6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks2008

Some people deserve a Lingard/Fred/McT midfield. That half an hour from Pogba was better than anything the rest of them put together all season.

meamth

Well, he is the answer to low block teams. In that 26 minutes alone, I'm convinced he will change the path of our season.

He can do it all can he? Not pressing him, he will deliver gorgeous balls to forwards, pressing him, he can link up with our forwards.

The guy is electric, I missed him, we all do.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
First game back in ages, coming into game as sub where we had little positive energy, I Thought he was as impressive as he could be today.

What impressed me most was how quickly he influenced the pace and tempo of our play, and how confident and accurate his forward passing was.

Let’s see if he can elevate the team to the next level, which is what I expect of him due to his fee and talent. No point being ‘best player in the team’ unless you demonstrate that more times than not.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Barely took any time to show his class. His passing is so good, he can just pick passes from anywhere. His ability in final third is different class. By far our best player

PaulRich

That ball picking Greenwood out - you could have put the rest of our midfield players out there all night and they wouldn't have even seen a ball like that. If he isn't going in Jan we need him to leave in the summer giving us all he can in between.

Jinn

Problem is, we don't have anyone we can trust to get on the end of the passes in the final third.
Rashford is great, but an instinctive striker. Greenwood is young and learning.
Maybe they need to play more together to develop a way of using each other.
Ole's definitely got a problem getting them to gel.

TsuWave

Let’s see if he can elevate the team to the next level, which is what I expect of him due to his fee and talent. No point being ‘best player in the team’ unless you demonstrate that more times than not.
Pogba is surrounded by mediocre players. Expecting him to elevate this gang to another level will only lead to disappointment because things won’t always go right for him, and that’s what Raiola was talking about the other day when he said he needs help/support. His fee should hardly be a talking point any longer when we pay £80M for the likes of Maguire. Why hasn’t Maguire elevated the back four, let alone the team, to another level but that’s expected of Pogba?

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
First game back in ages, coming into game as sub where we had little positive energy, I Thought he was as impressive as he could be today.

What impressed me most was how quickly he influenced the pace and tempo of our play, and how confident and accurate his forward passing was.

He won't elevate nothing by himself, you're creating an expectation he will never reach. The coaching staff has to do its job, that's not on Pogba to do that

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
This is the truth. All the noise from those wanting him out and all the unswerving devotion of the Pogba fanboys is irrelevant. The guy simply has to produce what is expected of him for however long he ends up being here.

Volumiza

He won't elevate nothing by himself, you're creating an expectation he will never reach. The coaching staff has to do its job, that's not on Pogba to do that
So you’re saying individual players don’t elevate teams by themselves?

Might want to try telling CR7 or Messi that. George Best did pretty well, Keane, the list goes on. Pogba should elevate this team simply by being in it, otherwise what was the point in paying that amount.

Yeah there are question marks over our coaching setup but to suggest players themselves can’t elevate a team is nonsense.

Edit: elevate means raise or make better. If a player, any player doesn’t do this for the squad then they shouldn’t be in it. No one is expecting him to win us trophies singlehandedly bit he should 100% be expected to improve us.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
So you’re saying individual players don’t elevate teams by themselves?

Might want to try telling CR7 or Messi that. George Best did pretty well, Keane, the list goes on. Pogba should elevate this team simply by being in it, otherwise what was the point in paying that amount.

Yeah there are question marks over our coaching setup but to suggest players themselves can’t elevate a team is nonsense.

Edit: elevate means raise or make better. If a player, any player doesn’t do this for the squad then they shouldn’t be in it. No one is expecting him to win us trophies singlehandedly bit he should 100% be expected to improve us.
You might want to try telling that to my all time hero Bryan Robson. He used to put in world class performances week in week out, didn't elevate the team to more than the odd cup win though. Week in week out that team under achieved massively with Robson in it.

RUCK4444

This is the truth. All the noise from those wanting him out and all the unswerving devotion of the Pogba fanboys is irrelevant. The guy simply has to produce what is expected of him for however long he ends up being here.
I agree to an extent but also agree with @kouroux that you can’t solely place the responsibility of the overall teams performance on Pogba’s shoulders.

This is part of the problem and what causes the divide on Pogba.

There seems to be an underlying difference in how people view him compared to other players in the squad.

