g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Mason Mount image 7

Mason Mount England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

JediSith

I'd rather be an optimist and be wrong than be a pessimist and be right.
Life is a lot better with a positive attitude.
Don’t think you’re an optimist. Think you’re just being a realist and making an educated opinion.

Based on what we’ve seen at Chelsea he is a quality player and what we are starting to see at United he is starting to improve and settle in. So could end up being a key player.

JediSith

I used to think the same but ETH maybe want to shift Bruno out of that midfield role and give it to Mason in long term. I feel Casemiro Mount and Amrabat ( Hannibal or Mainoo) would be much more stable midfield 3. Bruno might get shifted to right side.
I was thinking Mount was Bruno’s replacement. But then he made Bruno captain.

Oranges038

I'd rather be an optimist and be wrong than be a pessimist and be right.
Life is a lot better with a positive attitude.
Maybe you've never seen Hard to Kill. But you can quote from the annals of Elon or did he steal that from somewhere else?

I like Mount, I think he'll be a good player, he's technically solid and works hard. Has good movement and 1 touch interplay around the box. He's still growing into his role here.

When I see people slag him off with the "1 assist in 5 games" bs. I just can't understand it, they're his first 5 games for the club, give the lad a bit of time to settle in.

tomaldinho1

Maybe you've never seen Hard to Kill. But you can quote from the annals of Elon or did he steal that from somewhere else?

I like Mount, I think he'll be a good player, he's technically solid and works hard. Has good movement and 1 touch interplay around the box. He's still growing into his role here.

When I see people slag him off with the "1 assist in 5 games" bs. I just can't understand it, they're his first 5 games for the club, give the lad a bit of time to settle in.
It’s also a remarkably stupid thing to say. If Mount chips in with 7+ assists for the season in the PL and a few goals it’s a decent return from a No8 - especially in a debut season in a new role in a team that’s a rollercoaster.

Oranges038

It’s also a remarkably stupid thing to say. If Mount chips in with 7+ assists for the season in the PL and a few goals it’s a decent return from a No8 - especially in a debut season in a new role in a team that’s a rollercoaster.
Cleverly was mentioned too.

I get people don't like him for whatever reason, probably the wole Chelsea thing, but he's a good player. Who should do well here.

Bondi77

Einstein I think...but definitely something people should take on board.

Man Utd 2:1 Brentford

sammyhol

The fact that this channel is so quiet speaks volumes.

anonymous

again…

An attacking midfielder whose main strengths are “neat and tidy” is a damning indictment.

should be nowhere near the first team… just as 99% of United fans would have said before we signed him.

a complete waste of money.

MattofManchester

Seems a solid player. Does things good, but not great. I don't see anything that justifies destabilising the whole team for him.

El Jefe

This wasn’t the game for him at all. Should have been subbed much sooner as he was shite.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a nothing performance. I think Mount and Bruno should never start a game together. We should only play one of them,

PoTMS

Why did we buy him? A decision that will cost us for years to come.

Ludens the Red

He’s just not the kind of player you want in a struggling side. He doesn’t have any drive or personality on the pitch, he’s not terrible, doesn’t make mistakes m, he just does nothing. He should be a sub until the club finds some form, unlikely to be under Ten Hag but whoever follows.

Nep77

Nothing player with no standout ability similar to Sancho and Lingard. We keep signing these one after another and can add Antony to the list aswell.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a silent domination player. His “alright” and “he played well” performances will stop being just that when the new signing glow wears off. We’ve all seen him for Chelsea numerous times. He’s a player who excels at nothing in particular.

sammyhol

Seems a solid player. Does things good, but not great. I don't see anything that justifies destabilising the whole team for him.
this.

a thousand times this.

the criticism of Bruno is justified, especially being so wasteful, but even in bad games he creates something typically. Mount is a nothing player we have signed because the manager wanted to play a system that doesn’t suit a single other player in the squad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
As anticipated, Mount looked most likely to contribute down the middle and vanished once he went wide. Why did we buy him? He's got energy, presses well but those shouldn't be the top attributes of a #10. Hannibal gives you everything Mount does.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The sort of squad player that is ok if they come through the ranks and are on say 30k a week and have a limited role.
But lashing out £50m and 200k a week?
And you have to shunt your better player Bruno wide?

Utterly daft.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He will be remembered here as the transfer that cost ten Hag his job. Erik shot himself in the foot with this one.

Anduin

He’s such a nothing player, literally invisible most of the time and annoying once you notice he’s even on the pitch. I still can’t get my head around the recruiting, how the feck could any average joe who watches a bit of football see the issues with signing him, but not our manager and recruiting team?

Bobski

He is a utility midfielder/attacker with no exceptional attributes. Good all round player, we have bought a squad option for the price of a key starter.

redIndianDevil

I thought he was decent for the first 20 mins, had a good shooting opportunity early which Pinnock blocked. I didn’t watch the second half. He does look decent behind the striker or in advanced areas.

You can see why he got Chelsea's player of the season award twice. He has a really good attitude and admirable work-rate...both things that are easy to like and instantly endearing.

Pretty pointless player though, with zero outstanding attributes. Even the one thing he's good at - pressing - turns out to be far less useful than advertised because 1. we don't have intelligent/willing pressers around him 2. he's weak and loses a big chunk of his individual duels. (41% success rate on 4.2 duels per 90 after today's match. Compared to somebody like Maddison, not renowned for his off-ball work, who's sitting at 54% on 5.9 duels per 90)

Yagami

Good post resistant
That would be Onana
Thing is, at least we needed a GK.

What we didn't need was another lightweight 10 who is weak under pressure, can't control a game, needs the team to be centred around them to be effective, is main attributes are work ethic, etc.

You'd think we'd have learnt after Kagawa, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Bruno, Donny, Sancho, Eriksen, but nope. That £50+m was needed to compliment/improve our team, not buy a player we already have in Bruno, Eriksen, Sancho and Donny - a lightweight 10 who imbalances the whole team due to their limitations as a player resulting in the teams tactics being adjusted to accommodate them.

Rockets Redglare

Neither him or Bruno looked very good on the right, but I thought he looked much better behind Hojlund than Bruno did.