Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

I doubt that's true.
To be fair it is true, if Fellaini was 5'8'' i doubt he would be playing anywhere, and certainly not at United. His height and physical presence are two of his biggest assets, theres nothing wrong with that.

But without height what would he be a diminutive, technical ball playing midfielder?

I think not.

dichinero

Oh yeah because people never praised players like OShea, Brown, Park and many other limited squad players isn't it. It's like people have very short memories and believe we had only swashbuckling players under SAF.
Oh do behave, these players are levels better than Fellaini. Their contributions to United were not limited to sporadic good moments, they actually had good seasons. They helped the better players play well without altering the fluidity of the team. I know you mean well but don't insult those players

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have no issue with his attempted finish per se, that can happen to the best of them.

His overall lack of technique is a hindrance though. He takes 2 or 3 touches to do things that could be done in one, and it often slows down quick transitions. He is unable to play quick, one touch passing on the break.

No club should have a central/attacking midfielder in their worst 5 technical players. In fact, he is probably worse 3.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's not so much the finish, it's that you expect it. All of his problems are things you expect to happen, not anomalies

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Missed sitter aside. Looking way of the pace at the moment. More so than usual.

PepsiCola

Thought he was crap yesterday. He has games where he's useful (a broken clock is right twice a day), but he is largely mediocre.

Takes the place of a more able player whenever he plays. Was being danced around by Madrid players at time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Oh do behave, these players are levels better than Fellaini. Their contributions to United were not limited to sporadic good moments, they actually had good seasons. They helped the better players play well without altering the fluidity of the team. I know you mean well but don't insult those players
Never said they didn't contribute, they were limited players. Do you disagree with that?

Ninja7Red

This is some different level stuff right here. Caf really gets it spot on most of the times, but some posts on this thread - woof!

We all love to hate him for sure, but apart from that dreadful Everton penalty haven't seen him commit any kamikaze movements too often last season. The OP pic reminded me of another one.

Probably not the most aesthetically pleasing midfielder we've ever had, but does a solid job regardless. He bullies those quick deceptive players in the middle of the park and can be expected to lay out a simple pass for players like Herrera and Pogba to do the damage. Clumsy but he's an effective player when we are looking for someone to get on the end of crosses in the dying moments of a game.

He is our battering ram tbh, whether you like it or not...

Robertd0803

Takes the place of a more able player whenever he plays. Was being danced around by Madrid players at time.
I like Fellaini-(certainly don't despise him as much as some on here) and he can be a useful tool in the right situation and has his moments.

But even though its only a pre-season friendly it shows how far from the level we really need that he is. When you have Pogba/Herrera and now Pereira running around for fun it shows how much more limited we are when he plays. Not remotely dynamic. And that's even before you factor in that Madrid's midfield (in both halves) ran rings around him and completely bypassed him at times. Definitive gap in quality.

Kag

Basic human psychology - some who want to prove others wrong (or themselves right) choose an unpopular point of view and with confirmation bias state that their judgment is the only one that matters. And when he hadn't conceded any penalties, he supposedly had an amazing game.

Same can be said about their opponents, who can't watch any more of Fellaini in United shirt (me included), but their bias is a little less obvious (because when you compare views of non-United fans on the matter, you know where they stand)
This is spot on.

dichinero

Never said they didn't contribute, they were limited players. Do you disagree with that?
Depends on your definition of limited. I still think it is unacceptable that a player like Fellaini that has a decade of PL experience, in the top 6 club like Everton, and playing for one of the biggest clubs in world football will be known for cheating the ball which isn't a skill given his height advantage.
Park gave us more than that and despite the other superstars we had, you could feel his absence. He wasn't a physical specimen b but he gave us what Kante gives Chelsea to an extent. He got involved in some free flowing football. He is a level above Fellaini technically and tactically. Every team would love a Park rather than a Fellaini.

Brown was not spectacular but he made major contributions to our side especially that season where he was probably our most important defender at RB, which isn't his primary position. He was on top form for a whole season, not a few games. And when you consider the calibre of Vidic and Rio, he filled in when required.

O'Shea may have been the weakest of the three but there are only a handful of times in his long career with us that I saw him in the line up and freaked out. Yes, he was a jack of all trades and a master of none, he played many positions well to an acceptable standard. With our Fellaini, he doesn't even know his best position. He keeps saying he's a #6, Moyes thinks a #9.5, LvG #10, Wilmots and José thinks an #8, sadly all of them failed miserably in recent years trusting. Thankfully, José will be smarter.

Every player will have their uses and perform from time to time, even Obertan but at some point it will be required to do more than the basics.

Jaybomb

It wasn't an easy finish. He shouldn't have hit it first time perhaps but he had a good game.

Even the best players feck up chances like that. Its pre season ffs

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
His back pass nearly costed us a goal. There again he's still big and has great chest control

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was excellent when he came on I think, on the whole. Wish he would stop smashing his elbow into people's faces though.

Manny

Grammar Police
Why can't he stop himself from turning every little duel into a foul?

