Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma

Valencias 6/10 performances we all remember, here and there 7/10 and shocker from time to time, we got used to lower standard
It's the 6/10 performances the Caf remembers. They have stuck in their brains the times where he didn't perform as well as a winger and can't forget it even to the depths of forgetting that he was an extremely important player to us a few seasons back. Last season he was a very good right back last season. His Whoscored rating for last season is 7.23. Far better than the Caf believes. Compare this to 7.05 for Rafael the season before last and you see where I am coming from.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Valencias 6/10 performances we all remember, here and there 7/10 and shocker from time to time, we got used to lower standard, if you watch how Rafael played, how proper modern right back plays in fact you would see the difference but I have comfirmed it here many times people have short short memories, and are able to cirtisize players for being injured and in the end just settle for lower standards. I wasn't critisizing Valencia much he did his best there but his inability to use his brain was absolutely unpardonable and I was furious we couldn't use that right hand side even more with Mata and Herrera in form.. If Darmian will ever reach the level what Rafa showed us unfortunately only for two seasons due to injuries, he wasn't struggling with any of the top players, like Ronaldo/Bale, Hazard defensively and showed like three times more in terms of attacking.. if darmian ever be close to that level I will consider a success..

Yes people love rafa for his dedicated etc. but also like to remember his world class performances, it's the other half of people who only remembers one rush challenge there and a lot of time being sidelined.

Anyway it's just a waste of time to explain some people this frustration from lack of quality at fullback position, some people get excited from very little..
You cant argue this because you dont really have a point and are one of those Rafael fanboys I am talking about and where having digs against Darmian even as early as August.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/matteo-darmian-2015-16-performances.406447/page-28#post-17952694

This is what you were saying about him in August.

not our level but can't be really worse than buttner, which says feck all..
This are the kind of "fans" I dont get. Getting so attached to a player badly that they will go on a hate fueled agenda against whoever replaces him.

Rafael is gone. Let it go.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He seems nervous to me alot of the time on the pitch. Doesn't look very attacking either, maybe it's because he mostly played as a wingback in a 3 defender system.
I still want to see what he can offer next season when he has fully adapted, if his performances haven't improved by this time next year we should look elsewhere.

For now i prefer Valencia who is pretty average, but has the pace and attacking sense to perform with Mata on the right.

m1y2

You cant argue this because you dont really have a point and are one of those Rafael fanboys I am talking about and where having digs against Darmian even as early as August.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/matteo-darmian-2015-16-performances.406447/page-28#post-17952694

This is what you were saying about him in August.

This are the kind of "fans" I dont get. Getting so attached to a player badly that they will go on a hate fueled agenda against whoever replaces him.

Rafael is gone. Let it go.
and so far I am not ashamed for what I have said, he proved to be an average player for average team not Manchester United, if he progress well I'd be surprised and will in fact like to be proved wrong, as I only want the best for this team, he might become a good squad player but someone younger with more energy and ability will sooner or later be bought to be a real competition and to take over from him, he was massively overrated here from the beginning like Blind who will soon be seen as a squad player, once we strengthen in position he can play.

When you see player like Bellerin who is already twice player Darmian is you can see how average he is and what potential he can realistically reach. Debuchy level but as I said lets hope he can prove me wrong in coming years but Id certainly buy him a competition, or give chances to some youngsters like Reid but cant really say atm how ready our younsgters are as I havent followed them that closely this year.

You can buy squad players but you need quality as well, Darmian is hardly an exciting prospect from the beginning..

m1y2

It's the 6/10 performances the Caf remembers. They have stuck in their brains the times where he didn't perform as well as a winger and can't forget it even to the depths of forgetting that he was an extremely important player to us a few seasons back. Last season he was a very good right back last season. His Whoscored rating for last season is 7.23. Far better than the Caf believes. Compare this to 7.05 for Rafael the season before last and you see where I am coming from.
if you judge players according to whoscored then amen, for me he's still solid player but shouldn't be obviously no1 option for any position. I have no complaints about having player capable of good run of okay games, being consistent but then you need a player who is a bit different quality and Darmian is another 6/7 out of 10, Rafael in his best season had basically MOTM performance every second game and I dont judge player according to teletext, whoscored or anything else..

