Neymar joins PSG on a five year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The main problem I see is the inflated commercial deals. Instead of just pumping money they will buy the rights of the Stadium Name are things like that for crazy money. What could you do against this? There is no way to check what a free market actor would pay for it. If you want to estimate it you will get 10 estimates from 10 persons. There is other ways around this too.
Commercial deals from the owner are capped at 35%, if they reach that point their overall budget won't exceed 50% of the biggest budget in the confederation. Let's imagine that PSG have 300m worth of commercial deals and 150m are linked to their owner, then their budget will be capped at 50% of the highest budget. If United have the highest budget at 500m than PSG's budget is capped at 250m.

prtk0811

But we are not funded by an state giving us 100m€ from sponsors whenever we need.
If we want to buy we need to sell first.
:lol:Banks bailed Madrid out, the Madrid political connection is well known in Spain. When ever they needed to buy whom so we're they wanted.

And it's not for la liga president to play a ffp inspector, if psg sell their players they can balance the books or get fined for breaching the rules, the transfer can not be stopped on any legal grounds.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
European SuperLeague a la NBA is the most sensible way forward to me, we have 10-12 clubs being global franchises already and a few others may benefit from this sort of reclassification by inviting adequate investors. I find strange @JPRouve putting Juve into the sugar daddies clubs in 2017: they have the same owners since the 1920s and are self-sustained since the early 1990s. If any, they are the (almost) perfect combination of business acumen and results on the pitch.

JPRouve

Scout
European SuperLeague a la NBA is the most sensible way forward to me, we have 10-12 clubs being global franchises already and a few others may benefit from this sort of reclassification by inviting adequate investors. I find strange @JPRouve putting Juve into the sugar daddies clubs in 2017: they have the same owners since the 1920s and are self-sustained since the early 1990s. If any, they are the (almost) perfect combination of business acumen and results on the pitch.
I didn't, I put them into the sugar daddies of the past.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The main problem I see is the inflated commercial deals. Instead of just pumping money they will buy the rights of the Stadium Name are things like that for crazy money. What could you do against this? There is no way to check what a free market actor would pay for it. If you want to estimate it you will get 10 estimates from 10 persons. There is other ways around this too.
I think it would be simpler if stricter conditions were set. FX, a percentage of the highest that a club in a given league gets from TV+competition and prize money sets the ceiling for how much money can be spent on transfer fees by any clubs in that league. Anyone brought in excess of that ceiling will not be allowed to register for competitions. That way, sugar daddies at smaller clubs can still pump in money to grow competitive, but can't get ridiculous.

Will Absolute

And in the end that is good news for our club. If FFP is governed correctly, that put us in a stronger position.
For years UEFA have accepted the bogus commercial deals which grossly inflate PSG's earnings. The same is true for Manchester City.

It'll be difficult for UEFA to do a volte-face on that policy. What's needed is for other top clubs to show solidarity with Barca and force UEFA to properly enforce their own rules. United have a lot to gain and should take the lead. I don't see it happening though.

JPRouve

Scout
Sounds reasonable enough. I would cap it at 5 years though and perhaps only 10% above highest budget.

Also, as it is now, improvements to academies and infrastructure should be exempt from the calculations.
5 years seems good but I wouldn't allow them to go above, they should be limited at half of the budget or around that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In terms of wages they would have got them off the books but in terms of actual paying of transfer fees. I don't think it would have made much, if any difference at all, as majority of their players were released rather than sold.

However, my question around them is how can they be involved in a battle for Mbappe? They can't even get bums on seats for their games, how are they affording all these transfers? Dodgy sponsorship dealings.
That's a convenient lie. Firstly, sponsorship is only a small proportion of revenues, and secondly City's sponsorship strategy mirrors that of United's - taking advantage of stupid companies from across the globe to associate themselves with a global, loved "brand". They have sponsorship deals with the likes of Chinese energy companies to Bermudian mobile networks. That's not dodgy that's just a ruthless commercial acquisition strategy with a lot of investment supporting it. The only way your point would hold true if a disproportionate amount of sponsorship deals came from government-funded ME companies...but they don't.

