Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If it's such an awesome opportunity waiting there to be captured then why with Fellaini's arms on Ramos' back the ball did hit Ramos' head first and Fellaini had head clashed just before that? Also why hasn't he directed the ball anywhere close to goal?
I'm not saying he shouldn't have jumped right there, though he should have done it differently altogether. Less power, sweeping head movement, more in air fight for a better position. Fellaini's thinking was like "I'll go for it foolhardy no matter the obstacles ahead" and the crowd loves it including the aftereffects, don't they?

50/50 means it can go either way. Fellaini couldn't have directed the ball towards goal without fouling Ramos so in my book it's not such case.
:lol: Please tell you were trolling.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Against teams that play intricate in midfield - him/carrick might not be the best options but with Fellaini you can bypass midfield and that is a big plus for us right now. A front trio of Fellaini Zlatan and Lukaku wouldn't be pretty but would be difficult to handle for any defence. He gives us a great option. Some people only ever think of the first 11. They don't think about the strength of the squad and players who offer something different.

the hea

If it's such an awesome opportunity waiting there to be captured then why with Fellaini's arms on Ramos' back the ball did hit Ramos' head first and Fellaini had head clashed just before that? Also why hasn't he directed the ball anywhere close to goal?
I'm not saying he shouldn't have jumped right there, though he should have done it differently altogether. Less power, sweeping head movement, more in air fight for a better position. Fellaini's thinking was like "I'll go for it foolhardy no matter the obstacles ahead" and the crowd loves it including the aftereffects, don't they?

50/50 means it can go either way. Fellaini couldn't have directed the ball towards goal without fouling Ramos so in my book it's not such case.
Please tell me this is a joke.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He fouls in double manner and even with such advantage he fails with his goal so... :rolleyes:
He didn't score when he was contesting 50-50 ball, how embarrassing.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
The ref didnt see this double foul....so....
So... refs are always right? It's funny that you can not only send your own kids on vacation, but also the logical thinking.

FujiVice

Hate the way some people are quick to jump on him. We looked far better when he came on that we did previously. Save your criticism for when he's actually playing shite.

Siorac

I don't understand why people are saying that it's his fault we got outplayed by Madrid when he didn't even start. It was Herrera and Pogba that got outplayed in midfield and because of that we had to go to plan b and put Fellaini on as a target man so we could play long balls over their midfield.
If Herrera and Pogba had been good enough there wouldn't have been a need to put Fellaini on in the first place but they weren't.
They had nothing to put up against the Madrid midfield and those two are the ones that should be blamed, not Fellaini.

He came on as a plan b and executed his role perfectly. Until we get midfielders who can compete with the best consistently we have to accept that we need a player like Fellaini to come on and change the game when nothing else is working. So stop blaming Fellaini when he spends most of the games on the bench and start looking at the players who are actually playing because they are the main reason why we haven't been good enough.
Did anyone say that? Most people seemed to agree that Pogba was shocking and Herrera wasn't much better, if at all.

MILLHILLMANC

Against teams that play intricate in midfield - him/carrick might not be the best options but with Fellaini you can bypass midfield and that is a big plus for us right now. A front trio of Fellaini Zlatan and Lukaku wouldn't be pretty but would be difficult to handle for any defence. He gives us a great option. Some people only ever think of the first 11. They don't think about the strength of the squad and players who offer something different.
Yeah let's all go Wimbledon and Sheff Utd as we ll be hard to play against! Dave Bassett used to say that. Has it really come to this? Ha ha

wc18

He's not an important part of the team. Else he would be a first teamer. He's got he's use as a squad player but only if we play him right (ie no 10) and if we change our game for him. When was the last time we managed to win anything with long ball football?

We should have a look what the current masters in the game are doing and learn from it. When Real were struggling they put in Ronaldo and Assensio in which added quality and flair to the side. They didn't attempt to bypass the midfield by kicking the ball towards the big lump's head. That is how you win CLs.
Again you're just wrong. It's not about using him 100% of the time and banging long balls to him. It's about him being very useful at that and being able to sometimes exploit teams doing that when our primary tactics don't. Just being able to do that justifies his place in the squad but he's also a fine backup to the first choice midfield against certain teams.

