Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalips

Was this a glimpse of how much better we would be with a ball playing centre back ?
No, because no matter how good they are on the ball they wouldn't be close to Paul Pogba's ability. Pogba was dictating play all over the pitch a CB wouldn't be doing that. No CB in the world has THAT much influence. It was a proper complete midfielder's performance.

gajender

Exactly, Jorginho's role isn't complicated and it would be a waste of Pogba's
Agreed that would be waste of Pogba's immense and unique talent but we could certainly do with somebody similar to Jorginho beside Pogba if we decide to phase out Matic next season.

Ether

1st in sprints and 2nd in distance covered, but the commentators still call him lazy.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
1st in sprints and 2nd in distance covered, but the commentators still call him lazy.
Hasn't got any recognition for his performance this week, or indeed this season, ok that's fine.....but the media shouldn't just jump on him if he doesn't have a great game and ignore him when he's outstanding.

Still a Johny foreigner country England. Steve Macmanaman spent all second half slating Martial and expected him to be subbed. Quite clearly Rashford, as much as I rate him, was having a mare.

VJ1762

Di Marzio has said that Paul gave 'tactical' advice to Jose during half-time. Is this what Jose meant when he said that the players and him had a heart-to-heart talk?

It would be better next time if they had this talk before the match began.

Last edited:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I watched city and pool on the weekend. Pogba has more ability than every player I saw playing. KDB and Aguero the only close ones.

What's getting lost in our current shit streak is his form from world cup to now. He's been excellent.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I watched city and pool on the weekend. Pogba has more ability than every player I saw playing. KDB and Aguero the only close ones.

What's getting lost in our current shit streak is his form from world cup to now. He's been excellent.
I will guess you are referring to ability with the ball. His offball movements are not that good, tbh. Not to mention his positioning.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Guy should be on a roll, not struggling to concentrate.

Funny that twice now this season he's come out and said he's not been good enough at times, yet I mentioned that he's been inconsistent and got hounded on in this very thread. Once was just after he was captain.
Shouldn't take going 2-0 down to Newcastle to make him play better.

laughtersassassin

Guy should be on a roll, not struggling to concentrate.

Funny that twice now this season he's come out and said he's not been good enough at times, yet I mentioned that he's been inconsistent and got hounded on in this very thread. Once was just after he was captain.
Shouldn't take going 2-0 down to Newcastle to make him play better.

Been our best player without a shadow of a doubt. Shaw a close second.

He is in good form our team is in bad form. He is just honest.

Every week he is the only one to look to create. It's a vicious cycle.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Been our best player without a shadow of a doubt. Shaw a close second.

He is in good form our team is in bad form. He is just honest.

Every week he is the only one to look to create. It's a vicious cycle.
He has when he's played well, definitely. He was shocking against Brighton (which he said himself) and poor in a couple of others. My point is solely that he's wildly inconsistent. He's someone that can look better on his own too. You can see it when he wants to play properly, even if others aren't playing well.
Shaw the most consistent this season.

Apokalips

He has when he's played well, definitely. He was shocking against Brighton (which he said himself) and poor in a couple of others. My point is solely that he's wildly inconsistent. He's someone that can look better on his own too. You can see it when he wants to play properly, even if others aren't playing well.
Shaw the most consistent this season.
Difference is, though, expectations of what constitutes a "good" Pogba performance is much higher than a "good" Shaw performance.

Everything Pogba does is scrutinised much more harshly than almost any player in our squad.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Difference is, though, expectations of what constitutes a "good" Pogba performance is much higher than a "good" Shaw performance.

Everything Pogba does is scrutinised much more harshly than almost any player in our squad.
It's not that. It may be more visible because of the position he plays, but all people expect is consistent effort. You can plainly see when it's being put in with a player like him.
He's literally said it about himself this season "My attitude was not right. It has to be a big lesson for us", and now saying he's been distracted from winning the World Cup.

Zoo

He is being honest which should be applauded. He made himself available for the opening game which shows he wants to help.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's not that young but not so old, so he's probably still developing his skillset and mentality. Decision to sign him was best in many years from the club. Instant injection of quality while still in age to learn new things.

He would probably avoid struggling that much with more suitable players around him. My question is if Mourinho ever think about building a team around Pogba. Fred and Pereira could be a good sign but they must play and try bringing back some real chemistry in midfield.

Winning World Cup only proves that he's a big player material. Nothing new in that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's not that. It may be more visible because of the position he plays, but all people expect is consistent effort. You can plainly see when it's being put in with a player like him.
He's literally said it about himself this season "My attitude was not right. It has to be a big lesson for us", and now saying he's been distracted from winning the World Cup.
He was also speaking about the whole team and trying to be a captain by taking the responsibility on himself.

You mention Shaw being more consistent when actually he also had had some poor games defensively the difference is he is scrutinised less

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was also speaking about the whole team and trying to be a captain by taking the responsibility on himself.

You mention Shaw being more consistent when actually he also had had some poor games defensively the difference is he is scrutinised less
That's fine but it was also majorly apparent he was the worst on the pitch.

In other games he's the best on the pitch. The stark contrast is my point and it's nothing to do with one person getting more scrutiny.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Everything Pogba does is scrutinised much more harshly than almost any player in our squad
Without a doubt. I'd say more scrutinised than any player in the PL even

Cassidy

That's fine but it was also majorly apparent he was the worst on the pitch.

