Mo Salah

mjstokes85

Had to laugh the other day watching Liverpool v Chelsea PL classic on sky sports from 2014 (the Gerrard slip game) and seeing Salah in Chelsea shirt. Just sat thinking you have no idea how good this guy is going to be in a few years time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
When he retires would people have him higher than Ribery or/and Robben?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Had to laugh the other day watching Liverpool v Chelsea PL classic on sky sports from 2014 (the Gerrard slip game) and seeing Salah in Chelsea shirt. Just sat thinking you have no idea how good this guy is going to be in a few years time.
I had the exact same feeling when I watched Wenger's 1000th game a while ago that ended 6-0. Salah scored the 6th goal and I thought it's hard to even fathom the current Salah is the same player as that scrawny little kid.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Is he still an honorary citizen of Chechnya and friend to Kadyrov?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He plays for Liverpool, that gives him a head start.
Is it?

I feel like Gerrard is underrated, rarely mentioned when talking about best midfielders of 2000s, i suspect this is because he underachieved with Liverpool and underperformed with England, but i guess Salah is a different story, he already seems more successful in Liverpool than Gerrard in much less time.

Supports
Chelsea
When he retires would people have him higher than Ribery or/and Robben?
General consensus probably yes. But I'd say Robben is better though. Played at a high level at every club he was at (when not injured), won everything there was to win, and in general a better footballer than Mo.

Ribery is more similar to Hazard in that he didn't score enough goals to be remembered with those players.

Steve Bruce

Is it?

I feel like Gerrard is underrated, rarely mentioned when talking about best midfielders of 2000s, i suspect this is because he underachieved with Liverpool and underperformed with England, but i guess Salah is a different story, he already seems more successful in Liverpool than Gerrard in much less time.
Are you serious? When talking about best 11s he's frequently their. One thing Gerrard isn't, is under rated.

Liverpool players have always been over rated throughout the premier League years. At one stage claimed they had the best keeper, defender, midfielder and striker in their team.

Henderson is apparently world class but I'm truth he's got average ability, great leadership and determination to do the best he can and fair play to him, he's had success

Teja

He’s off in the summer I’m pretty sure
It's actually kinda sad how far they're taking this moneyball approach and not giving players ~30 big money, lengthy contracts.

I can understand if it were other players, maybe even Mane, but Salah is the face of the club, hard to imagine that they'd kick him out like that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's actually kinda sad how far they're taking this moneyball approach and not giving players ~30 big money, lengthy contracts.

I can understand if it were other players, maybe even Mane, but Salah is the face of the club, hard to imagine that they'd kick him out like that.
It's the first time in forever that we have to negotiate a contract extension for a genuine superstar, top 5 player in the world. I'm guessing our wage structure would be blown up if we pay Salah market value, and it's not sure that he'll keep playing at this ridiculous level for the entirety of the contract given he's almost 30 and probably wants a 3 or 4 year deal.

I think it's obvious that we do want to keep him, but there's more in play here than the club playing moneyball. I'm still confident / hopeful both sides are having constructive conversations and a deal will be done which would keep every party happy. I also think Salah definitely wants to stay at Liverpool but he also wants to get paid according to his performances, and rightfully so of course.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You'd call me anything but regular if you knew what was in my coat pocket right now.

As for Mo being a "hell of a player", I wholeheartedly disagree. He's a top-notch scorer of goals, of this there is no doubt, but his overall ability is barely adequate. I won't go too deep on the guy in case he reads this, but yeah, I think he's one of the worst footballers in PL history, no better than a Sunday Leaguer. You might think I'm crazy or delusional, but I don't think he's any better than me.

Yeah, I said, so what. I'm as good as Mo Salah.
Are you still active? I think a fair few clubs would love to sign you - maybe as a midfielder if your goalscoring is a little weak. It pays pretty well you know, I think you should consider it!

Teja

It's the first time in forever that we have to negotiate a contract extension for a genuine superstar, top 5 player in the world. I'm guessing our wage structure would be blown up if we pay Salah market value, and it's not sure that he'll keep playing at this ridiculous level for the entirety of the contract given he's almost 30 and probably wants a 3 or 4 year deal.

I think it's obvious that we do want to keep him, but there's more in play here than the club playing moneyball. I'm still confident / hopeful both sides are having constructive conversations and a deal will be done which would keep every party happy. I also think Salah definitely wants to stay at Liverpool but he also wants to get paid according to his performances, and rightfully so of course.
Yep, don't get me wrong, I don't think giving him 350k p/w or whatever he wants until he's 34 is a good idea.

Is there any club in the world that would pay him that right now? Maybe PSG (to replace Mbappe for a couple of years), Juve (they're shit and want to win in Italy again) and Barca (also a bit shit)?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yep, don't get me wrong, I don't think giving him 350k p/w or whatever he wants until he's 34 is a good idea.

Is there any club in the world that would pay him that right now? Maybe PSG (to replace Mbappe for a couple of years), Juve (they're shit and want to win in Italy again) and Barca (also a bit shit)?
I think Salah deserves to be the highest paid player in the league and top 5 in the world. Whether its with Liverpool or not, I cannot say

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’m not sure where he’d go and get 350-400k p/w other than perhaps PSG. But with them needing to replace Mbappe this summer, I suppose it kind of makes sense. But I’m still hopeful we manage to keep him.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
City wont mind a free transfer or a swap with Grealish

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Is he still an honorary citizen of Chechnya and friend to Kadyrov?