There is certainly a higher expectation level, and like we see often, fans are all too willing to jump all over him if he doesn’t perform.

I agree he can be a frustrating player and that we should expect a certain level from him but something about the underlying bias/agenda, as mentioned above, doesn’t sit right with me.

Volumiza

You might want to try telling that to my all time hero Bryan Robson. He used to put in world class performances week in week out, didn't elevate the team to more than the odd cup win though. Week in week out that team under achieved massively with Robson in it.
Of course he elevated us. We would have been worse without BR in the team.

DoomSlayer

He was the best player when he came on, people criticising him are being petty and bitter. Would have been great if that chance went in, to get his confidence up straight from the first game but he looks totally up for it.

The rest of the team should be playing off of him though, not constantly just passing him the ball and expecting the impossible. Too often I see some player giving the ball to Pogba and start ball watching.

Volumiza

I agree to an extent but also agree with @kouroux that you can’t solely place the responsibility of the overall teams performance on Pogba’s shoulders.

There seems to be an underlying difference in how people view him compared to other players in the squad.

There is certainly a higher expectation level, and like we see often, fans are all too willing to jump all over him if he doesn’t perform.

I agree he can be a frustrating player but something about the above doesn’t sit right with me.
I’m not jumping on him, he’s quality. Nor am I saying he has to carry the team but he needs to at least do his part as well as his price tag should demand.

RUCK4444

I agree he can be a frustrating player but something about the above doesn’t sit right with me.
I’m not jumping on him, he’s quality. Nor am I saying he has to carry the team but he needs to at least do his part as well as his price tag should demand.
Yeah I can see that and agree 100%

It’s just a feeling I get with a lot of the fanbase about him and how they view him differently to the rest.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Of course he elevated us. We would have been worse without BR in the team.
We didn't amount to much with or without him, as brilliant as he was individually that team inconsistent.

Keane on the other hand was a similar player, his influence got us over the line in the biggest of competitions. I have absolutely no doubt that had you swapped a peak Keane for a peak Robson....the results would have been the same. The 1985-1990 team would remain inconsistent and the 1996-2002 team would've won everything.

Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, Best are individual talents and four of the best players who ever lived. Bryan Robson, Paul Pogba, Roy Keane cannot be compared.

Volumiza

We didn't amount to much with or without him, as brilliant as he was individually that team inconsistent.

Keane on the other hand was a similar player, his influence got us over the line in the biggest of competitions. I have absolutely no doubt that had you swapped a peak Keane for a peak Robson....the results would have been the same. The 1985-1990 team would remain inconsistent and the 1996-2002 team would've won everything.

Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, Best are individual talents and four of the best players who ever lived. Bryan Robson, Paul Pogba, Roy Keane cannot be compared.
Robson may not have elevated us to league titles but we would have been worse without him in the side. He elevated us whether we won silverware or not. Sorry, I’ll have to agree to disagree.

It doesn’t matter what level players are at, they can still elevate teams simply by being in them.

For £90m I 100% expect Pogba to elevate us. In his own way, Dan James has elevated us for £15m so why should we not expected the same from Pogba?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Robson may not have elevated us to league titles but we would have been worse without him in the side. He elevated us whether we won silverware or not. Sorry, I’ll have to agree to disagree.

It doesn’t matter what level players are at, they can still elevate teams simply by being in them.

For £90m I 100% expect Pogba to elevate us. In his own way, Dan James has elevated us for £15m so why should we not expected the same from Pogba?
We are much better team with Pogba than without him, does that mean has he elevated us or he hasn't?

Also going by his goal contributions, chances created, general play he is by far our best player. I mean he can't make AWB to cross the ball better or Lindelof to head the ball better. He is doing his job, it's on others to step up.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

I like Dan James....but In what way has he elevated us? We have less points than we did this time last year ? He's been in poor form for a while and was invisible yesterday in every aspect.

The problem isnt elevation its emotion. People can't remove emotion from evaluation. I can do that, which I think helps. I can see how Bryan Robson was brilliant individually, far more so than Pogba for example, but it didn't elevate the team to anything. I can remove my feelings and see that. I can see that Pogba has been our best outfield performer in the three years he's been back, because emotion doesn't get in the way of me seeing that. It's not the transfer fee, haircuts, social media or price tag. It's not the bad games he's had. It's an overall assesment against his teammates. He hasn't elevated us to anything of note, he hasn't been brilliant individually, but he's been good and effective and produced more than anyone else.

