5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Point still stands, failing is failing if its in the qualifiers or the final.
Where would you rather finish in the league? 5th or 15th? Both are failures right?

Point doesn't still stand. The club would rip your hand off for a final appearance nowadays.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
That's some mighty pithy bs there. Getting to the final is not the same as going out in the group stage.
How is it different? you've done better, Ill admit, but ultimately failed to win the competition.
Point doesn't still stand. The club would rip your hand off for a final appearance nowadays.
Im sure the club would because they get a lot more cash for it, but from my point of view you still havent won it. Can you be proud of it, yes, i think so, can you class it as success, not if you are Manchester United no. Would Real class loosing in the final as success? Bayern? Barca? No. Would Leicester Liverpool or Newcastle class it as success? Probably, they aren't Utd. Ask Keano if he would class loosing in the final as success, or Eric, or SAF, I bet my balls they would all say no.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's clear that we need to replace him properly in the summer. Verratti or Gundogan would be interesting options to check

Brightonian

How is it different? you've done better, Ill admit, but ultimately failed to win the competition.
This is so deliberately obtuse it's basically trolling.

Here, I'll bite:

- More players get to play more matches against ever-better opposition. Your squad gets important European experience.
- In getting to the final, you've clearly beaten a number of good teams, perhaps one or two of the best teams. This suggests that you are much better than going out to the likes of CSKA in the group stage does. You almost certainly have a better chance of winning the thing than a team who went out in the group stage.
- Money. You get a fecktonne more getting to the final than you do going out in the group stage. Matchday takings, broadcast fees, commercial desirability.
- Fans get to watch a string of top matches. Many would argue that these days the big CL ties are as good as football gets.
- A club that reaches a CL final will be more attractive to the top players, managers and other staff.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This is so deliberately obtuse it's basically trolling.

Here, I'll bite:

- More players get to play more matches against ever-better opposition. Your squad gets important European experience.
- In getting to the final, you've clearly beaten a number of good teams, perhaps one or two of the best teams. This suggests that you are much better than going out to the likes of CSKA in the group stage does. You almost certainly have a better chance of winning the thing than a team who went out in the group stage.
- Money. You get a fecktonne more getting to the final than you do going out in the group stage. Matchday takings, broadcast fees, commercial desirability.
- Fans get to watch a string of top matches. Many would argue that these days the big CL ties are as good as football gets.
- A club that reaches a CL final will be more attractive to the top players, managers and other staff.
All absolutely correct, all very good things, all things to be proud of. Still not success. A club of our stature should be aiming to win any competition it is in. Anything less is not success.

manutddjw

We need him back. Him and Blind are the only 2 who are willing to play the killer pass instead of recycling possession.

edcunited1878

Some are being too cynical about this.

When United won the Premier League and Champions League double in 07/08, United lost to Portsmouth in the 6th round of the FA Cup (at home mind you). That was bizarre the fact 99% of all people would have fancied United to FA Cup glory because the team was that superior to the other semi-finalists in West Brom, Cardiff and Barnsley. Obviously there is too much hindsight in this saying United would have been Treble winners once again, however that was a great FA Cup run.

A club of United's stature, the standards are always win what you're in. Europa League, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, etc. Achieving the ultimate goal of winning a competition should never detract from what you've accomplished. 19 teams will not will the Premier League. If United finish 2nd this year let's say, it would be deemed successful. But ultimately, not the ultimate goal/success and certainly you'll hear that from LVG and players.

When United lost to AC Milan in CL semi-finals in 06/07, that was a success because the team made a run that wasn't really expected in the CL. But we saw the progress made by Ronaldo and Rooney and team to really make a run the next year or two or three. Sure there's massive disappointment, but you have to include some realistic perspective.

Derby 1:3 Man Utd

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He makes such a difference in the build up. His pass to Martial for the 3rd goal is exactly what we've missed.

Matty7

That pass form Carrick to Martial for the 3rd goal is exactly the kind of forward passing we have been missing! Hes crucial to us, he really is.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That pass form Carrick to Martial for the 3rd goal is exactly the kind of forward passing we have been missing! Hes crucial to us, he really is.
He makes such a difference in the build up. His pass to Martial for the 3rd goal is exactly what we've missed.
Hasn't Blind been doing that all season? Infact he's been doing it tonight.

Still good to see him back, would love to see him come straight in for Fellaini, I can dream right?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Still good to see him back, would love to see him come straight in for Fellaini, I can dream right?
Different doing it from midfield then from the back though... not only because your starting position is more advanced.

Matty7

I agree Blind has, but its not his duty to do so as a CB really, we need someone in the middle of the park to be doing it higher up the pitch. Hopefully Carrick can remain fit till the end of the season, will be a huge help.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Different doing it from midfield then from the back though... not only because your starting position is more advanced.
He wasnt in much of a different position to what Blind often takes up when we are in position, still great pass and glad he's back.

Zoo

Just about to post the same thing. Makes a world of difference.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's Carrick, you know...

Annihilate Now!

Scout
And here I thought it was impossible to hit clever, quick and incisive passes when you're next to Fellaini in midfield...

The White Pele

About a minute before the 3rd goal (I think it was on 81 mins) there was a moment where he took the ball off the back four and just effortlessly found a forward pass straight into our forward players. The contrast to what we get from our other midfielders in that situation is stark. He is a cut above.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's pretty much the only central midfielder (possibly even factor in the #10s) who can play a penetrative pass in our side. That is pretty staggering.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Glad he's back. Nearly gave away a goal if not for the players poor first touch.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Missed a top class Carrick all season. If he can pick up some form, stay fit, then I won't be worrying. Excellent player.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
LVG needs to be smart with how he uses him... can't overplay him, and needs to keep him fresh for important fixtures.

I don't trust LVG to do this competently.

Manny

Grammar Police
Urged players around him to pass him the ball and was trying to get into the front three quickly. Something Morgan desperately, desperately needs to improve on.

And here I thought it was impossible to hit clever, quick and incisive passes when you're next to Fellaini in midfield...
Yep, something about Schneiderlin has to play crap to cover for Fellaini...

The White Pele

We need him in our home fixtures to get straight into the opposition back four. Too much dilly dallying without him!

Irrational.

Great to have him back. Schneiderlin and Fellaini can't string a decent forward pass between them.

Who will be our next Carrick?

Devil may care

Needed those minutes tonight, we really need to be finding a younger version of him that can move as well as pass nicely.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
LVG needs to be smart with how he uses him... can't overplay him, and needs to keep him fresh for important fixtures.

I don't trust LVG to do this competently.
He wasn't playing much before he got injured was he?

jem

In some ways, he's the player we're most desperate to find a like-for-like replacement for (in so far as that's possible.) Fantastic player, who I think will be appreciated even more once he's left us.

acnumber9

He's still comfortably our best midfielder. He'll be sorely missed when he's gone.

Sylar

I really do wish Fergie had bought a proper midfielder to play alongside him during his prime years (2009-13), think it would have helped in the CL (think we would have at least had a better shot at Barca).

Carried our midfield for years. Shame hes 34 and not 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.