6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OL29

Despite two assists, very careless on the ball and defensively. Fred should start the next game, because we can't afford to lose that many balls so close to our goal. When he's on the counter though, he is something else.
:lol: Don’t think Fred is the best choice if that’s your worry.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He struggled a bit in the first half when the whole team did, and was brilliant when we played well.
He's not the kind of player to win a midfield battle for you, which is fine as long as he shows his quality.
He can hold onto the ball for too long, but sometimes he does need more options from those ahead of him.
Lingard and Pereira got a bit more into it in the second half which helped him.
All in all a really strong performance, no sulky demeanour either which some like @GlastonSpur predicted he would have if he didn't get his move.

R'hllor

I think it is ok to criticize the bad things he did (losing the ball, complaining too much, expecting FKs instead of playing) while acknowledging that without him we are fecked. His creativity in unvaluable for our team.
Criticism doesn't make you a hater just like praise doesn't make you a fanboi
Never going to stick, there are so many crazy people in here.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
As I've said a million times before he's not a holding CM and not much good in a 2 man CM he's a ACM. He needs to be the furthest CM forward so the closest CM to goal, he should have been playing in Pereira's position today.

DoomSlayer

Too sloppy in the 1st half but was magnificent in the 2nd. Truly world class, I just wish he played with intensity more consistently, because he becomes twice the player he is than when playing slowly and dwelling on the ball.

jesperjaap

Game summed up Pogba. Utterly awful I thought in the first half, gave the ball away more than he keot it, shoddy and lazy trying silly things in the wrong areas almost early Ross Barkley like.

Then second half he produces a coupe of moments of magic and grew into the game and did things hardly anybody else in the side can.

I agree with what some people are saying though, doesnt look right in a double pivot at all for me and when he is so inconsistent, how can you build your team around him either?

Rook

He's so good when he plays on instinct. It's the moment he starts second guessing himself and tries to do more than he should that it seems to go wrong.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Couldn't agree more. It's not black or white. I like him but gosh he's frustrating as well.
It is who he is, either we accept it or we lose our shit. For what it's worth think snappy comments during matchday threads are never to be taken seriously. It's after the game that you clearly see who has a bit of common sense or who is straight loco.
But apparently praise without criticism makes you a ‘fanboi’ where as criticism without praise makes you. . . right.

I just find it startling that being supportive of our best player draws such ire from certain parts of the fanbase but had I called him s*** etc. for 60 minutes it’d all be fine.

We’ve just won a game 4-0 & ‘fans’ of the club are foaming at the mouth to tell everyone how rubbish our best player was for the majority of the game.

He didn’t have a good first half, maybe more, I forgot that Keane & Robson were great every 90+ minutes they played.

You are spot on.
Pogba is the most scrutinized and criticized player in the history of Man United (or at least what I have been watching since 1996-97 ish)

Correct. Today was classic Pogba. Equally brilliant and infuriating. On another day his performance would have lost us that match, yet today he won it. Such an enigma of a player.
He is a big enigma. He can great in so many various positions that it is impossible to say he is best there.
Never going to stick, there are so many crazy people in here.
There are fans who have agenda and they stick to it without giving themselves the chance to be proven wrong.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As I've said a million times before he's not a holding CM and not much good in a 2 man CM he's a ACM. He needs to be the furthest CM forward so the closest CM to goal, he should have been playing in Pereira's position today.
Disagree, he finds them pinged passes like for Rashfords goal when he's a bit deeper.
He did fine with the responsibility today as one of two centre mids, no problems.

Crashoutcassius

Great moments but the worst player on the pitch in the first half, consistently lost the ball and fell over and pounded the group, a bit part of why we looked so leaky (the other part being the wierd positioning of the two wingers which ole hinted was on purpose). Feel for him a bit in the pivot because we were structurally overwhelmed but frustrated with him on the ball in transition where half of our attacks ended with him being dispossessed.

As many have said it is well worth carrying him in games due to his quality in the vital moments. Just concerning that him being operational in a double pivot still looks miles away

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Correct. Today was classic Pogba. Equally brilliant and infuriating. On another day his performance would have lost us that match, yet today he won it. Such an enigma of a player.
He just doesn't have the football intelligence to be a game manager. He doesn't know when to circulate the ball and change the angle, when to play an extra pass, when to play one or two touch.

We need someone next to him that can do that and let him concentrate on playing the final ball or scoring goals. Find me a Carrick!

Crashoutcassius

He struggled a bit in the first half when the whole team did, and was brilliant when we played well.
He's not the kind of player to win a midfield battle for you, which is fine as long as he shows his quality.
He can hold onto the ball for too long, but sometimes he does need more options from those ahead of him.
Lingard and Pereira got a bit more into it in the second half which helped him.
All in all a really strong performance, no sulky demeanour either which some like predicted he would have if he didn't get his move.
Good points. I think he got nothing from periera at 10. disappointed for periera. he had more options when lingard was there and more again when chelsea totally opened up.

Bads news is probably that 1) most games he is going to find himself in situations like early in the game where opposition aren't over committing and 2) we seem to be very invested in playing him in a double pivot where, if he isn't going to win us those midfield battles we are going to lose every midfield battle

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Disagree, he finds them pinged passes like for Rashfords goal when he's a bit deeper.
He did fine with the responsibility today as one of two centre mids, no problems.
He is fine over the course of the game to drop into deep positions from ACM and ping those passes as playing behind a solid CM 2 should allow him to drift where he pleases.

