Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Side note: How much weight has he put on since last season? He looks to be carrying at least 10 extra pounds

edcunited1878

As I've said a million times before he's not a holding CM and not much good in a 2 man CM he's a ACM. He needs to be the furthest CM forward so the closest CM to goal, he should have been playing in Pereira's position today.
United cannot play a high press or high tempo game from the front line if Pogba is part of that forward line. Same reason why he wouldn't get into that Liverpool team...he doesn't function well in that high pressing/closing down team when he himself has to do it more times than not. His passing and ability to take players on from deep helps the team more.

OL29

He could score 5 own goals before getting sent off and people on here would still say he was brilliant. 1 or 2 good passes over 90 minutes is nothing to celebrate.
He could create 2 goals in an opening day 4-0 win against Chelsea and people on here would still say he’s rubbish. A few sloppy bits of play is nothing to complain about.

MDFC Manager

Side note: How much weight has he put on since last season? He looks to be carrying at least 10 extra pounds
He's not close to match fitness yet. Which is pleasing in a way, he'll get better and sharper:drool:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We have no one else to do that. It should have been a priority signing tbh but lets hope he can still be involved in the final third enough times in a game to influence it.
Might be the best setup given the options, sure.

At least against presumably good opponents.

We can hope Fred emerges as a realistic alternative, though - he's a bit of an unknown factor at the moment (not ready to write him off myself).

At any rate, today's performance does prove that he's capable of influencing matters greatly from a deeper default position - which I never doubted. The problem is that his frustrating/negative traits as a midfielder are much more noticeable (and potentially much more detrimental/dangerous) in that position.

We should have built the team around him when he first arrived. He's that good.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
United cannot play a high press or high tempo game from the front line if Pogba is part of that forward line. Same reason why he wouldn't get into that Liverpool team...he doesn't function well in that high pressing/closing down team when he himself has to do it more times than not. His passing and ability to take players on from deep helps the team more.
No it's definitely a fallacy to suggest that he can't play in a high pressing side as the most advanced CM, in fact he is far better suited to this role than playing as a CM in a two.

When playing in a two he simply doesn't smell danger or tackle or press from deep with enough intensity to ever be more than a defensive liability there. On the other hand he is actually far better at pressing high up the pitch as for me he is clearly a player who comes alive when he sees the opportunity to assist or score, and provided a really good assist this way for Alexis Sanchez against Spurs in the FA cup about two seasons ago.

For me he will simply never have the right mentality to shield a defence in the way that a deep lying playmaker should at times and this should have been the one thing we learnt about him from Mourinho's time here.

If we train him to play in an organised high press he would perform that role far better than as a defensive liability in a CM two.

arthurka

I dont give a toss about what anyone else says but without him we are going to struggle big time. He isnt perfect but when he is good he is just so damn good.

Tarrou

the team should be setup around him because his passing in the final third is world class

instead we're starting him too deep where his weaknesses will get exposed (takes too many touches, sloppy short passing etc..)

that through ball and finish by Rashford was absolutely stunning football

Icemav

He was incredible when he needed to be and very good overall.

ash_86

Just keep him around till Zidane gets sacked and Jose takes over at Real. He'll be ours forever

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I think by the end of the year ole will figure out we would be a lot better as a team if we lined up like this or something like it

Martial
Rashford - Pogba - Lingard
McT - Matic
You pretty much waste all Pogba best attributes by playing him in a 2.

Icemav

the team should be setup around him because his passing in the final third is world class

instead we're starting him too deep where his weaknesses will get exposed (takes too many touches, sloppy short passing etc..)

that through ball and finish by Rashford was absolutely stunning football
It was and also the driving run and beautiful layoff for James. The only negative is that he didnt score 3 himself and create another 2 himself for a 9-0 win.

Tarrou

It was and also the driving run and beautiful layoff for James. The only negative is that he didnt score 3 himself and create another 2 himself for a 9-0 win.
I’m not sure what your point is there

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His midfield play was extremely sloppy. In the heart of midfield who needs player who will press diligently, think on their feet and be reliable in tight situations. Never really felt he's a proper CM anyway.

On the other hand, when it comes to driving us forward and playing the defence splitting pass, he was, as usually, excellent.

Very happy with his display, all in all, but it also points to what he's suitable at (and what he's not).

RobbieBerns

There was a point where he came short to receive a ball from a center back while under pressure from two Chelsea players, and he sold the shoulder drop/weight shift so hard that he was off to the races on a counter attack without even touching the ball.

Can’t stand it when he kills the ball dead and invites an opposing player to push up on him, especially when he does it in our half. If he’s going to continue to play deeper he has to start simplifying the way he bypasses opposition pressure.

Icemav

I’m not sure what your point is there
That posters, not you, on this forum have unblievably high expectations of this particular player. He had a great game in the most important aspect, scoring goals. I mean 2 fabulous world class assists should be enough and his all round play was good too.

predator

Youth NITK
Very good performance. He still keeps hold of the ball too long, as always, but he's absolutely our best outfield player by a mile. I bet he is a nightmare to play against. So strong, so creative, so intelligent.

edcunited1878

No it's definitely a fallacy to suggest that he can't play in a high pressing side as the most advanced CM, in fact he is far better suited to this role than playing as a CM in a two.

When playing in a two he simply doesn't smell danger or tackle or press from deep with enough intensity to ever be more than a defensive liability there. On the other hand he is actually far better at pressing high up the pitch as for me he is clearly a player who comes alive when he sees the opportunity to assist or score, and provided a really good assist this way for Alexis Sanchez against Spurs in the FA cup about two seasons ago.

