Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley R1+O

Three games against Wolves, three monster mares. You have to be concerned as a fan at the weakness in mentality of Pogba. Unless Pogba actually shows some maturity and measure to adapt his game for the betterment of not just the team but himself, Wolves have pretty much given every team the blueprint to run him out of the league. You just allow him to advance the ball and then quickly double team him and isolate him, his dribbling just won't work in this league he's to rangey and players at a base level just have far to much speed and strength to let him get into full stride. Then when the opposition have possession all you need to do is line him up and profit off his fake pressing, run guys into his area and then off of him. I'm not sure if he's really tenable in the league anymore. At one point this morning a Wolves player didn't even try to disguise his pass around Pogba or go over the top, he went straight past him and Pogba didn't even try to stick a foot out a few inches next to him.

He has to do some serious introspection and take a humbling L and adapt from it. If we just continue to see the cock-sure attitude and unwillingness to adapt and that the league must bow to him then I don't see him as a viable option in the league for any team anymore.

Robaldo

Not remotely worried by these Madrid rumours. Pogba is a good player but not worth the money we could potentially get for him - let alone the hassle we get with him...

ash_86

We played a back five. We played a midfield of Fred, Mctominay and Pogba.

Only players in front of him were Lukaku, who he created a good chance for in the stroke of half time, and the non-scoring, non-assisting free role player Jesse Lingard.

Put any creative midfield playe in there instead of Pogba, Kroos, Modric or anyone and most games you would struggle to see what is good about them.

The truth is the quality in this team is so low, the players making forward runs are so few. The players capable of passing through a press aren't here.

The fans of this club always do this, expecting him to rise above all the mediocrity around him, and just keep up being world class week in week out when everything around him isn't.

Every creative midfielder would struggle in this painfully average squad of players.

This is still a team with no pattern of attack, no outlet on the right wing, making it very easy for defending teams to focus on stifling the left side usually occupied by Shaw, Martial and Pogba.

We will probably hound him out and champion for Mctominay to play his minutes. And wonder why we aren't catching up to City.
Watch hazard do that regularly for Chelsea. Chelsea has equally dross as us but hazard manages to stand out , pull out a winner out of nothing or run ragged in the box and get a penalty . That's what world class players do. They change the game on it's head and get soemthing out of the game for the team. Pogba hardly does that for supposedly being world class .

marktan

People expect Pogba to be the next Messi or C Ronaldo.. you people really don't understand what sort of player he is.

Look at him when he gets the ball, he's looking for movement ahead of him. There's none. There's a reason he shines everytime he plays for France, their team is just that much better and he racks up assists / chance creations. We on the other hand line up with Lingard, Dalot and Lukaku up front ffs.

Pogba would be great at a team like City, Madrid or Barca with actual competent attackers around him. It's really not a case of we're wasting a position by playing him, but much more so he's wasting his prime years with us.

RooneyLegend

What do people expect losing him would help us with? what we should be aware of is that we're in desperate need of quality and losing the little we have can't be an option.

Needham

People expect Pogba to be the next Messi or C Ronaldo.. you people really don't understand what sort of player he is.
Look at him when he gets the ball, he's looking for movement ahead of him. There's none. There's a reason he shines everytime he plays for France, their team is just that much better and he racks up assists / chance creations. We on the other hand line up with Lingard, Dalot and Lukaku up front ffs.
Pogba would be great at a team like City, Madrid or Barca with actual competent attackers around him. It's really not a case of we're wasting a position by playing him, but much more so he's wasting his prime years with us.
You've got to believe that he's intelligent enough to realize this, too. Only thing perhaps holding him back from going full renegade get me the feck out of here is the fact that it will be the 2nd time he's sought greener pastures away from the same club. But that agent of his will surely be thinking it's now or never, RM are ripe to be shorted. Let's see if Zidane is a fan, otherwise to where can Pogba go...?

Kopral Jono

I consider myself a Pogba-sceptic and I don't think he played as bad last night as plenty on here make it out to be. Rather, what indeed has become obvious is his body language, he showed little to no desire when the going got tough and it's plain to see his heart is somewhere else.

In an ideal world I'd like him to stay and see if he can prove all his doubters wrong, but I wouldn't complain one bit if we offload him.

