g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Matteo Darmian image 36

Matteo Darmian Italy flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

khoazany

still baffling how the guy can go from looking like our next right back for a number of years to being replaced by 2 wingers. so basically our defensive wingbacks are currently our left attacking winger and a jack-of-all trades in Young and Blind. hopefully he can turn it around though and it's a "simple" case of first season at United / New League syndrome
What's wrong with playing a winger like Young who has a lot of energy and defends well at full-back?Young needs to be considered as a serious option and as long as Darmian doesn't show that he can do better, bench is the place for him.

I have never been impressed by Darmian's attacking play so I don't have high expectation but he clearly need to get his defending back on track,hopefully before we need to play him regularly again.

We need an rvn

what's wrong is that young isn't a defender and hence his positional awareness isn't as good as someone who is a "natural" right back. against better opposition we can't be playing Young there, quite simple.

this is not an attack on any player at all by the way - I like young, blind as players and they're good for United. I'm just saying i don't like the fact our left and right back are not players who's position it is and we'll get found out.

I'd rather have a right back who can defend and lit him pass to the right midfielder / attacker to do his job rather than an attacker at right bac

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
And yet he has still outperformed Darmian defensively recently so there is nothing wrong with it at all. Darmian has offered feck all going forward and started to get dicked defensively as well. He was rightly dropped and until he sorts that out he should remained dropped. Young and Valencia's positions or former positions are completely irrelevant.

Bringing Blind into it is stupid too as he has regularly played at LB throughout his career and has put in much better performances for us than Darmian has. Blind is much more deserving of a spot in the starting XI than Darmian is.

Oo0AahCantona

What i dont understand is how he managed to look so threatening for italy the times ive watched him, but for united he's essentially passive past the half way line.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
what's wrong is that young isn't a defender and hence his positional awareness isn't as good as someone who is a "natural" right back. against better opposition we can't be playing Young there, quite simple.

this is not an attack on any player at all by the way - I like young, blind as players and they're good for United. I'm just saying i don't like the fact our left and right back are not players who's position it is and we'll get found out.

I'd rather have a right back who can defend and lit him pass to the right midfielder / attacker to do his job rather than an attacker at right bac
You mean like this display from our right back last time we played PSV?

Welbeckham

People are way too obsessed with positions. Good players can play several positions, and Young and Valencia are both very good rightbacks. The players who perform best should always start, no matter what position they used to play. Darmian has clearly been the weakest defender of the three, when he is supposed to be a natural defender. Van Gaal is making good decisions lately.

Bojan11

What i dont understand is how he managed to look so threatening for italy the times ive watched him, but for united he's essentially passive past the half way line.
I think he's still getting used to LVG and a new league of course.

Evra was hardly great when he arrived.

RedDevil@84

Valencia has performed better than Darmain maybe. But certainly not Young. Besides Darmian has played good at least in 50% of the matches he played. His form went awry but he was not utter shite.
Unless Young is providing something extraordinary (offensively) from the right, there is no need to start him at RB over Darmian.

Golden Nugget

His loss of form coincided with Shaw's injury - which is odd as it really shouldn't have anything to do with him. He was great for the first month and won the fan's player of the month (although that should have been Smalling) so I still have faith in him. I think he'll regain his first team spot before the end of the season.

Devil81

A loss of form in your first season is totally acceptable, the physical demands of the Premier league are different to all other leagues. I'm sure once he adjusts his game he will be fine.

Halftrack

A loss of form in your first season is totally acceptable, the physical demands of the Premier league are different to all other leagues. I'm sure once he adjusts his game he will be fine.
Yeah, he hit the ground running, but sort of lost steam. Same as with Depay, really. Maybe the seeming ease of transition caused some complacency. He's shown what he can do, so it's just a matter of getting back to that level.

prath92

I would definitely play darmian next PL match. More than attack, we need defensive contribution against schlup vardy and all and I think darmian is better than young in that regard.

