6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

:lol: Barely involved though? He didn't embarrass himself but I really don't understand the love in here. Just watch the video. The first three simple passes went behind the player, the next were pretty much only simple passes that hit the target or missed passes. Not much else going on for him this game sadly. Crazy reaction for a pretty mediocre performance.
Mediocre is the other end of extreme you're criticizing.

E-mal

We need another quality creative central midfielder in the team. Fred cant cut it and Scott is pretty much squard level. If Alcantara is available we need to spend on him honestly to help Pogba and Fernandes as is pretty much obvious we cant create zilth or even pass the ball effectively to the final third without him and Matic.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Mediocre is the other end of extreme you're criticizing.
For being Pogba, It wasn't an impressive performance was it... Decent and mediocre performance from him is exactly what I would describe it as, and that shouldn't really be a controversial opinion is what I'm getting at.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
With each passing game, it's getting clearer even to them Pogba detractors that he is our best players. Not that it should have been in doubt in the first place but him being out for almost the entire season had some people forget how good he actually is.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
With each passing game, it's getting clearer even to them Pogba detractors that he is our best players. Not that it should have been in doubt in the first place but him being out for almost the entire season had some people forget how good he actually is.
He always has been one of our best players, it's just that some games he didn't look like one of our best players. His whole demeanor since lockdown has been much improved, and he really looks up for it now, even if some posters think he was mediocre today, I thought he played well, very controlled, looking for openings, keeping the ball when under pressure, this is what I want to see more of.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He always has been one of our best players, it's just that some games he didn't look like one of our best players. His whole demeanor since lockdown has been much improved, and he really looks up for it now, even if some posters think he was mediocre today, I thought he played well, very controlled, looking for openings, keeping the ball when under pressure, this is what I want to see more of.
I'm one of those labeling it as a mediocre performance, and I stand by that, but having said that I still do agree that it was a positive display. He was controlled and tried his best, while nobody in our squad really pushed it to their limits, but players like Pogba and Fernandes showed their quality in moments. It has to be appreciated and it brings some positivity until he hopefully wants to sign the new contract.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I'm one of those labeling it as a mediocre performance, and I stand by that, but having said that I still do agree that it was a positive display. He was controlled and tried his best, while nobody in our squad really pushed it to their limits, but players like Pogba and Fernandes showed their quality in moments. It has to be appreciated and it brings some positivity until he hopefully wants to sign the new contract.
I think that most matches that these type of players perform in, are possibly not world class displays, but to me if someone is trying to create, win the ball, use the ball well and cover when required, then I can accept that. Pogba's whole demeanor looks so much better in these post lockdown games, and that is what I was trying to convey. To me, a mediocre performance is what Lingard produced today, and has done for a number of games recently.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
My fear is that he's waiting to see if we qualify for the CL before doing so. If we don't we could find ourselves in a tight corner.
I think that would be a bad move from Pogba. No way anyone in the CL can afford him at the price we value him at for the moment. There is no guarantee he will receive any more trophies of importance in his career if he leaves. His best bet is to buckle down, sign the contract and finally start contributing to the rise of Man Utd. Anything else and my respect for his ambition is lost. United is a huge club bound to be back on top, if he doesn't want to contribute it will be his loss.

I think that most matches that these type of players perform in, are possibly not world class displays, but to me if someone is trying to create, win the ball, use the ball well and cover when required, then I can accept that. Pogba's whole demeanor looks so much better in these post lockdown games, and that is what I was trying to convey. To me, a mediocre performance is what Lingard produced today, and has done for a number of games recently.
It's not like he had a lot of games earlier due to his injuries but I see what your saying. I think he has done well generally after Mourinho left, but after his injury that kept him out for almost a full season combined with his agent spouting nonsense I was worried about him. Lost case to me before the lockdown honestly but he has done well the last two games, I agree. Hopefully he will keep his form and continue to provide assists and goals for this team because they need it in the coming games if we are to make top 4.

With regards to Lingard, he is not mediocre unless you're being kind and wants to sell him on that opinion. He is trash in comparison to standard Man Utd quality, and I used to be a supporter of him when he performed.

