Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Still easily our best CM. If he remains fit all season and is used intelligently, we're golden.

Fer

I'm glad to see him back, he can be important for us the remaining of the season...
When does he finish contract? Do you think he will continue in the club next season?

Nickosaur

I'm glad to see him back, he can be important for us the remaining of the season...
When does he finish contract? Do you think he will continue in the club next season?
I think he has too.

arthurka

Hope he does... If fit hes valuable, and a new manager could find great use of him.. Great player..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Been saying it for sometime that I think this is his last year with us.

izec

He has the confidence to play the simple forward pass, it is not something van Gaal forbids. But it is easier to play the sideway or backpass to keep posession, while Carrick does it with his forward passing. Schneiderlin, Fellaini and even Schweini to an extent could do that too and should do that more regularly, but they are quite simply afraid.

Manny

Grammar Police
We haven't got another midfielder that plays the obvious simple pass like he does

Look at Carricks position in relation to Fellaini. He's drifted right over to that side of the pitch to affect play.

After Carrick takes his first touch, he's got 3 progressive passes in Martial, Mata and Blind(?) as well Rooney, yet he opts to play the more difficult one into Martial.

If that was Schneiderlin he would have been about 7-8 yards deeper and more central, pretty much standing in the centre circle. His likely passing options would have been forward to Rooney, sideways to Verela or back to Smalling. And knowing Schneiderlin, he'd have picked the easy one back to Smalling.

Devil may care

Been saying it for sometime that I think this is his last year with us.
It's the right time, we kept Scholes on rather than finding a younger player who can pass it creatively but also cover the ground with mobility and not leave his CM partner doing too much, Carrick's at this point now IMO.

Manny

Grammar Police
I think he needs to be kept on in a coaching capacity.

To be able to hold the midfield the way he does and get the team playing is invaluable. He almost does the job of two players and I think he'd be a big help in us moulding the next Carrick, Busquets, Alonso etc.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's getting old, but I'd probably rather he played on crutches than our current midfield. How can we spend like £100 million or some shizzle like that for it to get actively worse?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's getting old, but I'd probably rather he played on crutches than our current midfield. How can we spend like £100 million or some shizzle like that for it to get actively worse?
I thought Schneiderlin was much better on the ball at Southampton than what he has shown so far. He certainly wasn't getting by because Wanyama was some kind of a special play maker out there. It will be interesting how we move forward because Schweinsteiger is not a long term option even if he regains health and form and Herrera/Pereira are more attacking midfielders than deep lying play makers. I guess a lot would depend on the next manager but it still bothers me how Sir Alex never made a move for Modric when he was playing at Spurs.

clarkydaz

LVG seems to hold him in high regard, I would have thought we would want him around regardless of playing

RuudTom83

Not every players needs to remain at the club in a coaching role! It would be nice for a change to have a player just retire.

Devil may care

His passing is great but several times Stoke have just strolled through midfield with such a lack of mobility in there for us, I'd get Schneiderlin or Herrera on to add some legs alongside him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's been our worst player, skinned easily, slipped in midfield and a terrible header in our own box all put us in difficulty.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's been our worst player, skinned easily, slipped in midfield and a terrible header in our own box all put us in difficulty.
Wut? Defensively he is far from great, mostly because of physical battles but his passing makes a complete difference to this team. When on form still easily our best midfielder, at 35.

Rossa

I was about to say that he is such a great player. The way he finds players with such ease is impressive. He has slipped a couple of times, but even world class Gerrard did that :D

Get him playing next to Schneiderlin instead of that player who is neither playing as midfielder or attacker, and Carrick will not have to try and hold a midfield on his own, again. Funny how people complained on how Carrick had to play in a midfield two under Ferguson. Now he has to play a midfield on his own.

NinjaFletch

I've got to admit, I'd probably go along with this, but everyone else has been great.

That said, no doubt we've looked a lot better today on the day he's come back in to the team. Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This play we are seeing today is much to the effect of Carrick.
Yes, I'd say he is easily most influential player to our play. Of course he can be bad, but when he's good he's good.

Manny

Grammar Police
His positive passing at the start set the tone for the half I thought.

The whole team looks more confident knowing he's there to pass to

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I've got to admit, I'd probably go along with this, but everyone else has been great.

That said, no doubt we've looked a lot better today on the day he's come back in to the team. Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not.
It's his first start after injury and I'm sure he'll get better but it's baffling how he can do no wrong with some people.

Laphroaig

Give this man a five year contract. A 40 year old Carrick is probably the best possible replacement of the 30 year old Carrick.
His passing range makes us a much more dangerous team. Replacing him should be number one priority.
Finding the elixir of life should be our top priority, it's slightly more realistic.

Raw

Dire need of a replacement in the summer. Could have another Scholes situation on our hands.

Devil may care

Good on the ball but the midfield was the one concern for me today, when we don't have the ball you can just run through it most of the time, no ground coverage or mobility in there.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I gave him my MOTM because I'm bored of giving it to Martial every week. I put the majority of credit from tonight's performance on his return.

Status
Not open for further replies.