Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ice-bionic red

Sadly this is how people will judge a positive performance from him. With goals or assists (or both). It’s the price tag. He’s in the price range of a top centre forward so he’ll always be judged on goals or assists even though he plays in midfield.

Brilliant performance with an outstanding first goal. Love his passing left to right though. Just keep it going Paul

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is the level we need consistently. Nobody can doubt his ability there’s just no point having it if it’s seen as sporadically as last two years.
Sporadic is far from the fairest word to describe 2 years. He needs better players around him, the expectations on him are unrealistic. He’s two levels above the rest of his players. Except the goalie perhaps, but he’s hardly going to link with him on the pitch.

SER19

Sporadic is far from the fairest word to describe 2 years. He needs better players around him, the expectations on him are unrealistic. He’s two levels above the rest of his players. Except the goalie perhaps, but he’s hardly going to link with him on the pitch.
He’s too good to have delivered the level he has shown many many times in the last two years. Doesn’t matter if its Tony pulis managing him in a team of gazzas drinking buddies, he has shown up to games after being good and literally strolled, misplaced passes and looked not remotely interested.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Really poor......and decent ?

Yeah sure.
Brighton...and last night?

Also could you not approach this in a friendlier way? Why does everyone that disagrees with something do it in a blunt arsey way with zero explanation as to their view and no counter point?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yea, he was ‘decent’ last night. FFS, I hate this retort, but you should probably go and support a different team, as this one will not give you any joy at all.

Fecking ridiculous to imply Pogba was anywhere near average last night.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yea, he was ‘decent’ last night. FFS, I hate this retort, but you should probably go and support a different team, as this one will not give you any joy at all.

Fecking ridiculous to imply Pogba was anywhere near average last night.
I'm not sure if you're saying I'm suggesting he was average or you mean the other guy? Because decent means average by the dictionary but very good in everyday use.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Also could you not approach this in a friendlier way? Why does everyone that disagrees with something do it in a blunt arsey way with zero explanation as to their view and no counter point?
It's hardly fair to describe Brighton as really poor on one hand and last night as decent on the other.

To my mind he was poor against Brighton, very subdued against Tottenham and excellent against Leicester, Burnley, Watford and Young Boys.

Him and Shaw have been our best players so far this season by a distance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's hardly fair to describe Brighton as really poor on one hand and last night as decent on the other.

To my mind he was poor against Brighton, very subdued against Tottenham and excellent against Leicester, Burnley, Watford and Young Boys.

Him and Shaw have been our best players so far this season by a distance.
Well Brighton was a shit show and last night was very good.
Everyone I know uses decent as very good in real life.
I thought it'd as least be clear from suggesting an average overall score is correct.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not sure if you're saying I'm suggesting he was average or you mean the other guy? Because decent means average by the dictionary but very good in everyday use.
I think you can probably afford to, grudgingly, clearly, call Pogba ‘very good’ yesterday.

‘Decent performance’ is an extremely reserved compliment as we both know, doesn’t portray a MOTM display at all. If that’s the best you can manage on a good day, then it’s obvious where you stand on Pogba.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think you can probably afford to, grudgingly, clearly, call Pogba ‘very good’ yesterday.

‘Decent performance’ is an extremely reserved compliment as we both know, doesn’t portray a MOTM display at all. If that’s the best you can manage on a good day, then it’s obvious where you stand on Pogba.
Mate, I've literally just said he was very good and that's what decent means to anyone in the North of England. I've praised him in this very thread for last night.

I also rated him an 8 fwiw.

Christ, it's painful in these threads these days.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Well Brighton was a shit show and last night was very good.
Everyone I know uses decent as very good in real life.
I thought it'd as least be clear from suggesting an average overall score is correct.
Shit show.....to very good ?

Again if your going to scale it one way then I'd suggest last nights performance was as worthy of exaggeration, but very good is apparently the other end of the scale to shit show for you.

The whole team was awful vs Brighton. Everyone. He wasn't the worst. He was poor though. Aside from that he had a subdued game and four excellent or even better, decent, games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Shit show.....to very good ?

Again if your going to scale it one way then I'd suggest last nights performance was as worthy of exaggeration, but very good is apparently the other end of the scale to shit show for you.
You can't be serious. Are you really arguing my scale of shit show to very good doesn't sufficiently meet your criteria for scales?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Mate, I've literally just said he was very good and that's what decent means to anyone in the North of England. I've praised him in this very thread for last night.

I also rated him an 8 fwiw.