Noc-Z

ffs
Surely it's not up to La Liga to impose FFP on this. They've got no grounds to refuse payment. Neymars lawyers arrived to pay the buy-out clause on Neymars behalf. I assume, in full. So it should be accepted. The details of where that money is coming from etc. are not really La Ligas concern. How do they know PSG don't plan to sell 4 players at £50M each to fund this? It's not up to them to police it. What access do they have to PSG accounts, how do they know it would break FFP? If FIFA want to investigate the deal or PSGs finances (and they will) at a later date, that's up to them. But La Liga just look like brats.

tom33

This is all pretty crazy. Could you imagine the Premier League fighting our corner if it was us trying to buy him?! Shows you where the balance of power really lies in their respective countries.

RedCurry

I wouldnt mind us paying that money for him.
Absolutely. He's about to hit his prime. Players like him are priceless.

Although I can already imagine the Spurs fans telling us how he would not be able start for them ahead of Son.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Hang on, didn't you sell a piece of land from the training ground to Madrid city council for £500mil that was worth 20mil?
And we got a penalty to give the money back. Anyway I don't see how can be compared.A dodgy deal for a piece of land,which price can be debatable.An independent agency valued in 11m€ and we got 22.
We are not saints but the matter here and the trascendence for football is in another level.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I didn't, I put them into the sugar daddies of the past.
Ok then but football was local in the past, the Agnelli family used a football club to portray their FIAT community values (work, discipline, ambition) among their workers migrating to Turin and their families in Southern Italy. Their global sport business was and still is Scuderia Ferrari. I mean, if you want to compare wealth, Juventus owners' Exor is top 3 in the 2017 football world but Exor actually do not give a feck about football, no practical interest any more.

Nanook

That's a convenient lie. Firstly, sponsorship is only a small proportion of revenues, and secondly City's sponsorship strategy mirrors that of United's - taking advantage of stupid companies from across the globe to associate themselves with a global, loved "brand". They have sponsorship deals with the likes of Chinese energy companies to Bermudian mobile networks. That's not dodgy that's just a ruthless commercial acquisition strategy with a lot of investment supporting it. The only way your point would hold true if a disproportionate amount of sponsorship deals came from government-funded ME companies...but they don't.
It's difficult to keep track of a lot of these smaller sponsors but it's very likely City are making tens of millions from middle eastern sponsors. They were paid £5m for losing the FA cup final in 2013 from a sponsor from the Middle East.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ster-city-ffp-image-right-deals-a7621641.html

Their commercial revenue is also considerably larger than Chelsea's, Liverpool's and Arsenal's which is very odd.

Fully Fledged

This is all pretty crazy. Could you imagine the Premier League fighting our corner if it was us trying to buy him?! Shows you where the balance of power really lies in their respective countries.
This would be a big coupe for French football and put them firmly on the table as serious players.

prtk0811

Every one knows oil clubs use loop holes in the system to pump money in the club.

Fully Fledged

It's difficult to keep track of a lot of these smaller sponsors but it's very likely City are making tens of millions from middle eastern sponsors. They were paid £5m for losing the FA cup final in 2013 from a sponsor from the Middle East.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ster-city-ffp-image-right-deals-a7621641.html

Their commercial revenue is also considerably larger than Chelsea's, Liverpool's and Arsenal's which is very odd.
City were furious when Uefa deemed them in breach – a judgement which in part has contributed to fans’ refusal to acknowledge the Champions League anthem, to this day
:lol:
City fans are really crazy.

red thru&thru

So, you're saying City can match United for overall revenue? And you can break down their sponsorship deals and amounts?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I would personally find it much more of an interesting challenge to propel the French league into the top tier of European football than to play second fiddle for a team that's won two trebles in 6 years. Whether that's possible or not, I dunno, but he already knows that anything he's achieved with Barcelona, they could achieve without him. That's not a very satisfying career for me.

Success is great but autonomy, influence and legacy are more important than it. A french team has never reached the pinnacle of European football and it's a very achievable goal for him to drive PSG to that historic achievement. Financial doping muddies the waters but many of the great teams, from di Stefano's Madrid to Baresi's Milan, achieved historic success by securing the best players in the world with the help of wealthy, corrupt politicians.
Agree with the second part but this first part is a very romanticized version of what's happening I think. The whole "I want to be the best, by running from the shadow of the best" doesn't fit the script. Going also in the non-competitive league. That's not something that greatest players do, or have done in the past. It was their aim to play in the best team possible without fear that they will be overshadowed by someone else on that team or in that same league. And they have built their legacies going in the teams where their greatness would be tested under much heavier circumstances during the whole season.

