Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Horrible finish but I was expecting him to miss it altogether :lol:
Hes limited but what limited stuff he does, he does well.

I dont see him as a United player, but heck, hes going into another year with us. I dont think he should be a starter though. I actually thought he did well today (bar the finish). In fact he did well to get the ball out to Martial for our goal too. He breaks up play, is kinda awkward to play against for opposition, and basically gets in the way. Little clumsy though and is limited to short sideways passing to keep possession.

Canagel

I know it's only preseason but this guy is stealing a place in the squad especially in a position which is one of the most important. When you play him upfront or just behind the striker and play those long balls he can be very effective but why is he participating in the build up play, I don't get it. All he does is pass the ball sideways and backwards, you can count on one hand the number of times he plays a foward pass in 90 minutes, I'm not joking. You can even sense some of the players get frustrated with him and I don't see why we can't upgrade in midfield. It has to be the number 1 priority in the transfer window. Only 2 midfielders will do if we want to challenge for major honours this year IMO.

Reactions: Sultan

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm not really sure what's your point now Snow, you're having a bit of a mare, go to sleep.
I'm assuming since you didn't mean his performance that you meant "his miss was bad but he did very well when we scored". For the goal he used his body when the ball was on the ground...

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'm assuming since you didn't mean his performance that you meant "his miss was bad but he did very well when we scored". For the goal he used his body when the ball was on the ground...
And he chested the flying ball first, hence the air part obviously (or not so obviously). A little tongue in cheek if you will.

el3mel

He has done a good job holding the ball in midfield but he has no creativity at all to push the team forward. You need to put certain standards while judging him to convince yourself he has played a good match, the standards of just chesting the ball then passing it to the nearest one. If you're expecting this from him every match you'll see him playing well, more than that and you'll get disappointed.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He was shite 2nd half granted. Comments are as humerous as always.

Bwuk

It was pretty much the bog standard Fellaini performance today.

Kag

What the feck do you want now, for him to pass it to the opposing players?
Hardly. I've said this many times before, to be fair. The expectations for Fellaini are a lot lower than they are for most other players in the team. Fellaini is wrongly praised for being brilliant for the most basic of games, meanwhile the likes of Pogba, Herrera and even Pereira are expected to actively affect games with the ball when in midfield, in part due to heightened expectations in relation to their overall abilities. I don't like that.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hardly. I've said this many times before, to be fair. The expectations for Fellaini are a lot lower than they are for most other players in the team. Fellaini is wrongly praised for being brilliant for the most basic of games, meanwhile the likes of Pogba, Herrera and even Pereira are expected to actively affect games with the ball when in midfield, in part due to heightened expectations in relation to their overall abilities. I don't like that.
Herrera is Caf's darling who does no wrong no matter what anyway, Pogba can hate it or love it but he's got the price tag and immense ability that he has to put into use, he's on another echelon to most midfielders, nevermind Fellaini. Pereira is currently being the new fad around here, I have my fingers crossed for him but people overrate him vastly. Fellaini is Fellaini, everybody knows what he can do and what he cannot do, I can only laugh at people who still expect him to perform things he isn't capable of performing. He's got a certain set of tasks put upon him by Mourinho, and simplistic and unimaginative as they may be, he must be doing them right, ditto under LVG.

It's not just fans who have heightened expectations in relation to players' overall ability or potential, I'm pretty sure same thing applies to Mourinho and I'm not really sure what's strange about it. Are you really expecting same type of performance/output from Lingard and Mkhitaryan? Or if we go the 'back in the days we had X' route, do you really expect Ronaldo-esque performance from Martial? I know I don't.

Kag

Herrera is Caf's darling who does no wrong no matter what anyway, Pogba can hate it or love it but he's got the price tag and immense ability that he has to put into use, he's on another echelon to most midfielders, nevermind Fellaini. Pereira is currently being the new fad around here, I have my fingers crossed for him but people overrate him vastly. Fellaini is Fellaini, everybody knows what he can do and what he cannot do, I can only laugh at people who still expect him to perform things he isn't capable of performing. He's got a certain set of tasks put upon him by Mourinho, and simplistic and unimaginative as they may be, he must be doing them right, ditto under LVG.

