5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

Why is that reason to give Fellaini shit? He's playing very well, doing what he can and following orders. Fellaini is important because he gives his all, and works his arse off despite his limitations(and he's far better than most give credit for, because of his gangly frame and afro).

If anything, it's a damn harsh refection on all these players who are apparently worlds better than the big Fella, but keep on doing dick all and leave Mourinho to resort to sending on Fellaini as a targetman or whatever, to chase games.
I admire fellaini's efforts, don't get me wrong. His attitude is A class and he has his qualities and I didn't want him to be sold (don't know why).
But the irritating part is when the manager choose to ignore more skillful players for him and lingard and even Ashley young. These guys have their qualities but not at the expense of more talented players like martial. I strongly believe if jose shows the same trust to martial or shaw (when fit) or even periera they all will do much better than lingard or fellaini.

JohnnyKills

The acceptance of mediocrity given our standing as the 'biggest club in the world' is astounding. The acceptance of uninspiring drab football with the option of don't worry big Marouane will come on to save the game sums up our recent history.
It's caused our recent history mate.

AshRK

There is no shame setting up the team to beat Real by counter attacking and launching balls to bypass their vastly superior midfield. That is the point of tactics and that is how you win games. Madrid hate long balls to the front. We don't need to out pass such teams and play to their strengths. That tactic of out-passing can be used and is used when we play less tactically astute and less skilled teams in the league, in which there are plenty.
True that. What bothered me was Jose totally ignoring martial because he was so obsessed with fellaini. Sorry to say fellaini is not a match winner , yes he is a good option to bring on when you are chasing a goal but to totally ignore martial and play lingard or fellaini, well not a fan of that.

Kostur

海尔的老板
True that. What bothered me was Jose's totally ignoring martial because he was so obsessed with fellaini. Sorry to say fellaini is not a match winner , yes he is a good option to bring on when you are chasing a goal but to totally ignore martial and play lingard or fellaini, well not a fan of that.
What has Fellaini got to do with Martial not playing now? He was subbed as second sub, Jose still had a third one and if he wanted Martial on, he would've put him on.

People go great lengths to give him shit for.

AshRK

The acceptance of mediocrity given our standing as the 'biggest club in the world' is astounding. The acceptance of uninspiring drab football with the option of don't worry big Marouane will come on to save the game sums up our recent history.
This is exactly what I have been trying to say. Fellaini is not a bad option but when he becomes the only option and fans buy into that is when the problem starts.

Water Melon

Did well when he came on. Helps you win balls, change tactics. Not a key player, but quite a handy one to have.

AshRK

What has Fellaini got to do with Martial not playing now? He was subbed as second sub, Jose still had a third one and if he wanted Martial on, he would've put him on.

People go great lengths to give him shit for.
That was my point martial should also have come on and that is Jose's fault. His obsession towards fellaini and lingard is the reason more talented players are not playing. Like I said fellaini is a good player to bring on. Did he play well yesterday?Yes but we should stop treating him as a messiah which he is not.

This hoofball thing is ok but tell me how many games have we won by making a comeback adopting this strategy. We have been blindly trusting fellaini to help us win when in reality he is not good enough to help us do that. Trust me we won't be even near winning the league if jose continuously plays fellaini and lingard and ignore martial, mata etc. Not saying martial surely will help us win the league but with a full form martial our chances are more than with lingard or fellaini.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That was my point martial should also have come on and that is Jose's fault. His obsession towards fellaini and lingard is the reason more talented players are not playing. Like I said fellaini is a good player to bring on. Did he play well yesterday?Yes but we should stop treating him as a messiah which he is not.

This hoofball thing is ok but tell me how many games have we won by making a comeback adopting this strategy. We have been blindly trusting fellaini to help us win when in reality he is not good enough to help us do that. Trust me we won't be even near winning the league if jose continuously plays fellaini and lingard and ignore martial, mata etc. Not saying martial surely will help us win the league but with a full form martial our chances are more than with lingard or fellaini.
How about Martial and Mkhitaryan step it up to a level they're capable of when there's absolutely no discussion they should be starters? Given that we've played with 3 at the back yesterday I find it hilarious that people complain about Lingard, you'd rather play Martial as a LWB?