For me he will simply never have the right mentality to shield a defence in the way that a deep lying playmaker should at times and this should have been the one thing we learnt about him from Mourinho's time here.

If we train him to play in an organised high press he would perform that role far better than as a defensive liability in a CM two.
I agree he isn't the most suited as a deeper center mid, but that is the most effective position for now. Especially because United are short on quality, aside from himself, in central mid.

Pogba was successful at Juve in a midfield 3 and with a holding mid behind him and an 8 next to him. We saw it a bit last year when he was the advanced midfielder under Ole during their good run, but Matic and Herrera had to cover all of his defensive duties and ground.

The ground covered by Lingard defensively and offensively and the constant movement is something I don't believe Pogba can do. But ideally, and I think this is where you're going at, Pogba would play an advanced position closer to goal in the hole or as the most advanced out of a midfield 3. I agree this would be a really good position for him, but United don't have the proper players to allow Pogba to play this position.

He played a deeper, more disciplined role for France and they won the WC.

Hawks2008

And people want us to sell this guy like we wouldn't be fecked without him. The narrative and agenda against him from some people is unreal and it was all on show during the first half. Slow start but showed why he's our best player today.

Icemav

I think by the end of the year ole will figure out we would be a lot better as a team if we lined up like this or something like it

Martial
McT - Matic
Agree that in a 2 its not always preferred unless set up to counter which is why we ripped them apart in the 2nd half. However pairing Mctom and Matic could be dreadful and not a solution as we saw in preseason. I suppose thats why Ole resisted the temptation to do it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This game was Pogba in a nutshell tbh. Playing in a deeper role, he gives it way so sloppily some times and it can really bite you in the ass, but hes also a equally capable of brilliant pieces of play and make chances out of nothing. Hope he has a great season, but definitely think it's his last one here. Will likely need a couple of midfielders next year.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Two assists so I can't rate him too lowly. But I feel like he wasn't playing like a centre midfielder. Some of his basic passing was off and he lost the ball a few times trying to overcomplicate things.

Longlivekeano

Body language showed obvious disinterest. Seems similar towards end of Mourinho’s management.

Still our classiest midfielder though even though it looked like he only gave 40% of his best

Tarrou

That posters, not you, on this forum have unblievably high expectations of this particular player. He had a great game in the most important aspect, scoring goals. I mean 2 fabulous world class assists should be enough and his all round play was good too.
Ah yeah, understood

I was never one of those people but I expect i’ll be more prone to criticizing him more after he agitated for a move - so I think you can expect those posters to be a lot harsher now as well!

tjb

I would still sell Pogba, but not now, next season...after we have a year to find and purchase his replacement. What is clear to me is that we do not need a replacement for him in the pivot, but we do need to make up for the creativity he provides. His short passing, defensive work movement and even control were and have been sloppy at various parts throughout his time here, and that is not suitable in the long run for what we are trying to build. Very good player, but I have never felt his style of play has suited us or the premier league in general. Pogba is best when he has time and space to operate, where his physicality makes a difference. In Italy or Spain, he would have a far greater influence on how the game is played, even from deeper areas, than he has in England. It reminds me of Veron.
We should focus on signing two players to replace him. One who can play in the double pivot, the more box to box player, and another who is more of an attacking number 10, that provides the drive and movement that lingard provides, but with the end product to make it effective.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Martial
McT - Matic
Agreed with this. One of the biggest reasons for his conflict with Jose was how he was played too deep and Pogba neither likes it or is at his best there. If we had an excellent #10 you could argue for him being deeper, but we dont, so i see no reason why Pogba should not play there. I really hope we do some business during the Christmas window though. We are ridiculously thin in attack and MF and are overstocked in defense.

Losing Herrera was a big blow imo. He could partner McT or Matic in CM, which would have given Ole more freedom to play Pogba further up. Lets just hope Fred can step up

OL29

Body language showed obvious disinterest. Seems similar towards end of Mourinho’s management.

Still our classiest midfielder though even though it looked like he only gave 40% of his best
His body language was no different than usual, why do people make these statements with such conviction, based on no evidence. By all accounts he’s trained hard and remained professional throughout the summer but the experts on here still slate him as unprofessional.

Can7onA

More to do with him saying theres big question marks over his future, just shut up and play ffs.

Ander herrera the warrior

Judging by Ole's comment on Pogba, I think we could see him in the number 10 position with Fred and Mctominay in a midfield 2 in the next game or after that. That would be best for now I think.

jackal&hyde

Thought he was a bit sloppy in the first half (though a number of players seemed to have difficulty in keeping their balance for some reason) but then he did what Pogba does and bossed the midfield making 2 fantastic asists . What a player!

Devil77

Despite two assists, very careless on the ball and defensively. Fred should start the next game, because we can't afford to lose that many balls so close to our goal. When he's on the counter though, he is something else.
Isn’t that the biggest problem with Fred? That he keeps losing possession, often in dangerous areas.

Thought it was a typical Pogba performance. Sloppy in possession, frustrating as heck and then pops up with two brilliant assists. We certainly need him to stay.

Patrick08

He gave away a record number of passes and was pretty poor yet ended up with 2 assists. i really just dont understand why he won't try and fix his limitations to the game. At what point does he realize that he doesnt need to mess around in his position?
He is a world cup winner and doesn't need any instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.