I didn't realize he had a personal relationship with that guy :(

That's really horrible that he would choose to associate himself with someone like that.

How far do they go back? Was Kadyrov living in Egypt at some stage while Salah was growing up?

That's unbelievable, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it since this all kicked off.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
They could always ask him to test the waters elsewhere and come back with an offer. Liverpool can then match it or send Salah along with no hard feelings
If i am the player I will feel disrespected by the club. My effort and achievement over the years are not valued and appreciated. What he asked for is just market value which is fair and deserved. There is always a risk like Auba situation in Arsenal but Salah seems has a professional attitude.

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't realize he had a personal relationship with that guy :(

That's really horrible that he would choose to associate himself with someone like that.

How far do they go back? Was Kadyrov living in Egypt at some stage while Salah was growing up?

That's unbelievable, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it since this all kicked off.
I don't think its that deep. The Egyptian National team were "invited" to Chechnya by Kadyrov himself with Salah being the star attraction. I say national team but from the videos that were released you can tell they were only interested in Salah being there.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I don't think its that deep. The Egyptian National team were "invited" to Chechnya by Kadyrov himself with Salah being the star attraction. I say national team but from the videos that were released you can tell they were only interested in Salah being there.

Ahhh ok so the other guy is just spreading Chechen propaganda to points score on a football forum.

I thought the events of recent days would stop that sort of petty behaviour but I guess I was mistaken.

Supports
Chelsea
Ahhh ok so the other guy is just spreading Chechen propaganda to points score on a football forum.

I thought the events of recent days would stop that sort of petty behaviour but I guess I was mistaken.
To be fair he wasn't lying when he said he was made an honorary citizen, that bit is true. It's not a good look at all but obviously they were paid to be there.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If i am the player I will feel disrespected by the club. My effort and achievement over the years are not valued and appreciated. What he asked for is just market value which is fair and deserved. There is always a risk like Auba situation in Arsenal but Salah seems has a professional attitude.
How would he know what market value is? Surely competitive offers from other clubs would form that baseline for what the market is pricing him at?

I'm sure Liverpool appreciate and value his contribution, but they have a high wire to walk here; between satisfying their best player, and the interests of the club in the long term.

macheda14

How would he know what market value is? Surely competitive offers from other clubs would form that baseline for what the market is pricing him at?

I'm sure Liverpool appreciate and value his contribution, but they have a high wire to walk here; between satisfying their best player, and the interests of the club in the long term.
You can find out what equivalent players are on at other clubs. Gary Neville didn’t have an agent and all he would do was go to the PFA ask them what the Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool right backs were on and then get the club to at least match it.

It doesn’t need to be based on what other clubs are going to offer but parity with star players as well as a representative proportion of the clubs revenue.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
General consensus probably yes. But I'd say Robben is better though. Played at a high level at every club he was at (when not injured), won everything there was to win, and in general a better footballer than Mo.

Ribery is more similar to Hazard in that he didn't score enough goals to be remembered with those players.
But what is better? if you had a 25 year old Robben and a 25 year old Salah who would you take? If you have to answer this question, you cannot overlook injuries since he never managed to play a whole season injury free. In contrast, Salah nearly never gets injured. So perhaps Robben has a higher peak but objectively having Salah in your team increases objectively your chances of winning the league than if you had Robben.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
But what is better? if you had a 25 year old Robben and a 25 year old Salah who would you take? If you have to answer this question, you cannot overlook injuries since he never managed to play a whole season injury free. In contrast, Salah nearly never gets injured. So perhaps Robben has a higher peak but objectively having Salah in your team increases objectively your chances of winning the league than if you had Robben.

If you factor in the injury record then it is a no contest.

The only real thing that Robben has over Salah is that he looked more "Majestic" than Salah when he attacked.

I can understand people "Liking" Robben more , he was a fantastic footballer, but part of being a truly world class footballer is being available to perform.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm a Bayern fan but I will pick Salah because He's rarely injured

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Pretty sure that's what we did when David Gill and Sir Alex was around.

Players above 30 weren't given lengthy contracts and were basically given 1+1 years and the club negotiate annually based on their performance.

Sylar

Pretty sure that's what we did when David Gill and Sir Alex was around.

Players above 30 weren't given lengthy contracts and were basically given 1+1 years and the club negotiate annually based on their performance.
And weve fecked ourselves with the contracts weve given 30+ years olds post Ferguson / Gill. Its been a waste of money tbh.

Salah, has to be said, hasbeen great for Liverpool. No denying what hes done for them, hes a brilliant player to watch (annoying cos its for them lot). And hes won basically nearly everything for them (Fa cup missing?).
He deserves to ask for parity with top earners in the world.

Likewise Liverpool are so fecking annoying that the signings theyve recently got for the forward line (jota, diaz) look like perfect fits. They wont score the goals hes gets, but it could be more spread now. And if they get a good chunk of money for him, they can invest it back in the team (and you would trust Klopp to get that right now)

Supports
Chelsea
Might be silly but the way I tend to rank players is if the more talented, better footballer has achieved similar or more in the game individually & as a team then he will always be better than someone who has done the same, is better statistically, but a worse footballer. Obviously the discrepancy in statistics matter, if its something completely insane like Ronaldo was doing then it can't be ignored.

Regarding your point, I could counter by asking if you think Lampard was better than Iniesta? The same arguments made for Salah also apply to Lampard, but he's just simply not the better player is he? Talent always trumps statistics when it comes to the players at the highest level (for me).