So basically what you're saying is that Fellaini did change the game in a positive way but he shouldn't be playing? Care to elaborate on the logic behind your line of thinking? Also how is it Fellaini's fault that Jose is resorting to whatever it is you think he's resorting to? What should Fellaini do, kill himself? Hand in transfer request? Does it ever occur to you that if we're 'resorting to plan B' our plan A has failed miserably? Like, you know, it did yesterday when our midfield bar Matić got dicked all over?

dichinero

I can't stand the guy but the blame is on the man that picks everytime there is a problem. Fellaini tries best when called upon which is fair play to him.

If Fellaini goes, which I want him to eventually, it will expose the manager's reluctance or incapability to be proactive, fluid and non direct. Fellaini is the easiest and laziest option any manager can turn to, as it requires little technical and tactical nous to implement.

AshRK

How about Martial and Mkhitaryan step it up to a level they're capable of when there's absolutely no discussion they should be starters? Given that we've played with 3 at the back yesterday I find it hilarious that people complain about Lingard, you'd rather play Martial as a LWB?

So basically what you're saying is that Fellaini did change the game in a positive way but he shouldn't be playing? Care to elaborate on the logic behind your line of thinking? Also how is it Fellaini's fault that Jose is resorting to whatever it is you think he's resorting to? What should Fellaini do, kill himself? Hand in transfer request? Does it ever occur to you that if we're 'resorting to plan B' our plan A has failed miserably? Like, you know, it did yesterday when our midfield bar Matić got dicked all over?
I think you chose to not read my post completely but respond in haste. Did I blame fellaini anywhere saying it's his fault he played yesterday? No. I write one whole paragraph blaming jose for it and even then I didn't say fellaini should be sold. When the whole argument started whether to sell fella 2 weeks ago, I was strictly against it.

My whole concern is jose ignoring martial and mata for lingard and fellaini. Sorry if it bothers you , fellaini and lingard are average players who shouldn't be given so much trust in big games and again blaming jose here not the players. I cannot see us winning the league if every game we start hoofing the ball after 60 mins in order to win the game. It has not worked for 3 seasons. How many comebacks have me made, what more proof do we need that solely bringing fellaini won't solve any problem.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I think you chose to not read my post completely but respond in haste. Did I blame fellaini anywhere saying it's his fault he played yesterday? No. I write one whole paragraph blaming jose for it and even then I didn't say fellaini should be sold. When the whole argument started whether to sell fella 2 weeks ago, I was strictly against it.

My whole concern is jose ignoring martial and mata for lingard and fellaini. Sorry if it bothers you , fellaini and lingard are average players who shouldn't be given so much trust in big games and again blaming jose here not the players. I cannot see us winning the league if every game we start hoofing the ball after 60 mins in order to win the game. It has not worked for 3 seasons. How many comebacks have me made, what more proof do we need that solely bringing fellaini won't solve any problem.
To flip the coin, how many comebacks have we made thanks to Martial and Mata's brilliance?

MILLHILLMANC

It's caused our recent history mate.
Absolutely!!! Gaurdiola, whatever his failings, would have got rid within weeks. I do sometimes wonder whether contributors here watch the same game or remember the 90s and early 2000s

AshRK

I can't stand the guy but the blame is on the man that picks everytime there is a problem. Fellaini tries best when called upon which is fair play to him.

If Fellaini goes, which I want him to eventually, it will expose the manager's reluctance or incapability to be proactive, fluid and non direct. Fellaini is the easiest and laziest option any manager can turn to, as it requires little technical and tactical nous to implement.

Very good point. And sad part is some buy into it even us fans. Ohh look how we are dominating team now after he has come on. But even after he comes hoe many clear cut chances we make, not many. So why can't we try with mata also coming on with fellaini there. There should be mix of both for me and not just this brand of football.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Absolutely!!! Gaurdiola, whatever his failings, would have got rid within weeks. I do sometimes wonder whether contributors here watch the same game or remember the 90s and early 2000s
I wonder if the 'contributors' here figured it out yet that we're not in the 90s or early 2000s.

MILLHILLMANC

This is exactly what I have been trying to say. Fellaini is not a bad option but when he becomes the only option and fans buy into that is when the problem starts.
you are absolutely right! Keep the faith. Woodward might get there by 2020

AshRK

To flip the coin, how many comebacks have we made thanks to Martial and Mata's brilliance?
I remember against Boro last season at home we did comeback after jose subbed fellaini and brought on mata and martial. Martial helped us win the FA cup semifinals where he scored the last gasp winner.