Sigma

if you judge players according to whoscored then amen, for me he's still solid player but shouldn't be obviously no1 option for any position. I have no complaints about having player capable of good run of okay games, being consistent but then you need a player who is a bit different quality and Darmian is another 6/7 out of 10, Rafael in his best season had basically MOTM performance every second game and I dont judge player according to teletext, whoscored or anything else..
I'm not judging him based on whoscored. I'm judging him based on how I see him play and they way to back up how I feel is by using this statistic.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
and so far I am not ashamed for what I have said, he proved to be an average player for average team not Manchester United, if he progress well I'd be surprised and will in fact like to be proved wrong, as I only want the best for this team, he might become a good squad player but someone younger with more energy and ability will sooner or later be bought to be a real competition and to take over from him, he was massively overrated here from the beginning like Blind who will soon be seen as a squad player, once we strengthen in position he can play.

When you see player like Bellerin who is already twice player Darmian is you can see how average he is and what potential he can realistically reach. Debuchy level but as I said lets hope he can prove me wrong in coming years but Id certainly buy him a competition, or give chances to some youngsters like Reid but cant really say atm how ready our younsgters are as I havent followed them that closely this year.

You can buy squad players but you need quality as well, Darmian is hardly an exciting prospect from the beginning..
How can he prove you wrong when you have been on a witch hunt from the very start?

Your comments are simply that of a jilted Rafa fan who would criticize anyone that did come in.

Rafael is gone, let go. He's was a decent little player for us, but other than one season, was never consistently world class for us either.

Or just watch the Lyon games instead,

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Norris

Being in the opposition half against a team like Sheffield who were camping in and around their own box really doesn't mean much. He didn't have much to do defensively so obviously he was going to be in their half most of the time.

He contributed a few overlaps and a few crosses fair enough but against a team like this i would expect more. Much more.

How many times did he receive the ball and just turn around and pass it straight back to whoever gave it to him right away. Too many is the answer and it's frustrating as feck. Even against a team like this he didn't offer much going forward, vs better opposition he gets forward even less.

He just doesn't seem like a very attacking fullback, which for me is a big problem. We mostly play with 2 deep midfielders so our fullbacks should be bombing forward all the time and stretching the opposition. Shaw was doing it quite well before his injury, Darmian doesn't. It's at least partly why we are so shit going forward, and have a hard time breaking teams down.

To be honest to me he still looks like a CB playing RB.
The reason he gives it backwards or sideways so often is because, his supposed partner, Mata completely goes missing in that flank. He drifts inwards and usually it is only Herrera that offers any options.

Also we don't exactly play with two deep midfielders. One tends to stay higher up than the other. In the game against Sheffield, that was BFS who played a little higher up (Since he has a natural tendency to close down opponents). Occasionally, Felli and him swap places.

I agree it is probably not good enough, but you can't fault the poor guy because his supposed attacking outlet is hardly ever present.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A half season and I have seen 1 nice cross. 0 dribbles 0 good link up and some hit and miss defending.

He has been average to slightly below. And it's criminal that a Manchester United fullback either cant attack or is not allowed.

i really want to like him but he is just too vanilla so far. He does. Get a pass because he is new but very underwhelming so far.

m1y2

How can he prove you wrong when you have been on a witch hunt from the very start?

Your comments are simply that of a jilted Rafa fan who would criticize anyone that did come in.

Rafael is gone, let go. He's was a decent little player for us, but other than one season, was never consistently world class for us either.

Or just watch the Lyon games instead,
Darmian was given easy ride from everyone else, how was he on witch hunt, if you mean by me, then okay. I didn't make it easy for him but latest performances have proved me right that he is nothing special and will rather become someone backing up LB and RB than someone making hte position his own, one more interesting thing is that he doesn't have any competition after Valencia got injured and he still couldn't make apeparances over Young who only just started palying there, it's Valencia's case as well! Varela given a go too. And yes I know he's been injured/suspended for a couple of weeks..

It's not about giving him stick from the beginning for no reason, was a bit harsh I admit but it wasn't as ridiculous as other people's praise for average to decent performances from the start and even before his start, must have been his likeable Italian face or a fact that our only next rightback is for most of the people here very frustrating Valencia and the second one always injured Rafael, it was the relief we have finally someone else, who atleast can stay fit and of course everybody believed in him from the start, it was almost like with Blind hen we bought him we didn't have midfielders at all, so everyone was excited to see a new player there so even decent games were fantastic performances from him, where is he now, he's last option in midfield and only because Luke Shaw is injured he has a chance to play leftback here and there and centerback which looks like his position now but only until Rojo, Jones get back fit or we actually buy someone of better quality to partner Smalling.