If a team is better than us there's nothing wrong with trying to use advantages you have in your team to turn the game (which it did). And we did essentially did what Madrid did in bringing in the pacier and direct Rashford which created a couple clear cut chances.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Again you're just wrong. It's not about using him 100% of the time and banging long balls to him. It's about him being very useful at that and being able to sometimes exploit teams doing that when our primary tactics don't. Just being able to do that justifies his place in the squad but he's also a fine backup to the first choice midfield against certain teams.

If a team is better than us there's nothing wrong with trying to use advantages you have in your team to turn the game (which it did). And we did essentially did what Madrid did in bringing in the pacier and direct Rashford which created a couple clear cut chances.
Erm which is exactly what I said. Fellaini is a decent squad player if we knock the ball at his head (as no 10). However, is that how we're planning to win trophies? Had anyone been able to win the CL using such system?

And we didn't turn the game. We did slightly better because Real had to adapt to a hoof the ball football they aren't used to. There's not many Big Sams in la Liga. There again they could have easily scored more goals. We need to thank DDG for that.

Boycott

You've clearly never played football

Oneunited26

Erm which is exactly what I said. Fellaini is a decent squad player if we knock the ball at his head (as no 10). However, is that how we're planning to win trophies? Had anyone been able to win the CL using such system?

And we didn't turn the game. We did slightly better because Real had to adapt to a hoof the ball football they aren't used to. There's not many Big Sams in la Liga. There again they could have easily scored more goals. We need to thank DDG for that.
Sad thing the direction Mourinho is going, the 10 year anniversary of our double winning PL and CL winning team, our current team is a shadow of that great side. Will we even win a PL under Mourinho? in how we are playing, and how he is setting us up its doubtful. Mourinho is like a gambler these days who walks in with 50 K, and walks out with maybe 49K, or maybe a little more, he will never really go for it. We just don't play to kill, have that mentality we are better. Will we even score more than 1 goal against the big sides these days? Maybe 2

devilish

Sad thing the direction Mourinho is going, the 10 year anniversary of our double winning PL and CL winning team, our current team is a shadow of that great side. Will we even win a PL under Mourinho? in how we are playing, and how he is setting us up its doubtful. Mourinho is like a gambler these days who walks in with 50 K, and walks out with maybe 49K, or maybe a little more, he will never really go for it. We just don't play to kill, have that mentality we are better. Will we even score more than 1 goal against the big sides these days? Maybe 2
I disagree. We need to be realistic on things. SAF left a very weak squad which was further weakened by LVG and Moyes. Mou is making due with what he has and Fellaini is one of those players. However, lets stop kidding ourselves. Fellaini is a consequence of a weak squad rather then a decent squad player.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I find him to be effective as teams don't know how to deal with him. It's like when he comes on, their gameplan is ruffled and they simply don't adjust. It's strange because we have so many talented players but, taking last night as an example, good teams know perfectly how to contain us. We often rely on individual moments of brilliance to make a difference. Like a Rashford or Martial jinking run. Perhaps, we need some new ideas.

Madrid showed so much cohesion and their second goal was an instance of brilliant one-touch play. Our players are definitely good enough but we don't do that type of thing enough.

Oneunited26

I disagree. We need to be realistic on things. SAF left a very weak squad which was further weakened by LVG and Moyes. Mou is making due with what he has and Fellaini is one of those players. However, lets stop kidding ourselves. Fellaini is a consequence of a weak squad rather then a decent squad player.
Well he could have moved fellaini on, but he choose to keep him and he actually likes fellaini in the squad, he could have moved lingard on be he got a new contract. This is the problem, we don't seem to be looking to detox the bad, the passengers that have been the haul mark of our free fall. Yes PPL will say fellaini is a good squad player, but when its a direct result we start using the long ball more than mix it up this is a problem. I very much doubt we will ever see an evolution of the team, more of the same from last season. I think we will win trophy's under Mourinho, where its a CC, FA cup, but not really evolving has a football team

I find him to be effective as teams don't know how to deal with him. It's like when he comes on, their gameplan is ruffled and they simply don't adjust. It's strange because we have so many talented players but, taking last night as an example, teams know perfectly how to contain them. We often rely on individual moments of brilliance to make a difference. Like a Rashford or Martial run. Perhaps, we need some new ideas.