Let me flip the question and ask you. Hoe many games consistently have martial and mata got in comparison to fellaini. When has the last time jose shown such trust to martial like he shows to fellaini. Martial has to improve but he can only improve when he plays.

My point is why can't we mix both the approaches of playing hoofball and also playing flair football , both can be done simultaneously when chasing a goal rather than every time hump the ball to fellaini. It has not worked and it will never work.

cyberman

What do you mean only option? Are Mata and Martial not options?
I'd understand this line of thinking if Fellaini came on and done nothing but feck me he changed the game in our favour.

MILLHILLMANC

I wonder if the 'contributors' here figured it out yet that we're not in the 90s or early 2000s.
Don't take it so personally. I'm talking about the football played. Yes maybe we were spoilt scoring lots of goals and attacking teams but the shit served up by a succession of managers since 2013 has been appalling yet hundreds of millions has been wasted trying to strengthen the squad.

I look at all our so called rivals last year and they massively outscored us and entertained. If you want to settle for this drab football which I feel Fellaini embodies then fine but we re all entitled to our opinions.

Stacks

I think last season was where I felt settled for him to remain at United and when he was linked with going Turkey, I wasn't excited about it. I appreciate that people do not like his style, but I am happy to bring on big Dunc and lump it up when in desperate need. Many teams cannot handle that and we did that under Ferguson with some success. I would prefer he doesn't start though.

NoLogo

Well I'm always in two minds about this guy. He isn't a good footballer but he makes the most out of his limited abilities and is a real fighter which is something teams do need at times. His aggressive pressing yesterday was the main reason imo that Real suddenly started to struggle, okay maybe the over paced a bit in the first half but him consistently chasing their defenders and defensive midfielders really crippled their build up which allowed us a chance to get back into the game.

The rest of our team needs to take note. I expect more in that regard from Pogba, Herrera, Mkhi, Lukaku and Lingard. Only Rashford and Fellaini seemed to put in a real shift when it came to pressing and of course when they were on the pitch the game started to shift in our favor but we really need to instill a team mentality that allows us to do this collectively without the need for Fellaini to always lead the charge.

Oh yeah and I will from now on shut up about his technical short comings during the games, because he earned that much respect considering the kind of great attitude he shows on the pitch every game.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I remember against Boro last season at home we did comeback after jose subbed fellaini and brought on mata and martial. Martial helped us win the FA cup semifinals where he scored the last gasp winner.

Let me flip the question and ask you. Hoe many games consistently have martial and mata got in comparison to fellaini. When has the last time jose shown such trust to martial like he shows to fellaini. Martial has to improve but he can only improve when he plays.

My point is why can't we mix both the approaches of playing hoofball and also playing flair football , both can be done simultaneously when chasing a goal rather than every time hump the ball to fellaini. It has not worked and it will never work.
So a one game, one where incidentally Martial started, Mata was brought on for Fellaini (and we switched from 433 to a 4231). Fellaini helped us win EL, scored against Vigo in semis, assisst and MOTM performance in the final.

As for the chances they've all gotten, all played around the same amount of minutes, whereas the sole comparison is pretty irrelevant as they all play in different positions so Fellaini playing or not has no bearing on Martial or Mata playing or not. Mata was also injured for a good couple of games iirc whereas Fellaini has nearly never been injured (red carded, yes) and Martial had personal problems which probably have affected him too.

And you're wrong about the approaches. We are mixing them, no matter what people try to see when he comes on, we are. Yesterday we've played what, 60 minutes with the 'flair football' which resulted in us scoring 0 and Real scoring two. We've been playing it direct to Lukaku when Fellaini still wasn't on the pitch, we've played it on the ground when Fellaini was on the pitch.

AshRK

I won't argue for more as I am no way hating on fellaini or anything. I admire his passion and love his attitude
What do you mean only option? Are Mata and Martial not options?
I'd understand this line of thinking if Fellaini came on and done nothing but feck me he changed the game in our favour.
Did he win us the game? Or has he ever won us the game? Now you will say how can one player win us the game. Now this is where we all have to understand when fellaini comes.on, we play according to his comforts , our team play is built around him. Yes built around freaking Fellaini. So he is bound to shine in that. That's his strength, hold up.the ball and find a player, which he does reasonably well (kudos for that) but like I have been saying in my previous posts, has that resulted to us winning ever. No. We tried doing that for almost whole of the last season. Ohh we need a goal, let us bring mr fella and hump the ball to him, did we make any comebacks or won any game because of him. No we did not.