CG1010

As I said earlier, a lot of LVG's signing last season showed a "V" trend in their development (Herrera, Shaw, Rojo and Blind). After signing they initially showed a lot of quality and promise, and substantial improvement over the incumbent in their position. This was the honeymoon period that led to lot of excitement amongst the fans. Then their performance levels dipped by a lot suddenly with some extremely average displays, often leading to them being relegated on the bench. This was a period where they were seemingly getting accustomed with LVG's philosophy (and perhaps PL's rigour in some cases). Then finally they reached the acceleration stage, becoming an integral part of the squad and are still continuing to develop.

I think something similar might be happening with Darmian (i.e., he is in the second stage) and I fully expect him to grow out of this slump. He has shown sufficient quality early in the season to not be able to do so. The same with Memphis actually, whereas Schneiderlin has already crossed the two stages and reached the third.

arthurka

I would definitely play darmian next PL match. More than attack, we need defensive contribution against schlup vardy and all and I think darmian is better than young in that regard.
Young is quicker and has played his heart out even against tricky opponents. Please do not change the the back four unless it´s needed.

Brightonian

As I said earlier, a lot of LVG's signing last season showed a "V" trend in their development (Herrera, Shaw, Rojo and Blind).
Doesn't really apply to Shaw. He's been great every time he played, and was simply injured for most of his first season having won Louis over after some pre-season fitness issues. He's never struggled to be first choice for more than a game or two when fit.

CG1010

Doesn't really apply to Shaw. He's been great every time he played, and was simply injured for most of his first season having won Louis over after some pre-season fitness issues. He's never struggled to be first choice for more than a game or two when fit.
It does actually - even though he wasn't really dropped by LVG. He didn't have the best of form during the middle part of the season even fit which led to people questioning (wrongly obviously!) if he was massively overhyped and if he had the potential to become a good player for us. Specially, questions were raised as to his attacking potential. Then around the time we played Chelsea the second time, everything started coming together for him. He was actually the best player for us against Chelsea, which obviously was the norm this season before his injury but was a new phenomenon last season.

JoaquinJoaquin

I am of the opinion now that LVG doesn't actually rate him that high. There was plenty of times he could of been brought on in Saturday's game but was avoided time and time again. He is really going to have to work to get back in the team as a fixed starter, which is a shame for him as he started excellently.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
What's this early 'purple patch' people keep talking about? I remember he was very good in the Spurs opener and fantastic afterwards against Aston Villa (and Sunderland later on though I wouldn't read too much into games against such low-levelled opposition) but since then you could probably count his 'good' performances on one hand. Hardly a lengthy amount of time to be in form.

I still defer to the judgement of those who have watched him more closely than I in terms of his quality (as well as his notable defensive play in his form games), and I'm well aware that it will take him time to adapt and replicate that level. He's been better for Italy so I think it's largely the speed of play in England that he needs to get used to.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I actually believe that he wants at least one of the fullbacks to be ultra attacking, and with the injury to Shaw, he going now with the right side.
He is a very good defender, (even if he has had a few bad games)

RedDevil@84

What's this early 'purple patch' people keep talking about? I remember he was very good in the Spurs opener and fantastic afterwards against Aston Villa (and Sunderland later on though I wouldn't read too much into games against such low-levelled opposition) but since then you could probably count his 'good' performances on one hand. Hardly a lengthy amount of time to be in form.

I still defer to the judgement of those who have watched him more closely than I in terms of his quality (as well as his notable defensive play in his form games), and I'm well aware that it will take him time to adapt and replicate that level. He's been better for Italy so I think it's largely the speed of play in England that he needs to get used to.
Are you judging his defensive skills or attacking skills?