However the gaps that often appear in our CM are partly down to his lack of defensive intensity which I don't blame him for at this point because he simply isn't a CM who will ever be good enough defensively, its simply not what he does so why saddle him with the kind of defensive responsibility that a player in a 2 man CM will have when you can get so much more from him creatively by simply allowing him to drift where he pleases without worrying so much about dealing with players running in behind him?

el3mel

Absolute beast in that second half when he stopped doing these stupid tricks and focused on what he does best.

The pass for the third goal was gorgeous and the counter attack he initiated in the 4th goal was a joy to watch.

More of this please.

Terminator

Nah, him repeatedly taking too many touches can’t be blamed on other players. Well done for trying though.
McT and Andreas were pretty quite in the first half and in their shell. You could see Pogbas passing improving once McT got into the game and made himself more available. Don't know how I'm 'trying' here, it was fairly obvious to see.

wylodyka

Solskjaer got balls playing him on the right side of the midfield duo or trio. I've never seen him playing there.

Gazza

I had to miss a lot of the second half and I haven't seen any heat maps but from what I saw Pogba was playing a bit too deep, no? Often picking up the ball just in front of the center backs. Not sure if this is out of necessity or Ole's Plan, but I think I'd like Pogba to start further forward ideally. Was he playing that deep according to y'all?

Mingus

That was a T.K. Maxx kind of performance. The occasional gem buried among the dross.

AJ Bullet

There are no half measures with him, you have to take the good with the bad in order to get those sublime moments of passing and driving runs that can win you a game and make the difference. You either love him or hate him, by now you know what your getting with him. The contrast of the first half to second half kind of showed what he is at times, bloody frustrating or bloody marvellous. If he could just be more like the second half and less like the first half more often then no problems at all. He will no doubt be are main creative source again though but through balls to Rashford/Martial/James/Lingard will hurt a lot of teams.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He could score 5 own goals before getting sent off and people on here would still say he was brilliant. 1 or 2 good passes over 90 minutes is nothing to celebrate.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I thought he was absolutely dreadful for most of the game and gave the ball away far too often. He's still got that horrible habit of trying spins/unnecessary bits of footwork in areas where you really can't afford the ball to be turned over, and at the age of 26 a midfielder should absolutely be cutting that down to an absolute minimum.

But my god the man has ability. I don't think there's a better player in the league in terms of pure ability to pick out a pass, the one weighted over the top for Rashford was gorgeous. But the days when those passes don't quite come off but he's still giving the ball away a lot are inevitably still going to be frustrating. Bottom line is though that he's one of the best creative midfielders in the league and easily the player I fear most whenever we play you .. has that bit of magic about him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought it was one of his worst games for us until he popped up with 2 brilliant assists.

I just wish he stopped showboating about with the ball. It was infuriating how often he did it today.

If he kept it simple more often, it'd help him and the team much more.

Devil may care

Played well, disciplined in the 2 and got 2 assists, he's vital to any hopes we have as he's still the only real creative passer.

Baneofthegame

He was sloppy in possession at times and swelled on the ball a lot, but ultimately showed his brilliance in the second half when the team was performing better as a whole.

fps

I strongly believe he downed tools at certain points under Mourinho. But he seems a decent guy, if he's going to be here, and this is his last season, I hope we can enjoy him for what he is. Perhaps his 360 turn to nowhere and dispossession is met with "classic Paul" rather than vitriol. If he can get United back into the Top 4 before getting his move, and we get the money to buy 2 quality midfielders to replace him, then fair play to him.

Macca7

If he cut out holding on to the ball for so long and kept it simple it would improve his game 10 fold. Sadly, I don't think he ever will. Its his 4th? season here now and he's still doing it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Pass to Rashford was fantastic. But he still has too many errors in his game. A player of his caliber should have ironed those out by now IMO.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I strongly believe he downed tools at certain points under Mourinho. But he seems a decent guy, if he's going to be here, and this is his last season, I hope we can enjoy him for what he is. Perhaps his 360 turn to nowhere and dispossession is met with "classic Paul" rather than vitriol. If he can get United back into the Top 4 before getting his move, and we get the money to buy 2 quality midfielders to replace him, then fair play to him.
I mean, he did, but then at the start of Ole's tenure he improved drastically - had a fantastic spell of form where he seemed to really be developing into the genuine heartbeat of the team we'd been waiting for him to come. Ultimately he's probably quite a frustrating player, but I don't think he's entirely chucked it as such and if our fortunes improve and morale in the dressing rooms picks up as a result, no reason he can't have a strong season.

arnie_ni

If he had someone like jorghino(sp) next to him and mctominay to dictate play, circulate possession and allow him to Express himself more he would be fantastic.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I had to miss a lot of the second half and I haven't seen any heat maps but from what I saw Pogba was playing a bit too deep, no? Often picking up the ball just in front of the center backs. Not sure if this is out of necessity or Ole's Plan, but I think I'd like Pogba to start further forward ideally. Was he playing that deep according to y'all?
Played roughly where you'd expect him to in a double pivot, I'd say. McTom was slightly deeper on the whole.

It's where Ole wants him to play, by all accounts, like it or not.

starman

One of the best players in the world going forward, but out of possession he is pretty terrible. In that regard he is a luxury player, but with these types of players, you get moments of brilliance, as shown for his two assists

Stacks

Very sloppy in the 1st half to the extend where you hoped no Real scouts were watching him. Once again he shows why even if he frustrates you, there is no question he must play as he can do things like today.

arnie_ni

Played roughly where you'd expect him to in a double pivot, I'd say. McTom was slightly deeper on the whole.

It's where Ole wants him to play, by all accounts, like it or not.
We have no one else to do that. It should have been a priority signing tbh but lets hope he can still be involved in the final third enough times in a game to influence it.

Status
Not open for further replies.