Madrid showed so much cohesion and their second goal was an instance of brilliant one-touch play. We don't really do that type of thing.
When Mourinho seems more obsessed with creating a tall side, but forgetting the technical part of the game, is it a surprise? like I say, don't think Mourinho will ever evolve the side, think what we seeing is what we will get for years to come under Mourinho

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
All this.

You look at the quality of players coming right off the production line at Madrid's Academy and they are sorted for a good ten years. That's if they stand still and do nothing. Utd's recruitment and youth development is simply not producing to the same standard. Fellaini is an awkward type of player and he is not the one who fits the mold of a classic Utd player but the flip side is he gives it 100% does his job to the bosses instructions.

I don't buy into it that every ball is a long ball when Fellaini is involved. He is often mocked for the neat little balls that keep possession when we are under pressure. It is apparently unexpected from such a big man with no skill.
Exactly, yesterday itself Pogba had tried a fair share of Long balls to Lukaku long before Fellaini stepped in. He is gritty and gutsy in his tackles and fights hard to get possession. Some people just turn a blind eye to how much he brings to our team only in terms of determination. Another similar player, Rafael was a fan favorite. Go figure.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
You've clearly never played football
Of course... I meant those as combined elements. With that starting position of Fellaini, he could do nothing more but foul.

mattsville

I think he has was excellent against sampdoria and madrid, he gets invovled, the ball sticks to him, he breaks up opposition plays and he uses the ball well, he looked very fired up and fit in those matches, he was covering the ground quicker than I have seen him before, if he can keep that up he will be a big asset to us, he is not a glamour player but there is a place for him here, he won't start as many games now with Matic in midfield but he will have his uses and it is good to have his abilities in our locker.

Boycott

Of course... I meant those as combined elements. With that starting position of Fellaini, he could do nothing more but foul.
It's a contact sport mate. The ball was there to attack.

wc18

Fellaini is way more useful than just being used knocking long balls to him and to imply that he is limited to that is just wrong. Which is why i said he can cover each of the midfield 3 positions adequately.

It's just so funny when people like you take such an extreme position on playing the long ball occasionally to try to exploit a weakness and gain an advantage at certain parts of a game. Of course we aren't going to implement that as a primary tactic every game and planning to win trophies that way. Don't know why you would suggest we would. I just don't see why people are so against it when it is hard for teams to play against and they aren't used to it. To me that is just smart.

You contradict yourself in second paragraph. We didn't turn the game, but did slightly better because Real had to adapt to us? That is turning a game...slight margins make the difference against top teams. I would have brought on Martial at some point to get fresh pace on both wings with Rashford as well but for some reason Jose didn't. And of course they could have scored more goals...you have to give up space and chances when you are pushing for an equalizer, who cares?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

One would think that Fellaini is far too slow to interrupt the ball circulation between Kroos, Modric, Casemiro and Isco but somehow he managed to do exactly this.

It seems that we will keep doing exactly this against better teams.

devilish

Fellaini is way more useful than just being used knocking long balls to him and to imply that he is limited to that is just wrong. Which is why i said he can cover each of the midfield 3 positions adequately.

It's just so funny when people like you take such an extreme position on playing the long ball occasionally to try to exploit a weakness and gain an advantage at certain parts of a game. Of course we aren't going to implement that as a primary tactic every game and planning to win trophies that way. Don't know why you would suggest we would. I just don't see why people are so against it when it is hard for teams to play against and they aren't used to it. To me that is just smart.