Scarecrow

Having a week off

You're right. He started very well but he didn't really keep it up long, unlike the Caf's general perception of his performances which for some reason kept going up and up. People would put him in Real, Barca and Bayern's teams when making combined XI's in one thread. The whole thing was really odd. He was great in the first two games and then had another good period (Sunderland and Wolfsburg) and that's about it. My rating of him on the Caf so far is 5.8, compared to the 6.3 average and my ratings of the other players are generally pretty similar to the average.

I don't know about his Italy performances. I watched them against Bulgaria in September but don't remember how he did. He wasn't particularly good against Belgium though.

Cassidy

I guess a player gets 0 time to adjust to a new league these days eh.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I guess a player gets 0 time to adjust to a new league these days eh.
What would make you think that? Most here are critical but many are pointing out that he's still adapting and it's normal.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Why would make you think that? Most here are critical but many are pointing out that he's still adapting and it's normal.
Ive witnessed comments in here saying LVG doesn't rate him, and that he offers no attacking threat.

Halftrack

Why would make you think that? Most here are critical but many are pointing out that he's still adapting and it's normal.
I does seem that way at times, though not so much for Darmian perhaps. Plenty of people basically gave up on Depay, writing him off completely, and Rojo's been getting stick from some from day one. Plenty of people were (and are still) doubtful of whether Blind's good enough. A lot of people seem to have the patience of literal children.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I am of the opinion now that LVG doesn't actually rate him that high. There was plenty of times he could of been brought on in Saturday's game but was avoided time and time again. He is really going to have to work to get back in the team as a fixed starter, which is a shame for him as he started excellently.
Yes, I agree - he doesn't seem to trust him for some reason. I think Valencia would have carried on in the role had he not got injured and now Young is playing there, which puts Darmian at third choice. he has also been withdrawn at half time a couple of times I think - disappointing as we had high hopes for him

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I don't like this player really. I think he's a very ordinary player who you could find almost anywhere. He's not very mobile. He's quite good at going forward and taking runs etc, but otherwise I'm not a very big fan and could easily think of another player to replace him with. I just don't see the athletic side to him, and I want a full back to be more like Dani Alves.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
This guy is the Anti-Evra, one couldn't defend to save his life and this guy can't go forward. I do believe he'll come good eventually once he gets used to the system and improves his attacking. People need to be patient.

ants7

I think he did very well in the early stages of his Manchester United career. But has been injured now and has lost his form.

littlepeasoup

In and out of the side, due to injury and form, leading to speculation that LVG doesn't rate him, especially since Young has played a portion of the season in his position.

Matteo Darmian is this season's Luke Shaw.

Last edited:

Cassidy

In and out of the side, due to injury and form leading to speculation that LVG doesn't rate him, especially since Young has played a portion of the season in his position.

Matteo Darmian is this season's Luke Shaw.
Indeed

gza the genius

He wasn't playing well and he's been benched as a result, that doesn't mean lvg doesn't rate him. He started out extremely well so I have little doubt that he'll eventually get back to those standards. As most are saying he's likely just finding it a bit tough in a new league and team setup. Hopefully some rest will help him out.

prath92

I don't like this player really. I think he's a very ordinary player who you could find almost anywhere. He's not very mobile. He's quite good at going forward and taking runs etc, but otherwise I'm not a very big fan and could easily think of another player to replace him with. I just don't see the athletic side to him, and I want a full back to be more like Dani Alves.
He isn't an ordinary player at all. His first 5 or so PL games and the CL qualifiers, he was very good. He was defensively sound and got into the right positions. Most of the players struggled to beat him 1v1. Meaning he is technically sound. It's probably a temporary form or confidence issue. I'm certain him and Memphis will be mainstays in our team soon.

Kag

He'll be back in the team in the near future and do very well. Some whopping posts kicking about in here.

Halftrack

Reads like you've never actually seen him play.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This guy is the Anti-Evra, one couldn't defend to save his life and this guy can't go forward. I do believe he'll come good eventually once he gets used to the system and improves his attacking. People need to be patient.
Evra was solid at one point

Status
Not open for further replies.