Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Moron, you have a good season and begin to show Manchester United's supporters what you can do and then you go and do that in the final game of the season? Stupid.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I didn't realize that to want a better player for your team to improve means you are not able to forgive a player for not being one of the best young playera out there. By that logic, I should be mad at Herrera as well for not being Fabregas.
But I guess common sense and you don't go hand in hand.
Fellaini will be here next season because LVG knows something you dont

NK86

What I'm, essentially, saying is that you don't have to be technically outstanding to play for a top team. Fellaini may not be able to play anything like a Messi, or Neymar or Suarez, but he brings something else to the table, something just as important as any other player in our team.

His physical presence was vital in our wins against our rivals for a top 4 place and will more as important next year when we're challenging for more.
Again, I am not saying he has not been decent or needs to be sold to the mines. What I am merely pointing out is that the role he plays for us is that of a #10 more often than not and we if we need to improve our style of play, we need to look beyond Fellaini and his ability to hold up the ball as an option A in that position. He is a very good option to have when we are chasing games and can be used as a battering ram against certain opposition, but his skill set is so limited that I personally feel we are becoming too long ball for my liking when we start with him in that crucial creative role of a true #10.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Fellaini will be here next season because LVG knows something you dont
Just because someone wants a higher quality of players doesn't mean they are asking for Fellaini to be sold. He even said that he thinks he's a good plan b

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He said that he didn't like watching Fellaini play (long balls I would guess)...I mean its not that complicated.
No it doesn't make much sense at all.

He's a good player, has had a good season, contributed well in terms of goals and a top four finish... But I hate watching him play for United.

I ask why? Because "I hate watching him play in general".

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't really care how people play in games like this if there's nothing to play for, but just don't get yourself sent off and miss the start of next season. Incredibly stupid on his part but he'll be nothing more then a squad player next year I'd guess.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Fellaini plays long balls?
Really? This is just silly...surely you must have known how I meant we play long balls to him a lot and go for lots of aimless crossing into the box which can be frustrating to watch when it doesn't work.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No it doesn't make much sense at all.

He's a good player, has had a good season, contributed well in terms of goals and a top four finish... But I hate watching him play for United.

I ask why? Because "I hate watching him play in general"
I didn't just say that did I ? He's a poor player technically speaking/pretty average on the ball.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Again, I am not saying he has not been decent or needs to be sold to the mines. What I am merely pointing out is that the role he plays for us is that of a #10 more often than not and we if we need to improve our style of play, we need to look beyond Fellaini and his ability to hold up the ball as an option A in that position. He is a very good option to have when we are chasing games and can be used as a battering ram against certain opposition, but his skill set is so limited that I personally feel we are becoming too long ball for my liking when we start with him in that crucial creative role of a true #10.
I agree to some extent. Ideally, I'd like a Gundogan, or Vidal, or Pogba. However, I, truly, think Fellaini could be very effective for us, next season, in a similar role. His skill set is not limited; Like I said, it's extremely difficult to be a professional footballer playing for Manchester United with a limited skill set, in this day and age.

Fully Fledged

You are dodging the question - I haven't claimed that all the creativity should come from one side, but rather than currently, the majority of our threatening play is done down the left, with Young and Fellaini both typically involved, and yet these are the two that you and others seem to feel aren't pulling their weight.

At present, for all their aesthetically pleasing linkups, I struggle to think of chances and dangerous moves that they have created - they merely recycle possession around the box and play it backwards or sideways. Sometimes the ball gets to Valencia who swings in a cross from the right, but that is about it.

Regardless of what you want from a midfielder, Fellaini is clearly not in the team to be a playmaker. He is generally neat and tidy in possession, he wins the ball back regularly, can hold the ball up, dominates in the air and is a goal threat, as well as being an asset when attacking and defending set pieces. This is quite plainly his game, and judging by the fact that LVG has continued to pick him in the starting XI, it would seem that the manager values those qualities in that position, otherwise we might have seen Di Maria or Mata in that role.
But they don't cross the ball to no one. They play all this pretty football with no end product and are lauded by the fans who slaughter Young, Fellaini and Valencia for wasting possession.
Personally I would rather have a player trying to make an impact rather than one who just passes it around the edge of the box without looking to create a chance.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
"just simply saying I hate watching Fellaini play football for us or in general".
I also said this before.
You misunderstood me totally, I'm not criticizing his contribution nor his ability. Just the ugly way he plays football, I'm talking about style and individual POV.
You still misunderstand me, I keep saying he's a good player. He's had a good impact and very important one in some big matches this season. I make a clear separation between his contribution and his style of play. I never said he was shit when he clearly wasn't.

izzydiggler

Van Gaal is still using players he inherited and probably doesn't want and has done a good job at using Fellaini, so he contributes in a positive way.

I don't like watching him but he's been decent this season - ultimately I don't think Van Gaal will use him as much next year after getting in more players that he wants, so in a reduced role as a squad player, fair enough.

Idiotic today though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What I'm, essentially, saying is that you don't have to be technically outstanding to play for a top team. Fellaini may not be able to play anything like a Messi, or Neymar or Suarez, but he brings something else to the table, something just as important as any other player in our team.

