g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Paul Pogba image 6

Paul Pogba France flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If anything, I would prefer him to be less proficient at keepie uppies. He's got a habit of doing them in games where he'd be better off bringing the ball down immediately instead. If keepie uppies were a good measure of technical ability then freestylers wouldn't be relying on youtube clicks to earn a living.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If anything, I would prefer him to be less proficient at keepie uppies. He's got a habit of doing them in games where he'd be better off bringing the ball down immediately instead. If keepie uppies were a good measure of technical ability then freestylers wouldn't be relying on youtube clicks to earn a living.
Him and Shaw have been our best players so far this season, the two who have performed and shown the most passion.

It's dross like Lukaku, putting in woeful performances with no workrate that's been the issue. Matics form dropping off a cliff. Sanchez having no form at all and the back four being a shambles.

Pogba and Shaw have been good.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Interesting when you watch clips from Bayern and Real training though right. Its certainly is a good measure of technical ability of being able to control a ball. Its very apparent when you watch certain players in in game situations who practices such things and who doesnt, or who isnt very good at it should I say

Of course as we all know haveing great technical abolity doesnt make you a good footballer though. Physical and mental attributes are also key, as well as other technical abilities not involving control

Moonred

Him and Shaw have been our best players so far this season, the two who have performed and shown the most passion.

It's dross like Lukaku, putting in woeful performances with no workrate that's been the issue. Matics form dropping off a cliff. Sanchez having no form at all and the back four being a shambles.

Pogba and Shaw have been good.
Not really relevant.

POF

I think my favourite Paul Pogba is the one in a two, where he's a deep lying playmaker, like the one we saw for France and like the one we saw against Newcastle

The belief is that if you play him in a 3 you get performances like the one away to City but I just dont think that comes naturally to him.
Couldn't agree more. Pogba was outstanding in the second half against Newcastle. He absolutely dominated the game, controlled the middle of the pitch offensively and defensively and was far more effective when he broke forward because he could do it in a selective way.

His passing range was superb because by playing a deeper role, he had options ahead of him. Pogba is a multi faceted player but in my opinion he plays his best where there is space. When you play away against top teams, that will be a more advanced position but in games where you will dominate possession forcing the opposition back, that space is in central midfield.

If United want to be a top side, a team that dominates the football in the really big games, then Pogba has to play an orthodox central midfield role.

Why did Pogba play so well in central midfield against Newcastle and so poorly in a similar position in the past? To me it is simply that he decided that he wanted to do it. If he could play with that mentality every game he would be one of the all time great central midfield players.

If you watch just about any top player messing around in training/warm ups their ball control is exemplary. It's by no means a guarantee of being a good footballer but the rest of the game becomes that bit easier if the ball always does what you want it to do.

red4ever 79

100% this and trying to constantly shield the ball. What's all this about ?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Why did Pogba play so well in central midfield against Newcastle and so poorly in a similar position in the past? To me it is simply that he decided that he wanted to do it. If he could play with that mentality every game he would be one of the all time great central midfield players.
While I do agree that there is some element of mentality difference there (as seen by him being good in the first half when the rest of the team were struggling), the biggest difference was the team as a whole were playing much more attacking football in the second half. Pogba himself recently said that he wants the team to attack more (which many wrongly mistook as him wanting to play a more offensive position himself), and it's always obvious that he is looking for more runners and movement in front and around him. If we provided him that there's no doubt he would become much more consistent. No guarantee he'd be as consistent as we'd like, but he'd certainly be better in that regard than he generally has been for us.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I've never seen Pogba flick the ball up and start juggling it during a game.....I've seen him under pressure with the ball in the air manage to keep it despite having two or three players around him. Beat them and pass the ball on to a team mate.

Really not sure how this is a negative

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
100% this and trying to constantly shield the ball. What's all this about ?
I get the feeling he thinks it shows him controlling the game. Holding the ball and waiting for the perfect moment. But all too often the perfect moment was 5 seconds ago.
He's obviously a brilliant player at his best but he still has the same issues in his game as when he came. I'd take that if he was more consistently closer to his best.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:lol::lol:
Don’t see a relevance to what point that obvious block of text has to do with whatever point the other guy was making.
He was criticising a player who's been one of our two best players and demonstrated effort more often than most of his teammates.

It's a performance thread. Shouldn't need to explain this really

Canagel

Couldn't agree more. Pogba was outstanding in the second half against Newcastle. He absolutely dominated the game, controlled the middle of the pitch offensively and defensively and was far more effective when he broke forward because he could do it in a selective way.

His passing range was superb because by playing a deeper role, he had options ahead of him. Pogba is a multi faceted player but in my opinion he plays his best where there is space. When you play away against top teams, that will be a more advanced position but in games where you will dominate possession forcing the opposition back, that space is in central midfield.

If United want to be a top side, a team that dominates the football in the really big games, then Pogba has to play an orthodox central midfield role.