Kazi

Feel like he should be in the advanced role rather than Bruno if we are going to play with two deep

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bruno's been great, his signing has been one of a catalystic (I don't think thats actually a word) proportions but when you see both Bruno and Pogba on the same pitch together it does become very clear and obvious who's the better of the two

Prodigal7

Bruno's been great, his signing has been one of a catalystic (I don't think thats actually a word) proportions but when you see both Bruno and Pogba on the same pitch together it does become very clear and obvious who's the better of the two
Yeah. Pogba is just a class above everyone else on the pitch. Bruno’s style of play should help him be more productive as well.

Deery

Dreary
But it’s only early days for Bruno too when it clicks he will be Cantonaese, Pogba is pure class no doubt, just glad to have both..

DarkXaero

I agree with this. While Bruno is a super positive player, and has certainly improved our team a lot with his assertiveness, and willingness to play progressive football, Pogba still seems a class above when they've been on the pitch together. Obviously, I'm extremely glad to have the two of them play together, and hope it is the case for many years to come. A good amount of this forum might have convinced themselves into thinking that Pogba is replaceable, but Grealish or Havertz or whoever is on the market cannot replace Pogba's talent. I've maintained all along in Pogba's time here, that we haven't really taken advantage of his talent, because of the team around him. Now with Bruno, and the development of Rashford, Martial as attacking players, we're seeing a more consistent Paul Pogba. Add in Sancho, and a good DM option behind them, and we'll take another massive step forward.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol: Barely involved though? He didn't embarrass himself but I really don't understand the love in here. Just watch the video. The first three simple passes went behind the player, the next were pretty much only simple passes that hit the target or missed passes. Not much else going on for him this game sadly. Crazy reaction for a pretty mediocre performance.
It's the rubber-band effect. There's been so much over criticism of him that now it's swinging back the other way where he's getting over-praised. It'll even out soon enough.

Brightonian

Feel like he should be in the advanced role rather than Bruno if we are going to play with two deep
Nah, all our best football since the restart has come with them in the current alignment. Bruno's flick to Ighalo which earned the red card is exactly the kind of thing he does more in that position than Pogba. We've seen since the restart that Pogba is at his best when he can put his foot on the ball and pick his own moments.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
His quality was obvious as soon as he set foot on the pitch. When he arrives, the team relaxes and knows he's got this under control. He just oozes pure class.

His pass to set up our winning goal was just Pogba doing Pogba things. It was an amazing piece of vision at a clutch time too.

Every game he's played with Bruno so far, he hasn't needed to do everything on his own anymore, and he's muuuuch better for it. He seems a lot calmer too. It really is like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders. Quietly going about his game, not needing to force the play, choosing the best moments now instead. I'm liking this a lot.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's the rubber-band effect. There's been so much over criticism of him that now it's swinging back the other way where he's getting over-praised. It'll even out soon enough.
Thanks. I'm getting confused and a bit tired of this:lol:

Mr Smith

The variety is unparalleled
The disguise on his body movement is world class as well. Everyone would have been thinking he was going to send one to the far post, and he just glides it in to the near post runner. I genuinely think only Messi has that quality and variety of passing range.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He did well again today. The Messi comparisons are over the top but he has now been good three matches in a row. Great to see and hopefully he can keep it going. He really looks like he is up for the fight and committed to the team.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We need another quality creative central midfielder in the team. Fred cant cut it and Scott is pretty much squard level. If Alcantara is available we need to spend on him honestly to help Pogba and Fernandes as is pretty much obvious we cant create zilth or even pass the ball effectively to the final third without him and Matic.
We do, but someone like Alcantara isn't going to accept sitting on the bench. Buendia would be the player I'd go for. In a decent team he'd demonstrate just how good he is. Wouldn't cost the world. Norwich are very pragmatic in the transfer market, and he'd be very open to the move.

Rolaholic

The disguise on his body movement is world class as well. Everyone would have been thinking he was going to send one to the far post, and he just glides it in to the near post runner. I genuinely think only Messi has that quality and variety of passing range.
He even fooled a few of his teammates there :lol:

His vision is world class, the entire field of play is a passing lane for him.

Really hope we can continue to add quality in our areas of need (RW and a holding/defensive mid or deep lying playmaker long term) because we have quite a good spine developing with him and Bruno, Maguire + AWB and Martial and Rashford.

Truly think we're 2/3 signings away from actually being able to challenge Europe's elite if he we hold onto him for the remainder of his prime.

The pandemic situation seems to have worked in our favor in regards to being able to lock him up for the near future. The only realistic options for him would've been Madrid or Juve under normal circumstances but Juve won't have the money to spend on another big money signing + wages and Madrid have some quality young MF talent coming up so it's not a need anymore for them.