I can see that Maradona would've elevated us on his own, but he's a freak. Normal midfielders won't do that. They are an important cog, but they can't make someone finish the chance they create, where a Maradona,Best,Ronaldo would create and finish themselves.

So for me you're creating a narrative that Pogba will never be able to live up to on his own, unless the team is more Keanes team than Robsons, because it suits the way you feel.

Volumiza

I like Dan James....but In what way has he elevated us? We have less points than we did this time last year ? He's been in poor form for a while and was invisible yesterday in every aspect.
We have a better balanced attack than last year. I prefer him to Sanchez so for me he has elevated us, even if judged solely on the terms of balance.

The problem isnt elevation its emotion. People can't remove emotion from evaluation. I can do that, which I think helps.
?

I can see how Bryan Robson was brilliant individually, far more so than Pogba for example, but it didn't elevate the team to anything. I can remove my feelings and see that. I can see that Pogba has been our best outfield performer in the three years he's been back, because emotion doesn't get in the way of me seeing that. It's not the transfer fee, haircuts, social media or price tag. It's not the bad games he's had. It's an overall assesment against his teammates. He hasn't elevated us to anything of note, he hasn't been brilliant individually, but he's been good and effective and produced more than anyone else.
The situation with Pogba is pretty much the same as BR. The team is better with him in it. He elevates us. That's not to say he can elevate us singlehandedly to titles, that's not what I'm saying, the same with BR. They elevated the team simply for the reason the team is, or would have been, worse without them. The alternative to Pogba is Lingard currently. Pogba is better than Lingard, regardless of the scoreline Pogba elevated our play once he came on.

So for me you're creating a narrative that Pogba will never be able to live up to on his own, unless the team is more Keanes team than Robsons, because it suits the way you feel.
I'm not actually creating a narrative intentionally. Pogba elevates the team above what it would be without him. We now need a proper CF that will elevate us a little more. And a proper DM, that will elevate us a little more and so on. I'm not expecting PP to win us the league singlehandedy and am not sure where I've created that narative. I simply believe the team is better with him in it, therefore he elevates the team.

Bwuk

He’s our best player by a country mile. He’s surrounded by dross but people expect him to improve situation.

I’d be looking to find someone who can pass a ball from deep and create to play alongside him and McTominay.

In Rainbows

Keane had some amazing teammates too. It's what I've been preaching for a while. We need more quality around Pogba, not because we need to build a team around him, but because we just simply need more quality in general. I don't want United to be carried by one individual. Above all, I want a technical level that is far beyond the current side's level. Sancho would be a good start. Another CM who is incredibly reliable in possession is a need too.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The only positive from that Watford game, as expected, was Pogback. It's a joy watching him play.

Without Pogba, our squad is on Crystal Palace levels of mediocrity - with Rashford/Zaha being the lone saviour and other players occasionally turning up.
With him back, we're going to play the 'smaller' teams with far more ease given our current setup.

RedIan

He oozed class when he came on against watford, making the rest of the team look what they were, very average. (Being kind)

redshaw

He should be playing passes to Mbappe. Imagine Scholes or Beckham trying to play in this team. Time after time I see Pogba put this rabble through and they make a pigs ear of it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He should be playing passes to Mbappe. Imagine Scholes or Beckham trying to play in this team. Time after time I see Pogba put this rabble through and they make a pigs ear of it.
Slightly harsh, I think once he's settled back in to the team, with Rashford's and James's running, there could be some pleasant surprises. The midfield is currently our big issue with its lack of creativity, it's not normal he should bear the whole burden of it but that seems to be the case for the time being.

3KDré

Well, he is the answer to low block teams. In that 26 minutes alone, I'm convinced he will change the path of our season.

He can do it all can he? Not pressing him, he will deliver gorgeous balls to forwards, pressing him, he can link up with our forwards.

The guy is electric, I missed him, we all do.
Easily the best in our team. Our only issue is he will be marked so much more. When he's on the pitch as well everyone just gives him the ball and expects him to do something magical. The other players need to take more responsibility if we're going to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.