own fan based prejudices and actually end up defending the cnut.

Di Maria's angel

Mascherano is still a technically sound player, very physical but so much more intelligent than Fellaini with his decisions. He makes fouls when he has to, Fellaini makes them needlessly over and over again. Besides you're taking what I said way to the other extreme, never talked about the team's style and having 11 brilliantly technical players. Fellaini is an ugly player to watch, no matter how good he can be is what I'm saying, nothing more, nothing less.
You certainly didn't post that opinion whilst thinking of replacing Fellaini with Cattermole, Crouch or N'Zonzi, did you?

Fellaini has hardly been fouling game in game out, that's just an exaggerated stereotype.

Like I said in a post above, he's a great player to have and has been one of the most important in our late resurgence in finishing fourth.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Coveniently forgets Liverpool.and City wins

Raw

I'll tell you what's really pathetic in that thread...people who can't see beyond their own fan based prejudices and actually end up defending the cnut.
No, the comments wanting him sold this summer.

kouroux

You certainly didn't post that opinion whilst thinking of replacing Fellaini with Cattermole, Crouch or N'Zonzi, did you?

Fellaini has hardly been fouling game in game out, that's just an exaggerated stereotype.

Like I said in a post above, he's a great player to have and has been one of the most important in our late resurgence in finishing fourth.
Like I also said, his contribution has been good this season, I just hate watching him play. Hopefully we'll replace him with a much better player (doesn't mean I want him sold, just on the bench most of the time).

dsch

It was a stupid challenge, but the overreaction in the match day thread was silly. That's why we have a match day thread, I guess.

Di Maria's angel

You dont compare a #10 to a CB and then claim not all players need to be technically gifted.
Barcelona's recent success has been built upon having players capable of being able to keep the ball, pass the ball and retain the ball, to maximum effect. Mascherano, although not technically bad (but how can a professional footballer playing at the highest level be technically bad?), isn't the best, yet he's maximised his other attributes and been as important as any other Barcelona player.

NK86

A. He is a good option B to have. Nowhere near a "great player to have" category.

B. If we want to start looking beyond a fourth place finish, we need to replace the likes of Fellaini with someone better. I am absolutely sure there are better players, who are gettable, out there in a #10 position who will improve us many fold.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
A. He is a good option B to have. Nowhere near a "great player to have" category.

B. If we want to start looking beyond a fourth place finish, we need to replace the likes of Fellaini with someone better. I am absolutely sure there are better players, who are gettable, out there in a #10 position who will improve us many fold.
This is one of the above mentioned posters

Di Maria's angel

Like I also said, his contribution has been good this season, I just hate watching him play. Hopefully we'll replace him with a much better player (doesn't mean I want him sold, just on the bench most of the time).
If you hate watching him play, then you truly don't understand his impact and what he brings to a team.

I, too, hope we bring in another midfielder, or two, but we'll need Fellaini, again, next season.

He's an under-appreciated player who allows others to play, with some degree of freedom.

NK86

Barcelona's recent success has been built upon having players capable of being able to keep the ball, pass the ball and retain the ball, to maximum effect. Mascherano, although not technically bad (but how can a professional footballer playing at the highest level be technically bad?), isn't the best, yet he's maximised his other attributes and been as important as any other Barcelona player.
Yes and one of the main reasons is he is a very intelligent player who has been able to adapt his game to play a CB role although he has been a midfielder for most of his career.

Second and more importantly, Barca have been this dominant again because of Messi, Suarez and Neymar. And Fellaini plays a rol closer to them than Mascherano.

NK86

I didn't realize that to want a better player for your team to improve means you are not able to forgive a player for not being one of the best young playera out there. By that logic, I should be mad at Herrera as well for not being Fabregas.
But I guess common sense and you don't go hand in hand.

dsch

This seems pretty sensible.

No theres just a load of posters on here who have never forgiven Fellaini.for not being Thiago
Thiago hasn't exactly set the world on fire, tbf. I don't care to speculate about the motivations of other posters, but Fellaini just seems like an easy target of frustration.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Obviously when wanting someone a bit better to watch technically you wouldn't replace Fellaini with any of those 3. Wanting a more technical number 10 doesn't mean you need all 11 players to be fantastic on the ball.

kouroux

If you hate watching him play, then you truly don't understand his impact and what he brings to a team.

I, too, hope we bring in another midfielder, or two, but we'll need Fellaini, again, next season.

He's an under-appreciated player who allows others to play, with some degree of freedom.
You still misunderstand me, I keep saying he's a good player. He's had a good impact and very important one in some big matches this season. I make a clear separation between his contribution and his style of play. I never said he was shit when he clearly wasn't.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I can't say I really disagree too much with @NK86 there Ramshock. I'm not generally one of those agenda posters, and I was actually happy when we signed Fellaini - but I actually thought it was as a DM/CM at the time.

Soon after it was clear that he wasn't suitable for those positions, as neither his agility or passing game could excel in that position. And since then it's also become clear that his best position is "in the hole" almost - & I must admit, I think if you're trying to compete at the very top of the league and champions league, you need better.

That might be slight bias on my part (because of my preconceived notion of a #10's supposes skillset and Fellaini isn't exactly easy on the eye), but I think Fellaini promotes and excels in only a certain kind of way - using the high ball up to him. As we've seen this season, it can be very effective, but as soon as we were figured out and he was man marked, he and the entire team struggled as he doesn't bring a lot else to the table.

But yeah, our struggles coincided with Carrick being out, so there might be more to it then Fellaini, and as I said, his been possibly in our top 5 performers this season, so credit there. I just don't think he should be a plan "A" player. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are tons who disagree.

Di Maria's angel

Yes and one of the main reasons is he is a very intelligent player who has been able to adapt his game to play a CB role although he has been a midfielder for most of his career.

Second and more importantly, Barca have been this dominant again because of Messi, Suarez and Neymar. And Fellaini plays a rol closer to them than Mascherano.
What I'm, essentially, saying is that you don't have to be technically outstanding to play for a top team. Fellaini may not be able to play anything like a Messi, or Neymar or Suarez, but he brings something else to the table, something just as important as any other player in our team.

His physical presence was vital in our wins against our rivals for a top 4 place and will more as important next year when we're challenging for more.

Di Maria's angel

You still misunderstand me, I keep saying he's a good player. He's had a good impact and very important one in some big matches this season. I make a clear separation between his contribution and his style of play. I never said he was shit when he clearly wasn't.
Then what on earth is the problem?

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
It was a stupid tackle that deserves a 3-5 game ban, and I detest the style of play he brings to our team but I obviously see his use and we'll obviously keep him for the coming season.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
That tackle was disgusting, I'm not a Fellaini basher, but it really was sickeningly cynical, I'm unsure how anyone playing for nothing and 20mins away from his holdiay could do something like that, at least Rooney's kick out was a sudden 3 second rush of blood.

MDFC Manager

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.