This is why I said this whole obsession of Fellaini being our best player is a joke because the game is built around him and others don't have significant role any more. He is obviously bound to look good as we are playing according to his strength. Playing to make an average player look strong shouldn't be how we should play, simple as that.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He's a top class player this guy. He literally gives players problems with his frame and his control but some people don't like that. I think those who moan everytime he comes on constantly show themselves up. He'll go on to have played 150 games for the club easily.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This "works hard" is a backhanded compliment. He did not just "work hard" or "show fight" yesterday. He played very well and changed the game. It would probably kill some of your to admit that.

cyberman

I won't argue for more as I am no way hating on fellaini or anything. I admire his passion and love his attitude

Did he win us the game? Or has he ever won us the game? Now you will day how can one player win us the game. Now this is where we all have to understand when fellaini comes.on, we play according to his comforts , our team play is built around him. Yes built around freaking Fellaini. So he is bound to shine in that. That's his strength, hold up.the ball and find a player, which he does reasonably well (kudos for that) but like I have been saying in my previous posts, has that resulted to us winning ever. No. We tried doing that for almost whole of the last season. Ohh we need a goal, let us bring mr fella and hump the ball to him, did we make any comebacks or won any game because of him. No we did not.

This is why I said this whole obsession of Fellaini being our best player is a joke because the game is built around him and others don't have significant role any more. He is obviously bound to look good as we are playing according to his strength. Playing to make an average player look strong shouldn't be how we should play, simple as that.
This is entirely unfair. He did what Bayern / Juve and Atletico couldn't do and help turn the tide of the Madrid machine when they're in full flow.
He was a game changer. Game winner? No but he did give us the best chance to get back into the game

AshRK

So a one game, one where incidentally Martial started, Mata was brought on for Fellaini (and we switched from 433 to a 4231). Fellaini helped us win EL, scored against Vigo in semis, assisst and MOTM performance in the final.

As for the chances they've all gotten, all played around the same amount of minutes, whereas the sole comparison is pretty irrelevant as they all play in different positions so Fellaini playing or not has no bearing on Martial or Mata playing or not. Mata was also injured for a good couple of games iirc whereas Fellaini has nearly never been injured (red carded, yes) and Martial had personal problems which probably have affected him too.

And you're wrong about the approaches. We are mixing them, no matter what people try to see when he comes on, we are. Yesterday we've played what, 60 minutes with the 'flair football' which resulted in us scoring 0 and Real scoring two. We've been playing it direct to Lukaku when Fellaini still wasn't on the pitch, we've played it on the ground when Fellaini was on the pitch.
You can back fellaini , your choice, I have seen Fellaini play enough for us and I don't think he is the one who can help us win matches. I don't agree to build a play around a player like fellaini when you have other players.

Let us just agree to disagree.

SATA

The only other United player who showed up along with Matic and letting Real know they are not playing against a bunch of mugs

I'm endearing to him more and more

Siorac

Herrera was awarded MoTM.

Zoo

More often then not Fellaini shows up when it matters. Has been the same with Belgium where despite all their attacking riches it's mainly just been him and De Bruyne that have performed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Best run Fellaini had was starting 7 league games, Martial same. He started 7 consecutive league games. Mata started 4 league games, was injured and as soon as be was back, he started 3 out of 3 games.

Since you talk about important goals, Fellaini scored goal against Celta at home which ended 1-1 and ManUtd to Europa finals, Fellaini assisted the goal vs Anderlecht in the extra time to win 2-1.
Scored 3rd goal in 3-1 win against Club Brugge in qualifiers when 2-1 was looking dangerous result at home.
Scored winner against West Ham in the quarter finals
Scored first goal in 2-1 win against Everton in FA cup semi finals.
Assisted the equalising goal in 2-1 win in the finals.

Fellaini is limited player but to downplay his performance every single time in tiresome. It's not like Fellaini is undisputed started either, he gets so many mins as a sub. He played less than Martial last season IIRC but for some reason people can't even give proper credit when he plays well.

Hawks2008

Worrying that he had more of an impact than Pogba despite coming on as a sub. Don't like him but can't fault his effort or his showing during the game.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Herrera was awarded MoTM.
Doesn't take away from his point. In fact, Fellaini was quite clearly actually better than Herrera in the final. Even the caf thought he was comfortably better.

