View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth noting we are in fact winning this game 3-1, having completely dominated possession, only conceded from a lazy intercepted pass and with Mount himself having got the sort of chance he will bury 9 times out of 10 thanks to being in that advanced position.

In terms of arguing our midfield shape is too dysfunctional to work, this isn't really the game.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Amrabat as a 'regular' no 8 will replace him in the starting lineup. It is obvious. Mount will be the backup of Bruno, for 55m.
nah no chance, no way have we bought him to be a backup to Bruno, just his number alone should tell you otherwise!

M Bison

Supports
York City
Can someone start a standalone thread for him so we can look back and laugh at it and those posters?

I’m thinking similar to the sell Rashford, or burst his bubble thread assuming the posters that commented in those threads aren’t too ashamed of their previous contributions.

Love the Lingard comparisons, early fave :drool:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I like what I've seen today (my first preseason game). Kept it simple but what I've liked is how the midfield has choked Lens high up the pitch.

Holocene

Amrabat as a 'regular' no 8 will replace him in the starting lineup. It is obvious. Mount will be the backup of Bruno, for 55m.
We wouldn't have given the 7 shirt to a backup player. That's what is obvious.

Abraxas

Can tell this is going to be a discussion point this season...

Drainy

I like what I've seen today (my first preseason game). Kept it simple but what I've liked is how the midfield has choked Lens high up the pitch.
Think giving him the 7 hasn't helped. Usually it's associated with a player with imagination and creativity.

Mount is about efficiency with the ball and active support in all phases of play. He's got some quality as well but not flashy .

RuudTom83

I'd say Casemiro just needs to tone his attacking play and sit a little deeper...Bruno and Mount have unlimited energy so we should use that and let Casemiro save his energy.

As for today Mount had a good game...nothing to complain about whatsoever.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Mount in this role has very limited impact on our game. When he gets on the ball he's good, he just doesn't get involved nearly enough.

It's clear Casemiro needs help in midfield, Mount isn't providing that. Serious doubts about this transfer. He's a good player, just not sure how he improves this team compared to for example Casemiro - Fred - Bruno midfield.

Leethal

Wasn’t overtly ecstatic with this signing off the bat.

Don’t nothing so far to change my outlook.

Hopefully he changes my mind with some performances.

Adisa

Think giving him the 7 hasn't helped. Usually it's associated with a player with imagination and creativity.

Mount is about efficiency with the ball and active support in all phases of play. He's got some quality as well but not flashy .
If people want to judge a player based on the number on his back, that's up to them. If they think Mount is a maverick that will elevate the team to new heights based on individual talent, that assumption is wrong.
Eric bought Mount as a cog in a midfield with a specific way of functioning. On today's evidence, it can certainly work because as a unit, today the midfield was great.
They did a great job of suffocating Lens and counter-pressing. So many times we won the ball back in the third quarter of the pitch.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Solid performance. Needs time to integrate into the new set up. Will be a real weapon and asset moving forwards.

Tony247

This was his usual performance as how he used to be playing for Chelsea.

AndyMUFC

He does seem to go missing a bit in games, thought that a bit about him before even though I think he’s a good player when he does get involved. Think he’ll be important in winning the ball back high.

AndySmith1990

I really like him and I believe he'll go a long way to finally giving us that fully functional midfield unit. Something we've not had for over a decade.

Shark

@NotShark
Was decent today. Still think this guy isn't enough though, we need one more solid midfielder.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Mount in this role has very limited impact on our game. When he gets on the ball he's good, he just doesn't get involved nearly enough.

It's clear Casemiro needs help in midfield, Mount isn't providing that. Serious doubts about this transfer. He's a good player, just not sure how he improves this team compared to for example Casemiro - Fred - Bruno midfield.
He's a lot more reliable and flexible than Fred. When we want to close out the game and shore up midfield, last year we would move Bruno out wide, now we can move Mount out there. And you can rely on him to play at a similar level week after week, unlike Fred. Fred allowed us to play a more aggressive game out of possession and an aggressive tactical shape, but he also brought obvious individual deficiencies. He was unreliable game to game and he was only really comfortable in advanced positions off the ball, not on it.

TheGodsInRed

He isn't playing deeper like Eriksen does that's for sure. I think we need a decent full back that can step into midfield to support Cas, for this system to work and I'm not sure Dalot is it currently.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
In the first half he had good chances/positions he just didn't score and stopped doing it in the 2nd half.
Could be an instruction from Ten Hag.

zenith

Amrabat will give us more in game options when we are being outnumberd in midfield

zaafi

I seriously don't understand posters who say they don't see what he brings. He had a really bad miss, but grew into the game with his energy, pressing, quick passing and movement. He'd probably get an assist to Garnacho too, if it wasn't for Rashford being in the way. Efficient performance and keeps us playing at a higher speed and intensity than Eriksen.

Adisa

He isn't playing deeper like Eriksen does that's for sure. I think we need a decent full back that can step into midfield to support Cas, for this system to work and I'm not sure Dalot is it currently.
The hope is Dalot rediscovers form. He did it excellently before the WC. Mount was never going to play deeper like Eriksen. ETH wants two advanced 8s.

Alemar

How did he manage to miss that ball is a mystery. Garnacho could’ve been with 2 assists

AaronRedDevil

You can take a player out of Chelsea but can’t take the Chelsea out of the player.

zaafi

How did he manage to miss that ball is a mystery. Garnacho could’ve been with 2 assists
Not really. The ball was slightly behind his left leg so he had to adjust it in an awkward way. He should have taken another touch to get in control before shooting.

Trex

The hope is Dalot rediscovers form. He did it excellently before the WC. Mount was never going to play deeper like Eriksen. ETH wants two advanced 8s.
It was Martinez moving into midfield from what I saw today. Dalot played like a traditional fullback. It's a bit fluid between the back four and Casemiro.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I seriously don't understand posters who say they don't see what he brings. He had a really bad miss, but grew into the game with his energy, pressing, quick passing and movement. He'd probably get an assist to Garnacho too, if it wasn't for Rashford being in the way. Efficient performance and keeps us playing at a higher speed and intensity than Eriksen.
Not really. The ball was slightly behind his left leg so he had to adjust it in an awkward way. He should have taken another touch to get in control before shooting.
Mr Mount, it’s an honour to have you on Redcafe, and your son is a credit to you.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor miss but I thought he played decently well, especially since it’s early days.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m not really fussed about the miss. It happens.

More concerned with what he offers on the ball at the moment. Is his defensive ability worth what we lose in other areas? He’ll show more in time and hopefully I understand it more.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's a lot more reliable and flexible than Fred. When we want to close out the game and shore up midfield, last year we would move Bruno out wide, now we can move Mount out there. And you can rely on him to play at a similar level week after week, unlike Fred. Fred allowed us to play a more aggressive game out of possession and an aggressive tactical shape, but he also brought obvious individual deficiencies. He was unreliable game to game and he was only really comfortable in advanced positions off the ball, not on it.
I agree about the bolded bit, but the way we deploy him in attacking position (almost like a second striker) means Bruno is pushed deeper to midfield. I struggle to see benefit of that approach. Fred actually played around Casemiro and provided good cover for Bruno to be more attacking, what brings the best in him.

Again, it's not about Mount and how good he is, it's about how he actually fits in that team. Imo he does not.
Every DM needs help but today is not evidence of that.
It very much was an evidence of that. Casemiro was caught multiple times in midfield with no passing options, often chasing players on his own (in his case fighting a lost battle). He has way too much to do if we're playing with two advanced 8s.