His physical presence was vital in our wins against our rivals for a top 4 place and will more as important next year when we're challenging for more.
When you take the place of a player who is supposed to bring creativity, you have to be technically outstanding otherwise you take all the team down with you.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
And when he scores winners? Besides he can play with ball at feet too
Ok if you can't contemplate that there could be better midfielders than Fellaini then fair enough. I would much rather have Gundogan or Pogba paired with Herrera as I believe that they are far superior with the ball at their feet.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Ok if you can't contemplate that there could be better midfielders than Fellaini then fair enough. I would much rather have Gundogan or Pogba paired with Herrera as I believe that they are far superior with the ball at their feet.
Who said there wasnt better midfielders? Im saying Fellaini doesnt deserve the scrutiny he gets. How many winners has he gotten for us?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Who said there wasnt better midfielders? Im saying Fellaini doesnt deserve the scrutiny he gets. How many winners has he gotten for us?
He totally deserves the scrutiny he gets, Fellaini has deficiencies in term of technique and particularly agility that we can't afford in attacking midfield.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Look no further than our Captain. One of the worst first touches, if not, the worst for a United player; yet he's still going.
Why do folks constantly feel the need to be sarcy (not aimed at you FWIW) or drag other players through the mud in a Fellaini specific discussion thread ? Can't we stop with the digs (again not you) and discuss his merits in a civil manner from an isolated perspective ? And are we really, seriously going to compare someone of Rooney's caliber with him ? Most of the supporters are well aware of the fact that we a still short of quality in multiple positions, but that underlying factor shouldn't be used as a validation for Fellaini.

The point you made about technically inferior players succeeding at the highest level of the sport in deeply flawed, especially when it comes to players operating in or around the final third. If you still stand by the statement, name the front 6 players from Bayern or Juventus or Madrid or Barcelona who are similar to him in terms of technical quality. It's a shame that there's been a steady regression of expectations in the last 18 months or so. People are losing sight of where we need to be. United has to be at the level of those clubs, that's where we've historically been - we had Scholes and Keane patrolling the center of the pitch and Ole as a supersub - none of them were giants or overly physical, but got the job done in an exciting, positive fashion. That should never be forgotten, but now some are content with Fellaini ? The need for having a physical element in becoming increasingly hyperbolic, it shouldn't override basic footballing technique, awareness and quality; things that dude is well short on.

Anyway, the season is over, we don't have a lot of financial constraints, and can look forward to the transfer window to address the squad, especially the hybrid #10/ #8 position he currently occupies (among others just to be clear). IMO a proper, technically proficient box-to-box will be priority for Van Gaal.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Why do folks constantly feel the need to be sarcy (not aimed at you FWIW) or drag other players through the mud in a Fellaini specific discussion thread ? Can't we stop with the digs (again not you) and discuss his merits in a civil manner from an isolated perspective ? And are we really, seriously going to compare someone of Rooney's caliber with him ? Most of the supporters are well aware of the fact that we a still short of quality in multiple positions, but that underlying factor shouldn't be used as a validation for Fellaini.

The point you made about technically inferior players succeeding at the highest level of the sport in deeply flawed, especially when it comes to players operating in or around the final third. If you still stand by the statement, name the front 6 players from Bayern or Juventus or Madrid or Barcelona who are similar to him in terms of technical quality. It's a shame that there's been a steady regression of expectations in the last 18 months or so. People are losing sight of where we need to be. United has to be at the level of those clubs, that's where we've historically been - we had Scholes and Keane patrolling the center of the pitch and Ole as a supersub - none of them were giants or overly physical, but got the job done in an exciting, positive fashion. That should never be forgotten. The need for having a physical element shouldn't override basic footballing technique and quality, something that dude is well short on.

Anyway, the season is over, we don't have a lot of financial constraints, and can look forward to the transfer window to address the squad, especially the hybrid #10/ #8 position he currently occupies (among others just to be clear). IMO a proper, technically proficient box-to-box will be priority for Van Gaal.
Another great post

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Fellaini adds bite to the side. We looked toothless without him. Clearly he was sent on to add that element today and then went and did a Gerrard.

There are players in the world who could do that job better than he does. But without him we'd be finishing 6th or 7th. Respect to The Lampshade for a good season's work.

NK86

I agree to some extent. Ideally, I'd like a Gundogan, or Vidal, or Pogba. However, I, truly, think Fellaini could be very effective for us, next season, in a similar role. His skill set is not limited; Like I said, it's extremely difficult to be a professional footballer playing for Manchester United with a limited skill set, in this day and age.
Maybe not a limited skillset but we have had some players who are average in a number of positions and have been used as back ups to the real star players many times. I see Fellaini as one of these types. Who will fill in for a better player in some situations but don't want him to be a certain starter for us next season.

Also, the main problem is Fellaini is generally not playing the role which Pogba or Vidal play. He has played mostly in the hole and that is where he has been most useful. I would want a player who can actually contribute more in the role which Fellaini plays. It's all good that he can hold up the ball and is generally a nuisance for the opposition in their penalty box but I would rather a player in that role to be able to play the killer pass and actually contribute more to our play.

WyoManU

He has been better for us than I expected this season, but we need a proper 6 and Fellaini can be a bit player when required.

Status
Not open for further replies.