Rista

This is why, as talented as he is, he should never be mentioned in the same bracket as other midfield greats for me. There is no consistency to his game, too often he can't be bothered and he rarely ever really controls games. It's absolute nonsense to blame it all on his team mates. If a player needs to have the team built around him and play with world class team mates to shine, then what does that really say about said player?

I'm not hating on Pogba, I'd rather keep him than not but if his head has been turned, we could do a lot worse than sell him for an enormous fee while we still can.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is why, as talented as he is, he should never be mentioned in the same bracket as other midfield greats for me. There is no consistency to his game, too often he can't be bothered and he rarely ever really controls games. It's absolute nonsense to blame it all on his team mates. If a player needs to have the team built around him and play with world class team mates to shine, then what does that really say about said player?

I'm not hating on Pogba, I'd rather keep him than not but if his head has been turned, we could do a lot worse than sell him for an enormous fee while we still can.
I couldn't agree more. He's a great player that I would like to keep but sometimes if it's not meant to work because one party doesn't give a feck, it's better to part ways in the best possible way.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Agree with the last part. If the player is not committed to the cause, it's better to get rid and sign other players. Hopefully Ole is as ruthless as Giggs, Neville said.

Nipower888

Supports
Man city
I love how this thread is so quiet when United is doing well but gets filled pages and pages when United isn’t. Yet some claim Pogba is rarely critiqued.

ants7

I don't critique players a lot here but after tonight's game, I can't get what Pogba is about really. These are kind of games where I'd expect him to create something from nothing and be the star guy in the end. Reality is, McTominay is man of the match and I can't remember a thing that Pogba did.

Weak mentality? Probably. BUT - as a poster wrote above, I don't hate Pogba at all. Would love to see us getting players which would support him and help get the best out of him. Because there is a very good player in him. But he's just not that good when he his own and maybe not the "something from nothing"-player who I have been expecting him to be.

NK86

It's never his fault, eh?

Ban

It's never his fault, eh?
Isn't play in his position.
Jose is undermining him.
He needs 2 mids behind him.
Team is not good enough.
No movement around him.
Pogba haters in force.
He deserves to play in Madrid or Barcelona.

Stacks

Fanboy United strikes again. Wasn't he the one who begged us to sign his "boy" Lukaku and ain't Lingard his Bessie mate? He would get booed at Barcelona and Madrid. Have you not seen how Coutinho is treated? They are similar players; of the Ozil mould. Nice stats but flaky form and not week in week out players. These guys are not of the ilk of the legends of the past. They are moments players but have huge mental floors.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolute charlatan. Cracking player when he can be bothered but fecking hell, the last few games he’s playing like his heads elsewhere and he can’t wait to leave.

Last edited:

Mrdan1709

Hard to believe some in here claimed he is the best midfielder in the premier league. He doesnt even get in citys lineup in my opinion. Bernardo Silva, David Silva and De Bruyne are all better than him. Wouldnt be too bothered if he left. Hes very good, but him leaving wouldnt be the end of the world. ITs not like hes Paul Scholes and irreplaceable

sugar_kane

Been crap ever since he got sent off at PSG

last night he played exactly like his worst games under Mou - inexplicably giving the ball away, trying to hold off players for too long then losing it, falling over.

It was astonishing how quickly he turned it on when Mourinho left as I’d convinced myself he was massively overrated.

The fact he’s turned it off again so quickly suggests his head is elsewhere or he just has broader mentality problems.

Ibrahimorich

If we weren't playing Barca next, I'd drop him and De Gea. Both of them were poor.

BigBebe

From Bet365

Pogba v Wolves: Pass completion - 69% (2nd worst on pitch)
Dispossessed - 3 times (2nd worst on pitch)
Dribbled past - 2 times (2nd worst on pitch)
Tackle success - 33%
Aerials won - 67%
Interceptions - 0
Clearances - 0
Dribble success - 50%
Shots on target - 0
Through balls - 0

He was really poor yesterday. I know that the rest of the team were pretty bad too but in games like that, you need your top player to help the others out of the mire. Pogba is clearly not capable of doing that.

Playing well in a handful of games in a season is just not good enough. I honestly don't know where we go with him now.

Stacks

Been crap ever since he got sent off at PSG

last night he played exactly like his worst games under Mou - inexplicably giving the ball away, trying to hold off players for too long then losing it, falling over.

It was astonishing how quickly he turned it on when Mourinho left as I’d convinced myself he was massively overrated.

