5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Im kinda sad the picture Fellaini tweeted didnt end up on here and become a photoshop thread (unless it did and i Missed it completely).

Devil81

I dunno why but for a long long time, I was happy to see him come on as a sub :lol: Maybe he's finally won me over.
I'm feeling exactly the same, Mourinho has improved his performances and has also given him a purpose in our squad.

Between him and Rojo I don't think I've ever changed my opinion on a player so much.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm feeling exactly the same, Mourinho has improved his performances and has also given him a purpose in my squad.

Between him and Rojo I don't think I've ever changed my opinion on a player so much.
Same really but it was definitely easier with Rojo for me. I admit that I've been way too harsh of Fellaini and biased because of his style of play. That annoyance didn't make me assess his performances fairly.

NoPace

Immediately noticeable when he came on that his teammates frequently bypass him in possession when they're playing the ball short. I remember seeing them do that with Schneiderlin too. I think that's just a thing that happens at every level of football, almost unconsciously.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Immediately noticeable when he came on that his teammates frequently bypass him in possession when they're playing the ball short. I remember seeing them do that with Schneiderlin too. I think that's just a thing that happens at every level of football, almost unconsciously.
I think your imagining things, its called confirmation bias. The majority of his touches of the ball are from 1 or 2 touch situations, he is often used as a wall pass by team mates. Also players do deliberately move to create a channel for passes to go through.

NoPace

I think your imagining things, its called confirmation bias. The majority of his touches of the ball are from 1 or 2 touch situations, he is often used as a wall pass by team mates. Also players do deliberately move to create a channel for passes to go through.
Maybe so with Fellaini, but I was genuinely surprised when I felt that way in the first few Schneiderlin games because I thought he looked better on the ball than Wanyama did at Southampton when they were paired up.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not true at all.

You're seeing what you want to see.

Robbie Boy

I dunno why but for a long long time, I was happy to see him come on as a sub :lol: Maybe he's finally won me over.
Yeah agree with this. I thought he was very good pre-season and he had some impressive performances last season. The thing about players like Lingard and Fellaini is that when the team are struggling and not playing well - basically like we have been for numerous years now - fans will automatically get on their backs which isn't right, but it happens. However, if we get our act together and become a more cohesive, fluid, attacking team - which looked like what was happening yesterday - then Lingard and Fellaini will be good squad players to have and no one will have any issues with them getting game time.

Here's a post of mine about Lingard from last season which is similar for Fellaini really :

Going forward I hope we sort our shit out and become a good cohesive attacking unit again. In that kind of setup, Lingard can play a role as a squad player and onus will be on the more talented players to step up to the plate and nail down starting berths.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah agree with this. I thought he was very good pre-season and he had some impressive performances last season. The thing about players like Lingard and Fellaini is that when the team are struggling and not playing well - basically like we have been for numerous years now - fans will automatically get on their backs which isn't right, but it happens. However, if we get our act together and become a more cohesive, fluid, attacking team - which looked like what was happening yesterday - then Lingard and Fellaini will be good squad players to have and no one will have any issues with them getting game time.

Here's a post of mine about Lingard from last season which is similar for Fellaini really :
Cannot disagree with any of this tbh.

Ashley R1+O

So we're back to just making things up to support a narrative. Nice.

friend

Only time I've been convinced something like that happened deliberately was when Januzaj started that one World Cup match for Belgium. Mirallas and Mertens had absolutely no intention of giving him the ball :lol:

NoPace

So we're back to just making things up to support a narrative. Nice.
I don't think it's so crazy. Think of it as a spectrum. When Mata comes back to midfield to pick up the ball from a defender, he immediately gets the ball, for example. Same for Zlatan. You see it at teams all the time, with the technically best midfielders occasionally just jogging up to a defender to take the ball almost right off their feet. Or Messi for example. Whenever Messi can be passed the ball, wherever he is, he will generally get it. The same isn't true for say, Rakitic, even in the same center-right midfield spots they often alternate taking up.

And on the other end, if Smalling is the only option for one of our players to pass to and the player with the ball isn't under much pressure, they might hold on to it an extra beat.

So, I'm not saying people won't pass to Fellaini, they clearly will, but I do think he gets looked off a bit when he's deep in midfield as the players know nothing much is going to happen if he gets on it. When he's up the pitch, he's a great target aerially of course.

Hed Zitin

Him and Herrera coming on is a nightmare for teams. Imagine you've worked hard all game and then these two, who run their legs off, come on and start chasing every ball.

shield

Excellent. This start with Rashford Mata and sub them to bring on Felli, Martial and Ander is lethal.

el3mel

Killed the game for Swansea once he hit the pitch. They couldn't do anything anymore when he's introduced.

Sylar

Love him as a sub. Hes been used how he should imo. I think he plays better in a 3 man midfield but is great as a sub to give us more control.

JoaquinJoaquin

Cannot understand why anyone would want him gone now. Had much more good games than poor ones in the last 18 months and deserves to be here. Being able to bring him and Herrera off the bench must be hell for an already tiring opposition.

Ace of Spades

I love the fact that we have that option to go direct with him, and also love that he is very useful in defending set pieces. I thought we looked a bit shaky when defending corners, but after Fellaini came on, we looked rock solid.

Their one area of threat was blocked off after that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm hoping people start to realise just why Mourinho really likes him. Such a dam useful squad player.
Or why Moyes, Mourinho, LVG, Wilmmots and Martinez all really liked him. Been saying it for years now he had a disastrous season under Moyes (wasn't the only one!) but ever since has been pretty good. Has seen us through such tough times - glad to see that he will (hopefully) be part of a proper United team now.

His mentality is brilliant. At times it was like every single person wanted him out of the club, was being booed at stadiums and the media ridiculed him. Despite all of that he always gave 100 percent

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
When we had Pogba, Matic, Herrera and Fellaini all on the pitch I jus thought how difficult it would be as an opposing manager to try and get through the middle of the park!

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'd just like to point out that I liked him way before it was cool. Cheers.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He (and Martial) came on today and Swansea just fell apart.
It was as if they just gave up.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Or why Moyes, Mourinho, LVG, Wilmmots and Martinez all really liked him. Been saying it for years now he had a disastrous season under Moyes (wasn't the only one!) but ever since has been pretty good. Has seen us through such tough times - glad to see that he will (hopefully) be part of a proper United team now.

His mentality is brilliant. At times it was like every single person wanted him out of the club, was being booed at stadiums and the media ridiculed him. Despite all of that he always gave 100 percent
With 4 years at the club he is also now becoming one of the senior members of the dressing room too

Marcelinho87

One thing you can never doubt with Fellaini is commitment he gives his all each and every time he is on the pitch.

Kapardin

At the risk of getting brickbats, I think we need to extend his contract by 2 years. He has shown his worth and is also the type of player who probably won't decline much for another 2 years atleast.

But I think he may be off next summer to Turkey if he wants more playing time.

TehRed

This is a role that I like for Fellaini, the late sub, the physical presence to shield the defence from the long ball and disrupt play once we already have control. It's freeing Pogba up even more, and we can already see the results of that. He can have a few starts in the domestic cup competitions and in certain games where we need to play the 4-3-3 full of big, physical guys. Other than that, i'm happy for him to continue as he has been doing so far in these last two games.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
People need to remember that there's a difference between having a team of 11 fellainis and a team with only 1. He can play but we shouldn't look to him to play great quick attacking football. There are other players for that. So he's been a good purchase overall and hopefully Jose continues to use him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.