So I hope for the same situation with Darmian we buy him a young fresh talent with higher potential and let them fight for that spot, Valencia is already that squad palyer on that right hand side, and that doesn't make sense to have two squad players, LAV won't raise his game and Darmian might but we need someone as hungry as Bellerin. But I guess its not easy to find that kind of rightback in todays market or perhaps we identified thw wrong one. I currently like the looks of Joao Cancelo from Valencia btw.

And I have seen Lyon play three times this year and Rafael was decent and maybe man of the match against Valencia when they knocked them out of Champions league, watch that game if you dont believe me and dont just tell me to watch him when you yourself dont or will you claim you do?

stevoc

The reason he gives it backwards or sideways so often is because, his supposed partner, Mata completely goes missing in that flank. He drifts inwards and usually it is only Herrera that offers any options.
He does the same whoever plays in front of him, including with Lingard in the second half. Yesterday there was at least a dozen occasions when he was given the ball out wide with a bit of space in front of him where he could have taken the fullback on and maybe stretched the opposition. More often than not though he just passed it back inside.

Also we don't exactly play with two deep midfielders. One tends to stay higher up than the other. In the game against Sheffield, that was BFS who played a little higher up (Since he has a natural tendency to close down opponents). Occasionally, Felli and him swap places.
One plays a bit further forward no doubt but both are still pretty deep. Whenever we have the ball one will drift forward but between Bastian, Morgan and Carrick they very very rarely make runs into the box. So when the opposition attacks both our CM's are generally close to our defenders.

In our current set up we have basically 6 out of the 10 players geared towards defence more than attack.

I agree it is probably not good enough, but you can't fault the poor guy because his supposed attacking outlet is hardly ever present.
Look i hope he comes good for us i really do. And i don't think it's his fault if he's not very attacking we should have known this before buying him. But i just don't see him ever providing the attacking outlet we need out there or indeed lasting very long here if he can't adapt his game.

thepolice123

Is he carrying an injury or something? Must have lost nearly all his 50-50 challenges today. And he's so fecking soft in his defensive play. Really starting to lose my faith in him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was gash again today... but then he's been gash for a while.

Really struggling to adapt to the pace and power of this league. Next season will hopefully be a different story.

m1y2

Really struggling to adapt to the pace and power of this league. Next season will hopefully be a different story.
he seems really off the pace, like if he played testimonial, he's as quick as carrick, horrible waste of money and people thought it was a bargain

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He cant defend or attack. Every time someone attacks him you know a cross is coming in.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Whenever he plays on the right, he tends to be okay. Not always brilliant, but at least okay.

Whenever deployed on the left he struggles. I would've carried on with CBJ.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You'd find lads playing Sunday league who have better stamina than him.

Robbie Boy

He's been absolutely dreadful for some time now. Bar his very early season form, he's looked a complete and utter dud.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Why didn't we put Rafa on a pay as you play contract? I still don't get it. He's got more fight and spirit then this lad. He's a nice lad but he's like a deer in headlights. He needs more aggression and quality. His mistake in the second half, was someone not focusing properly on where they are on the pitch

Irrational.

It seems like he has difficulty with clearing the ball, and ends up passing it to the opposition attack.

Just put your fecking foot through it.

Skills

Snitch
He reminds me of that Liverpool player Dossena.
Another from Serie A. I really have no interest in Serie A, but looking at players like Cuadrado & Darmian I just don't think they translate too well to the English league.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I wonder if more will start to realise that Valencia is actually a very good full back compared to alternatives here or elsewhere.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Strange that he was so good when he first played for us, and now looks not really up to it. Is an Italian international, I wonder what happened since he joined, especially with his confidence.
I wonder if the Luke Shaw injury shook him or something... because he's been an absolute fanny ever since roughly around that time.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He looked like am absolute bargain at the beginning of the season. Weird how he's regressed, he looked unbeatable.

Skills

Snitch
Just doesn't look anywhere near as athletic to me. Modern full backs are probably the most dynamic players in a football team, and he's neither quick nor strong.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Why didn't we put Rafa on a pay as you play contract? I still don't get it. He's got more fight and spirit then this lad. He's a nice lad but he's like a deer in headlights. He needs more aggression and quality. His mistake in the second half, was someone not focusing properly on where they are on the pitch
Although his was fit far more than he was inured last season, i reckon he'd have accepted such an arrangement if that's what it took to restore his credibility in that regard. The guy clearly wanted to stay at the club, and he epitomised those attacking qualities that a fan wishes to see, but was forced out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.