The fact he’s turned it off again so quickly suggests his head is elsewhere or he just has broader mentality problems.
Disagree. I'd say 6/9 games he has been meh or played a 6 but he was good vs Pool, Chelsea, Arsenal seconds half. Let's not exaggerate

finneh

Garbage... again.

His mentality is a real concern in truth. It's clear when he's motivated to put in great performances he can do so irrespective of those around him. In this situation he elevates his team to a higher level as you'd expect of any top class player. He's done this half a dozen times since January. However when he is not motivated he's performances are dreadful/petulant and because for him to play well he needs his team to be built around him being the creative hub, when he plays poorly generally our team play poorly too.

It then begs the question: should the team be built around someone whose mentality and therefore consistency is so dreadful? I'd argue absolutely not. Rather than have two midfielders around him who have to have a high work rate and be very good defensive abilities... I'd prefer to have a balanced midfield without Pogba in it. For example a midfield of Herrera-Eriksen-Lingard would be far more effective compared with Herrera-Pogba-Lingard. That's because Eriksen presses far more vociferously, works harder in general, is more consistent and gives away possession less. I'd also argue on the whole he's more creative over the course of the last few seasons.

If Herrera is leaving and Pogba is putting in these kind of petulant and inconsistent performances as he has for nearly 3 years then at least we have an opportunity to rebuild our midfield. Without trying to sound like I'm advocating a fantasy football scenario We could insist someone like Casemiro (plus cash) is included in a deal for Pogba and use the money included with that to buy Eriksen or Coutinho. I think that would be a far more functional midfield with a greater up side (Casemiro-Eriksen-Lingard) than we currently have (Matic could come in alongside Casemiro for the trickier games). Our wage bill in that scenario would also be greatly reduced as Casemiro/Eriksen (or similar) are would be on less than we've offered Herrera (£170k) and what Pogba is on (£290k).

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's been shite the last few games and he was flirting with Madrid during the international break. Very worrying.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
When he plays like that last night, he is just taking up a space on the team. Instead of huffing and throwing his arms around when hes not playing well, he should bite his lip and get stuck in with the effort... If he fancies a move away, FECK off and this summer and be done with it

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Thing about Pogba is, no matter the game, I always worry prior whether he's going to turn up or not.

Mourinho really wasn't wrong about him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So much hatred and agenda in this thread, it really is sickening.

Yes he didn't have his best game but that was Wolves doing a good job of shutting off the space. I genuinely don't understand what people expect from him, he cant/never has won a game by himself. He's not maradona but a very talented forward thinking midfielder.

The attack was shite yesterday with Lukaku/Lingard standing there with their backs to goal surrounded by 5 wolves players, and little to no threat from wide positions.

It's pretty clear to me most of the Pogba haters have been brainwashed by Mourinho and he will always be public enemy 1 from now on. Very sad.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

Yes he didn't have his best game but that was Wolves doing a good job of shutting off the space. I genuinely don't understand what people expect from him, he cant/never has won a game by himself. He's not maradona but a very talented forward thinking midfielder.

The attack was shite yesterday with Lukaku/Lingard standing there with their backs to goal surrounded by 5 wolves players, and little to no threat from wide positions.

It's pretty clear to me most of the Pogba haters have been brainwashed by Mourinho and he will always be public enemy 1 from now on. Very sad.

:lol:

poleglass red

yesterday though was just a continuance of his form v Arsenal, Wolves, Watford and Wolves again. He should be delivering more against, lets be honest not exactly top drawer midfields. He's a luxury right now, a player capable of unreal skill but lacks the will to win, to roll up the sleeves when the going gets tough. He's our main source of creativity in mid because we have to play 2 defence minded mids to cover his lack of defensive cover. He doesn't play well, our forwards don't get the service they need. Does he need a rest, probably. The argument is do we have anyone to adequately cover for him, ability wise, probably not, but after these recent performances I'd say we'd have to. Would Pereira have been that much worse in that role, not comparing him ability wise but it's almost like playing man down when Pogba isn't at it.

Frank Grimes

We should seriously consider cashing in imo. If we could get 150m plus in the summer and bought 2 midfielders and a rb that would be a good piece of business.

We would then need a creative midfielder. Fekir or someone of that ilk too though

Last edited:

RedDevil5

If he doesn't want to be here, he needs to leave. His attitude is awful a lot of the time, and it has come back. No Mourinho to blame this time. This is all his fault.

