5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

We are far enough behind as it is without paying premium wages to a big lump with poor technical ability and limited mobility, we need to improve how we play, not keep players that will make our style even worse.

Rajma

We are far enough behind as it is without paying premium wages to a big lump with poor technical ability and limited mobility, we need to improve how we play, not keep players that will make our style even worse.
Incredible isn't it? He's has his qualities no doubt and we're missing him at the moment but he should be seen as a stop gap and nothing else, since we're are not reaching the heights everyone expects with him as a starter, and paying this much money for someone who's not even a first choice is bonkers. Jose is no doubt behind it and pushing hard for us to cave in to his demands but that would again demonstrate the lack of vision and backbone within our transfer dealings.

wc18

Why do people get so worked up about a player trying to get the maximum amount of money from a club? That is his right and he should be doing everything he can to get the best contract he can. The executives are big boys and will decide whether it is too much for the club to take on. Never understood why fans get so upset with the money being spent its strange

haram

This club's transfer strategy is beyond the joke, Fellaini tied to £150k a week :lol: - yes he can be useful sometimes but if we indeed enter into agreement anywhere close to that amount we'll deserve everything that is to follow. What happens when Jose eventually leaves us and lets be honest Fellaini not every manager's cup of tea, how do we find him a buyer at those rates? Shortermism at its finest if it to happen.
Who says we are offering him a 6 year contract? Could only be 2/3 years. Or two years and an option to extend.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I hope he's off, he's part the reason we've never finish in the top 3.
Absolutely, we could win the Europa League with him, the FA Cup (played big part in those two), we could even finish top 4 with him but the top 3 trophy is well out of our reach with him in the squad.

He's going for what could be the last big contract for him on the back on a pretty good last season. I'm pretty sure we won't inflate our wages structure even further for players like him. He stays, it's all good, he goes, I'm fine because we'll definitely bring some midfielder in if so, so whatever happens, we'll be fine.

Rajma

Who says we are offering him a 6 year contract? Could only be 2/3 years. Or two years and an option to extend.
I still can't it see as a reasonable enough argument to vindicate paying such high wages for someone who's clearly very limited, what sort of signal it sends to the market? Later we get Jose complaining that everyone out there is trying to milk us in the transfer market, well when you set similar precedents - expect obvious implications.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Holding out for 170k\week? He must be taking the piss. He should count himself lucky to wear a shirt far above his station.

haram

I still can't it see as a reasonable enough argument to vindicate paying such high wages for someone who's clearly very limited, what sort of signal it sends to the market? Later we get Jose complaining that everyone out there is trying to milk us in the transfer market, well when you set similar precedents - expect obvious implications.
Fellaini is a unique player and useful to us in the short term at the very least. This squad needs building and replacing him will cost money as well. He has done well under Jose. Herrera done well under Jose last year as well but is out of favour now. That is just the nature of squads and squad building.

Rajma

Holding out for 170k\week? He must be taking the piss. He should count himself lucky to wear a shirt far above his station.
I'm not blaming him here by the way - he realises we're run by a bunch of amateurs and trying to take advantage of us, what is more concerning that we actually considering this.

Rajma

Fellaini is a unique player and useful to us in the short term at the very least. This squad needs building and replacing him will cost money as well. He has done well under Jose. Herrera done well under Jose last year as well but is out of favour now. That is just the nature of squads and squad building.
You completely ignored my points but whatever. You just re-iterated my argument around what is wrong with our transfer strategy at the moment, serious lack of long-term oversight and planning.

Marcelinho87

Right so lets say in his head he feels he is worth around £130k in the current climate and we are offering him £90k... His agent comes to the table and demands £170k knowing full well it will be brought down.... But he is brought down eventually to the level he feels he is worth.

It is a negotiating tactic, and he deserves to try and get the best contract he can considering it will be his last big one.

I don't get how you can begrudge him trying to get more.

haram

You completely ignored my points but whatever. You just re-iterated my argument around what is wrong with our transfer strategy at the moment, serious lack of long-term oversight and planning.
We have to think both long term and short term. Does Jose think some of the players like Darmian and Blind are long term solutions? No. But since we have to build the squad to challenge for the title we need to make use of what we have. Letting Fellaini go would be a mistake at this point.