We finish the season on a strong note and qualify for the CL (looking quite doable with the likely City ban + still competing for the Europa title) and I'm pretty certain he'll sign a new contract/extension

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't think he's being praised too much at all. He's been superb since returning against Spurs and deserves all the praise he's currently getting. Including yesterday.

Rolaholic

Yea I don't think there's been an overreaction to his play since the restart.

He's been outstanding under Ole when he's not injured or the entire team is struggling (Bruno's addition has helped limit instances of the latter)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't think he's being praised too much at all. He's been superb since returning against Spurs and deserves all the praise he's currently getting. Including yesterday.
I think he's just doing what he's always been able to do, he just has less of an onus on being the sole creator. He's not playing above his normal level to me, and it's not incredible competition he's faced so far, but that's just my opinion. I do think people are a bit over-effusive on what he's doing, but it could be because he's been gone for a while and so much of the (mostly false) criticism of his are what's been mostly discussed in his absence, so we forget what a player he has always been. People were just too quick to dismiss him, mostly motivated by his public desire to leave a United squad that was pretty desperate back then. I think Pogba will stay at United now, I think even without COVID-19 he would have stayed in this United squad because there's finally some hope for a bright future and he always wanted to succeed here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Get the feeling he really enjoys having Bruno there. Only going to get better that partnership and they suit each other so well, same with Matic behind.

Greck

Yeah the difference is huge. I was done with the circus of begging Pogba to stay but now I'm concerned by the realisation there's absolutely no way we replace that. If by some miracle we do it will still only be a step forward to make up for the massive step back of having him go

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wouldn't say that. They're different players, Bruno is a lot more direct, creative and production based, making the final ball while Pogba is more controlled and measured. On an individual talent level, yeah Pogba is more talented most likely but the mentality and drive of Bruno and his play style (crazy hard working but super creative) would probably make the bigger difference to teams. My opinion anyway. The better talent doesn't mean better player and imo Bruno's mentality, drive and playstyle elevate him up to the world class level where Pogba is as well.

Anyway hope he stays, he's brilliant and he looks freed with Bruno. Everyone kept asking what defensive cover does he need to be free, not realizing that actually he needed that supporting creative player to play passes in to and share the creative load to really look comfortable.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think he's just doing what he's always been able to do, he just has less of an onus on being the sole creator. He's not playing above his normal level to me, and it's not incredible competition he's faced so far, but that's just my opinion. I do think people are a bit over-effusive on what he's doing, but it could be because he's been gone for a while and so much of the (mostly false) criticism of his are what's been mostly discussed in his absence, so we forget what a player he has always been. People were just too quick to dismiss him, mostly motivated by his public desire to leave a United squad that was pretty desperate back then. I think Pogba will stay at United now, I think even without COVID-19 he would have stayed in this United squad because there's finally some hope for a bright future and he always wanted to succeed here.
I agree with all of that but, for me, I don't think any of that means the praise he's currently getting is unwarranted.

I get what you mean about the level of competition he's faced since returning, but there's context needed. When he came on against Spurs, he broke down a team we were having a lot of trouble in doing so with ease with his run for the pen and an outrageous pass to Rashford. Against Sheffield - teams we've struggled against all season - we had complete control throughout, and created chances with ease. Yesterday, before coming on, we didn't look like opening them up at all, but within a few minutes of coming on he beat Norwich's press and played a good through ball to Greenwood who got a shot off. He just instantly made us more threatening.

Matic deserves equal praise, too. Whenever they've both played since returning we've instantly looked better thanks to the composure and quality they bring to the table.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Our best player yesterday despite coming on late. It's all just so effortless for him. It's evident that we need to try to ensure he stays as we simply won't be able to replace his quality. We need to go big in the transfer window and give the likes of Pogba and Fernandes a really quality team to work with.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wow, I knew he played well but those stats are superb, I think he's taking a calmer approach with Bruno there now, just pulling strings and using the space well that Bruno creates in front of him.
I think we need to pair Pogba and Fernandes with with a DM who is defensively excellent (I'm sure you've read my thoughts in the relevant thread) but also has good ball retention skills under pressure. Fernandes plays a high risk game and can lose the ball alot and Pogba can too which could become problematic against high quality teams. Someone who can keep possession at a high level along with the required defensive quality should be targeted to balance the midfield imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.