Hopefully Real come in for him and we can sell him and his fat clown agent. Absolute clown.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Garbage... again.

His mentality is a real concern in truth. It's clear when he's motivated to put in great performances he can do so irrespective of those around him. In this situation he elevates his team to a higher level as you'd expect of any top class player. He's done this half a dozen times since January. However when he is not motivated he's performances are dreadful/petulant and because for him to play well he needs his team to be built around him being the creative hub, when he plays poorly generally our team play poorly too.

It then begs the question: should the team be built around someone whose mentality and therefore consistency is so dreadful? I'd argue absolutely not. Rather than have two midfielders around him who have to have a high work rate and be very good defensive abilities... I'd prefer to have a balanced midfield without Pogba in it. For example a midfield of Herrera-Eriksen-Lingard would be far more effective compared with Herrera-Pogba-Lingard. That's because Eriksen presses far more vociferously, works harder in general, is more consistent and gives away possession less. I'd also argue on the whole he's more creative over the course of the last few seasons.

If Herrera is leaving and Pogba is putting in these kind of petulant and inconsistent performances as he has for nearly 3 years then at least we have an opportunity to rebuild our midfield. Without trying to sound like I'm advocating a fantasy football scenario We could insist someone like Casemiro (plus cash) is included in a deal for Pogba and use the money included with that to buy Eriksen or Coutinho. I think that would be a far more functional midfield with a greater up side (Casemiro-Eriksen-Lingard) than we currently have (Matic could come in alongside Casemiro for the trickier games). Our wage bill in that scenario would also be greatly reduced as Casemiro/Eriksen (or similar) are would be on less than we've offered Herrera (£170k) and what Pogba is on (£290k).
I've been doing some research on the amount of chances that we create. But to provide more context to your statement (throwing in KDB):

Big Chances Created (in the league)

2018/19: Erikson - 9. Pogba - 7. KDB - 6
2017/18: Erikson - 15. Pogba - 4. KDB - 19
2016/17: Erikson - 16. Pogba - 7. KDB - 24 (:houllier:)

These stats would suggest that you're right. The fecked up part is that I think Pogba is to blame partly, but I think that if we swap Erikson and Pogba, we would see Erikson's stats drop, and Pogba's stats rise. Which is part of what Ole has to fix in the offseason.

Last edited:

Ban

:lol:

Jeffthered

"Manchester United right now is firmly a Paul Pogba-led team in attack. No player in the league is both the most frequent passer and the most frequent possession-ender in a team apart from him."

need to surround him with actual quality. people that can share the burden and responsibility. he's been carrying this team for a while. and the minute he has a couple of bad games you see some shocking posts here.
And I am not one to be beguiled by stats.. but this is a very interesting visual, and says a lot right. He is by FAR our most active, and creative player. So where are all those other 'creative' players then? Injured? Lost form? Can't be bothered.. or some other excuse.

I say it time and time again... Paul Pogba needs other good players around him. CR7 and Lionel Messi need other good players around them! We have to look at the quality of the team.. but for me, I don't doubt Pogba's intent or contribution. No, like the rest of the team, he hasn't been as fluent and influential as a few games back.... but maybe, just maybe, SOMEONE ELSE needs to step up and take the next four, five games by the scruff of the neck?

It is all too easy to blame and dimiss Paul Pogba, and IF he leaves, we will miss him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And I am not one to be beguiled by stats.. but this is a very interesting visual, and says a lot right. He is by FAR our most active, and creative player. So where are all those other 'creative' players then? Injured? Lost form? Can't be bothered.. or some other excuse.

I say it time and time again... Paul Pogba needs other good players around him. CR7 and Lionel Messi need other good players around them! We have to look at the quality of the team.. but for me, I don't doubt Pogba's intent or contribution. No, like the rest of the team, he hasn't been as fluent and influential as a few games back.... but maybe, just maybe, SOMEONE ELSE needs to step up and take the next four, five games by the scruff of the neck?

It is all too easy to blame and dimiss Paul Pogba, and IF he leaves, we will miss him.
Somebody with their brain switched on for once! our attacking options last night just weren't good enough. Pogba isn't a Hazard or Messi that can dribble 2/3 people and score, he's a playmaker that's got a killer final pass, but for that he needs good movement. Lukaku/Lingard offered none of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.