g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Marouane Fellaini image 27

Marouane Fellaini Belgium flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The Osman quote is amusing from him, considering out of his (Fellaini's) 5 years at Everton he played in midfield rather than no.10 in about... 4 of them IIRC.
Besides which he's actually put in a fair number of decent outings as a no.8, particuarly against Liverpool in the last 3 years, certainly LvG's time he seemed to turn up strong against those scumbags and actually looked a good player.
The problem with him in midfield /8 is more his consistency, or.... lack. there. of. While also beeing selectively lazy, but when motivated, he's shown himself to be a good PL/International midfielder.

I also don't get why his price tag needs to be quoted,
Should we debate Pogba's displays so far on his 90mill tag? because I can assure you, for 90mills worth, compared to 60mill for Suarez, 80mill for Ronaldo, 65mill for Neymar, who're all game winners... His, (Pogbas) current contribution worth for us this season, when put in that bracket of player, would be judged about 1/10.
Rather than assessing his season 6 or 7/10 when taking how much he cost out of the equation.

Also you're moving the bar again, the conversation was over you saying people having low standards, happy with Fellaini, compared to our previous of Keane, Scholes, when the equivilent of those comparissons should fairly be Pogba/Herrera.

The only question here rightfully, is not his price tag nor is he as good as Robbo similar, but is he good enough to be a squad depth midfielder for us, surely? and on yesterdays performance, he is. At least until this summer.
A- His best season came as a no 10 though. Prior to that he was pretty average and certainly not MUQ. Which is quite understandble TBH. Fellaini lacks the discipline, the positioning or/and the pace to play as a DM. He's better utilized as no 10, were his size, chest control and eye to goal can be better exploited while limiting the damage that his lack of positioning/discipline might cause to the minimum.

B- The problem is not his price tag. That money is gone forever. The problem is his salary. He's being paid as a 30m panic buy to play out of position in a role he's squad player at the very best. That money can be better utilized on someone else, like for example, a top quality DM. Regarding Pogba, we spend the money on potential. If he ever becomes a squad player then rest assured then I'll be the first one to want him out, same as I want ppl like Fellaini and Young out. If you read my past posts you'll notice that I was also very critical regarding the Class of 92, Keane etc when they overstayed for the same reason (with the difference that the latter were great servants for the club and were instrumental in us winning CLs and league titles, Fellaini, erm.......he's some thug with funny hair)

C- The only questions we should ask are

1- Does Fellaini justify his salary?
2- If the answer is no is there anyone willing to get him off our hands?

Question 2 is as significant as question 1. Admitting that he's not good enough is pretty pointless (and can be counterproductive at Man United manager/coach level) if no one is willing to get him off our hands. And believe me, with that salary it won't be easy to do so.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Was superb when he came on the other day. My man of the match.

The skill by the touchline. :drool::drool::drool:

For someone who is supposed to be technically limited, that was pretty decent I'd say.

Middlesbrough 1:3 Man Utd

PoTMS

He's been great recently. One of our better players in midweek and again today marked with a goal. Puts Pogba's performances to shame.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's been great recently. One of our better players in midweek and again today marked with a goal. Puts Pogba's performances to shame.
Very true.

No doubt he will be criticised when he makes a mistake. Very little praise for an important goal.

Sterling Archer

Fellaini really has shown himself to be a great professional. Gives it his all and I haven't seen him shrink out of a game so meekly as Pogba has a few times this season.

Credit to Mourinho too...he's really inspired some confidence in the big Afro man

Nipower888

Supports
Man city
He's constantly out of position which is annoying but he scored so go Fellaini Zidane

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Fellaini in

Pogba out

Gets a lot of criticism some deserved, much of it not deserved. Good on him

Roboc7

Good in the first half and took goal well, but poor in the second half and quite lazy at times.

dichinero

I dislike him and want him gone if we are looking to progress but today it is Zinedane Fellaini!!!

ManUtd1999

He is valuable for the team and we saw that again today.

One of our best periods post-Fergie was in the spring of 2015 (wins over City, Tottenham and Liverpool). Young and Fellaini were instrumental in that run. It was great to see them combine again today in what helped escape #6 for the first time in a long time...

Devil may care

Got an important goal but was poor in his actual role of midfielder, they bypassed him on and off the ball way too easily and he hasn't got the mobility or awareness to deal with it.

Sylar

Glad to see him get a goal today. When Young crosses the ball, more often than not it goes back post. Fellaini was smart enough to do this.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

One of our best periods post-Fergie was in the spring of 2015 (wins over City, Tottenham and Liverpool). Young and Fellaini were instrumental in that run. It was great to see them combine again today in what helped escape #6 for the first time in a long time...
One of our best periods as in 4 wins in a row followed by 3 losses in a row? No way. Young was excellent against City and ok against Liverpool but that's about it. They both started in the losses as well.

shield

Midfield is still a work in progress for us so his role is more supportive one at the moment. He just a temporary fix but does what he is asked to do when needed. We will quite obviously buy a midfielder or two in the summer but he will always be present in the squad and will continue to provide valuable contributions whenever called up.