Rajma

We have to think both long term and short term. Does Jose think some of the players like Darmian and Blind are long term solutions? No. But since we have to build the squad to challenge for the title we need to make use of what we have. Letting Fellaini go would be a mistake at this point.
At quoted salary range it clearly would be a very wise decision in letting him go, but lets agree to disagree.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why do people get so worked up about a player trying to get the maximum amount of money from a club? That is his right and he should be doing everything he can to get the best contract he can. The executives are big boys and will decide whether it is too much for the club to take on. Never understood why fans get so upset with the money being spent its strange
Because all but the championship manager/armchair fan supremes, recognise that there's a finite amount of money there, and we don't want to be wasting it!
"It's not your money why do you care", is one of the most reckless attitudes on here. Usually followed up by the same people moaning at the cost of tickets or sky tv

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep. Anyone comfortably with such a wage is completely out of touch with reality.
Probably the same types whinging that they pay £20 a month for Sky, or £40 a ticket as being too much.

Doracle

Nothing wrong with Fellaini trying to maximise his earnings. However, the fact we are willing to pay such a limited quality of player £150k a week is itself depressing. If we end up paying more that that we have real issues.

We should have been getting rid last Summer and getting £10 million or so from a mid-table club to then put towards buying a proper midfielder, with a view to moving away from the hideous football we play. As it is, it will be a disaster if he now stays even longer, not because of his own efforts but because of what Mourinho’s desperation to keep him says about our ongoing football philosophy.

wc18

Because all but the championship manager/armchair fan supremes, recognise that there's a finite amount of money there, and we don't want to be wasting it!
"It's not your money why do you care", is one of the most reckless attitudes on here. Usually followed up by the same people moaning at the cost of tickets or sky tv
Which is exactly my point if you bothered to actually logically think about it instead of coming up with strange, incorrect analogies about ticket prices or the cost of tv. Everyone knows that United don't give big deals to players Fellaini's age. It would be a max 2 year deal i'd say. There's no possible way the cost of bringing back Fellaini, even at hire wages, would impede United in getting another player in his same position or otherwise. Thats not how things work. You act like Fellaini is going to be given massive money and its going to prevent us from getting a huge target we would have gotten if he'd have been moved on. If he stays other players will be moved on to free up money for signings. It's so laughable that people like you get so worked up over new deals like this and believe it means impending doom on our transfer budget

soapythecat

We’ve missed him since his injury. Not our most gifted midfielder but defiantly has offered something this season.
I’d rather he remain at the club then Herrera.
As for £170k a week! He won’t get that anywhere else, even on a free transfer. He’ll take an offer soon.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Nothing wrong with Fellaini trying to maximise his earnings. However, the fact we are willing to pay such a limited quality of player £150k a week is itself depressing. If we end up paying more that that we have real issues.

We should have been getting rid last Summer and getting £10 million or so from a mid-table club to then put towards buying a proper midfielder, with a view to moving away from the hideous football we play. As it is, it will be a disaster if he now stays even longer, not because of his own efforts but because of what Mourinho’s desperation to keep him says about our ongoing football philosophy.
No other top team would have Fellaini anywhere near them. It’s a damning indictment of United that Fellaini continues to take a good wage. He’s garbage and is an emblem of the shit on a stick football we play.

Instead of beating the press by hoofing over it, why don’t we start to buy players and train them to play through it?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Which is exactly my point if you bothered to actually logically think about it instead of coming up with strange, incorrect analogies about ticket prices or the cost of tv. Everyone knows that United don't give big deals to players Fellaini's age. It would be a max 2 year deal i'd say. There's no possible way the cost of bringing back Fellaini, even at hire wages, would impede United in getting another player in his same position or otherwise. Thats not how things work. You act like Fellaini is going to be given massive money and its going to prevent us from getting a huge target we would have gotten if he'd have been moved on. If he stays other players will be moved on to free up money for signings. It's so laughable that people like you get so worked up over new deals like this and believe it means impending doom on our transfer budget
It's quite simple. There's a limited amount of money available. Why tie up an even sillier wage in someone we all know deep down that we need to upgrade to move forward.
It's rewarding below par players that has got us where we are.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Some football fans think professional players are actually "fans". Just because they'll kiss a badge or say they're in the best club in the world doesn't mean this isn't a job for them. People need to grow up and realize they are pros that will look for the best damn deal they can get.

wc18

It's quite simple. There's a limited amount of money available. Why tie up an even sillier wage in someone we all know deep down that we need to upgrade to move forward.
It's rewarding below par players that has got us where we are.
Its really is simple which is why its strange you can't grasp the concept. Your views on Fellaini as a player are prohibiting you from being rational on this subject. If we keep Fellaini and give him bigger wages for 2 years maximum then other players will be sacrificed to balance the wage bill of incoming players. The likes of Darmian, Blind, Mkhitaryan, Ibra, Carrick, etc wages will be off.

