Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm surprised at how well he's coming across in these interviews. I'd thought he'd come off a bit arrogant and full of himself, but he seems quite level headed and just a nice guy. I'm already warming to him.

Regarding José's comment, personally I'm hoping he starts Pogba and subs him off around the hour mark if he's not fit enough for the whole match rather than bringing him on as a sub. I can't wait to see him back in a Utd shirt at OT.

santeria13

Sublemon
Here's the big difference: Ronaldo was already at the top when he went into self-promotion mode. He had nothing to prove at that point. He exploded in 2007, carried through in 2008 and only started his narcissistic media appearances after his Madrid transfer.

George Best was not a top player for long. His lifestyle got the better of him. People forget how fast he went down that spiral after asserting himself as the best.

Messi has nothing to prove to anyone. Besides, he seems to be slightly autistic.

But the thing about all those guys is that they timed it perfectly. They became champions, then they allowed themselves to do whatever they fancied.

It's not the lifestyle as in drinking and partying. He's not a Brazilian, he should be fine. It's how he carries himself. He is very, very, very flashy.
Pogba is also on the top. For a 23 year old, he is immense and is probably the best midfielder in the world for his current age, alongside Veratti. Situations such as Depay promoting himself here and there as if he had already made it because of one standout season in the dutch league is the only time such a thing should be complained about IMO.

Couldn't give a flying feck if he is flashy or is showing off. As long as he commits himself to the team and gives it his all on this side of things, who cares what he does in his private life.

Beckham also did a lot of self promotion from an early age, despite not being the stand out player in our team, league or world at that point. Your argument makes absolutely no sense. If you don't like his personality or the way he shows off outside of the pitch that is a different matter. But to suggest it will certainly hamper and affect his performance on the pitch in a negative way is really just your reaction to not liking the guy. Especially when you consider what he has already achieved alongside his self promotion.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Here's the big difference: Ronaldo was already at the top when he went into self-promotion mode. He had nothing to prove at that point. He exploded in 2007, carried through in 2008 and only started his narcissistic media appearances after his Madrid transfer.

George Best was not a top player for long. His lifestyle got the better of him. People forget how fast he went down that spiral after asserting himself as the best.

Messi has nothing to prove to anyone. Besides, he seems to be slightly autistic.

But the thing about all those guys is that they timed it perfectly. They became champions, then they allowed themselves to do whatever they fancied.

It's not the lifestyle as in drinking and partying. He's not a Brazilian, he should be fine. It's how he carries himself. He is very, very, very flashy.
Dude in what era are you living in? Most of these top players are brand names and have things going outside the pitch such as marketing and commercial duties. They sponsors prop them up, become icon and they get used to mixing up all their commitments, be it on the pitch or social platform.

It didn't start with Pogba as most top players popular enough are brands, so your concerns are coming out a bit of a left field right now.

LouisDanGaal

Erm. Ronaldo? People have different mentalities. If he is that determined to become the best in the world, no amount of self promotion will stop him from doing it.

Some players, ala Depay, do not seem to have this kind of mentality. As for if Pogba can handle it, we shall see. But so far, nothing has pointed to the fact that what he does off the pitch is affecting his development.
The self promotion has absolutely nothing to do with football. Its nothing. Its genuinely the same as thinking which soap opera footballers watch has an impact.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Beckham also did a lot of self promotion from an early age, despite not being the stand out player in our team, league or world at that point. Your argument makes absolutely no sense. If you don't like his personality or the way he shows off outside of the pitch that is a different matter. But to suggest it will certainly hamper and affect his performance on the pitch in a negative way is really just your reaction to not liking the guy. Especially when you consider what he has already achieved alongside his self promotion.
And Giggs, actually, probably even more than Beckham at the beginning of their careers. He wasn't called the new George Best only for his quick feet.

MounchesterUtd

If you think Pogba's branding is getting out of hand, consider how LeBron was branded as the 'chosen one' and a future GOAT before he even played a minute of NBA basketball. I can't fault the players for maximising their income as they only have a limited period where they get to command big money. As for whether it affects the players' mentalities, it really depends on the player. Certainly didn't affect Beckham and Ronaldo.

Bwuk

Pogba is at the top as well. He'd walk into any team in world football, and he's the most expensive player in the world.

I don't care if he's flashy, as long as he produces on the pitch. Floyd Mayweather is a flash c*nt but he's one of the GOAT boxers.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He comes across as a lovely person in every interview I've seen. Nothing at all how I imagined him. It's like he's still an innocent child, loving and enjoying life without any worries, having returned "home". That's another thing, I didn't think United had as big an impact on him and his families life as it seemingly has done.