In other games he's the best on the pitch. The stark contrast is my point and it's nothing to do with one person getting more scrutiny.
Except he wasnt the worst on the pitch buy hey ho

Web of Bissaka

True.
Put it in different perspective - that means we and football fans in general can see how super talented he is, huge potential, he's that big of a deal.
Big expectations (and thus the harsher criticisms when he didn't deliver consistently) are reserved for great players and potential great players only.

Patrick08

Those stats aren't a true reflection unfortunately. What you need to combine with that is in game intelligence without the ball and certainly he lacks that.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Those stats aren't a true reflection u. Fortunately. What you need to combine with that is in game intelligence without the ball and certainly he lacks that.
But that's not what he said. If you want to argue he is not good enough off the ball sure but you can't say somebody is lazy when he is 1st in sprints and 2nd in distance covered.

Cliche Guevara

But that's not what he said. If you want to argue he is not good enough off the ball sure but you can't say somebody is lazy when he is 1st in sprints and 2nd in distance covered.
I don’t think anyone said he was lazy in that game.

Using stats where he actually put in top effort is bizarre. People could see the effort and contribution being made, which is in stark contrast to other games where he clearly didn’t have the same impact. It’s not also about distance, it’s about intensity and purpose.

All people want is for him to put in maximum effort and concentration in every game. Consistent performances will follow.

He’s clearly an exceptional player and fans just want to see that as often as possible.

Cassidy

Using stats where he actually put in top effort is bizarre. People could see the effort and contribution being made, which is in stark contrast to other games where he clearly didn’t have the same impact. It’s not also about distance, it’s about intensity and purpose.

All people want is for him to put in maximum effort and concentration in every game. Consistent performances will follow.

He’s clearly an exceptional player and fans just want to see that as often as possible.
Hes up there in those stats for United all season

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

That's what we want from all players. Pogba's one of the few players putting effort in at the minute. It's most of the other players that's the issue at the minute

Patrick08

Does it really matter? It's not a distance and speed contest, if he is topping that than it certainly means he wastes much of his energies needlessly without affecting the game while when he needs to put in the intensity without the ball he shows slack Ness. He is late to press, he is second to fight for first and Second balls in the midfield, he doesn't track back as fast as he runs forward, he let's the opposition midfielders run past him and build a good attacking move, he needs a more mobile and solid mid partner who can cover his slack Ness in controlling the play. Wasting energies in runs where he can't affect the game and getting found out defensively and lacking at midfield basics is not very wise.

If he looks like he's still the best player in the team is because he is still the most creative player and better passer in the team where the defense can't pass the ball forwards and a partner like Matic or fellani who keeps passing sideways.

The manager does not play to his strengths we all know that but he does not improve on his deficiencies and put his energies to good use in a more efficient way.

When the level of the game gets high these small little details and lapse of concentration are the difference between winning and loosing and he will be found out in those instances as the other team is also capable of keeping the ball.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Funny video: Their statistics actually show there is no significant difference with Pogba in a 4-3-3 vs a 4-2-3-1/3-4-3, yet they claim it as a reinforcement of the intuitive assumption that United is best with him in a 4-3-3.
I think my favourite Paul Pogba is the one in a two, where he's a deep lying playmaker, like the one we saw for France and like the one we saw against Newcastle

The belief is that if you play him in a 3 you get performances like the one away to City but I just dont think that comes naturally to him.

Johan07

I think my favourite Paul Pogba is the one in a two, where he's a deep lying playmaker, like the one we saw for France and like the one we saw against Newcastle

The belief is that if you play him in a 3 you get performances like the one away to City but I just dont think that comes naturally to him.
For United he is most definately best in a double pivot or as you say even as the #6. Pogba needs to be on the ball a lot with a lot of players/options in front of him.
In a Mourinho team that is as the #6 or in a double pivot if you go with a #10. Pogba does not work as a LCM in this United and he would do even worse as a #10 playing off Lukaku with no players in front of him at all except the big guy for most of the games.
Its a mistake to compare Juves 4-3-3 (where he excelled as LCM) with a Mourinho 4-3-3. Its a good example of why the focus on formations are so overrated. There are so many different ways to play a 4-3-3. It can be offensive like prime Barcelona or defensive as feck as us under Mourinho or Chelsea under Conte (in some games).
I thought we saw against Newcastle in the second half which is Pogbas best position in this United. Question is if Mourinho dares to go all out and just give him Matic´s #6 spot. Dont think so tbf.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did anyone call him lazy after that specific match? Don’t know which commentators you were listening to but all I heard were rave reviews about his performance.

Now what would be really interesting would be the same stats for this season as a whole. Or for last season. That might well shed some light on why a lot of people think he should be working harder.

I love this little video he put on his Instagram. He's messing around but it shows just how good his control of the ball is.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was motivated in the Newcastle game and playing with desire, you can see the difference when he's in the mood or having a bad day.

It's fairly obvious he and Mourinho don't see eye to eye tactically, but for the good of the team we need them to pull together.

meamth

I love this little video he put on his Instagram. He's messing around but it shows just how good his control of the ball is.

No doubt he mastered any technical abilities in football, but the consistency is lacking for him to stay at the highest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.