Christ, it's painful in these threads these days.
It's painful because clearly there's a begrudgingness on your part to give credit but clearly your quick to criticise. You can claim dialect but I'm from Manchester myself. Decent is decent. It's alright. If I was describing something like an around the world cruise, as decent, it would be tongue in cheek probably with a bit of a grin. I wouldn't describe it that way without the context of expression. In writing I would chose a different word naturally. Decent is decent. It's alright. Fine.

A shit show....that's the same as 'alright' then ? Sometimes I describe things that were poor as 'alright'. I'm from the North.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's painful because clearly there's a begrudgingness on your part to give credit but clearly your quick to criticise. You can claim dialect but I'm from Manchester myself. Decent is decent. It's alright. If I was describing something like an around the world cruise, as decent, it would be tongue in cheek probably with a bit of a grin. I wouldn't describe it that way without the context of expression. In writing I would chose a different word naturally. Decent is decent. It's alright. Fine.

A shit show....that's the same as 'alright' then ? Sometimes I describe things that were poor as 'alright'. I'm from the North.
There's zero 'begrudgingness'. You're just making that up. I praised him in this thread. Go back and find it ffs.
You know someone is desperate to make a point when they're getting into detail about definitions, specially when I told you I meant very good. Sorry that doesn't quite emphasise it enough for your liking.

Obviously don't get out much if you've never heard someone call something that's very good 'decent'.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
5.6 sounds about right this season, better than average but he could provide so much more. Here's hoping he does, regularly.

On the subject of scales I find it interesting we've been conditioned to think that on a scale out of ten six is more like average where five looks closer to shit, despite being in the middle. We should rank things out of 11, Spinal Tap-style, so we have a definitive midpoint without using decimals like we tend to do with scales out of five.

I'll leave the northern dialect discussion where it is, as I'm off topic enough as it is.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
There's zero 'begrudgingness'. You're just making that up. I praised him in this thread. Go back and find it ffs.
You know someone is desperate to make a point when they're getting into detail about definitions, specially when I told you I meant very good. Sorry that doesn't quite emphasise it enough for your liking.

Obviously don't get out much if you've never heard someone call something that's very good 'decent'.
"I'm not sure if you're saying I'm suggesting he was average or you mean the other guy? Because decent means average by the dictionary but very good in everyday use"

You started with definitions :lol::lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
"I'm not sure if you're saying I'm suggesting he was average or you mean the other guy? Because decent means average by the dictionary but very good in everyday use"

You started with definitions :lol::lol:
You brought it up and continued after I'd already said what was meant. Please stop.

Posh Red

Not really. 5/10 is average . He's been really poor in some and decent in others. Sounds about right I reckon.
Fair enough. I haven't used the rating system tbh but to my mind he's had a couple of bad games and three or four very good ones so maybe at most a seven so far? I know it's early days but I'll stick my neck out and predict he will go on to be our player of the season this year. Would be a nice change from it being our goal keeper.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
he's a killer pass player, that's why he sometimes take a while to release the ball. He plays with his head up and is looking for runs.

IF he gets the runs he releases a pass, and generally a good one. Think the ball to Shaw before the penalty.

A lot of the time he has the ball and looks up for forward movement or somebody to pass too; usually that's our weakness and then he gets robbed. Yes ideally he needs to realise quicker the run isn't coming and then to make a safer pass, but that's not easy to change the way you play.

The fact is we need more runs and quicker, and he won't take so long.

Fantastic first goal, good penalty and a beautiful carry up the pitch and released the ball at the right time for Martial. He's our best player and without him we'd struggle. Let's hope we can keep him happy here as it'll be Barca/Madrid's gain, and our loss.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fair enough. I haven't used the rating system tbh but to my mind he's had a couple of bad games and three or four very good ones so maybe at most a seven so far? I know it's early days but I'll stick my neck out and predict he will go on to be our player of the season this year. Would be a nice change from it being our goal keeper.
Depends how you use the scale I guess. Think there was actually a thread on that at one point. Personally I use the full scale with 5 being average while others use 6 and I'm sure some thought 7 was average with 5 being poor.

I'd love it if he found consistency this season. He's a difference maker for sure and when he plays with more intensity others do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Without trawling through your post history, would it be fair of me to assume that you don’t typically use ‘decent performance’ for other players when you feel they had a ‘very good’ game? Or am I being presumptuous?