You contradict yourself in second paragraph. We didn't turn the game, but did slightly better because Real had to adapt to us? That is turning a game...slight margins make the difference against top teams. I would have brought on Martial at some point to get fresh pace on both wings with Rashford as well but for some reason Jose didn't. And of course they could have scored more goals...you have to give up space and chances when you are pushing for an equalizer, who cares?
As former Everton team mate Leon Osman said he can't be trusted anywhere near your box. He's far too clumbsy. As box to box he lacks mobility and his passing ability is appalling. His best position is that on no 10, were his big physique can be better used. As no 10 he was able to make Rio-Vidic life difficult in the same way he did Real's life a bit difficult ie top clubs aren't used to a big lump being thrown the ball at his head.

Which is fair enough but does makes you wonder. If having someone like Fellaini (ie big guy whose legs are so useless that they might be surgically removed) is really that effective then why no one really use it? You don't see Fellainis playing for Real, Barcelona or Bayern don't you? Could it be the case that clubs find it more effective to insist on top quality pass to feet football instead?

RedPnutz

Yeah let's all go Wimbledon and Sheff Utd as we ll be hard to play against! Dave Bassett used to say that. Has it really come to this? Ha ha
Yes let's all be idiotic and claim that this hoofball is the only tactic we will ever play under Mourinho for all games against all opponents.

MILLHILLMANC

Yes let's all be idiotic and claim that this hoofball is the only tactic we will ever play under Mourinho for all games against all opponents.
You've totally taken this out of context but you know what hoofball shouldn't ever be a tactic unless we are behind with a few minutes to go. We tend to give it half an hour if things aren't right! By getting rid of Fellaini this tactic will be a non starter. That's not fellainis fault, it's just a consequence of having a player with his so called strengths on the pitch.

Siorac

As former Everton team mate Leon Osman said he can't be trusted anywhere near your box. He's far too clumbsy. As box to box he lacks mobility and his passing ability is appalling. His best position is that on no 10, were his big physique can be better used. As no 10 he was able to make Rio-Vidic life difficult in the same way he did Real's life a bit difficult ie top clubs aren't used to a big lump being thrown the ball at his head.

Which is fair enough but does makes you wonder. If having someone like Fellaini (ie big guy whose legs are so useless that they might be surgically removed) is really that effective then why no one really use it? You don't see Fellainis playing for Real, Barcelona or Bayern don't you? Could it be the case that clubs find it more effective to insist on top quality pass to feet football instead?
Ooooor he's TOTALLY unique in world football and we are extremely fortunate to have him!

I just wish our Plan A was better.

RedPnutz

You've totally taken this out of context but you know what hoofball shouldn't ever be a tactic unless we are behind with a few minutes to go. We tend to give it half an hour if things aren't right! By getting rid of Fellaini this tactic will be a non starter. That's not fellainis fault, it's just a consequence of having a player with his so called strengths on the pitch.
I would say most of the fans that are crying about "hoofball" are the ones taking Mourinho's use of Fellaini out of context. If the main tactic isn't working, why do we have to wait till "few minutes to go" before changing? What's the problem with changing after one hour?

The manager has a choice to keep Fellaini on the bench or sell him and never play hoofball. But it seems pretty obvious that Mourinho wants to keep that as an option.

Hoofball is NOT a consequence of having a player like Fellaini. Playing Fellaini is a consequence of the manager wanting to play hoofball.

MILLHILLMANC

I would say most of the fans that are crying about "hoofball" are the ones taking Mourinho's use of Fellaini out of context. If the main tactic isn't working, why do we have to wait till "few minutes to go" before changing? What's the problem with changing after one hour?

The manager has a choice to keep Fellaini on the bench or sell him and never play hoofball. But it seems pretty obvious that Mourinho wants to keep that as an option.