Nobody can know his motives, but the timing of the transfer which is after 31st July so he asked Barca for loyalty bonus, all the money involved in it, going into practically one team league and even more glamorous city sounds to me like an easier, more wealthy way to spend your football years.

And make no mistake, when you see such reasons, it would be pure hypocrisy to say it would be easy to say no. I'm just not buying the whole wanna build the legacy thing.

Revan

Assumptionman
Except EPL teams make way more money. So much of PSG's revenue comes via sponsorship that what the clubs are really asking is a deeper look into if these are even close to market value.
Only United makes more money than PSG from EPL clubs.

Neymar would have the right to buyout his contract if he had completed 3 years of his contract. I don't know if any ruling that says PSG can just buy out his contract - but you'll have to show me it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

Sending the money to Neymar is certainly an option, and possibly they have already done that, but I wouldn't think it's easy.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/buy-out-clauses-how-they-work-spanish-football/2
Yep, he has to buy it. He probably has enough money to buy his contract though (considering how much money he and his father gets payed), and then PSG can give him back those money on wages.

Clubs have agreed to not use that clause, but clubs have also agree to not be twats. Barca here are being twats.

tom33

This would be a big coupe for French football and put them firmly on the table as serious players.
Of course it would, and I'm not saying I don't understand why they'd be keen for it to happen (or not happen in La Liga's case), but to actually get involved seems a bit unusual.

Revan

Assumptionman
So, you're saying City can match United for overall revenue? And you can break down their sponsorship deals and amounts?
He's not saying that. City's revenue is more than 100m less than United's, despite that they played in UCL and finished higher than us in the league (which would make the difference from tickets). So clearly, we make so much more money than them on sponsorship deals, but they make a lot of money from them too.

JPRouve

Scout
Ok then but football was local in the past, the Agnelli family used a football club to portray their FIAT community values (work, discipline, ambition) among their workers migrating to Turin and their families in Southern Italy. Their global sport business was and still is Scuderia Ferrari. I mean, if you want to compare wealth, Juventus owners' Exor is top 3 in the 2017 football world but Exor actually do not give a feck about football, no practical interest any more.
I agree with everything you say but we both know that it's the base of Juventus current notoriety, that's how they built their history. I'm not among the people who thinks that it's bad and I'm not criticizing Juventus, I'm just saying that a club like Juventus wouldn't have been the same without it and in my opinion we need to give the same opportunity to other clubs to do it but in a controlled environment while others vilify sugar daddies and their clubs.

idmanager

Of course it would, and I'm not saying I don't understand why they'd be keen for it to happen (or not happen in La Liga's case), but to actually get involved seems a bit unusual.
Its completely sensible for the French association to get involved. This way it doesn't get limited to a battle with 1 club, rather with a whole association if/when it goes to UEFA/FIFA.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yep, he has to buy it. He probably has enough money to buy his contract though (considering how much money he and his father gets payed), and then PSG can give him back those money on wages.

Clubs have agreed to not use that clause, but clubs have also agree to not be twats. Barca here are being twats.
He has to buy what? Buy out his contract or buy the release clause.

The Webster ruling doesn't apply because he isn't 3 years into his contract, he signed a new contract at Christmas (I think).

He could probably buy his release clause, but as we've already seen, that has got lots of hoops to jump through. It's not a quick thing.

red thru&thru

He's not saying that. City's revenue is more than 100m less than United's, despite that they played in UCL and finished higher than us in the league (which would make the difference from tickets). So clearly, we make so much more money than them on sponsorship deals, but they make a lot of money from them too.
Of course, they make the money. They're in the top 10 clubs who do. I'm just querying, how they can spend more than us and they earn less than us? Especially when two big revenues, match day attendance and player sales, are a lot lower than United's.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Does anybody know what the general consensus amongst PSG fans is on this transfer?
I'd imagine the best majority would be for it regardless of the fee.
Simply excited by the prospect of signing him. :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
He has to buy what? Buy out his contract or buy the release clause.

The Webster ruling doesn't apply because he isn't 3 years into his contract, he signed a new contract at Christmas (I think).

He could probably buy his release clause, but as we've already seen, that has got lots of hoops to jump through. It's not a quick thing.
Really? I didn't know that, so yep, you're right, he cannot do it. I thought that he is on his original contract or so.

So, I guess the only option is to throw La Liga at court for not accepting the buyout clause when they did before for Herrera, Martinez and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.