It's not just fans who have heightened expectations in relation to players' overall ability or potential, I'm pretty sure same thing applies to Mourinho and I'm not really sure what's strange about it. Are you really expecting same type of performance/output from Lingard and Mkhitaryan? Or if we go the 'back in the days we had X' route, do you really expect Ronaldo-esque performance from Martial? I know I don't.
Generally, I expect Manchester United midfielders to be able to do it all. Fellaini can't do that and that's why he isn't good enough to be here in a starting capacity.

Doing the bare minimum - such as passing it to Pogba and winning a few tangles in midfield - isn't a "brilliant" performance. It's a passable performance in a United side that is still under construction. I appreciate what Fellaini can offer in certain scenarios and he certainly has his uses, but I dislike the way lots of people justify his weaknesses while expecting the world of other players that, on a weekly basis, put in a lot more to benefit the side.

You ask about Lingard and Mkhitaryan and that highlights our differences quite appropriately. Yes, I do expect Lingard to compete with Mkhitaryan. Lingard plays regularly here and his numbers are pathetic - and the latter's weren't a great deal more impressive either. If Lingard is here at the club as a regular in the side, then why on earth shouldn't he be compared to his peers?

dichinero

Probably the most expensive forever squad player. Always having his uses but never good enough to maintain a run.

Red Stone

His pre-assist for Lingard's goal was the most Fellaini pre-assist you'll ever see.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Generally, I expect Manchester United midfielders to be able to do it all. Fellaini can't do that and that's why he isn't good enough to be here in a starting capacity.

Doing the bare minimum - such as passing it to Pogba and winning a few tangles in midfield - isn't a "brilliant" performance. It's a passable performance in a United side that is still under construction. I appreciate what Fellaini can offer in certain scenarios and he certainly has his uses, but I dislike the way lots of people justify his weaknesses while expecting the world of other players that, on a weekly basis, put in a lot more to benefit the side.

You ask about Lingard and Mkhitaryan and that highlights our differences quite appropriately. Yes, I do expect Lingard to compete with Mkhitaryan. Lingard plays regularly here and his numbers are pathetic - and the latter's weren't a great deal more impressive either. If Lingard is here at the club as a regular in the side, then why on earth shouldn't he be compared to his peers?
A world isn't expected from them, you're exaggerating it now, what is expected from them is playing to their level/ability/potential. It's quite obvious that Fellaini's level is nowhere near Herrera's or Pogba's, hence he's played 1400 minutes less than Herrera and over 1700 minutes less than Pogba. Today's contribution to the goal is, as somebody earlier put it, a perfect resume of his, chest the ball down, do a simple pass, he did, it was a forward opening pass to Martial but not type of an opening pass you'd expect from Herrera or Pogba. Still, it was good enough. It's the same type of shit as you do when you're a teacher at school, you've got kids more and less talented, you don't expect the same type of performance from a kid who's less gifted than his peers but it doesn't mean that he cannot do 'brilliantly'. Subsequently, you cannot pretend that it's okay for the more gifted kids to be slacking and underperforming just because Billy thicker than them.

Mkhitaryan was brought here for cash, brought after a fantastic season for BVB so there are expectations from him that he'll be able to perform to a certain level, a level alike to what he's done for BVB. Thus far he's failed to do that, credit where it's due for his EL performances because he's done great job there. Lingard is an academy product, whom I myself dislike too, but with limited ability, another squad player who's played less than both Martial or Mkhitaryan (although the gap in time spent on the pitch isn't as big as in the central midfielders' case). He should be playing probably even less but if somebody is to blame here, it's both Mkhitaryan and Martial who were inept enough last season not to be able to muscle him out from the starting line up. People can talk all they want about Mourinho being a defensive coach wanting your players to defend and blah blah but if Miki and Martial were banging in goals left and right last season, they'd be in the starting line up far more often.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What the hell did he try to do anyway :lol:, the previous match too had him on the receiving of a great cross but with some terrible finishing again :lol:

devips

I think Fellaini was the best MU player on the field yesterday. He should feature regularly in the midfield this season along with Pogba and Herrera.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thought he has a good game, he won possession lot of times nad one time he won possession against Modric and Isco in space of 5-10 seconds.