Posh Red

Depends how you use the scale I guess. Think there was actually a thread on that at one point. Personally I use the full scale with 5 being average while others use 6 and I'm sure some thought 7 was average with 5 being poor.

I'd love it if he found consistency this season. He's a difference maker for sure and when he plays with more intensity others do.
I would say seven is a performance that I would be happy with, and anything more is a bonus. Who do you have as our best player this season so far out of interest?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I would say seven is a performance that I would be happy with, and anything more is a bonus. Who do you have as our best player this season so far out of interest?
I can't work out how to check now without looking through every thread? But I actually looked yesterday when I voted and I think Shaw was top. I do think he has been the most consistent as well.
Who's yours? Pogba?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think apart from the Brighton game he's had a good start to the season. His passing range really is excellent, his goal was the best one I think he's scored for us. If he could get over any issues he has with Mourinho, and stop bad mouthing him in the press, he really could be a good captain here. Seems to love passing to Shaw, bit reminiscent of when Rooney would constantly give it to Valencia.

Mcking

Think apart from the Brighton game he's had a good start to the season. His passing range really is excellent, his goal was the best one I think he's scored for us. If he could get over any issues he has with Mourinho, and stop bad mouthing him in the press, he really could be a good captain here. Seems to love passing to Shaw, bit reminiscent of when Rooney would constantly give it to Valencia.
He was one of the best of a bad bunch against Brighton.

Posh Red

I can't work out how to check now without looking through every thread? But I actually looked yesterday when I voted and I think Shaw was top. I do think he has been the most consistent as well.
Who's yours? Pogba?
It would be close between the two, but I'd say Pogba would edge it very slightly after last nights game. Before that, I'd have definitely said Shaw.

Rolaholic

Still too flashy for my liking,I'd still replace him with Milinkovic-Savic or Thiago any day of the week...

Am I doing it right?
Bad mouthing him? You lot just love lapping up whatever clickbait bs the press feed you don't you

laughtersassassin

For someone who is constantly labeled as inconsistent himself and Shaw have been our most consistent and best players this season.

Honestly, sometimes it seems the players labeled as consistent are just the ones that aren't that good so their lows are never too far away from their highs.

laughtersassassin

Still too flashy for my liking,I'd still replace him with Milinkovic-Savic or Thiago any day of the week...

Am I doing it right?

Bad mouthing him? You lot just love lapping up whatever clickbait bs the press feed you don't you

This is one terrible take. The grass isn't always greener and certainly, SMS is not an eighth as good as Pogba is at center mid.

Edit: Just saw the white text

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Am I doing it right?

I'm not "lapping up" whatever they "feed me". In fact, I'm one of the posters here who tends to ignore media nonsense, harder to do so when it's been so blatant.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He’s too good to have delivered the level he has shown many many times in the last two years. Doesn’t matter if its Tony pulis managing him in a team of gazzas drinking buddies, he has shown up to games after being good and literally strolled, misplaced passes and looked not remotely interested.
There was seriously something wrong with our coaching in the past two year. The new addition of McKenna(?) and Carrick this season brought in new training regime. And you can see from defense to midfield, the improved teamwork and passing quality.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When I'm unhappy with Pogba's performances I'm not shy to say it, so if I didn't praise him when he's decisive for us that would be Souness like.

His strike to open the scoring came out of nothing and changed the whole momentum of the game. Those are the moments of magic Pogba was purchased to produce. After spending the first half an hour on the back foot Pogba swung his left foot at the ball and swung the game in our favour.

When you're under pressure you need your big players to step forward. Pogba did that last night and he deserves acknowledgement for it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Unless I missed something, I don't think he's even started doing it yet.

RedCurry

Commentator made a point last night that it’s a settling technique, so that he has as much time as he wants and can take the kick whenever he feels ready. Not sure if that is the reason, or if the commentator was just trying to justify it.
But the issue seems to be that the goalkeepers are finding it easy to guess where he is going to go and there isn't enough power in the shot which is going to ultimately cost us at some point. You either blast the ball like Kane, Vardy, Milner or you wait for the keeper to dive before shooting like Hazard, Lewandowski, Balotelli. Pogba's penalties are neither this nor that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You brought it up and continued after I'd already said what was meant. Please stop.
Posts are all there...we questioned your bias with regards Pogba's performances......you started harping on about definitions....please stop

Tarrou

Is there a player in world football who receives as much scrutiny as Pogba? Every performance is debated in great detail not to mention all the off-field stuff he gets shit for, such as having the audacity to like getting his hair cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.