Smores

I'm perplexed why the same group of people after every good Fellaini performance come in here to try and make sure Fellaini doesnt get too much praise. It's a bit pathetic and i doubt you'll see them doing the same to the other players underperforming who are the only reason Fellaini gets to play

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
If it wasn't for Fellaini we'd have lost yesterday...

AshRK

Best run Fellaini had was starting 7 league games, Martial same. He started 7 consecutive league games. Mata started 4 league games, was injured and as soon as be was back, he started 3 out of 3 games.

Since you talk about important goals, Fellaini scored goal against Celta at home which ended 1-1 and ManUtd to Europa finals, Fellaini assisted the goal vs Anderlecht in the extra time to win 2-1.
Scored 3rd goal in 3-1 win against Club Brugge in qualifiers when 2-1 was looking dangerous result at home.
Scored winner against West Ham in the quarter finals
Scored first goal in 2-1 win against Everton in FA cup semi finals.
Assisted the equalising goal in 2-1 win in the finals.

Fellaini is limited player but to downplay his performance every single time in tiresome. It's not like Fellaini is undisputed started either, he gets so many mins as a sub. He played less than Martial last season IIRC but for some reason people can't even give proper credit when he plays well.
Clearly you have not read all of my posts and certainly I am not going to repeat myself for the umpteenth time. Just for the clarification I never criticized fellaini for his performance, I was.more critical towards the "fellaini approach" or more fondly calles the hoofball approach.

Mike09

Again comparing fella to pogba, Herrera, martial,matic, lukaku , mkhi is a joke . They all are far better footballers.
Again? I think that was our first time that we discussed.

Not comparing. You think Fellaini is our best player but then he doesn't deserve to play for us. So that means according to your logic the ones who played worse than Fellaini should be off as well. I just can't get the logic why the one who is called as "the best" has to receive an abuse and criticism.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
He's made one good pass, had one weak shot on goal, brained himself hard which was completely unnecessary as well as nasty in his usual manner and I don't know, is it because of his bloody sacrifice that people are getting so impressed?!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Well I'm always in two minds about this guy. He isn't a good footballer but he makes the most out of his limited abilities and is a real fighter which is something teams do need at times. His aggressive pressing yesterday was the main reason imo that Real suddenly started to struggle, okay maybe the over paced a bit in the first half but him consistently chasing their defenders and defensive midfielders really crippled their build up which allowed us a chance to get back into the game.

The rest of our team needs to take note. I expect more in that regard from Pogba, Herrera, Mkhi, Lukaku and Lingard. Only Rashford and Fellaini seemed to put in a real shift when it came to pressing and of course when they were on the pitch the game started to shift in our favor but we really need to instill a team mentality that allows us to do this collectively without the need for Fellaini to always lead the charge.

Oh yeah and I will from now on shut up about his technical short comings during the games, because he earned that much respect considering the kind of great attitude he shows on the pitch every game.
Very few on here seem to understand or more importantly even register his defensive efforts. Everyone keeps repeating the hoofball thing despite the fact that the majority of his touches are when he plays 1 or 2 touch passing on the deck.
From a technical standpoint his pressing is most often text book stuff, he presses when the right triggers happen and he does it correctly. He presses when opposition players are either facing their own goal or about to receive when facing their own goal. He also comes at them from the correct side or angle and slows up on his press at the right time so opposition players dont simply turn on him and nip past. He will be in an attacking position at the back post as one of our furthest forward players and then in the very next sequence had tracked all the way back to our own defensive box to help defend. He is doing these things the way Mourinho likes. You mention Rashford here doing this but also Lingard does it as well. Im am definately no fan of Lingard but I wonder if this is why he gets game time, his pressing is generally done the right way at the right time.
Whats amazing me in these threads is that so many appear only to see when a long ball is played and then that confirms their beliefs but they seem unable to spot any of the other stuff. His impact from the EL final was his defensive shift, he forced the Ajax mid 3 to go wide with his body shape and defensive angles he ran, but predictably everyone went to the hoofball thing even though that wasnt his main source of touches of the ball in that game.
Personally I would prefer Pereira to play instead of Fellaini, Fellaini cant do what I think is important in recent years, the ability for players in midfield to take opposition players on with the ball at their feet, dribbling to cause disarray.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He's made one good pass, had one weak shot on goal, brained himself hard which was completely unnecessary as well as nasty in his usual manner and I don't know, is it because of his bloody sacrifice that people are getting so impressed?!
It was a 50/50 ball and there was no nastyness involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.