He'll know the foul is coming but he'll persist anyway. He's quite remarkable in that regard. He'll be 30 in November and its staggering that he's still not figured out where the line is.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This is some different level stuff right here. Caf really gets it spot on most of the times, but some posts on this thread - woof!

We all love to hate him for sure, but apart from that dreadful Everton penalty haven't seen him commit any kamikaze movements too often last season. The OP pic reminded me of another one.

Probably not the most aesthetically pleasing midfielder we've ever had, but does a solid job regardless. He bullies those quick deceptive players in the middle of the park and can be expected to lay out a simple pass for players like Herrera and Pogba to do the damage. Clumsy but he's an effective player when we are looking for someone to get on the end of crosses in the dying moments of a game.

Personally I love it.......

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
No other club with aspirations to be the best would even buy this guy and he's about to enter his fifteen
his season with us. Half way to a testimonial.

MUFC OK

Im fairly sure he will start in the big games for us this season, carrick can hardly play 90 mins even once a week these days.. fail to sign a CDM and this is what we will be facing. And no, I dont think mourinho will use pereira or TFM as starters. It worries me, but the sooner we accept he's crucial to Jose's plans the better for our mental well being.

Edit: as things stand, without matic coming in

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We will play terrible football as long as he is in the midfield. Seeing him in comparison to even the Barca and Madrid B teams is just a joke.

In terms of what a central mid is supposed to offer: good control, quick passing, vision, tempo, mobility - I cannot remember a worse player for us in the modern age.

I feel like I'm watching a different player than some posters on here. It's crazy to me how awful he is, defensively and offensively in the centre.

He's only good for us as a strange inside forward role like in the EL final. Everywhere pure liability.

tomaldinho1

As a non Fellaini fan, let me try to convert you...

Every professional footballer has to be decent, no one genuinely thinks Fellaini is utter crap because he obviously has a base level that got him to the top leagues and representing his National team. However, within the world of elite footballers there's clearly a skills gap between Harry Kane and, no offense to him, Sam Voakes.

Most of us are fans rather than experts but it seems so glaringly obvious that Fellaini is more toward the 'Sam Voakes' end of the spectrum and I passionately believe he hinders our football both offensively and defensively. His base level is ok but is 'ok' good enough for you? He has average pace, despite his height he's pretty average in the air, tackling is average, his passing range is average, touch...average, in fact he is in my mind a remarkably average football player all round.

Think of it almost like the Oakland A's method in moneyball - with someone else playing instead of him we'd have that extra percentage of pace in the middle of the park, slightly better passing, ball retention, creativity and fewer cards. What do you lose? Height...

I don't hate the guy, I appreciate he seems to care for the badge and I'm sure he's great in the dressing room. He just isn't good enough.

Bwuk

Would genuinely rather of kept Rooney and played him in midfield than Fellaini.

The mind boggles that this will be his fifth season here.

Walters_19_MuFc

We should buy Charlie Adam and Kevin Nolan too. We'd bully every fecker. I mean football wise we'd be shit, but we'd bully them.
Do you specifically go out your way to quote everything I say? :lol:

Becoming a bit obsessive now.

Anyway....Yet again you've misinterpreted what I said.

Yes, Fellaini got stuck in, and no I wouldn't want a midfield of Fellaini's. Similarly, I wouldn't want a midfield of Pogba's or Herrera's neither.

It's about finding that balance - finding players who compliment each other. We had that balance in the first half against Madrid, with a good mixture of Carrick, Pereira and Fellaini.

I felt Fellani was our best player.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Absolutely depressing that there is a Fellaini 17/18 performance thread. That so many people have settled for this level of player is a sad indictment of where we are at right now. He wouldn't even get in the City EDS team.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Absolutely depressing that there is a Fellaini 17/18 performance thread. That so many people have settled for this level of player is a sad indictment of where we are at right now. He wouldn't even get in the City EDS team.
Says who? you? Dunno, seems Mourinho and the like disagree, thankfully.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Says who? you? Dunno, seems Mourinho and the like disagree, thankfully.
Whatever man! Fergie never always got it right either. Still doesn't stop Fellaini from being shite. Well done you for appreciating mediocrity.

Møllemanden

If only there were an infinite amount of Paul Scholes' available... You need to get over it mate.

Fellaini is not a first choice player at United. He is a utility player, and I must say that i've seen a very good improvement on his part since he joined the club. Also, there's a reason why Mourinho decided to extend his contract.

We've all been pulling our hair at times when he made mistakes, no doubt about it. But he is a United player, and he adds something different to our squad.

We haven't settled! We're working with what we've got.

Reactions: Invictus

MILLHILLMANC

The worse midfielder I have ever seen in 30 years playing for the club. However fits very well into the negative safety at all times philosophies of LVG and Mourinho. Why try and attack teams at home especially with width and flair when you can play a 451 with inverted wingers and Fellaini holding the midfield and a physical striker up front #theunitedway

Jaybomb

We're back to hating Fellaini again I see.

People forgot his Europa League heroics already I see.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.