In this team definitely he has to play CM with lots of attackers in front because he is the only one who can create chances with any sort of consistency. Best that we really play offensive and let him dicate the game from deep.
However once we buy a controlling midfielder in the mould of Carrick etc Pogba should go back to where he was before. Left side of midfield. We will have two creative forces in midfield instead of one and that means Pogba doesn't have to drop deep for the ball.
It really doesn't make sense to play Fellaini/Matic as DM and Pogba LM. How are we supposed to move the ball quickly?

Moonred

He was criticising a player who's been one of our two best players and demonstrated effort more often than most of his teammates.

It's a performance thread. Shouldn't need to explain this really
You can be our best player which Pogba clearly is and can still be criticised for certain things. The fact that you don’t see this nuance is what made you super defensive and hence the irrelevant or inconsequential obvious retort.

cyberman

I've never seen Pogba flick the ball up and start juggling it during a game.....I've seen him under pressure with the ball in the air manage to keep it despite having two or three players around him. Beat them and pass the ball on to a team mate.

Yep, he has one of the best touches in world football for a reason.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Exactly. We do not want Pogba to be less good at ball control ffs!

SATA

I feel Pogba can still improve so much in his game. His maturity, the ability to dicate and dominate the game at his own will because he has the absolute physique and unique ability to do so. I mean, players like Zidane only really came into the peak of his powers at age 28, 29. And i feel Pogba is in that category, his best years are yet to come and we have to make sure we are the club and team to profit from it

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No fan of this?

Dante

Average bang
Yep, that video says it all. Pogba has too much attacking freedom in this system. Mourinho needs to give him instruction to do at least a little bit of defensive work.

hn4manunited

Yep, that video says it all. Pogba has too much attacking freedom in this system. Mourinho needs to give him instruction to do at least a little bit of defensive work.
But that’s exactly what Jose was getting crucified for. Not enough freedom for Paul, shackled, too much defensive duties, Paul needs to be free, etc.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Cool, now find a video of Maradonna doing this....

Pretty similar to how he gave away the ball that led to Germanys goal tonight.
That's not exactly keepie uppies. And are you seriously thinking Pogba was the main reason for that goal??

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maradona is a forward, while Pogba is a midfielder. CMs have far more responsibility on the pitch and their position is critical on both offensive and defensive side.
So midfielder shouldn't be doing that IN TRAINING? My goodness gracious.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He was talking about him doing it in game not in training though.
He was commenting on that training clip, where Pogba did juggling. Then he showed a video of Pogba was getting robbed when trying to shield the ball (not while juggling the ball on the match).

I don't know how it is relevant. But whatever man.

el3mel

He was commenting on that training clip, where Pogba did juggling. Then he showed a video of Pogba was getting robbed when trying to shield the ball (not while juggling the ball on the match).

I don't know how it is relevant. But whatever man.
I meant Pogue comment that you replied to by Maradona clip. He was talking about him doing it in games.

He can do what he want in training of course. Don't think anyone will say otherwise.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I meant Pogue comment that you replied to by Maradona clip. He was talking about him doing it in games.

He can do what he want in training of course. Don't think anyone will say otherwise.
Remind me of his 65 games for us, where Pogba did keepie-uppie.

el3mel

Remind me of his 65 games for us, where Pogba did keepie-uppies.
Well, that's up to Pogue as he's the one who made this point not me. I never said he did/do. All I said is you can't compare forwards to midfielders when it comes to responsibility on the pitch as CM position is more critical.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well, that's up to Pogue as he's the one who made this point not me. I never said he did/do. All I said is you can't compare forwards to midfielders when it comes to responsibility on the pitch as CM position is more critical.
Duh. I 100% agreed with you on that then. It's just why you quoted my post of Maradona juggling on training while making that point, that's a mystery to me.

el3mel

Duh. I 100% agreed with you on that then. It's just why you quoted my post of Maradona juggling on training while making that point, that's a mystery to me.
My point if you want to give an example of a player doing it like Pogba, then he should be a midfielder also, not a forward. That's all.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You'll find examples where Pogba has controlled a ball in the air and flipped it over someone turned and someone else is coming towards him, he's beat them and passed the ball. Not a lot of players would have that ability and would lose the ball or have to head it anywhere.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His power plays in the middle of his own half annoy the feck out of me. It's jncredincr selfish.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some of you guys are absolute buffoons :lol: such an agenda it's unreal.

Every player get's tackled once in a while, that's football. Yes Pogba likes to take the ball when he's got people around him, 9/10 he usually holds them off and rolls passed them. On that occasion you've got to say it was a risky slide tackle but it paid off for the Wolves player.

There was about 10 seconds after that tackle for the team to recover the ball, everybody else failed also.

You have to have players that aren't scared of taking the ball under pressure, otherwise you end up with a bunch of backwards/sideways passing crabs like under LVG.

Status
Not open for further replies.