Hoofball is NOT a consequence of having a player like Fellaini. Playing Fellaini is a consequence of the manager wanting to play hoofball.
Yup I think you are right - can you imagine Zidane, Pep going for this tactic? Jose was the pragmatic choice by Woodward after a number of failures. Personally I care more about the style of football. Just a personal view.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
For years now he's been havin decent and good games with the odd stinker here and there
Too often he's been our worst player and if you look at top teams and their midfield, there is no way he would start games for them

RedPnutz

Yup I think you are right - can you imagine Zidane, Pep going for this tactic? Jose was the pragmatic choice by Woodward after a number of failures. Personally I care more about the style of football. Just a personal view.
It's going to be an evolution. We don't have enough quality to be Football purists. LVG tried that and with our squad quality the fans were bored to death.

Zidane and Pep probably won't but then again this current Real Madrid team probably doesn't need to.

After our 3 subpar Seasons I feel we might be under threat to lose some of our marketing lustre, as such I think pragmatism is necessary for a few years.

MILLHILLMANC

It's going to be an evolution. We don't have enough quality to be Football purists. LVG tried that and with our squad quality the fans were bored to death.

Zidane and Pep probably won't but then again this current Real Madrid team probably doesn't need to.

After our 3 subpar Seasons I feel we might be under threat to lose some of our marketing lustre, as such I think pragmatism is necessary for a few years.
Agree again - rare for me - although I also think that this drab football that Jose is determined to play will cost us fans in the modern era sadly and sponsorship. LVG wasn't a football purist - I can't remember seeing such drab shit since Sexton and Jose has continued this. When he sees Fellaini as a vital cog, I really do despair.

An Irish Red

He's a good tackler and he's tenacious but he's an incredibly limited footballer. The fact that some of our fanbase are enthralled with him just highlights how willing they are to accept mediocrity.

He should have been out the door in this window along with Lingard.

wc18

While his best position might be no 10. you can't just deny he has qualities at 8 or 6. Are they first team worthy on a title challenging team. Probably not but against some teams he can more than do the job there as cover.

When you start saying rubbish about his legs being so useless it just shows your lack of knowledge and on bias on the issue...just silly really. What don't you understand that United find it more effective to play to feet also? We don't implement the Fellaini long ball tactic from minute 1 every game and pound away for 90 minutes do we? To say we use this tactic like that is again wrong. Fellaini is such a unique player that other clubs dont really have anyone similar to him...however its really no difference then Real Madrid throwing Sergio Ramos up top during games when they are chasing due to him being superior in the air and having an eye for goal.

Anyway its pointless to keep responding nonsense like this. Legs are so useless they might be surgically removed?? What the feck are you on about

Robbie Boy

His divisiveness makes for some hilarious reading. He's both ridiculously overrated and a-bit underrated on here. I'm nowhere near his biggest fan - in fact, I wouldn't be at all fussed if we sold him - but under Mourinho, he's been a valuable player to have at times. Still think we can do so much better than him but while he's here and Jose rates him, so be it, I suppose.

devilish

While his best position might be no 10. you can't just deny he has qualities at 8 or 6. Are they first team worthy on a title challenging team. Probably not but against some teams he can more than do the job there as cover.

When you start saying rubbish about his legs being so useless it just shows your lack of knowledge and on bias on the issue...just silly really. What don't you understand that United find it more effective to play to feet also? We don't implement the Fellaini long ball tactic from minute 1 every game and pound away for 90 minutes do we? To say we use this tactic like that is again wrong. Fellaini is such a unique player that other clubs dont really have anyone similar to him...however its really no difference then Real Madrid throwing Sergio Ramos up top during games when they are chasing due to him being superior in the air and having an eye for goal.

Anyway its pointless to keep responding nonsense like this. Legs are so useless they might be surgically removed?? What the feck are you on about
He lacks mobility for a b2b role, the defensive discipline to play as a DM and the superb passing ability to play as a playmaker. His strengths are his attitude, his chest control and his physicality. Put him as no 10 and he become a nuisance. Put him in a deeper role and he'll became far less effective.

And I am pretty sure that there's plenty of players in the Norwegian league/championship who can do what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.