He knows his limitations and he sticks to basics, lost possession few times too but overall he had good enough game.

AndyJ1985

When I see people praising limited players in our team for being able to do basic things, I'm always reminded of the lowering standards post Ferguson thread.

red4ever 79

Modric made him look absolutely hopeless. That moment in the first half when he knocked the ball past the afro guy and ran round the other side of him was woeful

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Good god a people praising him as one of the best players, get some standards please.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I cant believe this will be his 5th season with the club, what a joke. Shouldn't be anywhere near our squad.

roonster09

Scout
When I see people praising limited players in our team for being able to do basic things, I'm always reminded of the lowering standards post Ferguson thread.
Oh yeah because people never praised players like OShea, Brown, Park and many other limited squad players isn't it. It's like people have very short memories and believe we had only swashbuckling players under SAF.

Dan_F

Oh yeah because people never praised players like OShea, Brown, Park and many other limited squad players isn't it. It's like people have very short memories and believe we had only swashbuckling players under SAF.
I'm sorry but comparing those players to Fellaini is silly. Brown had far more potential and had far better seasons than Fellaini ever will. O Shea was a lot more versatile and like Brown, came through the youth ranks, which buys him a lot more credit. Finally, Park was far more important. Literally the opposite of Fellaini with movement and energy.

I'm not one of those that slates him every game, and will admit he's probably shown more passion for the club than most in the last few years. But that can only take you so far. We were struggling to get the ball out of our half at times, because players were having to avoid passing to him when he had a man close.

Again, he's been useful, but with all the height in our team now he isn't really needed. I'm pretty sure if Schneiderlin played as much for Jose as Fellaini does, then we'd see an improvement.

roonster09

Scout
I'm sorry but comparing those players to Fellaini is silly. Brown had far more potential and had far better seasons than Fellaini ever will. O Shea was a lot more versatile and like Brown, came through the youth ranks, which buys him a lot more credit. Finally, Park was far more important. Literally the opposite of Fellaini with movement and energy.

I'm not one of those that slates him every game, and will admit he's probably shown more passion for the club than most in the last few years. But that can only take you so far. We were struggling to get the ball out of our half at times, because players were having to avoid passing to him when he had a man close.

Again, he's been useful, but with all the height in our team now he isn't really needed. I'm pretty sure if Schneiderlin played as much for Jose as Fellaini does, then we'd see an improvement.
All these players were limited but played in much more stronger team, that's the only difference.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Occupies part of the pitch and passes sideways and back. Hardly ever creates a killer pass. That's the extent of his game and it seems a number of managers are content with his game. What do we know!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Basic human psychology - some who want to prove others wrong (or themselves right) choose an unpopular point of view and with confirmation bias state that their judgment is the only one that matters. And when he hadn't conceded any penalties, he supposedly had an amazing game.

Same can be said about their opponents, who can't watch any more of Fellaini in United shirt (me included), but their bias is a little less obvious (because when you compare views of non-United fans on the matter, you know where they stand)

Oldyella

All these players were limited but played in much more stronger team, that's the only difference.
Park and Brown were limited?!? O'Shea, fair enough, but he came through the ranks and was the ultimate utility player to have on the bench, but Park and Brown were great players.

R'hllor

He can be useful for certain situations and if he used properly ( further away from our back 5/6 ) but he shouldnt be used when we want to play something called football. Sadly he will be used in those situations because you know "if you are old enough,you are good enough" motto.

stevoc

O'Shea, Brown and Park were all better players than Fellaini and much more versatile playing to a high level in several positions. For a start O'Shea was probably better than Fellaini in a midfield 2 and thats saying something.

I'm not even trying to insult Fellaini either, but i don't think he would have got in any of Fergusons squads never mind been an important part of league and champions league winning teams for years and years like the 3 you mentioned.

Fellaini is Fellaini, he's not the worst player in the world but he's nowhere near as good as some on here think he is or try to make others believe he is. He's a player who can only really play one position, and if used in a specific way he can be effective but he's wildly inconsistent and takes 4-5 months every year to get into any sort of decent form.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
With us not buying a midfielder until now and no offers coming in, it looks like we're stuck with him for another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.