Though, judging by that interview, today is the perfect embodiment of the circle of life. We welcome Pogba back home, but we say goodbye to the dab. RIP dab

Ferguson

SAF got rid of Beckham because he thought the flashiness would affect his football negatively.

But in his book, SAF praised Beckham for how he maintained his fitness at the highest level throughout his career.

I took that as a tacit admission that he was wrong about Becks.

Worrying that being a brand will destroy the footballer has been proven wrong in my opinion. If anything it motivates the players more since it earns them millions.

In the old days the lifestyle away from the pitch meant alcoholism and drugs and prostitutes. That still happens of course, but guys like Cristiano Ronaldo are teetotallers who won't spend the night with their supermodel girlfriends before a match. So flashy modern footballers can't be judged simply by their brand image as fitting into the old categories of how a footballer behaves.

I see nothing but professionalism out of Pogba

EyeInTheSky

World class with World class. It doesn't get much better than this boys. Yet another slap in the face for those who said that he "didn't care about the club and is only here because Madrid wouldn't pay the fee". Even in past interviews while playing for Juventus he still said that he Loves United and he hoped to come back some day.

edit: Damn Pogba is towering over Henry it seems and is built like a beast!

Last edited:

Ole90+3

Pogba has a similar character to Evra. The way he call hims 'Uncle Pat' indicates a huge amount of respect, and we all know how much Pat love United and how high a pedestal he puts the club on. I'd say that this played a huge part in Pogba coming back.

How long has it been since we had characters like him and Ibra in the squad?

Evra but before that then maybe Cantona and Ince?

Some change from the bright spark of Rooney and Carrick.....

vanderpants

The coral betting website is saying pogba is out for 2 weeks due to a calf injury picked up in training yesterday, my mate just sent me a pick of it, I take it this is Bs?

Bosws87

The coral betting website is saying pogba is out for 2 weeks due to a calf injury picked up in training yesterday, my mate just sent me a pick of it, I take it this is Bs?
You can bet on him to score tonight on the same website, someones taking the piss!

SirAF

Ageist
Obviously. Would be all over the news if true.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
SAF got rid of Beckham because he thought the flashiness would affect his football negatively.

But in his book, SAF praised Beckham for how he maintained his fitness at the highest level throughout his career.

Worrying that being a brand will destroy the footballer has been proven wrong in my opinion. If anything it motivates the players more since it earns them millions.

In the old days the lifestyle away from the pitch meant alcoholism and drugs and prostitutes. That still happens of course, but guys like Cristiano Ronaldo are teetotallers who won't spend the night with their supermodel girlfriends before a match. So flashy modern footballers can't be judged simply by their brand image as fitting into the old categories of how a footballer behaves.

Yup. Despite all the media attention and what not, Beckham maintained and incredibly high level of professionalism and work-ethic throughout his career.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

What I said, and what people might, understandably have misunderstood is that for Pogba to reach his dream of becoming the ballon d'or, which is truly hard, he'd have to rid himself of all the distractions. Ballon d'ors only come to those who dedicate themselves entirely to their craft. Even more than that. It requires extreme consistency over a short period of time.

Not saying I don't like him nor that I have a personal problem with the flashy stuff. Just that he has to adjust his lifestyle if he wants to reach that particular objective.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Thats why they call him Paul Pogba,
he's back, he's back!

roykeane19

I`m happy we got Pogba, but its very cringey how everyone believes, he has some special affinity for us, the only reason he came here, despite us having no CL, and despite Juventus having a better team than ours, is only for the wages

In Italia football, i guess he was probably on max 90k a week, here if the figures are to be believed he gets 250 - 300k

Andy_Cole

I`m happy we got Pogba, but its very cringey how everyone believes, he has some special affinity for us, the only reason he came here, despite us having no CL, and despite Juventus having a better team than ours, is only for the wages

In Italia football, i guess he was probably on max 90k a week, here if the figures are to be believed he gets 250 - 300k
feck off.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

I'm sure Madrid could have offered him a handsome sum themselves.

mu4c_20le

Can someoone post a clip or gif of Old Trafford announcing his name and crowd reaction? missed it thanks to traffic

HabeasC

Is he playing as the deepest CM? That's his worst MF position...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Is he playing as the deepest CM? That's his worst MF position...
Fellaini played a little 1-2 with Martial on the left and Pogba covered him. They haven't had a chance to switch back since.

HabeasC

Fellaini played a little 1-2 with Martial on the left and Pogba covered him. They haven't had a chance to switch back since.
The deepest CM position is also Fellaini's worst position. Will be interesting to see how they switch it up and go forwards in the season.

Tiber

So this is what a top class CM is like? Feel like I haven't seen one since 2008

Traub

Seems to always be looking for the forward pass which is nice for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.