Your argument is simply wrong as well. Given all these "below par" players you say we are rewarding and have on the books I'd ask you what transfer targets have we missed out on due to their wages? I'd love to hear your answer on this. Jose got every player he has wanted and if he didn't it had nothing to due with fellaini's or anyone else's wages. It came down to the target's team or the target itself exorbitant demands. The point being if United and Jose feel Fellaini is worth the money in giving him a new contract it won't effect the transfer budget Jose has in the slightest.

wc18

Some football fans think professional players are actually "fans". Just because they'll kiss a badge or say they're in the best club in the world doesn't mean this isn't a job for them. People need to grow up and realize they are pros that will look for the best damn deal they can get.
Exactly, its a quite strange position to take. Almost equally strange is to think that if United decides to hand Fellaini a new contract for 1 or 2 years it will completely blow up United's transfer budget and sabotage next summers spending. I don't get it

manutddjw

This isn't just about Fellaini, I for the life of me can't figure out how this club negotiates wages with players. I have no issue paying a world class player like De Gea whatever it takes to keep him here. But when genuinely average players take home more than world class players at other clubs you have to question what we're doing.

First of all no other club will pay Fellaini anywhere close to what we're paying him now especially now that Chinese clubs are done paying heavily for players due to the new regulations. The other thing is we're Manchester United. A good portion of our players if they wanted to leave here would end up at a far lesser club, making no where near the wages they are currently getting. It's time to play hardball with these people.

AndyJ1985

Tell him to take a hike. We shouldn't be paying mediocre clowns like him £170k a week. De Bryune is going to be on little more than that at City ffs.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Get rid. Should never have been at our club in the first place.

C'est Moi Cantona

Couldn't we get Pereira back to fill a midfield place, and get some sort of fee for Fellaini in January?

Useful as he seems sometimes, he's the sort of player we really shouldn't need.

Toad

I think we really miss him at the moment. A midfield of Matic, Pogba and Fellaini is a really balanced midfield and like it or not they would play really really well together.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I really don't understand why United are trying to hang on to players like this. The only reason I can think of is that they're trying to ride out the over-inflated transfer fees storm that is brewing. That's the point that Jose was trying to make. Whenever we go in for a player, clubs will just be quoting silly figures. To replace the significant amount of mediocrity we have in our squad is going to cost a fortune.

Still doesn't justify keeping Fellaini though. Time for him to go.

Glanville95

He’s had his moments at the club, but ultimately he is simply lacking in quality in the medium-term. That much is apparent.

If his wage demands are too high, cite him loose. We can’t be dictated too by mediocrity. Who does he think he is.

buckooo1978

I'd take 5-10 million for him

surely a player of his ability shouldn't be part of our medium term future

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
170k a week? Useful player and I'd rather him play well ahead of Herrera, but that's a ridiculous demand.
It may be hard to swallow but he's in a position to do so from a financial point of view. If we have to replace him then we are looking at tens of millions to sign a new player plus their wage demands which would be equal if not more. An extra (let's say) 80k a week is just over 4m a year so in the short to medium term its a massive difference in cost to give him a pay rise vs signing a new player.

DdeGoat

It is beyond a joke that we have offered a player like him an extension. He is a glaring symbol of our downfall since Sir Alex's departure. A mediocre team that needs to resort to hoof ball on a regular basis because it is incapable of beating the press or sucks at creating chances. Just a sad and damning indictment on our managers.

Also, shows how bad we are at squad management that he was allowed to go into the last year of his contract. Arsenal level of ridiculousness. Can't blame him for trying to get the last penny out of us.

ash_86

Well he can try all he wants. Never going to get 170k in wages anywhere else. I have no problems with him staying or letting him go.

Antonedwin

170k for 30 years old limited squad player is disgraceful, we are dumb if we gave him in

Status
Not open for further replies.