Decent performance today.

Philadelphian

The rising tide in his favor actually pains me. Completely bypassed the entire second half.

MadMike

The rising tide in his favor actually pains me. Completely bypassed the entire second half.
"Rising tide" :rolleyes:

People are giving him pats on the back for a good performance, which it was. Is that a bad thing?

He actually looked more useful than Carrick most game, both attack and defence wise. People are not saying he is the next best thing. They are realistic about his limitations and what he offers. No one is saying he is anything more than squad player. But he is a squad player that has proven to be very very useful this season. Not sure how you can deny him that.

AndyJ1985

If he is valuable to the team it would explain why our team is not only 17 points off 1st but struggling to make 4th.

Philadelphian

If he is valuable to the team it would explain why our team is not only 17 points off 1st but struggling to make 4th.
This. And it's not just him, but he part of a core of players that will always represent the worst football this team has played in a long long time. He's used for long ball tactics in attack mainly, and yet he also is a substitute that comes on to invite pressure onto us regularly if he plays deeper.

Solid performances today by he and Lingard both, each of whom hadn't scored league goals for us in about a years, which says it all.

Last edited:

Kostur

海尔的老板
If water is wet explain why there're no birds on the Moon.

It's amazing to see people annoyed over him actually doing something good. Inexplicable shit.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
But he is a squad player that has proven to be very very useful this season. Not sure how you can deny him that.
He proved to be useful in some games and proved to be absolutely awful in others, costing us points sometimes directly and sometimes indirectly. You can't just highlight his best moments and say that he is useful because of them - his value should be judged on the basis of his seasons with us, in which he more often than not was bad for the team, individually and also negatively influencing our collective play. Despite some great moments.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Played well first half and scored a hugely important goal, wouldn't have wanted to go in at half time 0-0. Second half felt he was poor and the game passed him by.

Still not good enough in my view but a very useful option today.

Roboc7

Midfield is still a work in progress for us so his role is more supportive one at the moment. He just a temporary fix but does what he is asked to do when needed. We will quite obviously buy a midfielder or two in the summer but he will always be present in the squad and will continue to provide valuable contributions whenever called up.

Decent performance today.
The problem with that is he doesn't provide value contributions whenever he is needed, there are handful of games where he does well and is effective, a handful where he is total waste of space and a lot of poor performances in between.

He was good as a target man today but his overall contribution as a midfielder was quite poor, but today was a day where he did enough, most games he won't. The big issue really with fellaini as you say is that he should be 5th or 6th choice not 3rd or 4th, he plays too often in roles he cannot play to a high standard and too many games in general.

Used sparingly and in right games he would be more effective.

RedMaestro

"Rising tide" :rolleyes:

People are giving him pats on the back for a good performance, which it was. Is that a bad thing?

He actually looked more useful than Carrick most game, both attack and defence wise. People are not saying he is the next best thing. They are realistic about his limitations and what he offers. No one is saying he is anything more than squad player. But he is a squad player that has proven to be very very useful this season. Not sure how you can deny him that.
This.

AndyJ1985

It's amazing to see people annoyed over him actually doing something good. Inexplicable shit.
What's more amazing is how people keep getting their knickers in a twist when anyone criticises him.

It's great if he can score a goal every now and then, but that doesn't suddenly make him a great player. I'm not as fickle as some, who will change their opinion of our players on a weekly basis. Fellaini isn't good enough for where we aspire to be. Never has been and never will be.

ManUtd1999

This won't change, unfortunately, and there is enough appreciation of what he does.

From Fellaini's point of view, he should just keep doing what he can when he is called by the manager. In 2 months, the season will be over and then we will decide about his future as well as others'. I hope he stays but will fully understand if he does not.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What's more amazing is how people keep getting their knickers in a twist when anyone criticises him.

It's great if he can score a goal every now and then, but that doesn't suddenly make him a great player. I'm not as fickle as some, who will change their opinion of our players on a weekly basis. Fellaini isn't good enough for where we aspire to be. Never has been and never will be.
I'm not actually up against criticising him, it's that idiotic logic fallacy you've shown in your 'if he's valuable then why are we struggling for top 4 and are 17 points off the 1st' argument. It just doesn't make sense.

If DDG's a world class goalkeeper then why are we just 5th and 17 off 1st?

Just to make myself a bit more clear: quality of our subs like Fellaini does not reflect on why we're in a position we currently are, not to the extent some would like it to do. Under Ferguson we've had plenty of players who could be deemed not good enough and hence they made the squad and it didn't stop us from winning things.

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Is he going to be our Mikel under Jose?

That one player that is forever linked out but Jose always keeps him around. Ideally I'd have backed Schneiderlin for that role but given that he's gone, I'd be ok with Fellaini (on current form) to perform that role for the next 2 years. He's a horrible player to play against and a useful asset in 10-20 games a season that could help rotate any squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.